• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

Also, I know it's not quite weekend Giant Bomb thread yet, but it'd be pretty hilarious to see Drew cosplaying as Volgarr himself based on the beginning of the stream.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the Nintendo Direct where it was announced really pissed him off. It was a parade of things Jeff hates.

I'm only a little joking, I really think he's still mad about it.

Edit: For what it's worth, people who own the game (not I) were saying Jeff was being really misleading about NES Remix and that he didn't unlock any of the content that would fix his complaints (I think those were separate points but I can't expound since I never played it.)

Isn't one of his criticisms is that you have to unlock it? Seems fair enough.

Haunted

Isn't one of his criticisms is that you have to unlock it? Seems fair enough.
He seemed to complain about a lot of things which might or might not actually apply to the game.

Too easy/mundane/boring -> dies plenty of times during the QL
Not interesting enough with their mix-ups -> videos itself showcases a couple interesting twists and there's more crazy stuff later
Treats you like an idiot -> well, yeah. It can be really infuriating to be treated that way if you're a seasoned gamer and can sour one's whole perception of the rest of the game and I suspect this plays some part in his very negative outlook and stance.

That said, he can complain about it being too slow to ramp up for his skill level and that's fair enough, but complaining about the cool stuff not being in there even if it's in there and denying the cool stuff that's being shown right on the screen (which Brad and Vinny mostly pointed out) was pretty weird and felt overly negative - which is why it's been mentioned by quite a few people in this thread.

edit: funnily enough, I don't but plan on buying NES Remix and don't really care all that much about Nintendo shitting, but there's some sort of need to voice my opinion when I feel a game is being misrepresented. :lol Same with the Max game, which they were pretty damn harsh on.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Here's what I know about Dynasty Warriors

-2 had a bitchin soundtrack
-I found two infinites in 2 and I suck at finding stuff like that out on my own
-It was awesome when I was 10

Manbig

Is there anything about Dynasty Warriors that shouldn't be mocked?

I dunno man. That gameplay formula brings out the inner fanboy in me when they attach certain licenses to it. I really dug the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. I'll probably dig the Zelda one. WWE should let them make one because... why not?

Haunted

Dynasty Warriors is like that beginning scene from The Lord of the Rings movie where Sauron just walks into the other army and starts sending dudes flying left and right.

Haunted

Kind of what that Two Towers game was for Gamecube.
Eh, there's something to be said about Dynasty Warriors being one of the few games that truly nail that feeling of empowerment. Yes, most other action games have you going around slashing a lot of enemies and beating one wave after another (War in the North also does that for LotR), but none have you sending a bunch of dudes flying quite like DW.

That said, I left the series when Tecmo Koei didn't update anything except the shaders and assets from the original PS2 versions for the last generation games. Same shitty animations, same shitty physics from 10+ years ago, unacceptable.

Xater

Eh, there's something to be said about Dynasty Warriors being one of the few games that truly nail that feeling of empowerment. Yes, most other action games have you going around slashing a lot of enemies and beating one wave after another (War in the North also does that for LotR), but none have you sending a bunch of dudes flying quite like DW.

That said, I left the series when Tecmo Koei didn't update anything except the shaders and assets from the original PS2 versions for the last generation games. Same shitty animations, same shitty physics from 10+ years ago, unacceptable.

They are using a completely new engine now with DW8.

Pumped to see Brad finally slay Volgar.
I really need to pick up a copy and give it a try.
I kept thinking that the game can't be that hard while he was playing it but I'm sure I will get worked.

Fox318

Have they made an official statement as to if TNT will ever come back?

I know they are short on staff but I'm just curious.

Zaph

Why?

From the hotspot days to giantbomb they always used to do a live show on Thursday.
Jeff's mentioned TNT's future on his tumblr a few times. IIRC he said they never enjoyed doing it and were looking at changing/scrapping it anyway. But it might come back as a one-off if there's a need.

Glad it's gone. Aside from the occasional party or board game (or Battlefield insanity), it was boring as fuck. There would be up to 10 minute stretches of just staring at the TV in silence. Stuff like Volgarr is so much better.

Jeff's mentioned TNT's future on his tumblr a few times. IIRC he said they never enjoyed doing it and were looking at changing/scrapping it anyway. But it might come back as a one-off if there's a need.

Glad it's gone. Aside from the occasional party or board game (or Battlefield insanity), it was boring as fuck. There would be up to 10 minute stretches of just staring at the TV in silence. Stuff like Volgarr is so much better.

3D0 , Fortune Street and Dead Island Co-op Best TNT's EVER. Edit I forgot the two Card against Humanity TNT's!

Brashnir

3D0 , Fortune Street and Dead Island Co-op Best TNT's EVER. Edit I forgot the two Card against Humanity TNT's!

yeah, those were good, but the vast majority of the shows boiled down to, "Well Shooter and/or Racer XYZ came out this week, so let's play Shooter and/or Racer XYZ."

I liked most when they had guests on. There was a really good one with Gary Whitta where him, Ryan, and Jeff started to 'wake up" out of the SHOOTERSHOOTERSHOOTER doldrums by talking while playing a shooter.

Kerned

Banned
I liked most when they had guests on. There was a really good one with Gary Whitta where him, Ryan, and Jeff started to 'wake up" out of the SHOOTERSHOOTERSHOOTER doldrums by talking while playing a shooter.

The couple of TNTs where they had developers on playing their games were awesome. It was only ever Brad Muir and Dave Lang if I remember right, but I would love to see a series more alone those lines. Learning the stories behind the games is really interesting, like all of Dave Lang's hidden photos in... whatever that was he worked on way back when.

Brashnir

The couple of TNTs where they had developers on playing their games were awesome. It was only ever Brad Muir and Dave Lang if I remember right, but I would love to see a series more alone those lines. Learning the stories behind the games is really interesting, like all of Dave Lang's hidden photos in... whatever that was he worked on way back when.

Doesn't even really need to be a TNT at that point though. They can just do that on UnProFri.

Kerned

Banned
Doesn't even really need to be a TNT at that point though. They can just do that on UnProFri.

Totally. The standard TNT format is dull and I'm not too sad it's gone. They could do a developer-focused show like the ones I mentioned once a month or so, it wouldn't need to be weekly. I think UnProFri is really best for goofy nonsense (well, I mean a greater degree of goofy nonsense than usual) and pet oddball games, so it might not be the best fit for that stuff.

Defunkled

Vinny and Brad saying that they're going to check out Revengeance during the PC quick look warms my heart. Easily my favorite game of last year.

popo

I have heard a couple people this week saying that their sub ran out early - seems to be a billing bug. The good thing is that Rorie should sort you out in a timely manner - something that could not be said about support before they hired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom