• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The old tale of "don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say", while somewhat too simple, is still applicable...

Dear god, that chat...

Patrick is next to it telling me that 1% of the Internet is horrible and you have to ignore that part, but the entirety of the chat is utterly disgusting. What do I do now?

FStop7

Banned
I take it this was some unmoderated chat full of dipshits and not the Giant Bomb chat, which is generally well managed.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
335707206_7006du41.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Dear god, that chat...

Patrick is next to it telling me that 1% of the Internet is horrible and you have to ignore that part, but the entirety of the chat is utterly disgusting. What do I do now?

"1%" is a manner of speech.

What he means is that the minority is, usually, much louder.

For instance: People complaining about something are much more vocal, loud and obnoxious than the people that had no issues with anything. The chat is filled with people talking shit and being terrible, but how many are watching and not saying a thing?

I know (hope) you know this, but some people might not.. :D

Xater

I wonder how many of his mentions are also a great example of his talk....

I am sure we will hear about that on the next Bombin' :p

kiyomi

Great job, Scoops.

I'm always up for hearing Patrick talk about something he's passionate about, and he made his points very clearly. Really enjoyed listening to him speak.

nbthedude

I take it this was some unmoderated chat full of dipshits and not the Giant Bomb chat, which is generally well managed.

The chat got 4channed. And actually that is my first real experience with that community.

I mean, I heard about it before but Jesus Christ I don't know how to explain what was going on in that chat room unless they were all like fifteen year olds who had not yet gained a social conscience.

Someone in the OT made a talk box thread and I immediately flashed back to that QL or TNT when they came across someone using a talk box in the game chat and Jeff started a month long infatuation with talk boxes.

What game was that. I am thinking COD World at War but that cant be right can it? I dont think they did QL's that early.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm rather cynical, but I don't think those people actually care about Patrick's dad dying, outside of the people who knew him, or really care about Patrick. I'd bet 99.9% of that thread is people who felt a moral obligation to be polite, not that they actually care. Of course the people who trolled him about it don't dislike his dad either, they just want to get a rise out of him.

It's a strange situation, people targeting an individual they don't know, but dislike through media exposure, it isn't really any worse to me than a general 'die in a fire' type comment. He seemed disgusted at the comments about his dad, but in reality, he must logically not see it as being worse than what he did. In fact, it's arguably not as bad. At least if you have watched and listened to a person for a long time, you can have some justification for disliking them, above just this is a person that uses an ad blocking service, and I don't agree with that.

The Phil Fish thing really surprised me, the amount of people who were defending the guy. Regardless of what you think of the man (he seems utterly loathsome from what I've seen), the attacks against him on Twitter and whatnot, were a result of his actions. People will often jump to something personal, as a means of attack, but I think it's only really because they know that the general noise you get on the internet means nothing gets through unless it is disturbingly extreme. To use that GTA5 review as an example, I imagine a lot of people felt that if you're transgender, you probably have a very unique view point on which to discuss the depiction of sexuality in GTA5, Patrick said it had nothing to do with her role as a critic, but that is seriously misguided. Someone saying "Caroline, I think your personal life impacts your view of how gender is represented in the game" or whatever, is going to get no traction whatsoever. It's too easily dismissed.

I don't agree with people attacking Patrick over his dad's death, or Phil Fish for being a dick, or Caroline for having had gender realignment, of course, but I think it's the natural escalation of comments being so easy to gloss-over.

Outside of a (fairly) well groomed community, such as GAF, the bile is a natural result of the sheer volume of people taking part.

Personally, I don't see how you can have any sort of meaningful discussion in a comments section, it's not structured in a way that's conducive to anything other than one note commentary, which is why I never read them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Someone in the OT made a talk box thread and I immediately flashed back to that QL or TNT when they came across someone using a talk box in the game chat and Jeff started a month long infatuation with talk boxes.

What game was that. I am thinking COD World at War but that cant be right can it? I dont think they did QL's that early.

Funnily enough, I made that thread because someone in this thread linked to an old podcast where Jeff is talking about his infatuation with talkboxes - which initially sprang up because of them coming across someone using a talkbox in a games chat.

Megasoum

Banned

Yes it was World at War but it wasn't during a quicklook. They talked about it during the podcast and they posted the video of what happened while they were capturing video for, I assume, a potential video review.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/call-of-duty-vocoders-at-war/2300-102/

Lunzio

I'm rather cynical, but I don't think those people actually care about Patrick's dad dying, outside of the people who knew him, or really care about Patrick. I'd bet 99.9% of that thread is people who felt a moral obligation to be polite, not that they actually care. Of course the people who trolled him about it don't dislike his dad either, they just want to get a rise out of him.

It's a strange situation, people targeting an individual they don't know, but dislike through media exposure, it isn't really any worse to me than a general 'die in a fire' type comment. He seemed disgusted at the comments about his dad, but in reality, he must logically not see it as being worse than what he did. In fact, it's arguably not as bad. At least if you have watched and listened to a person for a long time, you can have some justification for disliking them, above just this is a person that uses an ad blocking service, and I don't agree with that.

The Phil Fish thing really surprised me, the amount of people who were defending the guy. Regardless of what you think of the man (he seems utterly loathsome from what I've seen), the attacks against him on Twitter and whatnot, were a result of his actions. People will often jump to something personal, as a means of attack, but I think it's only really because they know that the general noise you get on the internet means nothing gets through unless it is disturbingly extreme. To use that GTA5 review as an example, I imagine a lot of people felt that if you're transgender, you probably have a very unique view point on which to discuss the depiction of sexuality in GTA5, Patrick said it had nothing to do with her role as a critic, but that is seriously misguided. Someone saying "Caroline, I think your personal life impacts your view of how gender is represented in the game" or whatever, is going to get no traction whatsoever. It's too easily dismissed.

I don't agree with people attacking Patrick over his dad's death, or Phil Fish for being a dick, or Caroline for having had gender realignment, of course, but I think it's the natural escalation of comments being so easy to gloss-over.

Outside of a (fairly) well groomed community, such as GAF, the bile is a natural result of the sheer volume of people taking part.

Personally, I don't see how you can have any sort of meaningful discussion in a comments section, it's not structured in a way that's conducive to anything other than one note commentary, which is why I never read them.

There's actually some stuff here that I disagree with, and much of it stems from the fact that I do my best to not be cynical and to always try to see the best in people. From my viewpoint, you're already approaching the situation from a negative perspective as a cynic.

I genuinely do hope that Patrick, and the Giant Bomb community (especially as of late), has the best of luck and truly wish them happiness through the toughest times. Maybe my view is skewed because of my future in health care. That was not out of moral obligation. That's just being human. That's what I know could help me if I was in that situation.

Comments that these public figures receive are different than general statements. They're personal. They attack vulnerabilities. That can hurt.

My argument for Phil Fish stands from a purely personal perspective. I don't think we need to get into any of that discussion, but the way to treat people was misguided on both sides.

popo

Why go to all the trouble of wearing a nice suit and tie and then not do up the top button? Tell me he wasn't wearing trainers at least.

Stu, you're just being a huge cynic. You seem to be making a lot of baseless massively negative assumptions there. I can't think of a reason why people would be obliged to be "polite" over the internet if they didn't care about that person. I don't see why you think it's more understandable a person would revel in the death of the family member of a person they don't know but write internet articles they don't like than it is for somebody to be upset and angry about a company asking for money to advertise a product that compromises the job that person loves, not that it's even pertinent given Patrick admitted it was a terrible to say.

I don't see why you ignore the fact Phil didn't start the shit he got upset about, nor the context in which it happened, actually I'd bet at least some of it has to do with him making a threat when he was upset which you consider to be one of the worst things you can do on the internet. Nor how Caroline's gender reassignment should be pointed out when the quoted section fully explained why she found it misogynistic, much like I don't feel the need to have the entire history of reviewers detailed to me in each review so I can get some sense of why they might have come to the conclusion that they did.

Ultimately it seems to me that you're so set in your way that nothing positive can come of comments that you feel the need to twist what Patrick experienced and talked about given it proves your viewpoint wrong.

Why go to all the trouble of wearing a nice suit and tie and then not do up the top button? Tell me he wasn't wearing trainers at least.

Maybe it was causing some difficulties with his mic when it was done up?

StuBurns

Banned
Stu, you're just being a huge cynic. You seem to be making a lot of baseless massively negative assumptions there. I can't think of a reason why people would be obliged to be "polite" over the internet if they didn't care about that person. I don't see why you think it's more understandable a person would revel in the death of the family member of a person they don't know but write internet articles they don't like than it is for somebody to be upset and angry about a company asking for money to advertise a product that compromises the job that person loves, not that it's even pertinent given Patrick admitted it was a terrible to say.
Okay, a reason someone might feel obligated. Well, GiantBomb is a community, and if you're a member of that community, you might not want to be seen as having been cold, even if you don't personally care.

I didn't say they 'reveled', in fact, just the opposite, I said I doubt they actually care, and just wanted to piss him off. And the reason I think it's more 'understandable', if I had read your posts for months, and they pissed me off, saying I wished you to die in a fire, is far more understandable than if I said that about every member of the GiantBomb community to die in a fire for no good reason.

He did say it was a bad thing to say, indeed, and he said he'd never do it again, I don't think I was discounting that, I just don't see it as being relevant. He didn't regret on a personal level, he regretted it's impact on the escalation of casual hatred on the internet, which was exactly my point. There was no personal hatred behind the comment, it was purely an emotional response to get a rise out of people.
I don't see why you ignore the fact Phil didn't start the shit he got upset about, nor the context in which it happened, actually I'd bet at least some of it has to do with him making a threat when he was upset which you consider to be one of the worst things you can do on the internet.
I have no idea what you mean by that last sentence, sounds like you're assuming an awful lot about what I consider to be bad. I think Phil Fish is a dick, but it's nothing to do with whatever threat you're referring to. Nor did I specify what I was talking about regarding Phil Fish, so I can't guess what 'context' to which you're referring.
Nor how Caroline's gender reassignment should be pointed out when the quoted section fully explained why she found it misogynistic, much like I don't feel the need to have the entire history of reviewers detailed to me in each review so I can get some sense of why they might have come to the conclusion that they did.
I don't really know where you're going with this part. Reviews are an unusual thing, some people believe they should be targeted for the audience of the site, some wholly subjective. I don't think you should need to know anything about a reviewer, not even their name, but I don't get to have my tastes in reviews be ubiquitous.
Ultimately it seems to me that you're so set in your way that nothing positive can come of comments that you feel the need to twist what Patrick experienced and talked about given it proves your viewpoint wrong.
I think the results of the comments were obviously positive, so you're wrong. Patrick said it helped him, that's very nice, and certainly a positive thing. It doesn't mean I think the intent was that. I know a girl who struggled with her sexuality, and found great solace in what she believed was an artist's implicit messaging about his homosexuality in his music. And he's now married with a young daughter. It doesn't change that it had a positive impact at all.

bonercop

i didn't feel a sense of loss when patrick's dad died because i obviously didn't know the guy, but i did feel really bad for patrick when it happened out of nowhere because i'm not a sociopath.

Sorry Stu, I've had a long work day and it seems like my reading comprehension along with my articulation have taken a hit. I'd still maintain that basic human decency would come before 99.9% of posters being afraid of what others would think of them if they didn't say something kind to Patrick. Also you seem to want to think the worst of people giving positive comments and the best (?) of those giving negative ones. Though I'd still say trolling a vulnerable person over the thing that made them vulnerable is much worst than wishing somebody dead in an upset moment because they're asking for donation towards a program that could cost you your livelihood.

As for the Phil Fish issue, I thought you were referring to the Marcus Beer incident that caused him to say he was leaving the industry given it was the only time I saw a lot of support for him. Sorry if I assumed wrong and you were talking about a long term view of him.

I totally misread your comment about Caroline and your conclusion so I can only apologise for that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Cover photo of the GB crew covered in Tricaster generated flames.

Seriously, I think he could write a good book about this sort of social interaction online.

Actually, it would be called: Common sense and how people on the internet/in the world don't have it.

graboids

finally watched UPF and I am already excited at the idea of a 24 hour stream that will include Vinny and Jeff! watched all of last year's Halo stream (not all of it live) with Drew and Alexis, this year sounds even better.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Catching up on Unprofessional Fridays.

Alexis: "YouTube has the worst video player."

Yeah, when vinny clicked ahead on the scroll bar to get to a part of the video, it didn't work, jeff said "click back a little bit" and Alexis said that, I immediately though "but that doesn't work on Giantbomb's Video Player either".

I just download everything anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
Also you seem to want to think the worst of people giving positive comments and the best (?) of those giving negative ones. Though I'd still say trolling a vulnerable person over the thing that made them vulnerable is much worst than wishing somebody dead in an upset moment because they're asking for donation towards a program that could cost you your livelihood.
I certainly don't think highly of anyone being a dick to Patrick about his dad, it's disgusting.

I obviously did a bad job of explaining that point. I think it's worse to say thousands of people you have nothing to do with should die in a fire, than to specifically say something bad to a single person you don't like from having listened to them on podcasts or whatnot. Both are cunty actions, I just think Patrick's one was much worse.

It's like the intent versus result thing again, just because no one cares about being slagged off when in a massive group, doesn't mean the intent itself was not as bad if not worse than something which can actually upset someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom