• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

No, Dan says he loves Shenmue, and that he likes the cool Japanese martial arts, soap opera shit.

And I'm thinking "Yakuza is like this but has like a billion times more crazy shit including wrestling, and soap opera, are you sure you actually played Yakuza, Dan?"

Yeah I very rarely understand what is going through Dan's head. Yakuza is like Shenmue except it actually has good gameplay.

Yeah I very rarely understand what is going through Dan's head. Yakuza is like Shenmue except it actually has good gameplay.

Shenmue is centred around the world and interacting with it,more of a slow paced adventure game with fighting included,Yakuza is centred around the fighting and the world frames it, the random encounters didn't help it too.

convo

If the Yakuza Dan played is the one with the profanity filled english dub then it would make a bad first impression.
Fellow gaffer made a fantastic break down of Yakuza 0 that shows the of the best combat system in the series:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZD2eufsDII
It looks kickass and a big step up from the previous games. I do hope more people actually try and look what the series is like.

Natiko

Banned
Seems like people prefer Beastcast to Bombcast. Am I reading into this right? I only have time throughout the week to listen to one (I listen to Bombcast while running), and I have no problem switching if it is actually consistently better.
I definitely think the Beastcast is more consistent as of late. It's typically shorter as well so you could always listen to it first and if time permits that week check out the Bombcast some still.

Kusagari

I've noticed that Dan has an aversion towards anything Japanese that isn't Metal Gear. It's kind of strange... I guess there's not enough "cool dudes" in them. Don't get me wrong, even I tend to avoid any of the overly weird anime stuff, but it still strikes me that he doesn't like many Japanese games. I would think Yakuza would be right up his alley, but oh well.

Anyway, It's great that they're bringing this feature back. It makes me wonder what GB would be like if they were all together. It would be pretty wild. I also hope Vinny starts doing more old pc game playthroughs on the East.

Ehh, Dan loves almost all Nintendo stuff. He even got into Fire Emblem for a time. On a whole he's probably more likely to like Japanese games than Jeff or Brad.

Ehh, Dan loves almost all Nintendo stuff. He even got into Fire Emblem for a time. On a whole he's probably more likely to like Japanese games than Jeff or Brad.

Well, that's not saying much. And he was still pretty down on the anime aspects of Fire Emblem, he liked the gameplay not so much the story or style if I recall correctly.

I think Dan does have a tendency to dismiss non-Nintendo Japanese stuff but when someone actually sits him down in front of such a game, he usually ends up liking them or at least he's open-minded about them. I think his realization that MGS was anime all along has helped a lot!

Dipper145

Remember that time when Austin left and beastcast turn into cringe shit show then Austin came back for 1 ep and it's best and then he left and went right back to cringe fest? Yeah.....

I found it the other way,when Austin came it kind of ruined the atmosphere and character of the show and became far too self serious.

Dan will only make it more ridiculous over there. Hopefully he can keep the wrestling to a minimum. Excited that GB proper won't have dan and will thus have less wrestling based content as well.

Not sure how I feel about Shenmue cause I've never played it, but Vinny is awesome and makes everything awesome regardless of who he's with. The added fact that he can completely bs to dans face and have dan believe him makes their interactions even better. And alex plays along with it really well.

He played the ones with the american voice acting i think. I doubt he's seen anything past that.

So, the way most americans play the game?

Hasney

Heh, I just finished watching the Gametrailers/Huber Shenmue playthrough again. I'll have to wait on this for a bit.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
something...something...Easy Allies.

That should kill the thread.

I'm excited for the Shenmue antics, as it's called endurance run does this mean it will be posted daily?

In fairness that specific bait is right on the front page and no one bit this time.

Daily posting was stated on the panel and in the first video. Not sure if weekends count.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I love Shenmue but I can't imagine this makes for a good endurance run game. There's so much waiting around. Experienced players can optimize time and do a good run of things to show you everything but these two just fumbling around is going to have so much dead air.

FluxWaveZ

I love Shenmue but I can't imagine this makes for a good endurance run game. There's so much waiting around. Experienced players can optimize time and do a good run of things to show you everything but these two just fumbling around is going to have so much dead air.

I mean, the original Endurance Run is the best video content Giant Bomb has ever produced and that was filled with grinding and fusing episodes. I don't know how Shenmue would compare with that downtime, though.

I think the poorest idea was Chrono Trigger for other reasons. Couldn't come close to finishing that one.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Vinny has a magical way of breaking things. He made that whole Warthog takeoff entertaining. I could be entertained with him playing anything, I think. That said, I've never played Shenmue and this will be my first experience with it.

These guys are funny and entertaining if you sit them down for two hours with no game, so I don't think it matters what they're playing.

strafer

Vinny is what makes it entertaining. If he wasn't in it I wouldn't watch it.

It will be amusing if they end up stumbling around so much that they get the bad ending where you take so long that Lan Di comes back and finishes the job. Normally that wouldn't be a concern, but here I think it's a viable possibility.

Anyway, the appeal of these Giant Bomb runs is the personalities and jokes. No one expects these guys to know what they're doing.

Parsnip

Going from Austin to Dan is one hell of a change for the NY office.
Can't say I'm too happy about it.
But good for him if really hates SF so much.

Nerokis

Man, I find the hate directed at Alex so misguided. He's one of the crew members most capable of thoughtful critique, is consistently funny, and not far beneath his occasionally barbed exterior, there's a total marshmallow of a man. The crew's overall dynamic very much benefits from having him around. The most underrated personality, for sure.

Anyway, I've never seen an Endurance Run (except for 1-3 episodes of the Chrono Trigger one?), and now that I'm thinking about watching this Shenmue thing on a daily basis for awhile, I can immediately recognize their power. And yeah, I go to Giant Bomb, and the first episode of the Shenmue ER has 664 comments. Goddamn.

dan2026

I remember when people on this forum were literally stopping short of calling for Patrick's death.
That he was the worst thing ever to happen to GiantBomb, invading their secret club or something.

It was madness.

jmood88

The voice acting in Shenmur sounds as bad as that text to speech game with the name I can't remember.

I remember when people on this forum were literally stopping short of calling for Patrick's death.
That he was the worst thing ever to happen to GiantBomb, invading their secret club or something.

It was madness.
People talked all kinds of shit about Ryan, too. There were a lot of complaints about him not finishing one of the Assassin's Creed reviews, how they weren't sure what his role was on the staff, and how he only had a job because of Jeff.

joms5

Wow I want to watch this so badly but i've never played Shenmue and i'm still hoping we'll get an HD collection of the 2 before 3 comes out. I'll hold off for the time being.

Vinny is playing too!!! ARRRG.

Nishastra

Banned
And seriously - this is an organization creating content for us to consume to sell advertising on top of, so criticism should be fair game. I feel a bit more justified in doing so since I pay for a subscription.
Yeah, no. I don't think anything justifies this kind of talk.

Lunar15

I don't think I've ever heard people hate on Alex before. I find him to be one of the more relatable members of the team. People say he's too cynical, but I often find him gushing about the things he loves more than he complains about bad things.

I don't think I've ever heard people hate on Alex before. I find him to be one of the more relatable members of the team. People say he's too cynical, but I often find him gushing about the things he loves more than he complains about bad things.

Alex is the funniest and the most intelligent of all of them.

Nishastra

Banned
There was tons of hate any time he appeared on something back when he was out west. And to be fair, he was rather awkward back then.

He's gotten soooooo much better, though.

komplanen

God fucking damn it I still can't believe I'm going to have to buy back into GB Premium not even one week after I quit. Shit whyyyy :-3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not surprised that various people hate on the different GB members

What does surprise me is how exclusively it seems to be Alex (and to a lesser extent Dan)

wtf

Alex is awesome

some of y'all are crazy

Can you say extra life party party?

Everyone was so happy when they finished all the mainline Halo games in Extra Life last year

Little did they know what awaited them

edit: speaking of extra life it's time for my annual "Hey I hope Alexis shows up for this years Extra Life" post

Alex took a while to gel for me, but once I heard about him touring with his band in his teens, it all came together. I'm starting to come around on Bakalar too. The only GB related guy that just rubs me entirely the wrong way is Rorie. All the rest seem great.

I like Giant Bomb a lot, because I feel the content is aimed at an older audience. But some people take this site way too serious. If you get that irrationally upset by people on a video game site, it's time to reevaluate your life...

Top Bottom