• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Most of the complaints about the Chrono Trigger ER stemmed from them getting stuck because they weren't reading closely, or people just being bummed that it wasn't half as funny/entertaining as the previous ERs. So just as vitriolic but for different reasons.

This run is much, much more enjoyable than the Chrono Trigger one.
A large portion of it was nonsensical hate directed at Patrick.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This ER makes me miss Austin so much; talking about weird seeming Japanese cultural stuff or telling them to try and check out things would have been right up his alley.

Also you can practically hear the VINNY!s at constantly running the wrong way, missing QTEs, or forgetting that he just figured out the notebook button

Yeah, but then Austin has most likely already played Shenmue multiple times and would end up guiding them to the right place after a few minutes, what makes this trio work is that they're ALL equally clueless about the game.

danm999

If you consider Charlie probably knows where you live and knows where you're going, it's not inconceivable that he would cut you off on the way there, especially since it's the only route to take. Sure, there's some game logic involved thanks to the in-game clock being what it is, but it really isn't outside the realm of believability.

I mean, at that point if I'm Charlie if I know where you live I'd get you while you're sleeping or bash your head the moment you stepped out your front door.

The weird kid with soccer ball (more witnesses) giving you pre-warning just seems confusingly elaborate. Nitpicking I know.

Wuiji

much like shenmue, gay jokes seem dated and awkward now

and like shenmue, they were never really good to begin with

2733173-jeff_smile.gif

orient

Neo Member
At least in point and clicks if you try to interact in a way that won't accomplish anything, the game straight up says "that won't work!" so you can go and try something else.

Oh yes, point & click adventure games, bastions of logical gameplay :-/ Showing every item you've ever picked up to everyone you meet, and also rubbing them against every other object...that makes more sense than just asking people questions?

All this hyperbole about how "broken" the game is, yet they've been moving through the game at a normal pace for first-time players and haven't got stuck once. If this were a 90s adventure game they would've hit several obtuse roadblocks by now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
All this hyperbole about how "broken" the game is, yet they've been moving through the game at a normal pace for first-time players and haven't got stuck once. If this were a 90s adventure game they would've hit several obtuse roadblocks by now.

Most of the game so far consisted of them asking people if they know where to find something.
I feel like it's kinda impossible to get stuck here

Good episode. I'm not convinced that they fully know what zooming in does. I'll see when they get to an important part of the story that forces you to use it.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
The controls ARE pretty bad though. Just played an hour today, and having 3D movement that stiff on the dpad makes the game a lot less inviting to invite and run around

orient

Neo Member
Most of the game so far consisted of them asking people if they know where to find something.
I feel like it's kinda impossible to get stuck here

That's my point. All this hoopla about how poorly the game is sign posted and what you can and can't do is overblown. In genuinely poor games, it is often unclear what to do next. In Shenmue you almost always know what to do next. I'm not saying the investigation gameplay is perfect but I think it has a fairly consistent logic to it.

There is genuinely bad gameplay in Shenmue later on, but thankfully it comes in fairly brief sections.

hitgirl

I use to skip school and play this game. I recently beat it, I think its a great game still, but to each their own. I find it ages better than GTA3.

Spaghetti

Rev up your engines, new episode just went live.

Quick scan through the episode reveals
they reached Master Chen. I was worried they didn't, but thank fuck. Failed enough times on the stealth section to get the map though, which is to be expected. I don't think I know anybody who managed it first time around without that.

EDIT: Vinny forgot X = notebook. CHRISTMAS CANCELLED

DOUBLE EDIT: Irony of ironies, it seems Alex best understands Shenmue's weird mix of game and real world logic. Is he tsundere for Shenmue?

Spaghetti

Tom sucks.
It's a weird mix of game logic and real world logic, but it's part of his little character arc
that he's trying to save his business by selling hotdogs to the harbour workers. He dropped a hint that he's going broke back when looking for sailors.

He'd never been there before Ryo went, I guess?

Strax

It's not even known as the warehouse district though, so again, what are you even talking about?

EDIT: And yes, I know the jacket guy drops the phrase "warehouse district" once , as "a warehouse district?" not "THE warehouse district". One guy going "oh, maybe there's one?" is not "OMG EVERY NPC SHOULD KNOW THIS".

so in part 10 they've talk to two people in the first 6 mins. One says "the new warehouse district" the other one says "the warehouse district"

Just putting it out there.

Zafir

The controls ARE pretty bad though. Just played an hour today, and having 3D movement that stiff on the dpad makes the game a lot less inviting to invite and run around

Fortunately that's also fixed in the second one. From what I remember, you can set it so you can move using the analog stick, you also don't have to hold run anymore either.

Fortunately that's also fixed in the second one. From what I remember, you can set it so you can move using the analog stick, you also don't have to hold run anymore either.

Man honestly it'd be a bit of a shame of this one turned them away from tackling Shenmue 2 because it does address a number of issues but I feel like there's a lot more to do in it.

Spaghetti

so in part 10 they've talk to two people in the first 6 mins. One says "the new warehouse district" the other one says "the warehouse district"

It's not known as the warehouse district. It's not called the warehouse district. It's the New Yokosuka Harbour in Amihama, and the only mention of a warehouse district is by NPCs who work there, who would know there are warehouses in the first place.

Again, for reasons I explained many times, very few Dobuita NPCs would have cause to know what the hell is at the harbour. I cannot believe I have to repeat this shit again.

hamchan

Man honestly it'd be a bit of a shame of this one turned them away from tackling Shenmue 2 because it does address a number of issues but I feel like there's a lot more to do in it.

They seem to be having a good time laughing at a lot of the odd things in the game, and most people also seem to be having a good time watching them, so I bet they'll do 2.

Spaghetti

If anybody wants to know what STRONG sounds like (plus other cassettes in the game), here's a playlist.

STRONG sounds like a weird remix of a track from SEGA Bass Fishing. I think that was an AM2 joint, especially considering there's a SEGA Bass/Marine Fishing poster hidden in a shop in Shenmue II.

Kiske

They seem to be having a good time laughing at a lot of the odd things in the game, and most people also seem to be having a good time watching them, so I bet they'll do 2.

As a Shenmue lover, I'm having a good time since episode 7.
... And I'm actually starting to really like Vinny, Dan & Alex, despite them making me very frustrated from time to time. ^_^

Kiske

Rev up your engines, new episode just went live.

Quick scan through the episode reveals
they reached Master Chen. I was worried they didn't, but thank fuck. Failed enough times on the stealth section to get the map though, which is to be expected. I don't think I know anybody who managed it first time around without that.

I'm 99% I passed the stealth section on the first attempt. But if I remember well, I failed the flashlight QTE at first. Vinny failed pretty much every QTE at first attempt but somehow managed to pass this one like a boss :-D

About the map the homeless man gives to Ryo (I assume you get no help from him if you don't buy him the coffee?), the blank "squares" will fill up if/when you point the flashlight at the building number.

Spaghetti

About the map the homeless man gives to Ryo (I assume you get no help from him if you don't buy him the coffee?), the blank "squares" will fill up if/when you point the flashlight at the building number.
I think you might still get the help even without the coffee, otherwise that section would be an even bigger pain in the ass. I'm not 100% on that, though, and I don't really want to replay the original Shenmue for the second time in a week just to find out, haha. I'm prepping for the juicy final hour, and the equally juicy Shenmue II.

Man it's so weird that the opening of Shenmue II is roughly the same pace as Shenmue's climax, but I guess, to borrow a phrase from the ER, Shenmue II is the real Shenmue. Looking back on all the pre-release materials, Shenmue II content is the meat of what they show up until like just under a year before release.

To be honest, Shenmue being split into the original and II pretty late in development accounts for so many of the first game's issues, but fuck it, it helped refine II in almost every way.

Kiske

I think you might still get the help even without the coffee, otherwise that section would be an even bigger pain in the ass. I'm not 100% on that, though, and I don't really want to replay the original Shenmue for the second time in a week just to find out, haha. I'm prepping for the juicy final hour, and the equally juicy Shenmue II.

Man it's so weird that the opening of Shenmue II is roughly the same pace as Shenmue's climax, but I guess, to borrow a phrase from the ER, Shenmue II is the real Shenmue. Looking back on all the pre-release materials, Shenmue II content is the meat of what they show up until like just under a year before release.

To be honest, Shenmue being split into the original and II pretty late in development accounts for so many of the first game's issues, but fuck it, it helped refine II in almost every way.

Although I do prefer Shenmue II over I, I really enjoyed the first chapter, despite the slow pacing and some flawed mechanics or limitations (like not being able to fast forward).
Probably because at the time and thanks to the mandatory "time-killing" design choice, I've absorbed at my own pace the "open world" of Yokosuka.

Watching the ER, it seems to me that the biggest issue Vinny is having with the game, are the controls.

Zafir

I think the strengths of Shenmue I aren't really shown very well in this kind of "Let's Play" format.

I'd argue the strengths of it were the atmosphere, how detailed it was, and how the world and NPCs changed over the course of the game. Course if you're playing it on video, you don't really have the time to stop and take notice of a lot of that. Even then it's not for everyone.

Spaghetti

Although I do prefer Shenmue II over I, I really enjoyed the first chapter, despite the slow pacing and some flawed mechanics or limitations (like not being able to fast forward).
Probably because at the time and thanks to the mandatory "time-killing" design choice, I've absorbed at my own pace the "open world" of Yokosuka.

Watching the ER, it seems to me that the biggest issue Vinny is having with the game, are the controls.
Disk 1 is make or break for most people TBH. I dunno, I think ideally a truncated version of Shenmue that mixes content from Disk 1 into the through-line of Disk 2 would have helped a lot. Judging from the Saturn Shenmue video and pre-release Shenmue media that probably was going to be the deal, but I guess the split meant having to pad out the opening hours to squeeze the most out of Dobuita as a location.

zaneiken

Neo Member
I think the strengths of Shenmue I aren't really shown very well in this kind of "Let's Play" format.

I'd argue the strengths of it were the atmosphere, how detailed it was, and how the world and NPCs changed over the course of the game. Course if you're playing it on video, you don't really have the time to stop and take notice of a lot of that. Even then it's not for everyone.

Not helped by their potato-quality capture. Would've been so much better in VGA.

Agreed. It's not the best game to be rushed the first time. It's something you savor kinda?

Not sure what I laughed at most in part 10,
Tom just 'being' in the warehouse district and still having no clue where anything is
The horror at the thought of only getting one stealth attempt per 24 hours
or
the first reveal of the (initially) useless map.

This series is fantastic.

Phu

Banned
It's not known as the warehouse district. It's not called the warehouse district. It's the New Yokosuka Harbour in Amihama, and the only mention of a warehouse district is by NPCs who work there, who would know there are warehouses in the first place.

Again, for reasons I explained many times, very few Dobuita NPCs would have cause to know what the hell is at the harbour. I cannot believe I have to repeat this shit again.

No, it's because the residents of Dobuita are merely machines masquerading as humans and only know what they were preloaded to know.

Kiske

What happens if you don't buy that coffee?

According to Gamefaqs, you are then on your own:

...You see a security guard throw a dirty bum out of one of the warehouses, and then Ryo
goes and talks to him. Now, he asks you to buy him a can of coffee. If you
haven't spent all of your money in the arcade, for the love of God, buy him
what he wants. He will help you later.

...After you blow your cover a few times, the old man you met
earlier gives you a map of the old warehouse district (this happens if you've
bought him coffee
).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/198621-shenmue/faqs/18346

Gestahl

Ryo knowing the lunch shop lady and Tom's betrayal basically says all you need to know about the "durr where is warehouse???" saga of Shenmue

Zafir

Ryo knowing the lunch shop lady and Tom's betrayal basically says all you need to know about the "durr where is warehouse???" saga of Shenmue

Tom is just hilarious because prior to you going to the Harbour, he's always in Dobuita. However, suddenly when you go to the Harbour, he teleports there too. :D

Lunch lady is the daughter of the lady in Dobuita. They've got two locations and you never see Hikasa in Dobuita. At least, I haven't. By the same token, her mother never goes to the harbor. Ryo probably doesn't know about Hikasa working the harbor location or didn't think to ask about it.

I'm not sure why this is so confusing. It's been pretty clear that to regular citizens who don't work there, the harbor is just the harbor. To people who work there, obviously they give the warehouse areas a nickname in the warehouse district. At my job, we have nicknames for things regular citizens wouldn't know about either.

This makes a lot of sense and you're just nitpicking the game.

Tom is just hilarious because prior to you going to the Harbour, he's always in Dobuita. However, suddenly when you go to the Harbour, he teleports there too. :D

Yup. Tom is a creeper.

Top Bottom