• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story: Back in late 2006/early 2007, Reuters interviewed people in Second Life and one of the people they interviewed was Reggie. Some guys from Something Awful showed up at the "interview studio" early, found Reggie's AFK avatar, and had carnal relations with it while taking photos and videos before changing things back to normal before everything started. Then they made some mock "Reggienator" signs and sat down in the crowd.

When the actual interview started and people were there and Reggie actually showed up, the SA crowd interacted with the giant monitor on the stage to display screencaps of the aforementioned sexual congress, but Reggie and the Reuters interviewer were sat down and facing the opposite direction and apparently never swiveled their cameras around to see what was happening.

Unfortunately, Something Awful's old proprietary image hosting site went down years ago and the screencaps were lost. The only one left is a thumbnail left in Google Images of a zombie-headed Green Ranger ogling a bent over Reggie with massive breasts sticking out.

Well, that's my story thanks

edit: nevermind i found two of the full sized images, ha ha ha

popo

CBS probably won't let them. Jeff and Vinny occasionally joke about CBS not giving them the budget to hire new crew.

They were making those jokes before July though - they have since, unfortunatley, freed up enough budget for one extra person (assuming CBS keeps the same budget as last year). They always said they wanted a new video editor at the first oppertunity - again, situations have changed though. They are particulary light when one of the editors is on holiday.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
10126451904_844b6c756e_c.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692477

:)

Jokab

Has anyone else noticed how often Matt Rorie says "Good Lord"? It's starting to become a thing.

I usually don't mind that stuff (ostensibly etc.) but I'm starting to mind this.

At an industry event. Wasn't exactly the World Cyber Games...
Not saying he wasn't good, but "best in the world" is ridiculous.

Isn't Jeff also pretty much undefeated in Blitz games outside of the Gamespot office (where the other guys were also REALLY good)? Not that there have been that many tournaments, but I think it's at least pretty safe to say that Jeff has put in the most hours of anyone in the world, or at least he's in the top.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I usually don't mind that stuff (ostensibly etc.) but I'm starting to mind this.

Isn't Jeff also pretty much undefeated in Blitz games outside of the Gamespot office (where the other guys were also REALLY good)? Not that there have been that many tournaments, but I think it's at least pretty safe to say that Jeff has put in the most hours of anyone in the world, or at least he's in the top.

Which made his streak of absolutely no wins in the new blitz during TNT pretty funny.

Groof

Starting to catch up with missed QLs and whatnot and that Hatsune Miku QL is absolute fucking gold. Haven't laughed this much at a video for veeeeery long

Wunder

LMAO

grebby

Uh, what's the difference between a regular Bombcast and a [PREMIUM] one? What the eff?

Recently they started putting ads in the bombcast (Squarespace yo). So if you're a subscriber and don't want ads in your bombcast, then there's the option of having a premium bombcast that has no ads.

Recently they started putting ads in the bombcast (Squarespace yo). So if you're a subscriber and don't want ads in your bombcast, then there's the option of having a premium bombcast that has no ads.

I'd also like to add, if you don't listen to the version with ads you're missing out on some great Jeff and Vinny back and forth hamming it up.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
And that's why I said "one of the best"....geez....

I'm not really sure why he's such a Dubious Daniel about it anyway. It's not ridiculous at all. We've been given plenty of indication over the years that Jeff is one of the better Blitz players in the world. From stories of playing at Gamespot, other industry events, online play, leaderboards, and (I believe) Jeff himself stating he was one of the best, it's all been pretty clear about it.

Megasoum

Banned
I'd also like to add, if you don't listen to the version with ads you're missing out on some great Jeff and Vinny back and forth hamming it up.

Yeah absolutely. I'm a premium member and I still listen to the normal one, the ads are kinda of new content hahaha.

It also kinda pisses me off that they have to do a no ad version. Fuck any premium member who whine about a (funny) 30sec ad once a week.

Now because of that I have to download the podcast twice on my iphone every week since I can't unsubscribe of the normal feed (not all podcasts go on the premium feed and anyway like I said I actually prefer the ad version) and I can't unsubscribe from the premium feed since I want the other premium podcasts.

Xater

Yeah absolutely. I'm a premium member and I still listen to the normal one, the ads are kinda of new content hahaha.

It also kinda pisses me off that they have to do a no ad version. Fuck any premium member who whine about a (funny) 30sec ad once a week.

Now because of that I have to download the podcast twice on my iphone every week since I can't unsubscribe of the normal feed (not all podcasts go on the premium feed and anyway like I said I actually prefer the ad version) and I can't unsubscribe from the premium feed since I want the other premium podcasts.

I have the same issue here. They should do a separate feed for the ad free version.

Megasoum

Banned
they do

/edit wait what? Where can I input this premium feed, I need some wrasslecast in my life

Take the RSS link on the premium podcast page on the site and enter that into your podcast app (I use iCatcher personally but it should work with all of them)

Use your username/password when asked.

Dany

Banned
They didn't do a podcast on October 14th, 2008. The dream is ruined, something Did stop the bombcast :( canceling subscription RIP

Raitaro

The GTAO steam was boring. Windjammers looks like fun, though.

Windjammers looks goddamn awesome.

I have not seen Windjammers before, but now I need it.

Sorry to bring this topic back from the GTA Online / Windjammers video and derail the current discussion about the ads in the Bombcast, but my hope is that there is someone here that might be able to clear something up regarding Windjammers / Flying Power Disc. [Mods: feel free to move or remove this if deemed unwanted here.]

My question essentially is: What would there need to be done in order for Windjammers to be re-released, either as is on the Wii U e-shop or in the form of an HD version on other digital platforms?

Even though G-Mode owns many old Data East IP's, they don't seem to own the Flying Power Disc IP according to an email someone on Gamefaqs got in 2010 when he asked G-Mode about which IP's they aquired. Paon, who aquired some of the remaining IP's might still own it seeing as they at one time released the game for Japanese virtual console on the Wii. That happened a while ago though and I do no know whether it is still up there. And while I don't know the source of information nor the sport this person is talking about, in the same Gamefaqs thread someone mentioned that the creator of the sport 10-s (which seems to be a frisbee tennis variant as far as I can tell) felt that Data East originally should have asked him for permission or should have paid him royalties for releasing Windjammers due to the similarities between it and this sport. If true, this could explain the fact that this game never got a sequel, reboot or a Western re-release. At the same time, its inclusion in the Japanese VC library did still happen so maybe we should take this rumored fact with a grain of salt.

To finish my monologue: seeing Jeff and Vinny play Windjammers re-establishes several things: Windjammers is a game that - like Street Fighter 2 and 3, Super Dodge Ball (which is another cool Neo Geo game they should play someday) and The Outfoxies - has aged gracefully, is still very fun to play in a competitive atmosphere and is built upon a solid foundation of "easy to learn, hard to master" gameplay. Like those other games, it features attractive art and graphics and it posseses that instant "oomph"/impact factor that draws people's attention. In short my opinion is that the fact that this game is not available on any modern console or handheld is a damn shame and if possible should be remedied (the same applies to The Outfoxies btw). Would there be a way for the gaming community to spread the word about this game and perhaps try to convince the current IP holder that Windjammers needs to be re-released somewhere? Maybe we should tell Nintendo that we want it on the Wii U e-shop? Tweet someone at Sony? Heck, maybe a company like Wayforward, M2, Iron Galaxy or Comcept could even consider a Kickstarter to fund a reboot / re-release for this game if enough people voice their wish.

Anyway, that's my two cents on Windjammers. Hopefully someone can answer my question and/or shares my enthusiasm. In this day and age, with combined might, we can just about make anything happen so why not a new Windjammers or re-release / HD version?

Summarized version: who currently owns the rights to Windjammers / Flying Power Disc? How could we possibly remedy the fact that this awesome and timeless game isn't currently available on any platform in the West?

xanavi

They didn't do a podcast on October 14th, 2008. The dream is ruined, something Did stop the bombcast :( canceling subscription RIP

This is probably a joke but there are 5 bombcasts in 5 days leading up to the 14th while in Japan for TGS so I dunno if you could say something stopped it, more like an early bombcast.

popo

The title does not inspire hope but I would totally play another Sleepy Dawgs. Their problem is going to be coming up with something interesting given that it is unlikely the island will change significantly. SR4 only just about pulled off reusing the same city.

I bought a tablet over the weekend and the first thing I did was buy Kingdom Rush: Frontiers. Hopefully Brad gets his 10¢ commission in the mail today. Fun game

bankster

Banned
---
Summarized version: who currently owns the rights to Windjammers / Flying Power Disc? How could we possibly remedy the fact that this awesome and timeless game isn't currently available on any platform in the West?

I'd like to know this as well. The superior sports game package should be released with Wind Jammers, Super Dodge Ball and the Megadrive version of NHL 95. It warmed my heart when they played WJ and enjoyed as much as I did when I found it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok we need a showdown to get to the truth here. Brad constantly endorses the silver 369 controller with the rotating dpad. I've had that controller since it first released and the dpad is just as shitty as the normal non rotating dpad. All it does is make the cross section stick up higher but it still feels like an unweildy puck. I always find myself screwing up in precision based games like rogue legacy or PAC man. That dpad sucks.

I think Jeff mentioned recently picking up one of those controllers.. he can back me up. That thing is straight trash.

Mesoian

Ok we need a showdown to get to the truth here. Brad constantly endorses the silver 369 controller with the rotating dpad. I've had that controller since it first released and the dpad is just as shitty as the normal non rotating dpad. All it does is make the cross section stick up higher but it still feels like an unweildy puck. I always find myself screwing up in precision based games like rogue legacy or PAC man. That dpad sucks.

I think Jeff mentioned recently picking up one of those controllers.. he can back me up. That thing is straight trash.

No, I can attest as a 360 fighting game pad warrior, those turny dpads are the real deal. They are DRAMATICALLY better than the original dpads. The problem is that they're SUPER flimsy, the axis on them regularly cracking until they completely break on the inside causing the actual cross to fall out. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened to you, especially if you had it in the raised position like I did.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That is crap man! I constantly make unintentional turns in ce dx, and more than once a play session my character won't make a hair pin maneuver in rogue legacy!

I even have an old white controller I "modded" by adding a slip of plastic I between the dpad and the rubber membrane things and that is more responsive but will sometimes give you the wrong direction.

Mesoian

That is crap man! I constantly make unintentional turns in ce dx, and more than once a play session my character won't make a hair pin maneuver in rogue legacy!

I even have an old white controller I "modded" by adding a slip of plastic I between the dpad and the rubber membrane things and that is more responsive but will sometimes give you the wrong direction.

I went through probably 7 or 8 of those controllers because they were so good, but they kept breaking. Thankfully gamestop would take them back every time and replace them, but there's a major structural flaw with those controllers.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I went through probably 7 or 8 of those controllers because they were so good, but they kept breaking. Thankfully gamestop would take them back every time and replace them, but there's a major structural flaw with those controllers.

That's wild, I've been using the original silver version as my main 360/PC controller since it was first released and it's still going strong.

Well, the right analog is loose enough that some games will pick up a bit of drift from it, but that problem is endemic to all 360 controllers and isn't because of wear.

FStop7

Banned
There was a clean copy of MVS Windjammers on eBay for $80. I didn't bite and now it's gone. I am filled with regret. I already have a full Samurai Shodown 2 "kit" with the original placard and decal with the list of moves along with a copy of Garou: MotW. Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug X, and KoF '99 are on my remaining must-have list.

I've heard of that D-Pad problem a lot, it seems to happen more often on D-Pad intensive games (no duh, right?)

So don't try it for fighting games, basically.

A Japanese mobile publisher called G-Mode. Apparently they put the game out on Wii Virtual Console in Japan in 2010.

Mesoian

I've heard of that D-Pad problem a lot, it seems to happen more often on D-Pad intensive games (no duh, right?)

So don't try it for fighting games, basically.

Ugh, but they're SO GOOD for fighting games! My execution rose 70% when I started using those things!

That's wild, I've been using the original silver version as my main 360/PC controller since it was first released and it's still going strong.

Well, the right analog is loose enough that some games will pick up a bit of drift from it, but that problem is endemic to all 360 controllers and isn't because of wear.

I know, it's super nuts. It was a bit of a joke at the local gamestop since I was on a quest to find the ultimate fighting game pad for the 360 at the time and would often report my findings on pads that they would never carry, like the terrible terrible razr MLG pads.

It's just kind of amazing that the one thing they took so much effort to fix is also the weakest structural point on those newer controllers. Makes me worried about the Xbone ones, but...hell, Marvel ain't coming out for that mess, so whatever.

Patryn

So Jeff Green is now publically and vocally looking for his next thing.

Shame it won't be GB. Or will it?

it won't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom