• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man .. fucking crash ..

Vinny's Tom impression was the highlight of the episode.

Anjin M

I was enjoying the episode so much that I forgot that I knew about the crash ahead of time. I'm bummed out even though I knew it was coming!

I had no idea Shenmue has such terrible voice acting and is so racist lol
Is the second game like the first one in that regard?

sbkodama

Are they that bad on purpose ? or are they always that bad at video game ?
I had no idea Shenmue has such terrible voice acting and is so racist lol
Is the second game like the first one in that regard?
You will probably see more racism in it because it takes place in China.

We must be watching a different video then, because to me it seems like they're enjoying it.

And lol at the "it's racist!" comments. Good voice acting in games wasn't really a thing in 1999.

Most of it is them taking the piss of the voice acting and the terrible gameplay.

Having never been exposed to these games before, it's baffling to me that people are clamouring for another one.

Surely Yakuza has filled the void of "Eccentric Japanese Roleplay Simulator".

so1337

Having never been exposed to these games before, it's baffling to me that people are clamouring for another one.

They're not really the same though. I also don't think there's anything particularly eccentric about Shenmue. There's something rather beautifully mundane about it.
Most of it is them taking the piss of the voice acting and the terrible gameplay.
[citation needed]

They're not really the same though. I also don't think there's anything particularly eccentric about Shenmue. There's something rather beautifully mundane about it.

The voice acting, placing and plot make it seem like a fever dream. The setting might be mundane but the game feels bonkers.

so1337

The voice acting, placing and plot make it seem like a fever dream. The setting might be mundane but the game feels bonkers.
If you look at the Japanese version, the voice acting being uh, unconventional, is definitely unintentional at least.

That being said, nothing about the game struck me as "bonkers" when I played it back in 2000.

dlauv

Shenmue is great.

It has such an attention to detail for a game that's otherwise a trainwreck. The detective gameplay is fun, but the fighting and forklifting are serious lows -- disc 3, really. The VA and writing are hilarious. I hope they stay that way. I'm glad the English VA is reprising his role. That gives me hope that it might.

Shenmue's world is so immersive and interactive and silly that it's hard to dislike.

_Ryo_

These players are actually terrible at this game, and they've missed TONS of things in the house, some of them very,very important. I mean,they didn't check in their dresser,or in or on their night stand, or in their father's room, or the kitchen, or in the shrine or in tv stand, or in the dojo. they didnt even figure out that the game had a lock on feature until episode 2. Just walking into a room and going " welp, guess nothing is in here" is a terrible way to play this game. It's all about eloquent QTEs, real life immersive atmosphere, exploration, discovery, investigation and kick ass fights. Shenmue is not and never was supposed to be a GTA style game.

Also there's so many things that they ask if they can do, which they absolutely can, but assume they can't before even really trying. Even little things like turning off the light. Lol at them thinking that opening a closnet was the subject of praise of the games level of interactivity.

Then if that isnt enough, they failed the first QTE. Didnt even ask to think they could feed the kitten, I mean there is milk and fish at the store... Hmm wonder what its for? bought a flash light but no batteries, and generally missed a lot of purchasable items.

And as someone who is recently getting into Yakuza, I prefer Shenmue. Which I understand that not every is gonna like it, some will hate it with a passion, like Jeff, but that's okay. It's not for everyone. I just think they should actually learn to actually play it correctly before saying there's nothing to do.

Par Score

It's a shame that so many people's first exposure to Shenmue is going to be the GB duders sucking at it, and that the incredible Gametrailers run through is lost to the ether.

kiguel182

"They didn't ask themselves if they could feed the kitten, what terrible players!".

They are playing the game like normal people, relax.

It's a shame that so many people's first exposure to Shenmue is going to be the GB duders sucking at it, and that the incredible Gametrailers run through is lost to the ether.

Lot's of people (myself included) are not watching this for the game itself in the first place, we are watching it because of the dudes playing said game and their shenanigans. So if they are terrible at it and do not represent what fans of the game love about the game, that maybe a valid point, it's not really important to me though..

So far, all of Shenmue's genuine "bonkers-ness" (outside of localisation woes) comes from its sheer mundanity. Obviously there's lots of martial arts and high drama to come, but so far the most exciting thing that's happened is Ryo using a capsule machine.

I don't think I've ever seen a game before that is so... normal. Besides maybe one of the less anime Harvest Moon games.

so1337

Lot's of people (myself included) are not watching this for the game itself in the first place, we are watching it because of the dudes playing said game and their shenanigans. So if they are terrible at it and do not represent what fans of the game love about the game, that maybe a valid point, it's not really important to me though..
It's not really important to me either, and I LOVE this game.

Hasney

"They didn't ask themselves if they could feed the kitten, what terrible players!".

Not really if you were playing when it was released, even my non-gaming brother worked it out back in the day (oddly I think Shenmue is the only COD/GTA game he finished). It's why the game has you feed it, to let you know it's possible.

The main differences are that it's 2016 and a game like this has to explicity explain all of that in game since it's how we've been conditioned and that because there's 3 of them talking, you miss little hints like that anyway.

No biggie to me though, the GT playthrough I posted above is fantastic for a "good" playthrough. This one is entertaining as fuck.

derFeef

How can you play this game "terribly" ? Serious question. Seems like there is not much skill involved.

derFeef

If enough days pass, you can totally fail the game and have to start again.

Well okay... but other than that? I can understand why some hold this game in such high regard though. It seems very ambitious and sometimes it surprises me what it does.

Par Score

Hey, guys, chill out. If you honestly think this ER is the best representation of Shenmue then more power to you.

I loved the Persona and Deadly Premonition ERs, but this one isn't doing it for me.

OH SHIT.

Well, I know what I'm watching again.

How can you play this game "terribly" ? Serious question. Seems like there is not much skill involved.

Shenmue is a game that requires you to pay a base level of attention. To your surroundings, to the characters, to the controls. It's a game of detail, ridiculous, unnecessary detail.

I'm not asking for some perfect speedrun, Shenmue is best absorbed leisurely. But the sort of low-level lack of attention being given to the game is going to rob it of any charm.

_Ryo_

My comment about the kitten isn't really about the kitten, it is about understanding how the integral game play mechanics work. Like asking yourself "If I can do this, what OTHER stuff can I do that might actually be important?"

Anyway, I am immensely enjoying their playthrough of the game. The fact that they're so terrible at it adds to the enjoyment for me, in the same way that the games terrible voice acting adds to its charm. I find the episodes quite hilarious, actually. I enjoy their snarky and dark humor even when I disagree with their opinions. :)

Hasney

Well okay... but other than that? I can understand why some hold this game in such high regard though. It seems very ambitious and sometimes it surprises me what it does.

There is actually a knack to the fighting once they get into it since it's basically a Virtua Fighter style system. Failing to explore can make that harder by missing moves scrolls and you can die. There's a stealth section too.

Other than that, not really. You do need some money as well for some of the main story, so you best forklift good!

Tuffty

I hope this happens to them, I'd love to see their reactions to that!

I think the cut off date is months away in game time and seeing as they're sticking to the main quest line the chances of them reaching it are very unlikely. Unless they spend all their time playing Outrun or Space Harrier.

SMG

You have never played it then.

There is lots of combat in the game, and they haven't taken advantage of sleep training, and looks like they won't solo train again either. By the 70 man fight Vinny is going to get drilled.

Also knowing the city is a big part of the game, this will come with time. Hopefully when they are looking for the tattoo parlor they have a better sense of the place.

I think the cut off date is months away in game time and seeing as they're sticking to the main quest line the chances of them reaching it are very unlikely. Unless they spend all their time playing Outrun or Space Harrier.

Only way I ever got the bad ending is by purposefully failing the Warehouse stealth section.

derFeef

You have never played it then.

There is lots of combat in the game, and they haven't taken advantage of sleep training, and looks like they won't solo train again either. By the 70 man fight Vinny is going to get drilled.

Also knowing the city is a big part of the game, this will come with time. Hopefully when they are looking for the tattoo parlor they have a better sense of the place.

I haven't, no, it was just an observation of what they have played so far. Really curious to see all of this. (Which is probably not everything the game has to offer).

SMG

I haven't, no, it was just an observation of what they have played so far. Really curious to see all of this. (Which is probably not everything the game has to offer).

Shenmue is my favorite game, but I had to play it a few times before that really happened.
Right now they are running in circles, when they know the city and its people better they'll hopefully understand the game more.

sbkodama

If by this you mean that normal people don't even know how read a map or push a button to see the controls I guess you are right, thank to the heavy hand holding that began last gen.

Top Bottom