• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Most of these Rift demos were put together really quick for VR jams and such. I don't know if that was the case here, but they shouldn't be judged on the same scale as you would a retail game.

tsigo

Patrick says: "It takes quite a bit to scare me. Granted, there’s a good reason for that: I’ve seen it all."

Riiiiiiight.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're asking.

It's set up so that you can see that there is text underneath the video so if you're interested in that it's easy to scroll down. I think it's good. Video's are a lot easier to consume so I see why they put such an emphasis on it.

Also videos have pre-roll ads. $$$

I love the concept of Spookin, but I wish it was way less focused on indie stuff. There's a gem in there, occasionally, but there's like nine bad games for every good one. Michigan or Rule of Rose or Siren would all be as new to most of the audience, but they're also interesting games.

WasabiJoe

Neo Member
I didn't think of it till it was over, but if someone would take a screengrab of the eyes from Kraken then photoshop them onto Whiteface from imscared, well I bet Patrick would really appreciate it!

Patrick sure does talk alot of game about he's a horror game pro, and it's so hard to scare him, yet every Spookin' dude turns into a bitch 5 minutes into the first game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
God, yes, I had to scroll SO far to read this post even. My finger is exhausted.

Hey dude, you don't have to be so hostile towards him about it. I disagree with him about the design but that doesn't mean I should be acting like his thoughts are so meaningless. It's one thing he doesn't like. That's fine. You don't have to be a jerk about it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe gamespot isnt using the exact same player.

Arent they rebuilding the GB player to not suck hot death as well?

Hopefully if they do they still have the player enlarge appropriately. Ideally when the player is enlarged there should be zero scaling on the video.

He can't see things on the periphery either, which is probably lost on anyone that hasn't used a Rift. We may see monsters that he can't at times.

never knew that.

Hopefully one day i'll get to try out the Rift

Maybe gamespot isnt using the exact same player.

Arent they rebuilding the GB player to not suck hot death as well?

IIRC Alexis said the Gamepsot player is the new version and that should be the one that will be on GB eventually (or at least it will be based on it)

Hey dude, you don't have to be so hostile towards him about it. I disagree with him about the design but that doesn't mean I should be acting like his thoughts are so meaningless. It's one thing he doesn't like. That's fine. You don't have to be a jerk about it.

Perhaps if you're going to make such harsh calls as "God Alexis went overboard" you should expect to be met with equal criticism, especially if you didn't know what you were talking about in the first place.

Anyway, as I was saying, Alexis did a bad job because there's not enough purple on the page.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
why is everyone overreacting about everything

pimp-pimp-138137959976451.gif

sixghost

Does anyone else just not really jive with Volgarrs art style? I just don't really like it. It feels a bit amateur. Also, I really am not a fan of the way the helmet looks on the character. Ahhhh I don't know. Besides that the game seems kind of okay though. The checkpoints are way too far spaced out. There should be a checkpoint before the boss.

The bosses are really easy, once you get the pattern. Checkpoints before the bosses wouldn't fit with the theme of the game. Half the fun is the tension of finally getting to the boss and realizing that if you screw it up you'll be all the way back at the last checkpoint.

Barryman

Which games has Scoops played? I made one of the VR jam prize winning games, and it was kinda scary?

If it was one of the terrible games you guys are complaining about, I apologize! I only had 3 weeks to make it!!

Dany

Banned
God, yes, I had to scroll SO far to read this post even. My finger is exhausted.

Perhaps if you're going to make such harsh calls as "God Alexis went overboard" you should expect to be met with equal criticism, especially if you didn't know what you were talking about in the first place.

I dislike the amount of spaces between each grid on giantbomb and gamespot, it makes the site feel empty. I dislike the large fonts and the large images that link to other pages. I do not need a 1200x700 video prompt. It feels designed for a tablet.

It looks slick though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The bosses are really easy, once you get the pattern. Checkpoints before the bosses wouldn't fit with the theme of the game. Half the fun is the tension of finally getting to the boss and realizing that if you screw it up you'll be all the way back at the last checkpoint.

Sure, but having such a long lead up to a boss that can kill you so quickly doesn't give you the time to learn.

I guess my issue isn't necessarily that the checkpoint isn't immediately before the boss but that it's so far from it. It seems tedious instead of punishing and difficult.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nope, and i tried it with disabled adblock. It's all down, nothing shows after the four bars, just a black void.

I have AdBlock, it's disabled on gamespot (I use the adblock the other way around: I only enable it for specific sites), I see the ad and... there's no video after that.

overall a great experience that only gamespot could've provided.

I dislike the amount of spaces between each grid on giantbomb and gamespot, it makes the site feel empty. I dislike the large fonts and the large images that link to other pages. I do not need a 1200x700 video prompt. It feels designed for a tablet.

It looks slick though.

I can see where you're coming from on each of these points and you didn't have to insult the judgement of certified chill dude Alexis to make them! Cool.

Nope, and i tried it with disabled adblock. It's all down, nothing shows after the four bars, just a black void.

not even an ad?

I have AdBlock, it's disabled on gamespot (I use the adblock the other way around: I only enable it for specific sites), I see the ad and... there's no video after that.

overall a great experience that only gamespot could've provided.

this is exactly what happened to me then I messed with the video quality and that apparently allowed the video to reload and then play.

Maybe that might work?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

It looks slick though.

It feels that way because it is. Every site is designed for tablets now, with huge whitespaces on the left and right of every page. Every big site that wants to reach a big audience is built with portrait mode in mind. Tested redesign and Polygon are the same way.

I don't know who are these people that browse the internet on tablets.

rakhir

Ok, i got it to work. It works when adblock is disabled/uninstalled in firefox. It also kinda works when i disabled adblock on whole gamespot, but the video won't start after clicking play on the video - after that you have to click pause and play button.

And now it autoplays everytime. It's weird.

EDIT: and it works in IE

fleck0

Pretty hyped for Breaking Brad based on the comments in this thread when it was happening live.

edit: Oh shit 3 hours?! I'll save it for tomorrow, Brad's inevitable breakdown won't be as epic if I split it up

xanavi

It's pretty wild to watch a guy complete Volgarr in 30 minutes after seeing someone bash their head against the first two levels for a couple hours.

justjim89

It's pretty wild to watch a guy complete Volgarr in 30 minutes after seeing someone bash their head against the first two levels for a couple hours.

To be fair, the guy completing in 30 minutes probably spent at least a dozen hours mastering the game. I'm 8 hours in and keep getting stuck at the level Brad is on. Haven't even seen the second boss yet.

I only caught the end, but my favorite is how he quits, doesn't figure out the level select at which point he RESETS and doesn't read the warning about how that resets ALL PROGRESS and then he can't level select no mores.

I've done that by accident a good 3 times now, but beating the first level after you've really ran it is trivial. I can do it super fast on my first try with no hits and all chests now.

xanavi

To be fair, the guy completing in 30 minutes probably spent at least a dozen hours mastering the game. I'm 8 hours in and keep getting stuck at the level Brad is on. Haven't even seen the second boss yet.

In no way am I saying it's trivial. I'm just marveling at how games like this can stretch out 30 minutes worth of levels over so many hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom