• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
To be fair, when Patrick was describing the sort of off-tempo scratchy nature of the Amnesia soundtrack Jeff had a very negative reaction.

He's in such a bad mood he even hates shit he doesn't know anything about! My man.

I remember it as being he didn't like it as in it was really unnerving and creepy rather than poorly done.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Something must've really been off about that Amnesia sequel, because I haven't heard anything about it, or anyone singing praises. All i really heard is that it was more like Dear Esther than horror, but the first one was such a hype machine that it sounds disappointing.

Something must've really been off about that Amnesia sequel, because I haven't heard anything about it, or anyone singing praises. All i really heard is that it was more like Dear Esther than horror, but the first one was such a hype machine that it sounds disappointing.

Pretty much plus IIRC the new one removed the lantern and insanity mechanic so it seemed like the dev who made it was just flexing their muscles on the story/atmohpere stuff.

And from what I remember some fans didn't like that

Brashnir

I'm not saying he doesn't possess skill, just that it wasn't on display in the video -- probably due to his disinterest, which was palpable. I guess he was decent at Excitebike.

I still think the video was lame though. He certainly hadn't put much effort into learning anything about the game to communicate to the audience. I just have difficulty comprehending the purpose of a video like this -- uninformed guy plays game he has no interest in. It may make sense in context if you're already a fan for other reasons, but to me it seems like they're doing their viewers a disservice and wasting everyone's time, including their own.

They did me a service by showing me what a horrendous slog the beginning of that game is.

Chris R

They did me a service by showing me what a horrendous slog the beginning of that game is.

And that is the purpose of a quick look. Take a game, and play a part of it near the start. Sure the levels you eventually unlock might be awesome, but you have to get there, and the stuff you need to do to get there didn't seem fun.

Brashnir

Lol @ 8.3 second levels equalling a horrendous slog. Come on.

Well, that's another part of the problem. You have to go out to the menu every "8.3 seconds" as you put it and pick another level. Part of what makes Warioware fun and hectic is that it just goes. It doesn't drop you out to a menu after every micro challenge.

I'd rather just play any of the listed games by themselves than do any of those isolated challanges.

In fact, I think I'll go play some Balloon Fight now.

People complain about people complaining on the Internet but only respond to complain about complaining posts complaining about them complaining.

#interesting

Well, that's another part of the problem. You have to go out to the menu every "8.3 seconds" as you put it and pick another level. Part of what makes Warioware fun and hectic is that it just goes. It doesn't drop you out to a menu after every micro challenge.

I'd rather just play any of the listed games by themselves than do any of those isolated challanges.

In fact, I think I'll go play some Balloon Fight now.

I understand your point of view here; personally (having played it) I think the pacing of the game is great and re-trying for rainbow stars is super quick and painless, but opinions and all that. But I think you've made a more cogent point in four sentences than I got out of the 15-minute quick look video, which is telling.

Anyway, it's all good, I'm not here to defend the game against criticism and I really didn't intend to go on at such length about the GB guys. I do think they could benefit from re-considering how they present these videos, but that's their business and they have a following so they must be doing something right.

I understand your point of view here; personally (having played it) I think the pacing of the game is great and re-trying for rainbow stars is super quick and painless, but opinions and all that. But I think you've made a more cogent point in four sentences than I got out of the 15-minute quick look video, which is telling.

Anyway, it's all good, I'm not here to defend the game against criticism and I really didn't intend to go on at such length about the GB guys. I do think they could benefit from re-considering how they present these videos, but that's their business and they have a following so they must be doing something right.

No is not. Is a QL and they are always being pretty liberal in how they show and comment about the games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think the onus is on the game to be compelling in the 30 or so minutes they decide to quicklook it, from the viewpoint of a new customer. They shouldn't really worry about presenting it a certain way.

No is not. Is a QL and they are always being pretty liberal in how they show and comment about the games.

Sure, and if people find value in that I'm not going to argue that they shouldn't. Does nothing for me personally, but I guess that's why I rarely watch this kind of stuff.

I think the onus is on the game to be compelling in the 30 or so minutes they decide to quicklook it, from the viewpoint of a new customer. They shouldn't really worry about presenting it a certain way.

I think even the most compelling game would be coloured by the reactions and commentary of the people presenting it. Anyone could half-heartedly play your all-time favourite game for a few minutes, complaining all the while, and make it look like it isn't any fun. Which is fine if they are bringing some insight or interesting takes to the table -- I just didn't see much of that here.

When you're possibly the only exposure a prospective buyer is going to have to a game, I'd think you'd want to take that responsibility a bit seriously. Complaining about stuff not being in the game that actually is in the game just looks lazy and doesn't do anyone any favours.

Brashnir

When you're possibly the only exposure a prospective buyer is going to have to a game, I'd think you'd want to take that responsibility a bit seriously. Complaining about stuff not being in the game that actually is in the game just looks lazy and doesn't do anyone any favours.

Their job isn't to market games. They don't have any responsibility to show anything in any light other than how they honestly feel about it. As for the complaints, I don't think they'd be complaining about what's not in the game if the game itself was interesting and compelling enough to keep them interested on its own.

Hiding the good parts of the game behind a wall of tedium is literally the worst kind of game design imaginable. I have a lot of games to play, and not enough time to play them. If a game can't show me that it's worthwhile in the first hour, it's not worth my time to play it.

Have you tried watching a few different quick looks?

Not really, and I admitted that earlier. I saw a portion of their Wonderful 101 quick look a while ago, it wasn't as sloppy as this but it still suffered (IMO) for not having spent a little more time trying to understand the game before commenting on it.

Their job isn't to market games. They don't have any responsibility to show anything in any light other than how they honestly feel about it. As for the complaints, I don't think they'd be complaining about what's not in the game if the game itself was interesting and compelling enough to keep them interested on its own.

Hiding the good parts of the game behind a wall of tedium is literally the worst kind of game design imaginable. I have a lot of games to play, and not enough time to play them. If a game can't show me that it's worthwhile in the first hour, it's not worth my time to play it.

I'm pretty sure most games have you playing the early parts before the later ones. I'd also guess what qualifies as the "good parts" and "tedium" are subjective, right? For my part, I was having plenty of fun with NES Remix long before I unlocked the Link/DK stage. It's not going to appeal to everyone the same way, of course, which is why a degree of objectivity and intellectual honesty goes a long way towards having credibility and not being dismissed as pointless jabbering.

Brashnir

Not really, and I admitted that earlier. I saw a portion of their Wonderful 101 quick look a while ago, it wasn't as sloppy as this but it still suffered (IMO) for not having spent a little more time trying to understand the game before commenting on it.

I'm pretty sure most games have you playing the early parts before the later ones. I'd also guess what qualifies as the "good parts" and "tedium" are subjective, right? For my part, I was having plenty of fun with NES Remix long before I unlocked the Link/DK stage. It's not going to appeal to everyone the same way, of course, which is why a degree of objectivity and intellectual honesty goes a long way towards having credibility and not being dismissed as pointless jabbering.

Of course it's subjective. I see you're finally coming close to seeing the point of a Quick Look. They make a video of a game demonstrating their subjective experience with a game. That's it.

Of course it's subjective. I see you're finally coming close to seeing the point of a Quick Look. They make a video of a game demonstrating their subjective experience with a game. That's it.

Okay. I guess that's a bit clearer then. Still having trouble finding value in such an exercise and justifying uninformed commentary. But I don't fault people for being amused by it.

mattiewheels