• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulik2

So are they gonna actually do a best of the generation? 'Cause I really want to hear it. My suggestion would be best game of the generation, worst game of the generation, most important game of the generation and biggest news story of the generation.

M3z_

I really hope they don't do a best game of the gen, a list of unranked 10 would be cool but narrowing to 1 sounds stupid as hell to me. The compromising to reach an agreed on single game would be tortuous to listen to.

jediyoshi

I really hope they don't do a best game of the gen, a list of unranked 10 would be cool but narrowing to 1 sounds stupid as hell to me. The compromising to reach an agreed on single game would be tortuous to listen to.

Even categories like genre or platform would be more entertaining and meaningful. The amount of preface needed to handle a straight list is just silly for them and for anyone making sense of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You're missing the point!

Them making really dumb arguments to narrow it to meaninglessly specific numbers is what makes them great.

Lunzio

I think it'd be pretty rad to come up with an unranked list of the 10 most influential games, but then break each game down into why it specifically either progressed the genre or creating an entirely new one.

valeo

I think it's a pretty horrible idea. They agree that it's arbitrary and pointless yet they want to do it anyway because they can't think of any other original content to produce..?

Chuck

Still without luck
Yeah I don't want it either. Jeff's bad taste and strong influence would just make for a crappy list anyway.

M3z_

You're missing the point!

Them making really dumb arguments to narrow it to meaninglessly specific numbers is what makes them great.

I disagree. Every year hearing them come to a list of 10 that represents the staff is interesting and an opportunity to hear them talk glowingly about the year that was. Then listening to them argue about who #1 is by shitting on tremendous games as the only means to insert their favorite game up the list is stupid.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Burnout: Paradise
5. Dark Souls

That's pretty much how I reckon it'd come out, considering the tastes of the crew collectively. I'm probably being way too optimistic thinking Dark Souls would get the number 5 slot, but a man can dream!

ryanmac

Banned
So are they gonna actually do a best of the generation? 'Cause I really want to hear it. My suggestion would be best game of the generation, worst game of the generation, most important game of the generation and biggest news story of the generation.

They mentioned in a recent podcast they would tackle that at the end of 2014.

1. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
5. Dark Souls

That's pretty much how I reckon it'd come out, considering the tastes of the crew collectively. I'm probably being way too optimistic thinking Dark Souls would get the number 5 slot, but a man can dream!

Jeff didn't like RDR at all, sadly. It's destined either not to be among the rankings or very low unless the other guys back it hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dark Souls is not winning GOTG from Giant Bomb. Even Vinny who likes it doesn't seem like he thinks it's the greatest thing on the planet.
Yeah I don't want it either. Jeff's bad taste and strong influence would just make for a crappy list anyway.
Not enough Citizen Kane, REAL HUMAN EMOTION story for you?

LackingSaint

Neo Member
Jeff didn't like RDR at all, sadly. It's destined either not to be among the rankings or very low unless the other guys back it hard.

That's why I put CoD4 so high and Burnout: Paradise in the top 5; I can see Jeff being willing to let RDR (and Dark Souls) slide through as long as he gets those games up there, considering what a fondness he has for them both.

That's why I put CoD4 so high and Burnout: Paradise in the top 5; I can see Jeff being willing to let RDR (and Dark Souls) slide through as long as he gets those games up there, considering what a fondness he has for them both.

I think you're letting your feelings cloud your judgement. RDR and DS would never make a top 5, or 10. Where's Bioshock? Where's GTAIV? Where's Uncharted 2? They are more passionate, individually and as a group, about those games. Heck, Saints Row The Third would probably be above RDR and DS, unless they want to backstab it again like the Skyrim debate.

I think you're letting your feelings cloud your judgement. RDR and DS would never make a top 5, or 10. Where's Bioshock? Where's GTAIV? Where's Uncharted 2? They are more passionate, individually and as a group, about those games. Heck, Saints Row The Third would probably be above RDR and DS, unless they want to backstab it again like the Skyrim debate.

GTA IV?!

M3z_

Who at GB would argue for Dark Souls on the top 5? Vinny? He would be far more likely to vote for something like ACII:Brotherhood and he would get more support from the other members with that as well. Vinny has played it and likes it, Brad has played some, but seems to have stopped to wait for DS2, and Patrick barely started.

LackingSaint

Neo Member

I haven't actually played Red Dead Redemption, and am not really interested in doing so, i'm just going off of remembering the games that the different members of staff are into. Hindsight is a hell of a thing, and honestly I could see MGS4 getting more of a fight for the Top 5 than GTA4. And, I dunno, are there really GB Staffers who are THAT into BioShock?

Like I said, Dark Souls is just me being hopeful, and I based it being there mostly on the Community having it as their 2nd place GOTG. Often, the opinions of the community and staff do tend to match up, though that's probably not the case with DS.

justjim89

Excited to hear the next Powerbombcast now that they have this new WWE Network to talk about. I may have to choose between that or re-subbing to Giant Bomb. Damn.

Zaph

I would totally sub to WWE if the Top Men could make a feature to use your login details to pull in whatever wrestling video GB wanted so they could simultaneously talk/comment over it either live or recorded. And make it weekly.

elektrixx

Banned
I totally forgot about this until now. I had a near five hour round trip last week to make and realised I had no podcasts... until I noticed I had the This Year 2013 compilation synced to my phone that covered for the entire trip! I was so damn happy.

I can't remember if I pitched in way back during the first compilations of The HotSpot, but that golden moment alone was worth a second donation.

megalowho

Jeff doesn't like a number of titles that would make a general consensus games of the generation list. Not even lukewarm feelings, straight up dislike/won't play. Hearing a bunch of negativity about great games that happen to have cowboys/zombies/animation priority when they all deserve to be celebrated doesn't sound like a terribly appealing way to wrap up the 360/PS3/Wii to me.

I kind of like the way they handled Hall of Fame stuff over at Gamespot, highlighting an assortment of the greatest/favorite games of various staff members with glowing writeups. Keeping it positive. That's all I really want I suppose, a good old fashioned love-in about games instead of arguing for arguments sake.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really liked the Flashbacks Gamespot did back in the day. Kind of hope they do those for 360/PS3/Etc. I think they only did them back then for PS1 and NES though.

Patryn

1. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
5. Dark Souls

After listening to the podcast, I'm not sure Mass Effect 2 has a shot of making the Top 5, much less the number 1.

My guess? Call of Duty 4 is 1, followed by Burnout Paradise and Wii Sports. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Uncharted 2 higher than Mass Effect 2.

NES Remix looks awfully uncreative. The concept of the game is great, but for fuck's sake come up with something more interesting than "In this one, the sky is light blue instead of blue!! :O :O :O"

I'll just go and play Super Mario Crossover.

Kerned

Banned
I didn't know until yesterday that the Daily Challenge is now available for PS3/Vita Spelunky. I'm totally back on that train.

popo

I doubt they will do this generation thing, but if they do, it will just be a podcast. Vinny confirms, on his tumblr, what we all expected - that individual top ten videos were dropped due to their short staffing and last years amazing tv spoof videos nearly killed them.

We just didn’t have the manpower. 2012 we stretched too far (though I love the videos) and even with the help of the fantastic Andy B. from GameSpot, Drew and I still have some serious scars from that one. For 2013 we had an even smaller staff and Andy, sadly, had real work to do. Probably our smallest GOTY team since year one. We had to either do Day Recaps or Top Tens. We decided we would miss the Recaps more if we cut them. I would have liked to integrate the personal Top Tens into the Recaps better but we didn’t have the time. Still wound up working 15 hour days near the end but it’s the first year I didn’t sleep at the office. Very proud of the work we did even without considering the resource constraints.

http://vincentcaravella.tumblr.com/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I never "got" Mass Effect 2, I liked Mordin a lot but I guess I was bitter about it losing all the RPG stuff and having a bad plot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I doubt they will do this generation thing, but if they do, it will just be a podcast. Vinny confirms, on his tumblr, what we all expected - that individual top ten videos were dropped due to their short staffing and last years amazing tv spoof videos nearly killed them.

http://vincentcaravella.tumblr.com/

Understandable but unfortunate. I couldn't care less about the recap videos because I've already listened to the podcast and find the discussion far more interesting. With an individual top ten they can comment on why they felt the game belonged when it missed the group choices.

demidar

I never "got" Mass Effect 2, I liked Mordin a lot but I guess I was bitter about it losing all the RPG stuff and having a bad plot.

I'm the same way. Despite how rough (really rough) ME1 was, it was a unique fusion of RPG and shooting set in a unique world... err galaxy. I was looking forward to Bioware shining up the rough spots, but instead they turned it into a mediocre shooter in a claustrophobic world filled with chest-high walls. The RPG elements were completely torn out leaving shooting and biotics, they made biotic powers share a cooldown which meant diversifying your power set was mostly useless and it was impossible to string together powers without the help of a teammate. Restricting weapon types to specific classes removed customization. The Renegade/Paragon system was complete shit, requiring you to go all the way in either direction in order to make morality choices worth a damn. The complete segregation between non-combat and combat areas made the world feel chopped up rather than contiguous like it was in ME1. The weapon heat sink system had so much promise with interaction between weapon powers, character skills (that they lobotomized) and weapon mods but nope let's just put in a bog-standard magazine system that kicks our lore in the face.

ME1 wasn't that great of a game, but it had massive potential. Then they took all that potential and turned it into pure shit for me. Thanks Bioware.

PBY

Banned
Jeff doesn't like a number of titles that would make a general consensus games of the generation list. Not even lukewarm feelings, straight up dislike/won't play. Hearing a bunch of negativity about great games that happen to have cowboys/zombies/animation priority when they all deserve to be celebrated doesn't sound like a terribly appealing way to wrap up the 360/PS3/Wii to me.

I kind of like the way they handled Hall of Fame stuff over at Gamespot, highlighting an assortment of the greatest/favorite games of various staff members with glowing writeups. Keeping it positive. That's all I really want I suppose, a good old fashioned love-in about games instead of arguing for arguments sake.
Lists are inherently meaningless. Who cares about the outcome- its the process.

I don't need glowing write ups for games, that honestly sounds like something I'd never read.

Got damn, Vinny beat Gwynn way too easy. :(

He should have suffered like I suffered. Really anti-climactic. He was even stunning him for christ sakes. Was funny when power within killed him though lol

megalowho

Lists are inherently meaningless. Who cares about the outcome- its the process.

I don't need glowing write ups for games, that honestly sounds like something I'd never read.
Well, they don't need to be writeups, that's clearly not the site's focus nowadays. I'm just saying, I prefer positive discussion when we're talking about a bunch of great games instead of arguments, er, the "process."

sikkinixx

Holy shit at scoops beating capra in one go.

I don't get all the mystique surrounding the Capra Demon. The dogs die in one hit, you can cheese the shit out of him by running up the stairs and waiting until he jumps down. Or just pelt him with magic while running away.

njean777

I don't get all the mystique surrounding the Capra Demon. The dogs die in one hit, you can cheese the shit out of him by running up the stairs and waiting until he jumps down. Or just pelt him with magic while running away.

For a new person to the series it isn't exactly the easiest fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom