• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Parham

Banned
The same trio managed to make a Madden Quick Look entertaining, so I'm very much looking forward to diving into this ER.

I think my biggest hangup with this is that the lack of a sense of direction and Dan commandeering it for his own question time podcast are byproducts of the fact that they don't really know how to spend time in this game.

Which, like, Shenmue has a lot of waiting around, I'm certainly not a huge Shenmue fan who sees this weird ass janky game as a sacred cow... but it's clearly a game about getting into a certain rhythm, having a certain daily routine of talking to certain people or going to certain places, and looking around and exploring for stuff and seeing if anything's changing. Instead they basically abandon stuff like the old lady or the kitten or the dojo or the convenience stores (they actually haven't even realized yet that you can enter the first one in Sakuragaoka) or training as soon as they find it because they act like that option is now permanently exhausted and they need to just beeline it to the next objective or walk around in circles for 20 minutes asking every NPC about sailors even after they already got the answer. Which is a way to play the game (and there's certainly times like the forklift period of the game where there really is jack shit to do), but imagine something like Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition (which both clearly took inspiration from Shenmue) played like that.

orient

Neo Member
Holy shit! Orient? I remember you (I think) from the Shenmue forums on ign like ten plus years ago! I dont even remember what my ign handle was. Good to see you are still around. You must have died when S3 was announced.

Hey! Oh I teared up. And put too much money into that Kickstarter :p

Alex is trying really hard to keep them on track -- my guess is because he doesn't want this ER to take 30+ episodes to complete. The other guys don't seem to care, but I think now they'll be more direct after struggling to find Heartbeats.

I was excited when they went into the slot house. I felt dreadful when they went to the machine and talked to the man instead. I thought they would think the slots weren't playable. When they found out the slots were playable they left..... They got the idea that maybe there are other things to do besides the arcade, but didn't act upon it. I'm not sure why they never went back to slots or at least check out the mahjong place. They also see these different doors with times, but don't try to enter them. For some reason they keep trying to enter shuttered places.

It is a bit sad that this is probably some folks first exposure to Shenmue. I could understand them exploring, interacting with the environment, finding it boring/pointless, and then stop, but they are not doing that. I wonder why they think the game is this limited? I mean they knew people thought this was the greatest game. Don't they think the limits they are thinking of are off?

Sometimes I think it would have been better if they just played Shenmue 2 even though I don't think that would have been that much of a big improvement in playing, but at least they would know where to go and that there are time skips.

I hope if they ever play Shenmue 2 they read some of these comments before playing.

ArjanN

I think my biggest hangup with this is that the lack of a sense of direction and Dan commandeering it for his own question time podcast are byproducts of the fact that they don't really know how to spend time in this game.

Which, like, Shenmue has a lot of waiting around, I'm certainly not a huge Shenmue fan who sees this weird ass janky game as a sacred cow... but it's clearly a game about getting into a certain rhythm, having a certain daily routine of talking to certain people or going to certain places, and looking around and exploring for stuff and seeing if anything's changing. Instead they basically abandon stuff like the old lady or the kitten or the dojo or the convenience stores (they actually haven't even realized yet that you can enter the first one in Sakuragaoka) or training as soon as they find it because they act like that option is now permanently exhausted and they need to just beeline it to the next objective or walk around in circles for 20 minutes asking every NPC about sailors even after they already got the answer. Which is a way to play the game (and there's certainly times like the forklift period of the game where there really is jack shit to do), but imagine something like Persona 4 or Deadly Premonition (which both clearly took inspiration from Shenmue) played like that.

Heh, I have to agree with this. Kind of feels like they're trying to force the game to do what they want instead of rolling with it.

theRizzle

I don't think the game has aged as poorly as a lot of people here are making out, and I think a lot of the people saying it looks like a bad game have never played it. But what is clear is how much video games have changed in regards to their expectations of the player. There are no waypoints, no reminders about activites or engagements you may miss, no real "Quest List" besides the journal that only gives the barest of details.

I loved this game when it came out, and even bought a PAL Dreamcast just so I could play Shenmue 2 on the system it was meant to be played on. I am not saying the game holds up, because clearly parts of it don't. (The controls... my god) But it's not and was never a shitty game.

Spaghetti

This is a fair assessment. Shenmue revels in fucking around outside of the main objectives and gives you plenty of leisure time, so hopefully they embrace that a little more in future episodes, but who knows.

I'm just waiting for Vinny to blow all their money on capsule toys, because collectables are his fuckin' jam.

I've always wanted to play Shenmue to see for myself why this game is so divisive and when i saw that the GB crew were going to do an ER i finally decided to play it.

Holy crap, there's a whole lot of searching for people and waiting for shit to happen in this game, i still want to finish it because to me it's really interesting how ambitious this game was for its time and because i have heard that the sequel is much better. At least the writing and the robotic VO is HILARIOUS.

PS: I also couldn't find the bar and had to look it up.
PPPS: This ER is absolutely fantastic.
You'll probably get along more with the sequel. I feel a lot of people probably will too because of the inclusion of the timeskip feature that fast forwards things if you get to a plot point you need to wait around for. There's generally more places to go and things to do in Shenmue II than the original anyway, so you're better served regardless of your approach. It's still worth finishing the first game though, just find a preferred leisure activity to fill up the free time.

Personally, I really got into the two darts mini-games in the original Shenmue, which paid off in dividends in the sequel when you have a sub-quest where you play rivals at the game for money (and in one case, information).

hamchan

Honestly though, their random conversation acts like a mini Beastcast and is more entertaining than a lot of the time wasting side tasks in the game.

It's why Persona 4 grinding episodes were good too, because these guys are so used to talking every week they can make wandering around lost for 40 minutes into something good.

Of course if you wanted to see Shenmue and everything it offered then this is probably falling short for you. The same thing happened with the Deadly Premonition ER and that was still fun. But on the other hand I don't think they're misrepresenting the experience of the game. I think a lot of people would have a similar playthrough, I know I did when I played it years ago.

Anyways, this will make them appreciate the great improvements in Shenmue 2 when they get around to playing that.

Jintor

Of course if you wanted to see Shenmue and everything it offered then this is probably falling short for you. The same thing happened with the Deadly Premonition ER and that was still fun. But on the other hand I don't think they're misrepresenting the experience of the game. I think a lot of people would have a similar playthrough, I know I did when I played it years ago.

This is basically how I feel I think.

I hope a lot of people do not have a similar playthrough! This is the 1st playthough I have watched that I have a problem with. Their commentary is great though. I have not watched one playthrough where one has not figured out early on that they can interact with different items by zooming in and are able to go inside various different locations. It's another thing if they knew and are choosing not to, but it doesn't seem so to me.

If many do have this problem then if Shenmue HD is released maybe it should let players know they can do this. Maybe another What's Shenmue type of thing?

derFeef

I don't know the game but even I have the feeling they must miss something, or talk to NPC's a bit too much when they already know what to do next. The last two hours were just running around basically, which was a bit frustrating and Dan's constant babbling and asking weird questions is testing my patience. Glad Alex has the same feeling and puts him into place sometimes.

Having said that, I think I would have loved that game. It has some qualities I enjoy in games and a lot of games are missing those nowadays.

Tuffty

Oh god that whole conversation with Vinny guessing the name. I was somewhere between Dan's disbelief and Alex's dismay. Not the most eventful episode but that conversation alone saved it.

Santar

I'm really enjoying this series, but I do feel bad for the guys that they've not yet discovered that you can open up basically every drawer and closet in Ryo's house and pick up and look at almost every object.
If they were aware of that and engaged a bit more in the little stuff you can do instead of just purely focusing on rushing trough it I'm sure they'd have a much better time.

I love how Vinnie has slowly descended into madness as he learns what we already knew- Shenmue is fucking balls. And it's not that it aged poorly either. It seemed awful back in 2000 too.

God I hope they do Shenmue 2 so we can see Vinnie completely lose it

Zaph

Looking forward to reaching the point where GBE was spending over 7 hours a day playing Shenmue.

I'm sure that did wonders for their mental faculties.

ajim

I love how Vinnie has slowly descended into madness as he learns what we already knew- Shenmue is fucking balls. And it's not that it aged poorly either. It seemed awful back in 2000 too.

God I hope they do Shenmue 2 so we can see Vinnie completely lose it
Shenmue 2 is actually a lot easier to digest than shenmue 1. It even suits playthroughs like this better as it is more action oriented.

I'm a huge shenmue fan but shenmue 2 is a lot better than 1.

Episode 6 is probably in my top 5 favourite videos GB has made this year.

I think it'll also be the episode that finally causes anyone who really loves shenmue to quit watching the series.

Vinny is the true master of fucking with people and I'm in love with everything going on in this ER.

hamchan

It really is a great episode. So much amazing banter between GBeast. Big Shenmue fans may quit watching but Giant Bomb fans will stick around for the guys being hilarious.

I hope for many more Vinny meltdowns. The "endurance" part is actually happening with this series.

The "you're not playing it right" crowd are the worst.

Not just in the Shenmue Emdurance Run. Persona, Chrono Trigger, VinnyVania, Metal Gear Scanlon. The "you're not playing it right" people were the worst during all of those.

This entire playthrough so far has mirrored my first experience with Shenmue when I rented it.

Never got to the first fight in ep. 6 before giving up.

Tuffty

Shenmue 2 does have the Big Boss vaping time skipping action that Dan was talking about so there's that at least. I wish they would take time to go into different places and explore a little more but I can see how this game doesn't lend itself well to an endurance run. Plus, I think their frustration, Alex's in particular, is that they seem to think the guy with the sunglasses in the arcade is Charlie and that you couldn't talk to him before 7pm because of some archaic game design.

Wonder what Vinny would say if someone told him Sleeping Dogs was inspired by Shenmue? haha

Phediuk

Their experience with Shenmue is about the same as the one I had 15 years ago.

Game bored the shit out of me then and now.

The "you're not playing it right" crowd are the worst.
Nah, you are.

I think it's perfectly fine for people to be annoyed that they are not at least trying to comprehend the different systems in the game. They will have to to progress, in the end, but they keep suggesting stuff then deciding its not possible because they didn't try the buttons ok the controller, or even just walking up to locations with signs out front to enter them.

Still enjoyable to watch, though, for the crew.

Nah, you are.

I think it's perfectly fine for people to be annoyed that they are not at least trying to comprehend the different systems in the game. They will have to to progress, in the end, but they keep suggesting stuff then deciding its not possible because they didn't try the buttons ok the controller, or even just walking up to locations with signs out front to enter them.

Telling other people how to play games is a lame, annoying thing to do. If you want it to go your way, go play the game yourself instead of watching someone else.

And did you really just say "nah, you are" as a comeback, like we're five years old?

Telling other people how to play games is a lame, annoying thing to do. If you want it to go your way, go play the game yourself instead of watching someone else.
No one can tell them, since they record it at length daily. You're inserting an imaginary event that isn't taking place and then rolling your eyes at it.

That doesn't mean people can't discuss it here on this discussion forum.

I only said "you are" because you generally seem to be a complete douche to everyone on this forum who doesn't share your view 100%

Par Score

Well, it's nice of this ER to gather all the Shenmue haters in one place I guess, but yep, time for me to check out.

It sucks that this is the most content GB have put out in months, and I can't enjoy it :D

That episode was hilarious.
I do sympathise with fans of the game being frustrated at nothing being accomplished. Even I, having never played it, want to shout at my scream every time they bypass the store. Buy something, dammit!
But Vinny's frustration at having to wait until 7pm was glorious and makes it all worth it.

No one can tell them, since they record it at length daily. You're inserting an imaginary event that isn't taking place and then rolling your eyes at it.

That doesn't mean people can't discuss it here on this discussion forum.

I only said "you are" because you generally seem to be a complete douche to everyone on this forum who doesn't share your view 100%
You have missed so many points at once that I literally don't have time to get into this.

Tuffty

And did you really just say "nah, you are" as a comeback, like we're five years old?

It isn't Dark Souls though, people who are making suggestions on what else to do are just that, suggestions.. Not that it matters anyway, they've already recorded an entire playthrough.

For the record, I love Shenmue and so far really enjoying this Endurance Run. It's totally fine if you play the game and don't like it. Plus the crew are entertaining on their own.

TheGrue

Nah, you are.

I don't think that they're not trying to comprehend, but that the game doesn't tell you that you can do any of it, so they've missed it. It's the curse of going back to playing a game from the days when games didn't handhold as much as they do today. I think that's where the criticisms are annoying...people who know the game can do that stuff saying they suck for not doing things they don't know they can do and none of it matters, because nothing will change since they recorded it to completion already.

I'm having a lot of fun watching this ER, but if anything - It has convinced me that I DO NOT CARE to ever play Shenmue, and I appreciate that I can just watch someone else do it while having fun conversations about it/random other things.

Like seriously, the way you hear some fervent fans of Shenmue talk about it, you'd expect something more. I know you gotta take statements from fans with a bit of hyperbole and a grain of salt, but man, I have NO INTEREST in this game after seeing what it is.

Honestly, you can only go so far when saying "you're playing it wrong/you're going into it with the wrong attitude" before you need to come to terms with the fact that well...maybe you've got rose-tinted glasses on.

I don't think that they're not trying to comprehend, but that the game doesn't tell you that you can do any of it, so they've missed it. It's the curse of going back to playing a game from the days when games didn't handhold as much as they do today. I think that's where the criticisms are annoying...people who know the game can do that stuff saying they suck for not doing things they don't know they can do and none of it matters, because nothing will change since they recorded it to completion already.
Oh it's definitely a result of that but they are also focused on their own convo instead of exploring controls and the world more. This game was a technical feat back in 1999 but that doesn't mean it was a flawless game by any means.

The sequel is absolutely a better game, but just the fact that all the interconnected gameplay systems worked at that level of presentation nearly two decades ago was mind boggling to see. Especially coming from PS1 and N64.

I think being annoyed that others are being critical is kind of the anti-thesis of being on a forum to discuss game related things, no? The repetition can grate, sure, but you can also just discuss a different point.

Diancecht

I have never played Shenmue, I don't have any interest in Japanese games and for me this looks like utter dog shit but I am loving this endurance run.

Mr. F

Banned
It's been interesting going from watching the ER and finally getting a sense of what Shenmue even is to popping into that 'whats the most money you've given to a kickstarter' thread and seeing people mention they dropped hundreds on Shenmue 3.

I...I don't get it.

Haha, Vinny's breakdown. I think that is the most actual waiting you have to do in the game, and it is pretty shitty. But later on when you have to wait for night the game gives you something to do.
Driving forklifts, ahh yeah.
Shenmue 2 at least does let you speed up time, and fixes a lot of Vinny's problems with this game.

Boy...fire.

Top Bottom