• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

RPGam3r

I love Shenmue but I can't imagine this makes for a good endurance run game. There's so much waiting around. Experienced players can optimize time and do a good run of things to show you everything but these two just fumbling around is going to have so much dead air.

I don't think we watch the same GB content. I don't understand "dead air."

Staf

Alex took a while to gel for me, but once I heard about him touring with his band in his teens, it all came together. I'm starting to come around on Bakalar too. The only GB related guy that just rubs me entirely the wrong way is Rorie. All the rest seem great.

Rorie is great he takes showers in the dark! I actually like all current bombers. The only one i never liked that's been part of the crew previously was Austin.

kAmui-

I don't think we watch the same GB content. I don't understand "dead air."

Exactly. I've been re watching P4 endurance run and the fusing and grinding episodes are great. It's just Jeff and Vinny having random conversations. They're like mini podcasts. Not the best if watching the video is your main focus, but perfect for second monitor while you play something.

Goron2000

best junior ever
The first Yakuza game had a notoriously bad dub. For they following games they chose to just subtitle them. Which, imho, fits the nature of the games much better.

I played it for the first time last year and it seemed fine to me, especially when compared to other games from the ps2 era.

I played it for the first time last year and it seemed fine to me, especially when compared to other games from the ps2 era.
I think it's a pretty good dub, especially for the time. I just think the games are so Japanese that the English voice acting seems out of place and can end up rubbing people the wrong way. It is certainly waaay better than the Shenmue dub. Although, for the purpose of the endurance run, I'm glad we get the super cheesy English dub.

Spaghetti

Are they allowed to read the manual? If they learn how useful the "look" feature is, they might find it more enjoyable.
I think they'll figure that out naturally, I'm just worried they've spent the whole game not learning how to use the Resume save feature so they don't need to run home to save.

So... anybody hope they'll do Shenmue II? As far as I know, none of them have played it. I might look into sending them a copy along with some kinda Dreamcast boot disk so they can play the EU version.

oti

Banned
Yeah, although they hate the games, they know it's good content.

I see this as an opportunity. They should make a Mario Party Party before Dan leaves and then make it a yearly thing for GOTY Holiday time.

"Here's your Christmas gift you trash bags 5h of AWFULNESS!"

Nerokis

Alex took a while to gel for me, but once I heard about him touring with his band in his teens, it all came together. I'm starting to come around on Bakalar too. The only GB related guy that just rubs me entirely the wrong way is Rorie. All the rest seem great.

Yeah, Alex also has that "interesting background" thing going for him. I love that he has dancer DNA, and can speak about dance with real appreciation.

Speaking of his band, though, something I've never been sure of: did Alex and Jeff ever tour together? I feel like it's been brought before, but I've never been 100% sure how their musical histories overlap.

Strax

Yeah, Alex also has that "interesting background" thing going for him. I love that he has dancer DNA, and can speak about dance with real appreciation.

Speaking of his band, though, something I've never been sure of: did Alex and Jeff ever tour together? I feel like it's been brought before, but I've never been 100% sure how their musical histories overlap.

I pretty sure there was one year of overlap

Anticol

Banned
Rorie is great he takes showers in the dark! I actually like all current bombers. The only one i never liked that's been part of the crew previously was Austin.

I'm with you, liked every member, past and current, of the crew, all of them besides Austin.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Endurance Run predates your "let's plays", son.
mXyupD1.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
dan saying he doesn't like soap operas is funny since wrestling is just one big soap opera but with fights.

Well, that's probably why he doesn't like soap operas. If a soap opera had a moment where some dude was staring off into the ether only to get hit in the back by a steel chair, he would probably quite enjoy it.

How far back do youtube let's plays predate the first GB endurance run in form?

Poyunch

I dunno. Vinny is just really great with improv and Alex is way more self-deprecating than cynical. The GBEast crew just seems way more open to games.

A lot of the Quick Look games they cover seems like games GB West wouldn't cover but who knows how they claim games.

I get way more of a positive vibe from the east coast crew.

def sim

Well, that's probably why he doesn't like soap operas. If a soap opera had a moment where some dude was staring off into the ether only to get hit in the back by a steel chair, he would probably quite enjoy it.

How far back do youtube let's plays predate the first GB endurance run in form?

let's plays were popular on somethingawful back when we would download every episode

they used to (still?) have an archive somewhere

Skyzard

Banned
"Someone's playing Shenmue again!" :lol

That part was great.

It's interesting watching this, they are honing in on a lot of the stuff I found odd but just accepted playing this quite young. I think they'll grow to like it by the end though. Maybe not Alex.

Definitely enjoyed the first part, though the Shenmue fan / gaming enthusiast in me kept getting annoyed that they completely ignored the zoom function, which is how you interact with everything from light switches to cabinets and pickup items, read signs, etc. I think the old lady they left in the park is designed to help you realize this by having you search for and read the name of the home owner she is seeking.

Nishastra

Banned
I don't like the things you like. It's OK. You'll be OK. I'll be OK. And I bet the guy who makes a living putting content on the internet for others to consume will be A-OK as well.
"Don't like the things you like"?

Sure, that's what this is about. Not that you said because you gave his company money, you're justified in treating him like shit.

That's not an opinion, that's just being an asshole.

ajim

Great. Problem with these is that everyone soups at shenmue 1 when shenmue 2 is a much better gaming experience in my opinion and better to watch people stream.

Jintor

Now I'm imagining what Neighbours would be like if they broke out into fights every episode. Summer Bay would never be the same!

Really enjoyed episode 1. I didn't know about the zoom when I first played the game until looking at the nameplates to help the old lady. A lot of what they were experimenting with reminded me of my first playthrough.

Also, just watch Shenmue's intro with Lan-Di's super high quality character model always makes me happy. We went from MGS1 bobbing heads in 1998 to this in less than 2 years. The voice acting is terrible but it has a charm to it. The main reason I want to see an HD remake of the game is so we can get higher quality audio.

Will part 2 and the rest of the run be on YouTube or is it a subscriber thing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FFVIII is the only FF that doesn't show up with a search. Maybe it was taken down.

Yeah, seems to be. Such a shame, it was easily the best one on the website.

There's a butchered version on the wayback machine, some images don't load but its still something I guess.

https://web.archive.org/web/20111005212312/http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/

The Dark ID's Resident Evil one's are very good too. His Chrono Cross one is almost up there with that FFVIII one too. I generally go through all of his LP's even if its a game I've never played/heard of.

Parsnip

Whatever they are using is definitely not ideal. Seems like composite cables, to be honest. The night-time was way too dark, making me think contrast is way too high or something.

I was wondering if the darkness was just the way the game was since I never played it.
Too bad that they've already recorded the whole thing so unless they fix it in post it's going to be like that through the whole ER.

Anyone complaining about Dan Ryckert must have never endured the Patrick Klepek years.

"Mwahahaha, I've been waiting YEARS for this burn! Hahaha"

shush

Really enjoyed episode 1. I didn't know about the zoom when I first played the game until looking at the nameplates to help the old lady. A lot of what they were experimenting with reminded me of my first playthrough.

Also, just watch Shenmue's intro with Lan-Di's super high quality character model always makes me happy. We went from MGS1 bobbing heads in 1998 to this in less than 2 years. The voice acting is terrible but it has a charm to it. The main reason I want to see an HD remake of the game is so we can get higher quality audio.

Will part 2 and the rest of the run be on YouTube or is it a subscriber thing?

It was heady days indeed. I miss game design growth marching in lock-step with technology.

Top Bottom