• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

That's wild, I've been using the original silver version as my main 360/PC controller since it was first released and it's still going strong.

Well, the right analog is loose enough that some games will pick up a bit of drift from it, but that problem is endemic to all 360 controllers and isn't because of wear.

I had so much drifting happening in Dishonored, but I stuck with my silver controller over my original 360 pad since I like the raised Dpad for selecting stuff. I wouldn't use it for fighting games, though.

LordCanti

I was so bored earlier that I was playing trackmania while listening to Jeff's Mixlr's from last week; If only this had come out sooner. If I listen now, it'll be five in the morning before it's done. Also, I can't play any more trackmania today for the sake of my sanity.

Podcast published early ahead of the merger announcement tomorrow I guess - that is the ONLY reason it could be this early

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Zaph

So Jeff Green is now publically and vocally looking for his next thing.

Shame it won't be GB. Or will it?

it won't
Danny moving to SF. Jeff Green a free agent. The stars are aligning - if only the corporate overlords would give Giant Bomb money...

Cerilli

Neo Member
A little late to the party, but this latest UPF was amazing. Haven't laughed that hard in quite some time.

Love you, Giant Bomb.

I was so bored earlier that I was playing trackmania while listening to Jeff's Mixlr's from last week; If only this had come out sooner. If I listen now, it'll be five in the morning before it's done. Also, I can't play any more trackmania today for the sake of my sanity.

About that, are Jeff's recent commute mixlr's worth listening to?

popo

Jeff Green isn't a great fit for GB. Too expensive and senior to fill an editors role. He would be a good hire for Gamespot or CBI though - I am thinking he could do a similar role that Davison had.

To play devils advocate on GBs budget. They owe them another team member for Ryan but GB could do more to bring in subsribers. An inconsistent schedule, no member shirt, no big live show - remains to be seen what this will do to sub numbers.

Yuripaw

Banned
I like Patrick, but what the hell is he smoking? The Thing video game is a "pretty great video game" but the 2011 prequel movie was terrible? I call serious bull shit. People are REALLY too critical of the 2011 movie. I am huge fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, it's one of my top favorite movies, but I enjoyed the 2011 movie for what it was. It has continuity errors, but it's entertaining.

The Thing video game on the other hand was a piece of shit. I liked the ideas that they said the game was going to have, like "you never know who could be a thing" and having to manage stress and fear of your squad mates, but none of that shit worked! You could perform a blood test on someone, and it would come up as them being human...then 5 seconds later they burst into a monster. The combat was terrible, and the enemies felt like Half-Life knock offs. It had none of the tension I was hoping it would have. How can anyone say that the game was good, but the prequel movie isnt?

FStop7

Banned
G6G7nFH.png

From the Toys R Us thread

To play devils advocate on GBs budget. They owe them another team member for Ryan but GB could do more to bring in subsribers. An inconsistent schedule, no member shirt, no big live show - remains to be seen what this will do to sub numbers.

Can't really blame them, if it was a corporate environment then fair enough but they are all close friends and are probably still mourning the loss of their friend hence inconsistent schedule.

LiK

Does anyone remember which Bombcasts had Brad talk about Brothers? I can't seem to find it. Been scrubbing through some eps and I got nothin'. man I wish their show descriptions were better now.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Jeff Green isn't a great fit for GB. Too expensive and senior to fill an editors role. He would be a good hire for Gamespot or CBI though - I am thinking he could do a similar role that Davison had.

Inconsistent schedule or not I think premium stuff has been as good as ever and there has been tons of it the last couple months.

HawkeyeFIN

Neo Member
Does anyone remember which Bombcasts had Brad talk about Brothers? I can't seem to find it. Been scrubbing through some eps and I got nothin'. man I wish their show descriptions were better now.

08-13-2013, starts at 2:13:30 "I have to talk about Brothers"

popo

Inconsistent schedule or not I think premium stuff has been as good as ever and there has been tons of it the last couple months.

Can't really blame them, if it was a corporate environment then fair enough but they are all close friends and are probably still mourning the loss of their friend hence inconsistent schedule.

I am a sub and will renew but not everyone is happy with the content, plenty on the GB forums, and a few on here, citing it as a reason to not resub. They could be the minority, hard to tell as I don't have figures on renewals in september (when a large number of yearly subs expire).

You can't say it is down to Ryan either - it was inconsistent way before his loss. In fact it has been more varied since then and Patrick moved east.

I don't blame them for not doing a BLLSL this year but I do think they could do more to hold on to those existing subscribers. The member shirt is a good example. I never owned one and don't care, but plenty do. They say they are too busy but if sub revenue is down then the bosses will allocate them less and they are only going to get busier.

CBS don't seem to be giving them the resources to grow but the pov of management is likely that they want proof, either from revenue streams, traffic or subs, that it is worth increasing the budget. To that end I think podcast ads are a great addition. Squarespace is never going to bring in much cash but it could be a great proof of a market for sponsership.

Parsnip

I don't blame them for not doing a BLLSL this year but I do think they could do more to hold on to those existing subscribers. The member shirt is a good example. I never owned one and don't care, but plenty do. They say they are too busy but if sub revenue is down then the bosses will allocate them less and they are only going to get busier.
There isn't going to be BLLSL this year? I mean I guess it's expected, but where did they say this?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Where does it say that sub revenue is going down?

If anything I think that Jeff said they were growing in the last PAX panel.

sneaky77

I am still subbed, they put a lot of great content, sure it may not be all for me but can't fault the lack of content going up, maybe not enough stuff only for premium members, ok but as much as entertainment I get from the site, the sub is worth it for me to try to help them keep it going

Megasoum

Banned
Looking at the OP - does Rorie really not have a tumblr? Think of all the puppy pics not getting reblogged :(

OF COURSE he has a tumblr lol... Yeah they should add it to the OP... Great name too lol

http://properlypettingpuppies.tumblr.com/

LOL Is that Patrick??

If so this must have been at the start of the 360 back in '05?

Nevermind, there were no black 360s back then so that's probably and XB1 controller.

Btw, that's obviously XB1 but FYI there was black 360s since day one...just not available to the public.

popo

Where does it say that sub revenue is going down?

If anything I think that Jeff said they were growing in the last PAX panel.

I believe he said traffic was growing. There is no info on subs, that used to be on the WM site but not since. As I said - I was just speculating but I don't think not having a new members shirt this year will increase subs. The bulk of subs used to happen during the BBLSL, remains to be seen if not having one hurts them or not.

Jeff has expressed the opinion a number of times that the traffic and ad revenue model is going away. If so the only thing they seem to be doing differently is their member program so I just hope they don't neglect it.

As I said in the first post. I don't nessessarily agree with all of these views. I am just trying to put myself in the mind of the higher up management who allocate budget - what they will be thinking and what they want from the site.

Jamie OD

There isn't going to be BLLSL this year? I mean I guess it's expected, but where did they say this?

A couple of weeks ago on the Bombcast I think. They have two console launches to prepare for and I bet we're going to get day long streaming of each one like they did with the Wii U.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I believe he said traffic was growing. There is no info on subs, that used to be on the WM site but not since. As I said - I was just speculating but I don't think not having a new members shirt this year will increase subs. The bulk of subs used to happen during the BBLSL, remains to be seen if not having one hurts them or not.

Jeff has expressed the opinion a number of times that the traffic and ad revenue model is going away. If so the only thing they seem to be doing differently is their member program so I just hope they don't neglect it.

As I said in the first post. I don't nessessarily agree with all of these views. I am just trying to put myself in the mind of the higher up management who allocate budget - what they will be thinking and what they want from the site.

The weird thing is that Gamespot is getting rid of subscriptions with their new update, so maybe that's just a thing that CBSi is thinking of moving on from now.

OMG Aero

Praise the Vinny!
I wonder where Vinny is going to go next, Nito is the only lord soul he has right?
Dukes would be good to see since that's probably the best designed of the lord soul areas and Izalith would be good to see too because of all the lava, capras and taurus demons, those giant half dragon things and because the boss is bullshit. Four kings probably wouldn't be so good aside from the boss fight itself and the abyss assuming no-one tells him about the ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom