• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan

Aw man, bummer that they were having connection issues during the Pokemon Quick Look. Seeing 50 Japanese pass by you is fun.

Also Brad, you're boring >:|

I kind of wonder if Jeff was playing up the "I can't use these rollerskates" thing in the Pokemon quicklook.

At one point he uses the D-Pad to walk, which is what you're supposed to do for fine movements and hard corners, does not call attention to it, and stops doing it after that.

It seems like he wanted to show that one aspect doesn't work the way he likes and insisted on emphasizing it.

Darklord

Banned
Why does Brad have this thing that Australians say "Jiff"? That's more like South African or maybe a thick New Zealand accent. No Aussie accent ever says it like that.

StuBurns

Banned
They've QL'd Stanley Parable?

I have to suggest no one watch that unless they've played the game.

It is impossible to show without spoiling.

fleck0

I think it would be kinda cool if someone (probably Brad) got deep into the Pokemon Metagame. Thing is I doubt there's a way to make EV training and Breeding entertaining to watch.

Lijik

I think it would be kinda cool if someone (probably Brad) got deep into the Pokemon Metagame. Thing is I doubt there's a way to make EV training and Breeding entertaining to watch.

Itd make for interesting podcast discussion if only so the rest of the crew can have the same "what the FUCK are you doing?" feeling I had when my friends described the shit theyd do for ev training to me in high school

LegoArmo

Itd make for interesting podcast discussion if only so the rest of the crew can have the same "what the FUCK are you doing?" feeling I had when my friends described the shit theyd do for ev training to me in high school

Yeah, you can pretty much imagine the whole conversation in your head.

Brad seems like the type to get caught up in 'systems'.

Effort values (abbreviated EVs and previously called Stat Exp), officially called base stats (Japanese: きそポイント base point), are attributes which give bonuses to a Pokémon's stats and improve differently depending which Pokémon they defeat. These bonuses, in the form of effort points, are gained in addition to bonuses gained by increasing level. A Pokémon which increases in level using a Rare Candy instead of battling does not gain any EVs, making it weaker than a Pokémon who increases in level normally.

Roughly speaking, defeating fast Pokémon increases Speed better than fighting slow Pokémon, defeating Pokémon with high hit points improves HP more than defeating Pokémon with low HP, and so on. For example, fighting 100 Machop will improve a Pokémon's Attack stat more than fighting 100 Abra of the same level, whereas the Abra will improve the Special Attack stat more.

Unlike experience points, which are reduced when multiple Pokémon are receiving experience, effort points are awarded equally to all Pokémon who participated in defeating a Pokémon. Though they are shared, each of the Pokémon will receive the standard amount of effort points.

In Generation I and Generation II effort points given are equal to the Pokémon's base stats. For a list of the effort points that Pokémon give away on their defeat in Generation III, Generation IV, and Generation V see list of Pokémon by effort value yield.

Gaining effort points to increase desired EVs varies from being simple to complicated, depending on whether one wants their Pokémon to fully max out its stats or raise them to balanced heights. Should a Pokémon attain the maximum amount of 510 effort values, it will be eligible to receive an Effort Ribbon to signify this achievement (Generation III and IV). In Pokémon Black and White, there is an NPC in a house in Opelucid City who will tell the player if the Pokémon at the front of his or her party has attained 510 total effort values. In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Bianca, when called on the Xtransceiver, will tell the player whether a certain Pokémon in the party has attained 510 total effort values. She will also notify the player if a Pokémon has reached 252 effort values in any stat.

Effort values only appear in the main series Pokémon games, and are not present in the spin-off games, such as the Mystery Dungeon series.

Individual values
, IVs for short, sometimes also known as determinant values, DVs for short, are the Pokémon equivalent of genes. They are instrumental in determining the stats of a Pokémon, being responsible for the large variation in stats among untrained Pokémon of the same species.

In Generation III, the IV system was completely overhauled. Now, rather than having a range of 0-15, IVs would have a range of 0-31, with HP and Special Defense getting their own individually-determined IVs. The formula for calculation of stats by IVs was also changed, as with the IV system the EV system was also modified, and Natures, newly-introduced, now modified certain stats either by raising or lowering them by 10%. The personality value handles a Pokémon's gender, Shiny status, and several other aspects.

This new system is part of the reason why it is impossible to trade between Generation II and Generation III games.

The Generation III-on determination of stats follows the following two formulas:

HPStatCalcGen34.png

OtherStatCalcGen34.png

The IVs are now all stored together as a single 32-bit integer, separate from the equally-large personality value, which is used to determine other aspects of a Pokémon. This integer's highest bits, single numbers, determine which of two Abilities a Pokémon has (if it has potential to have more than one) and whether or not the Pokémon is an unhatched egg or not. The remaining 30 bits are the IVs, five bits apiece, in the order of Sp. Def, Sp. Atk, Speed, Defense, Attack, and HP.

For two Marill caught on Route 120:

what the fuck is that stanley game?

A mindfuck?

(I only played the original mod. I don't know what they added to the standalone one. Spoiler warning?)

You walk up to two doors. The narrator is like "Stanley walked up to two doors and entered the one on his left." You can then go right instead and freak the narrator out by continuing to go against the story he is trying to tell.

It was pretty clever.

FStop7

Banned
Can it be both

Yes, but my experience with various indie darling games over the past couple of years indicates it's uncommon. There have been some I really liked (Papers Please, Kerbal Space Program) and others that are decent but blown far out of proportion because it's mostly people congratulating their friends.

When I heard there was a special version of the Stanley Parable made exclusively for Adam Sessler, master of hyperbole, my bullshit sense tingled something fierce.

pizza dog

Banned
There's a Stanley Parable demo that has content not in the game. I haven't watched the QL but I'd guess they'd do that?

Is the Stanley Parable really good or is this another indie jerkfest?

Maybe the jerkfest is happening in your clothes. 'Cuz you're the jerk.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

The Generation III-on determination of stats follows the following two formulas:

HPStatCalcGen34.png

OtherStatCalcGen34.png

The IVs are now all stored together as a single 32-bit integer, separate from the equally-large personality value, which is used to determine other aspects of a Pokémon. This integer's highest bits, single numbers, determine which of two Abilities a Pokémon has (if it has potential to have more than one) and whether or not the Pokémon is an unhatched egg or not. The remaining 30 bits are the IVs, five bits apiece, in the order of Sp. Def, Sp. Atk, Speed, Defense, Attack, and HP.

Well duh.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is the Stanley Parable really good or is this another indie jerkfest?

I just played it, and laughed constantly throughout and was surprised at the amount of choices and decisions. Very funny stuff.

I absolutely do not recommend the game to anyone.

GolazoDan

I've played a good bit of The Stanley Parable but kinda don't want to watch the quick look in case they do something I haven't seen. First run I went against everything the narrator said, ha.

The humour really reminds me of, funnily enough, the humour in Portal. Particularly Portal 2.

Xater

Yeah not gonna watch the Stanley Parable QL. I have the game and played a bit of it but really don#t want to get my experience spoiled.

Also that Pokemon QL made me fall asleep. So it's just like the real game!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Brad have this thing that Australians say "Jiff"? That's more like South African or maybe a thick New Zealand accent. No Aussie accent ever says it like that.

He might be confused with NZ accents. They say E's like I's all the damn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom