• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

megalowho

I can't really imagine a member t-shirt being a deal breaker for subscribing or not if you enjoy their content, but different priorities for different folks I suppose.

I also find the recent uptick in armchair analysis and speculation over the site in poor taste. We dont have nearly enough information to comment intelligently on CBSi's business model and future plans, and honestly we shouldn't. Feel the same way about armchair analysis of the gaming industry, it goes too far sometimes with uninformed opinions getting tossed around flippantly. If people are legit concerned about their long term health, tell some friends about this cool site called Giant Bomb instead of gossiping on the internet.

paul187

I changed my name. I made the last two threads. How are you just noticing this

VzdkLAz.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just think it's weird that they don't make premium content available for everybody once in a while. They did that in the beginning, but now you can't even really know what you get.

popo

The weird thing is that Gamespot is getting rid of subscriptions with their new update, so maybe that's just a thing that CBSi is thinking of moving on from now.

Maybe, or perhaps just trying different models for different sites. Paid memberships on GS always seemed a poor deal - on the other hand - GS will attract the bulk of advertisers.

I can't really imagine a member t-shirt being a deal breaker for subscribing or not if you enjoy their content, but different priorities for different folks I suppose.

I also find the recent uptick in armchair analysis and speculation over the site in poor taste. We dont have nearly enough information to comment intelligently on CBSi's business model and future plans, and honestly we shouldn't. Feel the same way about armchair analysis of the gaming industry, it goes too far sometimes with uninformed opinions getting tossed around flippantly. If people are legit concerned about their long term health, tell some friends about this cool site called Giant Bomb instead of gossiping on the internet.

I think if a lot of people get a store code then they want new merch to spend it on. Personally I buy the code free membership at christmas when it is offered.

You are right that there isn't enough info out there to say anything definate about financials etc but it isn't exactly groundless speculation. Nothing wrong with discussing the dealings of a public traded company. If you find that distasteful then don't watch any news channels or visit any news sites ever. It isn't like we are discussing their family or love life for gawds sake.

sixghost

I like Patrick, but what the hell is he smoking? The Thing video game is a "pretty great video game" but the 2011 prequel movie was terrible? I call serious bull shit. People are REALLY too critical of the 2011 movie. I am huge fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, it's one of my top favorite movies, but I enjoyed the 2011 movie for what it was. It has continuity errors, but it's entertaining.

The Thing video game on the other hand was a piece of shit. I liked the ideas that they said the game was going to have, like "you never know who could be a thing" and having to manage stress and fear of your squad mates, but none of that shit worked! You could perform a blood test on someone, and it would come up as them being human...then 5 seconds later they burst into a monster. The combat was terrible, and the enemies felt like Half-Life knock offs. It had none of the tension I was hoping it would have. How can anyone say that the game was good, but the prequel movie isnt?
Patrick seems to casually toss around the word 'great' when describing games that are kind of interesting in a few ways. Like Metro 2033 and Singularity.

Parsnip

I would love it if they brought back the Wizard shirt. My original one is getting a little rough. New shirts would be great too of course.

And I wouldn't mind if they changed back to American Apparel(?) shirts. The last shirt I got from there was a second BOMB throwback tee, and it just feels flimsy as hell. The fabric is super thin and everything sticks to it, thank god I don't have pets because I could never get all the cat hair or whatever out of that shirt. The label says Canvas. I guess Canvas sucks?

A while ago. BLLSLs happen in early September, so we're well past when it would have happened.
Shit, you are right. Man, where the hell did this whole year go.

Zaph

Ugh, fuck t-shirts Big Live Live Show tbh. They're nice, but they're just gimmicks. Plus, people got pretty cynical about the BLLSL, saying premium content would always die down shortly after.

Best thing Giant Bomb can do for premium membership is consistently put out stuff like Pathfinder's show, UPF's and Wrestlecasts all year round. And occasionally open it up to non-subs.

I want a BLLSL because I want another 8 hours of straight content. I gather that's most people's reasoning too. The last one was fucking awesome.

I gather that it'd probably be a stretch to fill the time now though, what with Patrick outta town and Ryan gone.

Xanathus

Very strange that they don't seem to be doing anything regarding Beyond Two Souls. Did they get review copies?
in before "it's because it's a PS3 exclusive"

Megasoum

Banned
Very strange that they don't seem to be doing anything regarding Beyond Two Souls. Did they get review copies?
in before "it's because it's a PS3 exclusive"

Alex talked about it on every morning shows for the last 2 weeks I think.

He's working on the review.

Xanathus

Alex talked about it on every morning shows for the last 2 weeks I think.

He's working on the review.

Ah thanks, I don't watch those. I'd love to see a QL of it though but I suspect they had their only copy of it sent to Alex and it doesn't look like there's a digital version of it available.

LCfiner

eh, FWIW, I never really loved the BLLSL. I'd catch bits here and there but it's really hit or miss.

I much prefer the Load our last save stuff (so glad its back), UPF is pretty good every week, Breaking Brad now and then, and the Pathfinder tabletop stream could be awesome.

if they can keep up these premium videos year round, I would be happy to keep subscribing.

I think GB has a more pressing concern of what they're going to do to add more non-subscriber video each week. Us premium members make a pretty small portion of their total audience. I think they may want to have at least one regular live stream for regular viewers each week. Right now I can't think of any weekly, consistent live stuff they do that's not premium.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think GB has a more pressing concern of what they're going to do to add more non-subscriber video each week. Us premium members make a pretty small portion of their total audience. I think they may want to have at least one regular live stream for regular viewers each week. Right now I can't think of any weekly, consistent live stuff they do that's not premium.

I think that's only a problem because we don't have TNT anymore and there's nothing to replace it. I don't mean something like Daily Dota or the Morning show, I mean something big, that all of them can do sitting down on the couch and on the studio.

I'm sure they'll figure something out.

popo

I am sure there will be a beyond QL this week. Wasn't Brad really in to heavy rain?

Alex likely got the only advance copy but they will prob buy or borrow a copy of it today.

Haunted

Someone suggested a Card Hunter QL and I think that's a great idea.

I know they usually don't do browser games but that one's as full-fledged as they come.

Xater

Someone suggested a Card Hunter QL and I think that's a great idea.

I know they usually don't do browser games but that one's as full-fledged as they come.

I asked Rorie on Twitter not too long ago. He played it when it was still closed and wanted to check it out again now. No idea when he will do that though.

Defunkled

After listening to yesterday's morning show I can't see GTAV being Giant Bomb's GOTY if Alex and Patrick have any input.

GOTY discussions will be super interesting this year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the Bombcast, its depressing to learn that Drew is driving a car that still has a cassette player.
Dude not everyone has aux port where else do you plug your computer in?

Zornack

Tons of premium stuff these past few weeks. I wonder if it's in part due to the lack of a BLLSL this year.

After listening to yesterday's morning show I can't see GTAV being Giant Bomb's GOTY if Alex and Patrick have any input.

GOTY discussions will be super interesting this year.

Yeah, same. I'm guessing TLoU vs. Infinite unless Watch_Dogs is amazing. I have a feeling WD is either going to end up in the top 5 or as the most disappointing game of the year.

Megasoum

Banned
LOL on Jeff's Tumblr...

Anonymous asked:Здравствуйте Джеффрі Gerstmann. Я тільки що бачив, що ви дали ігрову консоль Beyond 2 Souls і 3 ранку, особисто, обурені цим. Як веб-майстру для сайту відеоігор GiantBoomdotcom вам має бути соромно за те, що це 9/10 майстерності такий скромний рахунок. Ваші предки незадоволені вашими діями

Їжте мою дупу.

Which translate to (according to Google)

Hello Jeffrey Gerstmann. I just saw that you made ​​a game console Beyond Souls 2 and 3 am personally outraged that. As webmaster for website video GiantBoomdotcom you should be ashamed for being a 9/10 skill a modest expense. Your ancestors are dissatisfied with your actions

Eat my ass.

popo

Yeah no Qls today and the super early release of the Bombcast makes me think they are out today for some event maybe.

They tape the day before, except for a few QL lives, so suggests they were busy doing something yesterday. Vinny has moved his dark souls show up, maybe to compensate for a content light schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom