• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone subtitled the Hatsune Miku quicklook into Japanese and then put it on Youtube/NicoNico and wrote about the responses they got. Generally less vitriloc than the foreign fanbase! Also still pretty entertaining.

Interesting read. Also refreshing to hear that some dudes would prefer that the perverted Otaku side of things could get callet out.

Similar things I have hear in other disscusion of global franchises that are taken for granted in one side or another of the ocean.

komplanen

iKT2bsWnS055z.gif

*During the Oblivion Shivering Isles achievement section*
Rorie offhand "Yeah, it wasn't a very good addon"

9575bf0b275d2bac2b9896eb3deff402.gif

Edit: Couldn't get into Dragon's Dogma because of the lack of lock on :/ That doesn't even make sense!

Vinny's comments on the podcast about the future of their video content has me thinking about video quality. He was saying not to increase the resolution but to increase the bitrate, which will lead to better looking video but I think they need to go deeper. They should look into slower, more efficient compression to get rid of all the macroblocking that their current stuff usually has.

In fourth grade, back when Pokemon Red was out, a friend of mine was lost in Viridian Forest for two months. He had a level 30 party before even fighting Brock.

So Jeff figuring stuff out in five minutes is a win to me.

stktt

Banned
In fourth grade, back when Pokemon Red was out, a friend of mine was lost in Viridian Forest for two months. He had a level 30 party before even fighting Brock.

So Jeff figuring stuff out in five minutes is a win to me.

Experiences like this always baffle me. I completed Blue when I was 5 without any issues. My team was probably awful, but I made do. The same goes for all of my friends and siblings that have played the games. Some of the mechanical stuff is definitely obtuse, but the actual progression is almost always a fixed path from point A to point B that might require an HM or two.

Zoggy

"half life 2 was not as great as people remember it"

yeah, uh uh i'm right with you jeff

"games have gotten better since then"

yes 100% true

"like...... bioshock infinite"

aw dammit you lost me

Serra

*During the Oblivion Shivering Isles achievement section*
Rorie offhand "Yeah, it wasn't a very good addon"

The fuck? indeed.

Shivering Isles was some of the best official content. Some of the stuff modders have done is amazing and Bethesda's mostly shitty quests pale in comparison.

StuBurns

Banned
HL2 is better than people remember it. It came at a time where FPS campaigns were generally stronger. Now nothing is even close to that quality. The majority are vapid seven hour long corridors with snap aim and pretty lights.

I agree with Jeff regarding BI and HL2. I will replay BI for a third time at some point. Can't wait for the story dlc.

Also HL2 isn't even the best fps of its respective year. Far Cry was better. Still a great game though.

StuBurns

Banned
Oh so like HL2 but with better controlling weapons and less akward/horrible story segments.
If by better controlling, you mean controls themselves, sure, if you mean less horrible story segments, I'd have to say no, based on my shooter campaign experiences, they all have lots of horrible story segments.

I played Half-Life 2 for the first time a few years ago and, other than the few good moments in the first hour and the last hour, found absolutely nothing noteworthy about any part of it.

The episodes on the other hand, particularly episode 2, are great. The weird part is that I played Half-Life 1 for the first time just before that and loved it.

Surprisingly not as negative as I expected!

I actually like the whole aspect of learning the levels, getting the best times and fluid runs and all that, but yeah, harkening back to the type of gameplay again doesn't make for the best casual experience. It's ironic that the new controls were probably made with casual players in mind, but they end up actually benefiting the speedrunning types more.

Still think it looks real cool

Hoo-doo

Banned
God, Pokemon X/Y quicklook bored me to death.

It's kind of starting to bother me that these games are basically using the exact same template that they have used for years.
It's just the same game, every damn time. Not even the 3D graphics add anything substantial to the gameplay, in fact, the game would play better if it were isometric like the previous ones. The 3D movement and weird camera-angles were quite poorly done, and looked incredibly janky.

If they did something new with it and actually tried to innovate on top of the familiar structure of "an RPG where you capture and battle Pokemon", then i'd be lining up for a 3DS right now.
There's literally infinite potential for this franchise when games are concerned. I truly don't understand how Nintendo and Game Freak are so content with just sitting on their laurels and rebranding the same game over and over and over, occasionally with a new coat of paint.

Dragon

Banned
Watching Unprofessional Fridays. Brad comments on Watchdogs getting delayed: Yeah everything for PS4 is getting delayed. When told it was a multi-platform game, he replies, yeah but it's more for PS4. I don't even know what to say. smh

StuBurns

Banned
Watching Unprofessional Fridays. Brad comments on Watchdogs getting delayed: Yeah everything for PS4 is getting delayed. When told it was a multi-platform game, he replies, yeah but it's more for PS4. I don't even know what to say. smh
Maybe he meant it's worse for Sony than MS, which it is, although not bad enough that it's going to alter the install base, so not really.

Doing a Sonic and Pokemon QL in the same week as Jeff going crazy taking on Miku creeps just seems like playing with fire.

So many creepy fanbases converging.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

It's technically true?

Out of all 6 platforms, you don't think the majority of hype was for the PS4 version? :p

LTWheels

Brad should have used the spindash, has quicker acceleration and top movement speed than running in this sonic game. Also it can be done infinitely.

If you can ignore the fact that the person in this video is complaining about reviews, it does such some interesting stuff you can do with sonic's moveset in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3jNLX8IRo

Brad should play Generations. If he wants to go fast all the time, well, that game is definitely all about going fast fast fast.

Plus it's like 2 hours long. And definitely more refined in its level design than Lost World looks (well, besides a couple of niggly levels towards the end).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does anyone know the music from the beginning of UPF? That shit was tight.

Edit: The music from UPF is "Dance Machine" on Audio Network.

Vinny's comments on the podcast about the future of their video content has me thinking about video quality. He was saying not to increase the resolution but to increase the bitrate, which will lead to better looking video but I think they need to go deeper. They should look into slower, more efficient compression to get rid of all the macroblocking that their current stuff usually has.

Vinny's got a Tumblr.

It might be worth bringing it up to him? He doesn't check it frequently, but he drops in every once in a while to answer questions and questions about the video encoding seem like something he might actually give an in-depth answer to.

yeah, uh uh i'm right with you jeff

Just a heads up but "uh uh" means "no." "Uh huh" means "yes."

HL2 is better than people remember it.

Honestly, yeah. I've never finished HL2 and I'm playing through it completely for the first time.

In terms of gameplay, it feels like it's far and away ahead of most modern games. The way you can interact with the world and all of the physics stuff still seems much better than anything else you'll see today. It's super cool to grab a giant metal door and hold it in front of you, rush at a big group of enemies as the bullets deflect off it then fling the door at them killing them all.

Also the under the bridge section was really cool.

Megasoum

Banned
I remember being kinda bummed about HL2.... I still think that HL1 was much better and much more important to the gaming industry.

I should probably try a replay of HL2... Is there any good mods to get a bit better graphics? I know about the cinematic mod but I don't want to go that crazy lol.

I guess it hurts them because they had that bundle and watch dogs had some hype behind it.

Still these systems are going to sell out this holiday no matter what. In the end maybe having another big game with that PS4 co marketing next year will help Sony keep momentum going early next year when MS ditches kinect and drops the price and Titanfall gets released.

Once the holiday madness ends Sony will still have Infamous, Destiny and now Watch Dogs pushing PS4 marketing. Not the worst thing in the world but it still sucks we dont get watch dogs sooner. I really wanted to try that game.

FStop7

Banned

There was a Watchdogs branded PS4 bundle and exclusive content for the PS4 version was hyped by both Ubi and Sony pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom