• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

I kind of want to make an android app for giant bombvideos as well... Just to be able to make a video playlist function. Though the giant bomb video buddy is already very settled in the community.

Majine

Banned
It's not that hard.

typing-of-the-dead-download.jpg

webrunner

the battlefield quick look.. that looks.. disgusting

they give you two choices, a good one and a bad one, then they make the good choice for you then you get.. told the good choice was bad?

Fox318

Did they forget to install the mandatory install or something for xbox

Giantbomb isn't about videogames anymore. The crew can't be bothered to play games they can talk about or games that aren't dota2.

24/7 llama coverage.

LLAAMAMAAAA

MAMAMAA

WHY DON't YOU WATCH A DRAMA

Curufinwe

Patrick reveals why there's no story on Giant Bomb about the resolution differences between the two most popular multiplatform titles releasing next month on the next gen consoles.

http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/65617941974/im-so-glad-that-so-many-games-reporters-are-also

I'm so glad that so many games reporters are also experts in the development field and can tell me that most people can't tell if something is 1080p so it doesn't really matter. Those hard working hardware engineers and software developers clearly don't know what they're doing, wasting their time by going higher than 720p! And the human eye can't see higher than 24fps anyway!
Anonymous asked

As someone that owns a TV that only goes up to 1080i, I actually don’t really care about 1080p. But there’s a middle ground here, right? Some folks are acting like the sky is falling because of the 720p/1080p split, which is disingenuous because it’s launch time and we’re so quick to forget the problems PS3 games had at the start, too. Most developers I’ve talked to said this won’t continue to be a problem in the future. (Real talk: games are not going to be 60fps/1080p this generation. Want that? Get a PC.)

The dismissive nature from some writers probably stems from exhaustion at watching people tear each other apart over these machines. Every day, it’s a new thing. Every day, it’s another forum thread. I’ll be nice when these machines just came out, so we could actually have something to argue about.

As I said in the resolution thread, it's really funny to see him use the word disingenuous when that's exactly what he's being.

No one has forgotten the PS3's issues with multiplatform games. They lasted for years and never went away entirely despite the PS3 having a more powerful processor than the 360. These "launch time" performance gaps aren't going to go away because the Xbone is always going to have a weaker GPU and a slower & more cumbersome RAM setup.

Somehow he knows that even PS4 games won't be 1080p/60fps even though some already are. And that "most developers" claim this won't be a problem in the future. If "this" is referring to the Xbone having a significantly less powerful GPU and a much slower & more cumbersome RAM setup, what is going to make that go away in the future?

derFeef

Patrick reveals why there's no story on Giant Bomb about the resolution differences between the two most popular multiplatform titles releasing next month on the next gen consoles.

http://patrickklepek.tumblr.com/post/65617941974/im-so-glad-that-so-many-games-reporters-are-also

As I said in the resolution thread, it's really funny to see him use the word disingenuous when that's exactly what he's being.

No one has forgotten the PS3's issues with multiplatform games. They lasted for years and never went away entirely despite the PS3 having a more powerful processor. than the 360. These "launch time" performance gaps aren't going to go away because the Xbone is always going to have a weaker GPU and a slower & more cumbersome RAM setup.

Somehow he knows that even PS4 games won't be 1080p/60fps even though some already are. And that "most developers" claim this won't be a problem in the future. If "this" is referring to the Xbone having a significantly less powerful GPU and a much slower & more cumbersome RAM setup, what is going to make that go away in the future?
I am pretty sure he or they is/are just tired of posts like this and people want them to "pick a side" or something.

They'll have a stream for both consoles and I'm sure will comment on differences.

GB does things differently, it's not hard to get. If there's a news story that's already on a billion sites/forums they don't see the need to have that on their page as well. Instead Llamas.

StuBurns

Banned
"I’ll be nice when these machines just came out"

Is Patrick posting on crack?

Also, it's a moronic response. He doesn't have a 1080p TV, so it's not news basically.

No one forgets PS3's early issues. There hasn't been a single game in the entire current generation with a resolution gap even remotely close to Ghosts.

RaikuHebi

Banned
And yet this is their tagline for the BF4 quicklook:
"The PC and 360 versions of BF4 look very different, but there is one thing they both have: feelings."

Curufinwe

They'll have a stream for both consoles and I'm sure will comment on differences.

GB does things differently, it's not hard to get. If there's a news story that's already on a billion sites/forums they don't see the need to have that on their page as well. Instead Llamas.

The PS4 FAQ story is on a million other sites.

Of course Patrick won't be able to comment on any multiplatform differences anyway since his TV only goes up to 720p. Maybe a generous fan will send him a 1080p set. You can get a decent one for $500 but I wouldn't expect a videogame journalist to actually pay for it himself.

No one forgets PS3's early issues. There hasn't been a single game in the entire current generation with a resolution gap even remotely close to Ghosts.

It was a bit of a special case, but I bought a 360 in 2010 because the PS3 version of Bayonetta was such a mess. That was more than three years after the PS3 launched.

megalowho

No one has forgotten the PS3's issues with multiplatform games. They lasted for years and never went away entirely despite the PS3 having a more powerful processor. than the 360. These "launch time" performance gaps aren't going to go away because the Xbone is always going to have a weaker GPU and a slower & more cumbersome RAM setup.

He's right though - if people are honestly that passionate about performance, PC is your platform. 30fps and 720p isn't going away from the console space anytime soon, it is a design choice that will happen no matter how powerful the new boxes are. Individual comparisons (including PC versions) can be made on a game by game basis via reviews and impressions of final versions, just like everything else.

Disingenuous may not apply to everyone looking to make this into a massive ordeal, but clearly it does for those looking to inject a system wars agenda into the discussion. I get the disappointment, but not the outrage.

Empty

"Most developers I’ve talked to said this won’t continue to be a problem in the future."

also everything we've heard says that sony is going to have the same used games system

snark aside, i think there's an interesting story outside of the which console is best stuff that klepek wants to avoid. why has last generations balance in terms of ease of development suddenly switched, what does this say about the philosophies of the two big companies this generation. dismissing it because f'anboys care about it too much' and 'it doesn't personally effect me' is a shame.

Shosai

Banned

No one has forgotten the PS3's issues with multiplatform games. They lasted for years and never went away entirely despite the PS3 having a more powerful processor than the 360. These "launch time" performance gaps aren't going to go away because the Xbone is always going to have a weaker GPU and a slower & more cumbersome RAM setup.

Well, this was also true for the PS3. Yet the gap between multiplatform games eventually became negligible, due to streamlined development practices. Devs eventually figured out how to compensate for the PS3's inferior GPU and split RAM setup

What makes this all hilarious is that the GB crew have increasingly become PC gamers. A platform where even the smallest settings change can cause a noticable difference. Yet I guarantee we will see the same downplaying that is going on everywhere else. Never forget Brad saying in February that these machines would be identical.

StuBurns

Banned
It was a bit of a special case, but I bought a 360 in 2010 because the PS3 version of Bayonetta was such a mess. That was more than three years after the PS3 launched.
Indeed, in fact, the worse ever was Skyrim, much more recent.
Never forget Brad saying in February that these machines would be identical.
Just this week on the bombcast he was talking about how you can't judge the systems till they're out, all of maybe thirty seconds after he mocked PS4 for needing a firmware update to play blurays. The XBO needs a firmware update to playing fucking video games.

So transparent.

Curufinwe

Yet. It will happen, and all this discussion will be null.

If a PS4 game can only run at 720p, 30 fps then the Xbone version will be running at a lower resolution and/or a lower frame rate.

The fact that for the first time ever two consoles are launching at the same time but one is both cheaper and more powerful is something worth discussing, no matter how uncomfortable it is for certain people in the gaming media to deal with.

Well, this was also true for the PS3. Yet the gap between multiplatform games eventually became negligible, due to streamlined development practices. Devs eventually figured out how to compensate for the PS3's inferior GPU and split RAM setup

Years down the line they managed to compensate in most cases, but the PS3 had a significantly more powerful processor than the 360 did. The Xbone does not enjoy a similar long-term advantage.

megalowho

There are no PS4 games that are 720p, 30 fps.
And there never will be, right? :)

C'mon, we've all been through this rodeo before. By the time they are wringing out the last bits of power from these boxes down the road, compromises will have to be made. It's just the nature of locked down hardware. Taking it game by game is the way to go, and if the discrepancies are bad we'll know about it.

derFeef

What makes this all hilarious is that the GB crew have increasingly become PC gamers. A platform where even the smallest settings change can cause a noticable difference. Yet I guarantee we will see the same downplaying that is going on everywhere else. Never forget Brad saying in February that these machines would be identical.

They don't even care what the settings do - SSAO - whut?. This is not the site for that.

Vire

That post could not be any more idiotic from Patrick. There are already a ton of games at 1080p 60fps.

And he doesn't care about 1080p because he doesn't have a television that supports it? Give me a fucking break.

Megasoum

Banned

Yeah but I'm sure that, while they may be playing on PC, they are all the kind of people who leave all the options to the automatic settings and never touch anything. They've been pretty open about trying to recreate the console experience on PC.

Shosai

Banned
Years down the line they managed to compensate in most cases, but the PS3 had a significantly more powerful processor than the 360 did. The Xbone does not enjoy a similar long-term advantage.

That doesn't contradict what I said. You seemed to be unaware that the PS3 had the exact same hardware disadvantages you outlined, combined with a Cell processor that was too cumbersome to properly utilize, and a non-unified RAM setup.

megalowho

720p was the standard from day one, till now on PS3/360.

We didn't see people go back down to 480i or anything. Some games were very low res, Siren, Alan Wake, etc, but no, the standard never changed.
And yet Battlefield 4 is 900p on PS4. I agree that we won't see anything below HD resolutions, but to imply that 1080p is the standard for PS4 moving forward is, indeed, disingenuous.

gazele

Banned
"I’ll be nice when these machines just came out"

Is Patrick posting on crack?

Also, it's a moronic response. He doesn't have a 1080p TV, so it's not news basically.

I think he meant "it'll be nice when the machines are out"

I think this is a general problem with Giantbomb, if it doesn't effect them it doesn't matter and if it does it's a huge deal, although that's their choice i suppose

StuBurns

Banned
That doesn't contradict what I said. You seemed to be unaware that the PS3 had the exact same hardware disadvantages you outlined, combined with a Cell processor that was too cumbersome to properly utilize, and a non-unified RAM setup.
But the PS4's GPU isn't close to being tapped either. It's going to be a couple of years till people get to grips with the GPGPU picking up the CPU slack.

eSRAM is limiting XBO, and GPGPU is limiting PS4. They're both in their infancy, one's infancy is just much better.
And yet Battlefield 4 is 900p on PS4. I agree that we won't see anything below HD resolutions, but to imply that 1080p is the standard for PS4 moving forward is, indeed, disingenuous.
But that's the only one, isn't it?

That's like saying because PGR3 was 600p at launch for 360, 720p won't be the standard. It was.

Curufinwe

Yes, it does contradict what you said and I'm well aware of the PS3's hardware disadvantages. Because of them it cost me $280 to play Bayonetta.

Developers eventually compensated for the areas where the PS3 was significantly weaker than the 360 (GPU and RAM) by using the area where it was significantly stronger (Processor). And the 360 is still better for multiplatform games like AC4 because having a weaker GPU and inferior RAM is very hard to compensate for, even seven years down the line

The Xbone is weaker or roughly the same in all areas. So there's no reason to assume that multiplatform titles will eventually reach parity. As the Xbone gets better tools for managing ESRAM, PS4 developers will be getting better at using GPGPU.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/cerny_explains_how_ps4s_graphics_will_evolve_over_time.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom