• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Shocked Brad and Vinny didn't play MGR. They would totally enjoy it. Also disappointed Jeff hasn't played Bayonetta. He would love it. Ryan adored Bayonetta (360 version).

That NES Remix Quick Look was painful.

I'll admit I haven't seen much of these guys, but based on that video I can't understand why I'd ever want to. The guy playing made almost no attempt to even understand the game and demonstrated no gaming skill or unique perspectives. I understand not being interested in the game for whatever reasons but it just came across as whiny and lazy, and misinformative on top of that. Lame.

Curufinwe

Normal difficulty is fine for a first playthru of any of those games (and of course on Bayo it's compulsory). I think Bayonetta or MGR would be much more interesting to watch than Vanquish.

What Brad and Vinny should be doing as a premium feature is playing REmake on the WiiU. There really couldn't be a more perfect pair to play/talk about that game, and it still holds up graphically thru HDMI or on the GamePad.

a33j.jpg
ovcw.jpg

This week's podcast... GB talking about the Sony presentation sounded like the GAF GB thread talking about GB.
Any reason why they missed the PlayStation Now [and] sales figure stuff as it happened? Was that announced in a separate presentation?

[EDIT - This is a question to anyone in the thread and not necessarily just you, FStop!]

Mesoian

Bayo, Vanquish or MGR on Hard and above. It would be great with Vinny commentary over the ridiculous stuff.

You know, more than that, I'd REALLY love to watch him play W101, but I think he would get too frustrated before he hits the sweet spot of understanding how that game works.

W101 is so fucking good, I think i'd go as far as to say that it's Platinum's best game.

kylej

Banned
Holy shit did something happen to Jeff? He was pretty nasty in that NES remix QL.

Jeff has been in a nasty mood for a while now. He used the word "hate" many times during GOTY deliberations for the most bizarre reasons. Like, really, you HATE the effect used in the Amnesia OST? Chill out...

What they listened to was Sony's CES conference. Where the PlayStation news was announced was the day after, during Kaz Hirai's keynote.
Ah, I see. Obviously I know their recording schedule (I'm the one always being snarky about people complaining about the Bombcast being late/early when it rarely actually is!) and I heard Kaz talking in the bit Jeff mixed in on the podcast and assumed that was 'his' presentation.

Thanks bsigg for the reply as well!

MonsterDunk

Giant Bomb eSports Editor
Jeff has been in a nasty mood for a while now. He used the word "hate" many times during GOTY deliberations for the most bizarre reasons. Like, really, you HATE the effect used in the Amnesia OST? Chill out...

I don't think I've ever heard the Amnesia soundtrack, so I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here. But don't let that stop you!

FluxWaveZ

You mean when Patrick gave the example during the deliberations? I think it was simply a reaction to that style of music being unnerving.

Shocked Brad and Vinny didn't play MGR. They would totally enjoy it. Also disappointed Jeff hasn't played Bayonetta. He would love it. Ryan adored Bayonetta (360 version).

Ryan liked it for the spectacle and I think the same is true of Jeff and Rising. It's a shame that none of them ever want to scratch deeper than the surface on character action games.

It's probably one reason DmC and Ryse appealed so greatly to them, you don't have to go deeper to receive positive reinforcement.

It's probably for the best that you've popped in today Jeff and not last week when the topic of conversation was the 'best-of' alt.sports.gerstmann

(Please don't ban me, EmCee :'( )

fleck0

I think Jeff doesn't like Remix because he's in his 30s and Nintendo has been trying to re-sell those exact games to him for most of his life.

Chris R

I think Jeff doesn't like Remix because he's in his 30s and Nintendo has been trying to re-sell those exact games to him for most of his life.

Based just on that quick look I have no interest in ever picking it up if/when I get a WiiU. I would have wanted something more like Wario Ware with ONLY the really remixed stages, coming at me fast.

As eSports editor does Jeff spend his days removing any sign of eSports from the site Brad tries to sneak in?

Except for that god damn World of Tanks tournament ad of course. Got to pay the bills and answer the call of eSports!

Acid08

Banned
Ryan liked it for the spectacle and I think the same is true of Jeff and Rising. It's a shame that none of them ever want to scratch deeper than the surface on character action games.

It's probably one reason DmC and Ryse appealed so greatly to them, you don't have to go deeper to receive positive reinforcement.
Ryse appealed to them?

LiK

To be fair, when Patrick was describing the sort of off-tempo scratchy nature of the Amnesia soundtrack Jeff had a very negative reaction.

He's in such a bad mood he even hates shit he doesn't know anything about! My man.

I dunno, I feel like Jeff likes to troll their enthusiasm at times. It's funny. I don't remember this specific convo that well.

I'll admit I haven't seen much of these guys, but based on that video I can't understand why I'd ever want to. The guy playing made almost no attempt to even understand the game and demonstrated no gaming skill or unique perspectives. I understand not being interested in the game for whatever reasons but it just came across as whiny and lazy, and misinformative on top of that. Lame.

Eh. Although I will not describe Jeff as a "speed run level" player, I would not say that description applies to him, specially about retro games.

Quentyn

Except for that god damn World of Tanks tournament ads of course. Got to pay the builds and answer the call of eSports!

Oh God, that stupid thing makes me renew my subscription more than anything else. Also every time I hear it I am more convinced that it is Chris Waters who is doing the voice over.

Eh. Although I will not describe Jeff as a "speed run level" player, I would not say that description applies to him, specially about retro games.

I'm not saying he doesn't possess skill, just that it wasn't on display in the video -- probably due to his disinterest, which was palpable. I guess he was decent at Excitebike.

I still think the video was lame though. He certainly hadn't put much effort into learning anything about the game to communicate to the audience. I just have difficulty comprehending the purpose of a video like this -- uninformed guy plays game he has no interest in. It may make sense in context if you're already a fan for other reasons, but to me it seems like they're doing their viewers a disservice and wasting everyone's time, including their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom