• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Oh my god they ran past the alley for Heartbeats bar at least 20 times, it is hard to find if you don't know though.

I can totally see them not finding it tomorrow either.

orient

Neo Member
Heartbeats is difficult to find -- got me the first time too, but that doesn't stop me from shouting "LEFT!" at the screen.

Jintor

Dan has an uncanny ability to ask a really obvious insane crazy question where you're like "How can a human being not know this", but then follow it up with a question you can't quite answer, thus making you question your own self-worth

kiguel182

If by this you mean that normal people don't even know how read a map or push a button to see the controls I guess you are right, thank to the heavy hand holding that began last gen.

Yeah man, video games totally suck these days. They are all a bunch of casuals am I right?

jmood88

Why do they think Ine-San is Ryo's mother?
Because Ryo is a minor and there's an older woman staying at his house who is worried about him coming home all the time. I'm not sure why it's crazy for some of you that people would assume that it's his mother.

Curufinwe

Because Ryo is a minor and there's an older woman staying at his house who is worried about him coming home all the time. I'm not sure why it's crazy for some of you that people would assume that it's his mother.

Because he doesn't call her mom or mother.

Because he doesn't call her mom or mother.

I thought this was maybe because of the differences in culture. Maybe the chinese don't say "mom &dad" the way we do? They also look like they could be related, the same chinese features?
I feel the need to put an /s here! I was not serious!!!

orient

Neo Member
I thought this was maybe because of the differences in culture. Maybe the chinese don't say "mom &dad" the way we do? They also look like they could be related, the same chinese features?
I feel the need to put an /s here! I was not serious!!!

The game's set in Japan...hence Ryo asking for info on Chinese people. If he was Chinese he wouldn't have to do that.

Hasney

The game's set in Japan...hence Ryo asking for info on Chinese people. If he was Chinese he wouldn't have to do that.

That would be a whole different game.

"I'm looking for some Chinese..."

"Ryo, have you tried a mirror? If not, have you tried everyone on the street?"

Does seem a strange design decision to have the player sent to two locations, neither of which are actually on the numerous maps around the place. Unless they were and the group just missed them?

Even ignoring the voice acting and the often awkward translation, looking just at the way the investigation is unfolding, the leads he is following, it's all very bizarre.

Hasney

Does seem a strange design decision to have the player sent to two locations, neither of which are actually on the numerous maps around the place. Unless they were and the group just missed them?

They're not on the map. I think it is good as it makes you explore the city more, but they put Heartbeats too hidden. Location:
You see there's a little alley opposite the motorbikes and those two biker dudes? Down there

Jintor

also asian languages almost exclusively call family by their titles/relationship to you. I didn't know my grandparent's actual names until I was like 10

Even ignoring the voice acting and the often awkward translation, looking just at the way the investigation is unfolding, the leads he is following, it's all very bizarre.

Shenmue follows the classic Japanese adventure game "wander around until you stumble on the next story trigger" school of design. At least it gives you some direction, usually, but as we can see following up on that direction is not always made obvious.

It still amazes me on how almost nothing happens during the entire game. Shenmue probably has the most barebones plot of any ostensibly story-focused game I've seen.

orient

Neo Member

I think we've been trained by modern games to follow maps instead of actually exploring. It's something they definitely should not change for Shenmue 3.

orient

Neo Member
Not knowing where you're supposed to go is part of the charm!

I know you're trying to be funny, but it kind of is. Getting to know an area, becoming familiar with your surroundings...it's a real world skill that is fun to apply to games. Obviously it requires a base level of patience but you need to know going into Shenmue (especially Shenmue 1) that it isn't a fast-paced game.

jmood88

I know you're trying to be funny, but it kind of is. Getting to know an area, becoming familiar with your surroundings...it's a real world skill that is fun to apply to games. Obviously it requires a base level of patience but you need to know going into Shenmue (especially Shenmue 1) that it isn't a fast-paced game.
It has nothing to do with wanting a fast-paced game and everything to do with not cheering for decisions that aren't user-friendly. There's absolutely no reason for a game to include maps of an area but not include buildings on one of the main streets in the city. Giving clear information on where to go doesn't dissuade people from exploring and if they want to encourage exploration, forcing people to run around blind is a really bad way to achieve that goal. I'm not even blaming the developer since this was still a novel thing when it was made but you don't have to defend arbitrary obfuscation in 2016 just because you liked the game. There are much better ways to promote exploration than hiding important locations just because.

Curufinwe

Never having played Shenmue, so far the game reminds me of those bits in Persona 4 where you have to walk around town asking every NPC where such and such is, and then it turns out they only show up at a certain location on certain days of the week.

Never having played Shenmue, so far the game reminds me of those bits in Persona 4 where you have to walk around town asking every NPC where such and such is, and then it turns out they only show up at a certain location on certain days of the week.

What's really going to suck that is there's going to be a lot of just standing around and waiting in tomorrow's video.

I have only been exposed to shenmue through lets plays (GB and Runbutton), but I'm having a hard understanding how anyone who is seeing this game for the first time in 2016 doesn't find the game fucking hilarious . The voice acting is AMAZING, and I can't take anything seriously in this game because of it.

Surta

I thought this was maybe because of the differences in culture. Maybe the chinese don't say "mom &dad" the way we do?
Ryo clearly calls his dad "father" several times in the opening cutscene. It's therefore reasonable to assume that if Ine-san were his mom, he'd call her mother. But he never does.
Since these guys are apparently more focused on trying to be witty and entertaining rather than giving the game their full attention, it's no surprise that they would miss details like that. A common problem with LPs.

jmood88

I have only been exposed to shenmue through lets plays (GB and Runbutton), but I'm having a hard understanding how anyone who is seeing this game for the first time in 2016 doesn't find the game fucking hilarious . The voice acting is AMAZING, and I can't take anything seriously in this game because of it.
It's definitely hilarious. What I don't get is how anyone could take it as seriously as Shenmue superfans do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can't wait to see their reactions when they find out Mom isn't actually Mom.

Kiske

It has nothing to do with wanting a fast-paced game and everything to do with not cheering for decisions that aren't user-friendly. There's absolutely no reason for a game to include maps of an area but not include buildings on one of the main streets in the city. Giving clear information on where to go doesn't dissuade people from exploring and if they want to encourage exploration, forcing people to run around blind is a really bad way to achieve that goal. I'm not even blaming the developer since this was still a novel thing when it was made but you don't have to defend arbitrary obfuscation just because you liked the game.

What if MJQ and Heartbeat bars opened after the Town Hall installed the area maps? ^_^

(and to be fair, the buildings are there, it's just the names are missing.)
Q5XzKYZ.jpg

orient

Neo Member
It has nothing to do with wanting a fast-paced game and everything to do with not cheering for decisions that aren't user-friendly. There's absolutely no reason for a game to include maps of an area but not include buildings on one of the main streets in the city. Giving clear information on where to go doesn't dissuade people from exploring and if they want to encourage exploration, forcing people to run around blind is a really bad way to achieve that goal. I'm not even blaming the developer since this was still a novel thing when it was made but you don't have to defend arbitrary obfuscation in 2016 just because you liked the game. There are much better ways to promote exploration than hiding important locations just because.

I'm not saying it's perfect, and I'm really not defending it, either -- people either like it or they don't, I don't care. All I'm saying is modern games rely on quest markers and mini maps, sometimes even literal arrows on the floor, to make sure you never get lost. That isn't exploration to me, it's a necessary evil for games that would be painful without them. Shenmue is small enough that finding places really isn't all that hard most of the time, and so I like the fact that you can actually look around and examine locations instead of following a line on a rotating map. That's all I'm saying.

Surta

That's your problem right there. Games are meant to be played, not watched like movies. And optimally, they're supposed to be played close to their original release date. Because everything is subject to aging. Just wait another 15 years, and kids of the time will laugh about the crummy games that you took seriously back in your day.

Top Bottom