• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

People used to hate on Alex a lot as well, and iirc it got to the point where Jeff told them to fuck off. Patrick had to endure a lot of crap too.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dan's brand of humor, but he doesn't deserve to be shat on in every thread.

People used to hate on Alex a lot too, and iirc it got to the point where Jeff told them to fuck off. Patrick had to endure a lot of crap too.

I'm not Dan's biggest fan, but he doesn't deserve to be shat on in every thread.

Some people just hate change. I'll be honest and say I never really thought much of Alex over on the West Coast either, but I think he and Vinny are a perfect combo of perhaps-cynical straight-man and eccentric enabler at GBeast.

I didn't know what to think when I heard Dan was joining, but he proved himself real quickly in my opinion. Stuff like the CD-i video and the Sonic Boom QL are fucking gold, and Dan absolutely contributes to those. The stuff Dan has done while over at GBeast has been really good so far, I think there's really good chemistry between him, Vinny and Alex - very Three Stooges if I'm being honest so he'll make it work, and GB Prime will find someone to fill that spot.

Stimpack

Which Giant Bomb member are we hating on in this thread?

Another Endurance Run. I could not be more happy. Don't ruin this for me.

orient

Neo Member
Jesus, if you're coming in just to fart out which crew member you don't like then good on ya; no one cares about your opinion.

Now, the video: I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. Alex's skepticism is well matched by Dan's positivity. I do hope they figure out the interact/zoom sooner rather than later because that's vital for certain parts.

I recently watched Game Informer's Super Replay of Shenmue which is pretty much the exact same thing, and it was cool because the viewers would give them tips after every episode on controls, neat things to try etc.

pronk420

Recently with Dan hanging out with the GBEast guys, they seem to work really well together, but its a bit worrying for the SF guys. Doesn't that mean they only have Brad and Jeff left (not counting Drew and Jason because they do the logistics stuff)? And no more Danny McIrish dropping by.

Protome

Man, people hating on Alex and/or Dan...
0asCbEt.gif

Also I remember really disliking Shenmue when I played it, a few years after release. My girlfriend had never heard of it before watching this endurance run with me and turned to me and said "People liked this game?!"

kiguel182

First, I love Alex. And Dan. All of them are great in their own way. Also, they are real people so shitting on them like some people here are doing is, well, shitty.

Second, that video is not kind to Shenmue but the dudes are funny enough to carry that. It will be a fun series for sure.

Third, East > West. I've picked my side! Dan in the East just solidifies that. Hopefully we can get more Beastcasts with Austin. I need it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Dan in the East just solidifies that. Hopefully we can get more Beastcasts with Austin. I need it.

What I really need is Dan retelling all the dumb shit he did (cooking egg shells, getting drugged by his mom etc) to hear Jeff B react to it.

People used to hate on Alex a lot as well, and iirc it got to the point where Jeff told them to fuck off. Patrick had to endure a lot of crap too.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dan's brand of humor, but he doesn't deserve to be shat on in every thread.

I used to not like Alex much, but then I realized why. He's the most like me personality-wise. I've definitely warmed to him since.

I didn't remember the voice acting in this game being this awful, LOL.

I think I read somewhere that they sought actors that looked good instead of having talent or something. At least for the main roles. Crazy stuff. I love the game, but the voice acting is shit. Although I guess that is part of its charm.

Man, people hating on Alex and/or Dan...
0asCbEt.gif

Also I remember really disliking Shenmue when I played it, a few years after release. My girlfriend had never heard of it before watching this endurance run with me and turned to me and said "People liked this game?!"

I played it when it first came out and loved it, so much in fact I remember spending 2 days solid just going to the car park and training his fighting moves.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not okay with people blatantly shitting on either of the GB duders. Go rant on fucking 4chan if you feel the childish need to insult these guys, don't do it on a forum that they are most likely reading themselves right now.

Anyway, i'm insanely happy with this news. I love Alex, I love Vinny and I love Dan and I think they combine to make the perfect rubik's cube of personalities. I also never played Shenmue and I can't wait to have Papa Vinny and his rag-tag gang of sidekicks drag me through it.

Nishastra

Banned
I recently watched Game Informer's Super Replay of Shenmue which is pretty much the exact same thing, and it was cool because the viewers would give them tips after every episode on controls, neat things to try etc.
Unfortunately in this case they pre-recorded the entire thing, so we just have to hope that they eventually figured out how to interact with things :p

Protome

I played it when it first came out and loved it, so much in fact I remember spending 2 days solid just going to the car park and training his fighting moves.

I think it's very much a product of it's time and much harder to appreciate if you didn't play it when it was relevant.

Fantastapotamus

Alex is great. I'm so happy he joined GiantBomb.

I'm glad Vinny moved to NY. Before that Alex kinda was a non-entity on the site despite working there for years.
I do miss his writing though, wish he would do more of that.
I once said Alex could write about the sleeping habits of the north asian desert mole rat and I would find it entertaining and I stand by that.

Unfortunately in this case they pre-recorded the entire thing, so we just have to hope that they eventually figured out how to interact with things :p

I remember people telling them some bs during the P4 ER which lead to them banking on a specific item during a boss fight that they couldn't actually use (but they still won somehow). It was fantastic though.

MNC

No that would be Alex, Vinny is the ying to Dans yang. Watch the GBeast game academy for further proof.

Oh shit! I totally forgot about the academy. But yeah, I mean Dan trolling SF team and Vinny trolling Dan is usually the chain of command.

Trojan

Assorted thoughts:
  • Awesome move with Dan going East. I think he'll be a great fit with Vinny and Alex. Vinny does best when he's got someone else helping unlock the crazy in him, and being crazy AF is pretty much Dan's MO.

• I'm definitely with others who were a little tentative about Alex at first, but now think he's really hit his stride and enjoy what he brings to GB Easy. Alex's sense of humor is really underrated and I think he might be the second funniest guy behind Jeff. He and Vinny (and Austin when he was there) have a great chemistry which Alex plays really well off of now.

• Super curious who they'll bring on at GB West. I think Drew and Jason can bridge that gap for a little but both those guys don't have enough of a presence on the podcast and with content to do that for too long.

• At this point, I pretty much love every member of Giant Bomb except for Jason. Good guy, but TBH I personally find him dull and have little interest in most games he plays. Jason is fine in small doses but I hope they take him out of the podcast rotation because there's not much he really brings to the table.

Fantastapotamus

[*]At this point, I pretty much love every member of Giant Bomb except for Jason. Good guy, but TBH I personally find him dull and have little interest in most games he plays. Jason is fine in small doses but I hope they take him out of the podcast rotation because there's not much he really brings to the table.
[/list]

You are crazy. Jason at least talks during the podcasts. When Dan is gone it'll basically be the Brad&Jeff Show until they find something new.

Kyari

First episode was pretty great! I was skeptical when Dan announced he was going to GBE but I feel like the dynamic works really well with him over there.

Vinny uses his dad skills to keep him reigned in a little.

Flandy

This is their warm-up for Persona 5. I hope they stick to just Jeff and Vinny on that one with Drew producing.

Honestly as much as I'd love to see Jeff and Vinny play through another Persona game I don't think it'd be the same. I'd rather have a new pair play it.
I think Dan + Alex would make an interesting pairing. Dan could make stupid/ignorant comments and Alex would reign him in and educate him. It'd be great

Trojan

You are crazy. Jason at least talks during the podcasts. When Dan is gone it'll basically be the Brad&Jeff Show until they find something new.

Are you comparing him to Drew? Because yes, Drew hardly talks and when he does it's always something from left-field (which is part of his charm for me). Drew has some awesome stories and general crazy shit he's doing each weekend which at least makes the 10 minutes he talks on each Podcast interesting.

Raitaro

Assorted thoughts:
  • Awesome move with Dan going East. I think he'll be a great fit with Vinny and Alex. Vinny does best when he's got someone else helping unlock the crazy in him, and being crazy AF is pretty much Dan's MO.

• I'm definitely with others who were a little tentative about Alex at first, but now think he's really hit his stride and enjoy what he brings to GB Easy. Alex's sense of humor is really underrated and I think he might be the second funniest guy behind Jeff. He and Vinny (and Austin when he was there) have a great chemistry which Alex plays really well off of now.

• Super curious who they'll bring on at GB West. I think Drew and Jason can bridge that gap for a little but both those guys don't have enough of a presence on the podcast and with content to do that for too long.

• At this point, I pretty much love every member of Giant Bomb except for Jason. Good guy, but TBH I personally find him dull and have little interest in most games he plays. Jason is fine in small doses but I hope they take him out of the podcast rotation because there's not much he really brings to the table.

Nice post overall, most of which I fully agree with. That said, I couldn't disagree more with the bolded part.

Jason's inclusion is important to me because of his interests as he finally enabled Jeff to discuss one of his favorite topics in more depth again, i.e. fighting games. The result of this in a more formal capacity is the Ranking the Fighters series, a series I'd rank (no pun intended) quite high amongst their other content that imo let's them work off of each other well as they dig up obscure and less obscure old fighting games.

That interest alone is enough to justify Jason's presence for me. On top of that I find him to be not dull but instead chill, modest and down to earth; heck his voice alone makes me feel more relaxed as well.

To each their own I guess.

Trojan

Nice post overall, most of which I fully agree with. That said, I couldn't disagree more with the bolded part.

Jason's inclusion is important to me because of his interests as he finally enabled Jeff to discuss one of his favorite topics in more depth again, i.e. fighting games. The result of this in a more formal capacity is the Ranking the Fighters series, a series I'd rank (no pun intended) quite high amongst their other content that imo let's them work off of each other well as they dig up obscure and less obscure old fighting games.

That interest alone is enough to justify Jason's presence for me. On top of that I find him to be not dull but instead chill, modest and down to earth; heck his voice alone makes me feel more relaxed as well.

To each their own I guess.

Makes sense, I do agree that him and Jeff have this cool kinship with fighting games and Jason definitely knows his shit. And he definitely is chill, especially makes sense when he mentioned medical marijuana on the last podcast.

It could be a situation like I mentioned with Alex where it might take a little bit to settle, but regardless I just haven't warmed up to him much for those reasons I mentioned.

Jamie OD

Only concern I have is the amount of new ideas GB West will put out without Dan. Say what you want about him but when Dan came up with an idea for a series he got it done. Metal Drew Solid, Demo Disc Derby, Danswers and Mario Party Party all exist thanks to him going "we should do that" on the podcasts.

AuDV9KX.gif

Man, some of the responses in this thread. Jeez. Love all the crew way back in them GS days and the new ones that joined after GB formed.

Great first episode and the perfect game to get into for an Endurance Run now more than ever.

Chuck

Still without luck
Only concern I have is the amount of new ideas GB West will put out without Dan. Say what you want about him but when Dan came up with an idea for a series he got it done. Metal Drew Solid, Demo Disc Derby, Danswers and Mario Party Party all exist thanks to him going "we should do that" on the podcasts.
Yeah he's really been a massive driving for force since he joined 2 years ago. I guess he'll just have new ideas out east and hopefully new person will bring their own stuff.

kiguel182

What I really need is Dan retelling all the dumb shit he did (cooking egg shells, getting drugged by his mom etc) to hear Jeff B react to it.

Bakalar is going to go insane. I will love every second of it.

Yeah he's really been a massive driving for force since he joined 2 years ago. I guess he'll just have new ideas out east and hopefully new person will bring their own stuff.

He was definitely a great creative force for them. I hope they can find the drive to try new stuff without him there. On the other hand him and Vinny together will come up with some amazing stuff. I mean, he was there for one month and we got the return of ER.

Hjod

Banned
As someone that is new to GBs content I finally get the whole Beast, Bombcast situation after reading this thread. Never saw an endurance run before, but will look for them on youtube as I really like their content.

Oh the first episode is out, nice.

200w.gif

Seems like people prefer Beastcast to Bombcast. Am I reading into this right? I only have time throughout the week to listen to one (I listen to Bombcast while running), and I have no problem switching if it is actually consistently better.

strafer

Seems like people prefer Beastcast to Bombcast. Am I reading into this right? I only have time throughout the week to listen to one (I listen to Bombcast while running), and I have no problem switching if it is actually consistently better.

I wouldn't know. Stopped listening to both.

hamchan

Beastcast is more high energy thanks to Vinny and Jeff Bakalar.

Seventy70

Dan absolutely hates Yakuza for some reason (I still think he's crazy, but what what can you do?), so that would kill any GBEAST Yakuza ER.

I've noticed that Dan has an aversion towards anything Japanese that isn't Metal Gear. It's kind of strange... I guess there's not enough "cool dudes" in them. Don't get me wrong, even I tend to avoid any of the overly weird anime stuff, but it still strikes me that he doesn't like many Japanese games. I would think Yakuza would be right up his alley, but oh well.

Anyway, It's great that they're bringing this feature back. It makes me wonder what GB would be like if they were all together. It would be pretty wild. I also hope Vinny starts doing more old pc game playthroughs on the East.

hamchan

I've noticed that Dan has an aversion towards anything Japanese that isn't Metal Gear. It's kind of strange... I guess there's not enough "cool dudes" in them.

Anyway, It's great that they're bringing this feature back. It makes me wonder what GB would be like if they were all together. It would be pretty wild. I also hope Vinny starts doing more old pc game playthroughs on the East.

No, Dan says he loves Shenmue, and that he likes the cool Japanese martial arts, soap opera shit.

And I'm thinking "Yakuza is like this but has like a billion times more crazy shit including wrestling, and soap opera, are you sure you actually played Yakuza, Dan?"

I burned out on the Bombcast a while ago an stopped listening for a few months before tuning in again with the video podcasts. The Beastcast has a good balance of goofy dad / Vinny humor and intelligent discussion. They usually research the topics and actually know what they are talking about when discussing news and read corrections the following week if they get something wrong. But Austin's absence is definitely a bummer and with Dan joining them, I hope he doesn't shift the tone of the podcast too much. I like him, but I prefer informed news discussion over a Taco Bell debate.

I currently alternate between Bombcast and Beastcast depending on the topics they cover. I liked the guests on the Bombcast these last few weeks, I hope the new hire can bring some energy and a different taste in games to the West crew because Brad and Jeff are a little too grumpy and dismissive by themselves and Drew and Jason are not enough to offset that. GB is still my favorite gaming website (outside of GAF of course) but they definitely need a bit of a shake-up.

Oh, and on topic: yay, Shenmue Endurance Run! First episode was great, I look forward to the rest.

Diancecht

I love ever single dude in the crew. Just don't create situations where Dan has to be competitive. He can be obnoxious.

Will M

I'm so happy right now. Every year, GB makes some sort of mixup and it always ends up working out magically.

arToj73.gif

No, Dan says he loves Shenmue, and that he likes the cool Japanese martial arts, soap opera shit.

And I'm thinking "Yakuza is like this but has like a billion times more crazy shit including wrestling, and soap opera, are you sure you actually played Yakuza, Dan?"

Has he given reasons for disliking Yakuza?

Top Bottom