• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a Watchdogs branded PS4 bundle and exclusive content for the PS4 version was hyped by both Ubi and Sony pretty hard.

Assassin's Creed is always hyped hard for Playstation systems but to my understanding nobody considers that a "Sony game".

Just seems to me Brad is adamant about liking Xbox more. Nothing wrong with that though.

I love AC but that 60 minutes exclusive content that AC4 and WatchDogs will have is probably going to be vaporware, judging from earlier games that featured this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Assassin's Creed is always hyped hard for Playstation systems but to my understanding nobody considers that a "Sony game".

Just seems to me Brad is adamant about liking Xbox more. Nothing wrong with that though.

A lot of people consider AC to be a Sony-centric game.

StuBurns

Banned
A lot of people consider AC to be a Sony-centric game.
Do they? Because it sells better on 360 every year.

And it's not install base that's doing it, because the games people really associate with Sony, like Final Fantasy, actually sell better there.

Brad's been pretty transparent about being a fanboy, it's not like he pretends otherwise.

RE_Player

Decided to drop my premium membership. I love the guys but the premium content in my opinion hasn't been that interesting and I've mostly just been listening to the bombcast and the morning show with scoops and the wolf. I'll probably do a monthly sub down the line and just catch up on whatever I missed.

Dragon

Banned
It's technically true?

No it's not.

I guess it hurts them because they had that bundle and watch dogs had some hype behind it.

Still these systems are going to sell out this holiday no matter what. In the end maybe having another big game with that PS4 co marketing next year will help Sony keep momentum going early next year when MS ditches kinect and drops the price and Titanfall gets released.

Once the holiday madness ends Sony will still have Infamous, Destiny and now Watch Dogs pushing PS4 marketing. Not the worst thing in the world but it still sucks we dont get watch dogs sooner. I really wanted to try that game.

The Xbone has a bundle with it also. Doesn't seem to make sense.

There was a Watchdogs branded PS4 bundle and exclusive content for the PS4 version was hyped by both Ubi and Sony pretty hard.

There are bundles for all the major launch games for each platform. Exclusive content, really? It was a dumb comment.

OMG Aero

I truly don't understand how Nintendo and Game Freak are so content with just sitting on their laurels and rebranding the same game over and over and over, occasionally with a new coat of paint.
Pokemon games still sell a shitload so they have no motivation to drastically change it and risk losing a huge money maker.

def sim

Alright, Pathfinder part 2 is pretty silly. I'm glad they're keeping at it. On to this week's UPF.

HL2 is better than people remember it. It came at a time where FPS campaigns were generally stronger. Now nothing is even close to that quality. The majority are vapid seven hour long corridors with snap aim and pretty lights.

The genre definitely has taken a step back in many ways other than from a presentational stand point.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Pokemon games still sell a shitload so they have no motivation to drastically change it and risk losing a huge money maker.

Yeah, I get that. And it makes me sad that they lack the inspiration and vision for something new.

But damn, these games make ungodly amounts of money, why not create a second team to create a Pokémon game that will actually shake up the industry a little, while also releasing the same 'ol Pokémon game everyone knows and loves.

A man can dream.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It seems like Brad only performs poorly at "bad" games.

As in, every time Brad does bad, it's the games fault.

Come on Brad.

zroid

Banned
Man, the GB guys don't know SHIT about pokemon, do they?

For some reason I thought Jeff was something of a lapsed Pokémon fan, but that's clearly wrong. :lol

He must have dabbled with the series before but he obviously hasn't spent much time with it at all.

Myomoto

Why would you expect them to? There's lots of better places to get Pokemon coverage if that's what you're looking for.

It just seems crazy to me that with the games having been nearly identical for 15 years they haven't managed to pick up almost any of the common gameplay elements.

StuBurns

Banned
I didn't pay that much attention, but what was it that Jeff didn't get that is surprising people? He knew stuff you wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with the series to know, such as certain Pokemon evolve using stones, etc.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For some reason I thought Jeff was something of a lapsed Pokémon fan, but that's clearly wrong. :lol

He must have dabbled with the series before but he obviously hasn't spent much time with it at all.

Ryan was the PokeFan.

I didn't pay that much attention, but what was it that Jeff didn't get that is surprising people? He knew stuff you wouldn't expect someone unfamiliar with the series to know, such as certain Pokemon evolve using stones, etc.

Someone pointed out that Jeff kept complaining that the controls with the roller skates were frustrating, but at one point he was walking around regularly then switched back to roller skates and kept complaining there wasn't an alternative.

For those uninformed, the circle pad uses the skates and the D-pad walks regularly.

I think he probably just walked with the D-pad without thinking and didn't really make the connection in his head between which movement did what.

StuBurns

Banned
Someone pointed out that Jeff kept complaining that the controls with the roller skates were frustrating, but at one point he was walking around regularly then switched back to roller skates and kept complaining there wasn't an alternative.
I'm sure that's the case, but it's not what I'm talking about...
It just seems crazy to me that with the games having been nearly identical for 15 years they haven't managed to pick up almost any of the common gameplay elements.
This, for example. The roller skate things are clearly not what this refers to.

On a positive non-Pokemon note, I'm re watching the Morrowind and Oblivion marathons with Dave and Ryan while I play my own playthrough of Oblivion and it really makes me wish they would do more of these, I love watching people play old PC RPG's and just bullshitting about the lore and dumb stuff in the game.

GolazoDan

I never really noticed I was from a completely different generation of gamers to the Giant Bomb guys until Brad said he'd never played a Pokemon game and Jeff's clearly not gone deep into any of the games. That was my thing when I was like 10. The Pokemon Movie and all that shit.

demidar

I went to the Pokemon movie just so I could get a promotional card for the Pokemon TCG.

Pokemon was absolutely massive back in the day.

It's kind of hard to tell what Jeff wants from Pokemon. He seems to simultaneously think it's too simple and kiddy and dislikes it because there's too much stuff there that takes away from a casual experience.

Neither of which I think is true, but it's hard to explain that to someone that has already made up their mind on it.

OMG Aero

Yeah, I get that. And it makes me sad that they lack the inspiration and vision for something new.

But damn, these games make ungodly amounts of money, why not create a second team to create a Pokémon game that will actually shake up the industry a little, while also releasing the same 'ol Pokémon game everyone knows and loves.

A man can dream.
You could say they are doing that with the side games like the Pokemon Ranger series and that weird Nobunaga strategy game, the thing is that none of them are ever good.

Except for Pokemon Snap: the greatest video game.

Dany

Banned
Are the controsl really that bad in a sonic game? I mean its sonic, a kids game bt this QL really blurs the line on whether its brad fault or the games.

dan2026

Bizarre Sonic lost world is exclusive?
Sega usually crap Sonic games onto every platform under the sun.

And I doubt Nintendo would pay for Sonic exclusivity.

Are the controsl really that bad in a sonic game? I mean its sonic, a kids game bt this QL really blurs the line on whether its brad fault or the games.

He didn't fare that badly. The controls were initially confusing when I played it a few weeks back, but after one level I had them down. And they aren't really overly similar to Generations, so it's nothing to do with my familiarity with that game.

They're unusual, anyway. Not in a bad way, in a good way on paper, in practice just... different.

Cranzor

Patrick's TEDx talk will be livestreamed here. He said he is part of the final block of speakers that started at 3pm EST and he's closing the event.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Bizarre Sonic lost world is exclusive?
Sega usually crap Sonic games onto every platform under the sun.

And I doubt Nintendo would pay for Sonic exclusivity.

Apparently Sonic always sold best on Nintendo consoles (I have only heard people say that, but it kinda makes sense) so maybe Nintendo didn't have to pay them much. Don't really know how anything works, would Nintendo really want to pay for Sonic to be exclusive?

def sim

iCAu16IvdrNM1.png

Already missing my second monitor.

also:
ifVY2vpF5oqUZ.png

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm noticing a lot of these Tedx talks are awful.

Zaph

Watching some of this TEDx stream Patrick is about to appear on and I'm getting awful flashbacks to the two TEDx's I was forced to help produce. This guy is talking about the tea he sells - so I guess it still totally is an event for navel gazers and wannabe philosophers who think they have an interesting story to tell.

Really hope Patrick can break out of that trap and give an interesting talk.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Watching some of this TEDx stream Patrick is about to appear on and I'm getting awful flashbacks to the two TEDx's I was forced to help produce. This guy is talking about the tea he sells - so I guess it still totally is an event for navel gazers and wannabe philosophers who think they have an interesting story to tell.

Really hope Patrick can break out of that trap and give an interesting talk.

I was just gonna post that it'd be cool if someone could say when Patrick is on...

I just tuned in and it's some guy who is telling everyone about how great his travels were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom