• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

The forklift job at the docks is going to be the stuff of comedy dreams when they finally reach it. Vinny is just gonna try and straight up mow people down. He's gonna break it in the best possible way xD

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Before I watched this I only knew that at some point in the game you are looking for sailors. I know get the feeling that the entire game consists of you running around, asking people where to find somebody else.

Lijik

Before I watched this I only knew that at some point in the game you are looking for sailors. I know get the feeling that the entire game consists of you running around, asking people where to find somebody else.

Thats two thirds of the game, the last third is forklift time. racing forklifts, moving boxes in forklifts. forklifts!

I haven't played Shenmue since circa '00-01, so seeing it again after so long is pretty interesting. I forgot how many clock work elements are included in the game. The number of objects you can interact with in Ryo's house alone is very impressive! Considering Shenmue is almost 17 years old now the visuals hold up very well. The character models look great, as do the environments themselves. The animation is similarly very impressive, with a staggering variety of transitions and unique animations.

It's possibly how they're capturing it, because the game certainly doesn't look like that in emulation or over VGA to an HDTV.

Same thing I noticed as well! I wonder why they didn't use DEMUL instead of an actual Dreamcast?

Spaghetti

Yes their capture is terrible.
Shame. Hope they figure out something for Shenmue II, which they absolutely should do next year.

It's an unfortunate consequence of Shenmue being split in half. Plus, it's a lot easier to enjoy that kind of stuff playing for yourself, it's like playing an Elder Scrolls/Fallout game where you just spend hours and hours doing relatively little because you're immersed in just being in the game world.

The first game's content was meant to be a "Tanker"-like sequence before the main game began in Hong Kong, but SEGA ordered the project split because they wanted it out sooner/to increase overall revenue on the series, so the content can feel a bit stretched out. Disk 2 ramps up the action and mystery though, while Disk 3 takes it to its peak.

Still, that meant Shenmue II was a lot more action-packed, varied, and overall a better representation of where the series was going. Yu Suzuki views it as more representative of what he wanted. Shame that a lot of people haven't really played it.

Same thing I noticed as well! I wonder why they didn't use DEMUL instead of an actual Dreamcast?
DEMUL is finicky, even if it's the most accurate Dreamcast emulator out there. It's really not very efficient with hardware right now. Although, the most recent build has apparently fixed some audio bugs with Shenmue.

GuyKazama

An actual Dreamcast is the way to go... but only if they know what they are doing. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

DEMUL is finicky, even if it's the most accurate Dreamcast emulator out there. It's really not very efficient with hardware right now. Although, the most recent build has apparently fixed some audio bugs with Shenmue.

I tried it out on DEMUL after watching the video and honestly it seems to run fine, though I haven't played through the whole game. It certainly looks much cleaner than the footage they have been streaming.

Same reason they used an actual SNES to capture Chrono Trigger.
It's the spirit of the Endurance Run.

That's fair. The video quality is just terrible though. An emulator would allow them to capture the game much cleaner.

OmegaX06

I really wish the HD texture pack was released. I'd love to play through Shenmue again.

Shenmue-HD-4.jpg

_Ryo_

I really wish the HD texture pack was released. I'd love to play through Shenmue again.

Shenmue-HD-4.jpg
That's not an HD texture pack. That's the Game You Arcade remade in Unreal Engine 4.It has different and more arcade machines than the orginal, as well as a completely different geometry.

There is fighting involved, but yeah I gather it's pretty much One Man Investigation Team, aka the perfect Endurance Run game.

2 episodes in and I am already cackling at these episodes. The fucking creepy children are hilarious.

OmegaX06

That's not an HD texture pack. That's the Game You Arcade remade in Unreal Engine 4.It has different and more arcade machines than the orginal, as well as a completely different geometry.

Hah I guess you are right. I knew that was too good to be true.

_Ryo_

Hah I guess you are right. I knew that was too good to be true.

To be fair,a fan in south korea going by the name NicoKid originally was recreating Shenmue in unreal engine 4, to be released for the fans. He was praised by YsNet and Yu Suzuki and they then officially hired him as part of the Shenmue 3 development team, as I think a modeler and UE4 adviser. It's very likely that if there are any flashbacks of Shenmue 1 in Shenmue 3, he's the one doing the modeling for it.

I mean, how cool is that, instead of DMCAing or C&Ding him, they hire him to work on their sequel. Pretty awesome. Though it most likely means we won't be getting that complete Shenmue 1 remake. Fair tade off, I'd say!

jmood88

The NPCs in this game all sound like robots pretending to be human. It's kinda disturbing. The VA is so bad it's basically comedy.
The voice acting is horrible and the writing is even worse. I mayb be able to understand people liking it at the time but I have no idea how anyone could go back and still enjoy playing. It's the perfect Giant Bomb game, though, especially with Vinny running things.

Spaghetti

I tried it out on DEMUL after watching the video and honestly it seems to run fine, though I haven't played through the whole game. It certainly looks much cleaner than the footage they have been streaming.
It depends on your system, and what kind of specs you're running the game at. I'm not sure how powerful the GBEast system is, but they could get away with it at 1x internal resolution and 32 layers.

On the subject of Kid Nocon, that image above is UE3, not UE4. The only UE4 work he did was this amazing Hazuki Dojo video. Dude really understands the Shenmue aesthetic. He actually did a visit to the real Dobuita Street in Yokosuka a little while after he was hired for Shenmue III, but I don't think it was research for revised OG Shenmue environments.

The voice acting is horrible and the writing is even worse. I mayb be able to understand people liking it at the time but I have no idea how anyone could go back and still enjoy playing. It's the perfect Giant Bomb game, though, especially with Vinny running things.
The translation was notoriously spotty because of having multiple contractors working on it because of the sheer volume of work. The major story points are well translated, but you get some real broken-ass literal Japanese translations sometimes.

Nose Master

So... what is the appeal of this game? It seems to be a showcase for technical prowess and attention to detail, but the gameplay, dialogue and plot are mind-numbingly dull. The first two hours have literally been running around in circles asking random NPCs the exact same question until you hit the flag NPC.

Is the game really just the worst part of every classic JRPG, with nothing else? Fuuuck.

Spaghetti

So... what is the appeal of this game? It seems to be a showcase for technical prowess and attention to detail, but the gameplay, dialogue and plot are mind-numbingly dull. The first two hours have literally been running around in circles asking random NPCs the exact same question until you hit the flag NPC.

Is the game really just the worst part of every classic JRPG, with nothing else? Fuuuck.
There's more to it; chases, fights,
tearing ass on a motorcycle
, forklifts, mysteries, a terrible stealth section, hidden items,
beating up an entire harbour gang
, and one or two inventory puzzles.

They're literally in the first "quest" of the game, but a lot of the game is investigation-based. There rarely is a singular flag NPC though, in fact they missed a point to progress for a whole ten+ minutes because they didn't notice the dialogue prompt continued, and ignored an earlier clue.

The game is pretty good at having multiple branches for finding out the next step, though they didn't really take advantage of branching story paths fully until Shenmue II.

ike_

Wow these are fantastic. They are already up there with the P4 run for me.

This is looking like the OT.

orient

Neo Member

The game is roughly 70% exploration/investigation and 30% other stuff: VF-style fighting, QTEs, forklift driving, light puzzle elements.

The difference between Shenmue and any JRPG is:
A) the town you're in is alive, with characters that do more than just stand in one spot and repeat the same dialogue for 20 hours. The state of the world is constantly updating, including dialogue, and there are multiple ways to discover the information you need at almost every part of the game
B) it is a game about exploration; not JRPG "talk to everyone and move on" exploration, but actually paying attention to your surroundings to discover new places and examine things. No mini maps or quest markers like 90% of video games that exist nowadays.

The small but dense game world is a concept that hardly any games attempt and it either appeals to you or it doesn't. Of course, the voice acting is terrible and comes from an era when simply having voices for every NPC was unheard of, and the controls are extremely antiquated, but these are things you have to expect from a 16 year-old Dreamcast game that was trying something new.

I'm kind of...worried about how they plan on tackling the HD remasters, if they are indeed making them. The graphics hold up extremely well; it looked amazing back then, light-years ahead of anything else, and it still looks good today. The controls will have to be retooled for dual analogue, which sounds simple but in reality, Ryo's animations are designed around digital input - he moves in individual steps so it could be tricky. But my real concerns are with the audio. They desperately need to include an option for Japanese audio which isn't trivial (I know a fan has done it, but it's not perfect and they didn't have a budget/deadline), and the actual game audio is of terrible quality. I really hope they still have the original recordings (and original textures, as it's known that the textures were created in a much higher resolution).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The voice acting is weird because Yu Suzuki required the English voice actors to 1) be in Japan and 2) look like their character. So a lot of the people hired could barely be called actors at all. Corey Marshall, the voice of Ryo, was chosen primarily because he knew martial arts.

This interview with Jeremy Blaustein has some fascinating behind-the-scenes information about the awkwardness of the game's localization.
Did they mocap them or something?

Gigarator

I was hoping they'd actually follow the guy with the pink mohawk when they said they wanna know where he lives. Because if they did, they would have found out. Same for the zoom function, once they properly realise how it works I hope they go back and look around the house properly, I can't imagine their reaction to what's underneath the TV.

faridmon

Fuck whoever hates Alex. You are the worse.

Alex is the most underappreciated dude on GB. His humor is downright self-deprecating and melancholic which very funny in a very Black comedy kind of way.

jaina

His humor is downright self-deprecating and melancholic which very funny in a very Black comedy kind of way.
I meet way too many self-deprecating people on the interwebs, but this was great:
Vinny: I don't like immaculate things. I like broken things.
Alex: That's why you and I work so well together
0741.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I haven't played this game in about 15 years but it looks like it holds up pretty well. It's pretty much exactly like I remember. Wander around for hours hoping someone will say something different lol

bomma_man

As someone that wished majora's mask was just clock town when I was a kid, I think I would've fucking loved this game when I had more time and patience.

Venfayth

Loving this new ER so far, makes me excited for the future of GBeast!

His humor is downright self-deprecating and melancholic which very funny in a very Black comedy kind of way.

I don't hate him but I don't like being around people like this in real life who constantly use this kind of humor. It's just so repetitive. Philosophically speaking it's off-putting to me as well.

Despite this sometimes his humor works on me, but most often it's not my thing.

edit: Actually my biggest beef with Alex is something that isn't his fault: His voice is super grumbly/grainy/deep which in itself is fine, but his manner of speaking when he has longer comments or rants on the beastcast somehow makes him louder or something. It tends to grate my ears. When I'm in the car listening I actually have to turn the volume down when it happens and turn it back up once he's done speaking.

Alex is kind of weirdly controlling in these first two videos. Not too annoying but a little odd. He keeps swinging from telling them to go home before nightfall to rushing them to get back on the plot to telling them not to go home yet because it's not dark enough.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Enjoying this ED a lot. I haven't played Shenmue 1 about a decade, and it's still as familiar and unintentionally funny as ever. Some of that dialog, jeez.

jmood88

Alex is kind of weirdly controlling in these first two videos. Not too annoying but a little odd. He keeps swinging from telling them to go home before nightfall to rushing them to get back on the plot to telling them not to go home yet because it's not dark enough.
He's not controlling, he just seems to be the only person who knows what's going on and Vinny will sometimes just run around in circles and miss stuff.

I have never played Shenmue 1 (only a little bit of 2 on the X-Box) but I'm planning on doing it some day. Is what we've seen so far an accurate representation of the game? You just ask people about Lan Di and they give you clues that lead you to other people and so on... I thought it woud be a little bit more of a pre-GTA 3 type of game and I'm a little underwhelmed so far.

But I do love the actual videos, these three guys are a good team even though I wasn't sure about Dan at first. And the videos are released every day just in time for my lunch break!

Hasney

Fuck, is losing episodes of progress going to be a reoccurring thing?

Well they're all in the can and they did say that the next episode will start from where they left off as it crashed, so it shouldn't hurt it too much. At least from a viewers perspective.

I have never played Shenmue 1 (only a little bit of 2 on the X-Box) but I'm planning on doing it some day. Is what we've seen so far an accurate representation of the game? You just ask people about Lan Di and they give you clues that lead you to other people and so on... I thought it woud be a little bit more of a pre-GTA 3 type of game and I'm a little underwhelmed so far.

But I do love the actual videos, these three guys are a good team even though I wasn't sure about Dan at first. And the videos are released every day just in time for my lunch break!

Somewhat. It's basically a big budget adventure game. Walking around and talking to people is a huge part of the game. There is definitely more to it, but it's not like GTA. I do think most other people will have a smoother time playing the game than the giantbomb guys though.

Somewhat. It's basically a big budget adventure game. Walking around and talking to people is a huge part of the game. There is definitely more to it, but it's not like GTA. I do think most other people will have a smoother time playing the game than the giantbomb guys though.

I see, thanks. I'll still give it a shot if it's ever re-released but I don't see myself buying a Dreamcast for it anymore as I was once planning to do.

Top Bottom