• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Strax

Lunch lady is the daughter of the lady in Dobuita. They've got two locations and you never see Hikasa in Dobuita. At least, I haven't. By the same token, her mother never goes to the harbor. Ryo probably doesn't know about Hikasa working the harbor location or didn't think to ask about it.

I'm not sure why this is so confusing. It's been pretty clear that to regular citizens who don't work there, the harbor is just the harbor. To people who work there, obviously they give the warehouse areas a nickname in the warehouse district. At my job, we have nicknames for things regular citizens wouldn't know about either.

This makes a lot of sense and you're just nitpicking the game.

SuJ8PXF.gif

Clearly Hikasa lives or lived in Dobuita because Ryo knows her. Its been established he doesn't know about anything outside of his town (even that is being generous to him) . If you have a chain of shops and your daughter runs one of them and you've never even seen the place you are both a bad mother and a bad businessman.

Just because the Tom gag is funny he knew about the warehouse district. Its also been established that people in both towns call it the warehouse district. People do travel between the places otherwise the bus would not be 30 mins apart. Every shop owner should at least be aware of the warehouse district because they get shipments or pick it up themselves from there in some cases.

People may be bad/stupid about Geografy.

https://youtu.be/wYLfPajB7Mg

Just - Let - It - Go :p

Sure they can but not about something thats 2 min bus ride away.

also

Never!

Phu

Banned
Look at the time when they get on the bus and then again when they arrive at the beginning of the next episode. It's like a 2-3 minute ride. That's like a kilometer down the road.

Kiske

SuJ8PXF.gif

Clearly Hikasa lives or lived in Dobuita because Ryo knows her. Its been established he doesn't know about anything outside of his town (even that is being generous to him) . If you have a chain of shops and your daughter runs one of them and you've never even seen the place you are both a bad mother and a bad businessman.

Just because the Tom gag is funny he knew about the warehouse district. Its also been established that people in both towns call it the warehouse district. People do travel between the places otherwise the bus would not be 30 mins apart. Every shop owner should at least be aware of the warehouse district because they get shipments or pick it up themselves from there in some cases.

People may be bad/stupid about Geografy.

https://youtu.be/wYLfPajB7Mg

Just - Let - It - Go :p

*game says the Old Warehouse District is in the Northwest*
Alex: "This would help if you had an actual compass."
*nobody notices the bottom right corner of the screen is a compass*
EDIT: Dan finally noticed it, thank God.

Spaghetti

Look at the time when they get on the bus and then again when they arrive at the beginning of the next episode. It's like a 2-3 minute ride. That's like a kilometer down the road.
That's an in-game contrivance so you're not losing drastic amounts of time riding a bus.

Although I do prefer Shenmue II over I, I really enjoyed the first chapter, despite the slow pacing and some flawed mechanics or limitations (like not being able to fast forward).
Probably because at the time and thanks to the mandatory "time-killing" design choice, I've absorbed at my own pace the "open world" of Yokosuka.

Watching the ER, it seems to me that the biggest issue Vinny is having with the game, are the controls.

From a technical view there's no question the sequel is the better game, but I prefer Shenmue I for it's atmosphere. You spend a lot of time in a small area and really get to know the characters. The game also has an almost palpable, somber tone that I don't think has been matched or even attempted to this day.

Is Tom supposed to be black, or is he just a Japanese man who fell in love with American hip-hop culture?

It's something lost in the translation, but Tom is supposed to be an American speaking very broken Japanese.

Spaghetti

Is Tom supposed to be black, or is he just a Japanese man who fell in love with American hip-hop culture?
He's black.

I guess I kind of understand the thought process in giving him a Jamaican accent in the English dub to make him sound more foreign (in the Japanese dub he's voiced by a Japanese guy doing faux-broken Japanese), but it's puzzling why they don't do the same for the American sailors.

I can't wait to call him up in Shenmue III and see what voice they gave him this time around.

Good episode. They are finally starting to get a better idea of what zoom does. I'm so happy they went to the Harbor Tomato Store. They now know about the raffle at least at this store.

Phu

Banned
That's an in-game contrivance so you're not losing drastic amounts of time riding a bus.

Everywhere Ryo's been has been in one area of Yokosuka. Even the irl analogue for this game has the locations petty close. It's not like it's across the country, it's partway across the city.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fucking Tom ... I hope Vinny runs him over with the forklift :p

this endurance run has been nothing but gold so far, even the awful stealth section was entertaining.

orient

Neo Member
Hope Vinny gets back on Excite QTE 2 and goes for the level beyond expert, SUPER EXPERT.

I don't - it's the crappiest game in the arcade and boring to watch :p

Can't believe how pedantic people are being about the warehouse stuff. It's really not a problem.

I'm really looking forward to them exploring the Hazuki residents. This ER has been awesome, and they're starting to get the hang of it now.

Spaghetti

Everywhere Ryo's been has been in one area of Yokosuka. Even the irl analogue for this game has the locations petty close. It's not like it's across the country, it's partway across the city.
I live really close to a bread factory.

If someone asked me where loading bay #8 is, I wouldn't be able to give them an answer.

Fact is, I couldn't even direct them to the bread factory because I don't know if they even have loading bays there. I couldn't even point them in the general direction of the nearby industrial area for the same reason.

Why? Because I have no reason to go check out the industrial area and neither do the Dobuita residents to check out the harbour.

Where's Warehouse #8? = A contextless clue that only serves to direct you to a phone book if you didn't think of it already.

Where's Amihama? = A clue with context, equivalent to asking where the next town is.

The real grievance should be why Ryo didn't mention the phone number to more NPCs to direct him to the phone book. Although I suppose the answer is to wring a few more minutes out of Disk 1.

I think thats all I'm going to say on this now. It's going in circles and only really serves to shit up the thread between episodes.

Jintor

the real grievance is that ryo never asks follow up questions to anyone and is a video game protagonist written in the 90s

Spaghetti

the real grievance is that ryo never asks follow up questions to anyone and is a video game protagonist written in the 90s
They clear that kind of stuff up in II for the most part. Adding a dialogue tree of sorts helped immeasurably for non-linear quest design.

Plus, NPC answers are structured better in the sequel. Transient NPCs will tell you to "ask someone in this quarter", i.e, ask a static NPC at a shop, if you're looking for something locally. If you need directions static NPCs will help you out of the area by directing you towards the exit, and the transient ones will literally say "hey I'm going there now, follow me".

Shenmue II is just so much better. Sigh. What a game.

They clear that kind of stuff up in II for the most part. Adding a dialogue tree of sorts helped immeasurably for non-linear quest design.

Plus, NPC answers are structured better in the sequel. Transient NPCs will tell you to "ask someone in this quarter", i.e, ask a static NPC at a shop, if you're looking for something locally. If you need directions static NPCs will help you out of the area by directing you towards the exit, and the transient ones will literally say "hey I'm going there now, follow me".

They also give out more specific directions.

In 1 everyone gives Ryo directions as if he already knows where they are because he's lived there his whole life and it's a way to immerse the player in locale. In II, Ryo is a fish out of water, so people give directions in an organic way. Like "see that man with the bird? Turn left past him" because you're basically a tourist. Always loved that attention to detail.

Spaghetti

They also give out more specific directions.

In 1 everyone gives Ryo directions as if he already knows where they are because he's lived there his whole life and it's a way to immerse the player in locale. In II, Ryo is a fish out of water, so people give directions in an organic way. Like "see that man with the bird? Turn left past him" because you're basically a tourist. Always loved that attention to detail.
For all the shit people give the original Shenmue (and contrary to the belief of some, we give it shit too, check the receipts), it was essential for figuring out where to improve for Shenmue II.

Shenmue was like the chimp the United States launched into space. Shenmue II? Apollo 11.

kiguel182

Tom's betrayal was amazing. Hilarious moment. Same for Vinny failing repeatedly at the stealth section and Alex clearly being frustrated at his impatience.

Now that there's less time to kill and frustration they are able to focus more on the game and it has been great. I'm loving this whole ER really.

Spaghetti

New episode is live.

Scrubbed through, and they
didn't find the Phoenix Mirror today. Shame, I was kind of hoping they'd ace it, but maybe I was expecting a bit too much.

EDIT: Oh man they were SO FUCKING CLOSE to
acing the next step of the puzzle

Kiske

New episode is live.

Scrubbed through, and they
didn't find the Phoenix Mirror today. Shame, I was kind of hoping they'd ace it, but maybe I was expecting a bit too much.

EDIT: Oh man they were SO FUCKING CLOSE to
acing the next step of the puzzle

The video is cut off on Youtube :-s

Spaghetti

Alex is some kind of Shenmue savant, I swear. He keeps track of the plot threads and seems to understand the weird mix of video game and real world logic.

Tom's betrayal was amazing. Hilarious moment. Same for Vinny failing repeatedly at the stealth section and Alex clearly being frustrated at his impatience.

Now that there's less time to kill and frustration they are able to focus more on the game and it has been great. I'm loving this whole ER really.

The funny thing is, I cleared this first time by being impatient. If you just run straight to the warehouse door, the guards routes time up nicely. I got lucky and have never had trouble with it since.

Strangely I think I failed the QTE before hand a few times. Sad that they missed a couple of optional cutscenes -
delivering the lunches to the security gate and maybe missing Hisaka's sister falling in with a bad crowd. Although that might still be possible to see, I've done playthroughs where you don't see it.
But really happy they met the old man and helped him. It would have sucked if they had given him the wrong drink for fun.

N.A

Banned
Vinny's complete lack of understanding how to examine things make this episode painful. How hard is it to push A when looking at something?

Spaghetti

Vinny's complete lack of understanding how to examine things make this episode painful. How hard is it to push A when looking at something?
In fairness, even though he knows that, the A button doesn't show up on the HUD with most items.

I guess that's another little improvement made to Shenmue II by having a constant HUD instead of a contextual one.

EDIT: It actually kills me how they didn't figure this out in one go. They came so close several times. I can't believe Vinny spent ages going through random drawers but
didn't bother to toss Iwao's desk drawer

Spaghetti

Again, in fairness, that's kind of a cultural thing that is going to be lost on them. I think they're just calling Ine-san "Mom" now even though they know that's not the case.

Another good episode, progress is being made and we've hit Christmas time.
They're forming relationships and getting to know the characters better.

I'm surprised that they're still having trouble with the layout of Dobuita. The layout isn't complicated and there are easy to recognise landmarks everywhere. Plus they're always looking at the map. But it's impossible for me to not recognise where they are at all times, so that adds to the frustration a little.

Burst out laughing at the line about the cat eating the kid.

Spaghetti

Another good episode, progress is being made and we've hit Christmas time.
They're forming relationships and getting to know the characters better.

I'm surprised that they're still having trouble with the layout of Dobuita. The layout isn't complicated and there are easy to recognise landmarks everywhere. Plus they're always looking at the map. But it's impossible for me to not recognise where they are at all times, so that adds to the frustration a little.

Burst out laughing at the line about the cat eating the kid.
The cat's gotta eat something, because they sure aint' feeding it.

But yeah, it's weird that there's still some confusion about Dobuita's layout. Dan wasn't there that long, was he? They've got to have recorded a few of these per week.

Top Bottom