• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Par Score

It's so weird. He was the most resistant to Shenmue, and yet... understands it the best.

Alex has spent a lot of time with bad* games, he has an innate appreciation of and attention for things he thinks are garbage.

*I think Shenmue is amazing, but Alex clearly doesn't.

Arcane0ne

Watching this episode is frustrating for me because they still can't do basic things.

They missed the letter of Iwao because don't push the A button. Also they missed a lot of things for not examinate and learn how game and controls work. This is the first thing you must learn at the beginning of the game.

Gigarator

I'm surprised that they're still having trouble with the layout of Dobuita. The layout isn't complicated and there are easy to recognise landmarks everywhere. Plus they're always looking at the map. But it's impossible for me to not recognise where they are at all times, so that adds to the frustration a little.

This is why I kinda don't want to see them do Shenmue 2, they'll never ever get used to any area layouts because their complexity is much higher. Dobuita is literally 1 long arching street with a single branch that covers the red light district and yet here we are, 9 or so hours in and they can't get their heads around it.

Huber and Matt Blair playing it for Game Trailers was bad enough, these guys were meant to be big fans and they were getting lost endlessly, so what hope does Vinny have?

Spaghetti

This is why I kinda don't want to see them do Shenmue 2, they'll never ever get used to any area layouts because their complexity is much higher. Dobuita is literally 1 long arching street with a single branch that covers the red light district and yet here we are, 9 or so hours in and they can't get their heads around it.

Huber and Matt Blair playing it for Game Trailers was bad enough, these guys were meant to be big fans and they were getting lost endlessly, so what hope does Vinny have?
Ehhhh, nah. They need to play II. I think it's only fair for Dan (who's genuinely interested in it), and to attempt redemption with Vinny and to an extent, Alex.

There are HUD maps in II, plus if they get lost they can get lead there by the NPCs.

I cannot wait for the meltdown when they figure out they can't skip the journey because the game wants them to learn the route themselves.

Gigarator

There are HUD maps in II, plus if they get lost they can get lead there by the NPCs.

Sure, they can get the maps, but that doesn't mean they actually will do. Even then, they're not especially helpful, particularly when you're looking for something specific. I can imagine them trying to locate something like the Yan Tin Apartments right now and it hurts.

Spaghetti

Sure, they can get the maps, but that doesn't mean they actually will do. Even then, they're not especially helpful, particularly when you're looking for something specific. I can imagine them trying to locate something like the Yan Tin Apartments right now and it hurts.
I dunno, it's hard to miss the MAP stalls. Even though they're not totally detailed in terms of shop by shop, building by building, it should at least help them get through each quarter to where they can ask NPCs where stuff is. Plus, there are the street signs that should help them find their way through the quarters.

If they embrace the spirit of exploring enough, I don't think they'll do that badly.

Maligna

Banned
I'm basically experiencing this series of videos through reading you guys discussing it. I know I would be infuriated if i watched it.

Spaghetti

Also just thought, with Vinny's current QTE skills... the Ghost Hall Bldg will be a fun time.
That's what the
book training is for
. No, really. It's a threat-free way to teach you about gittin' gud at the QTEs on the D-Pad. Shenmue II is really good at training the player in a way that makes sense with the story context, but I expect the nuance will be lost in an endurance run.

Save scumming isn't allowed in endurance runs I believe, so I guess Dan will be writing out the QTE commands on his phone as they discover them.

Then again, maybe after the first set he'll be great at them.

I'm basically experiencing this series of videos through reading you guys discussing it. I know I would be infuriated if i watched it.
It's not so much frustration anymore, personally. Even if they do get within touching distance of solving a puzzle... multiple times...

Kiske

My goodness how frustrating their exploration is...

Ryo's father has been murdered. You should open every drawer and interact with every object in HIS room instead of the kitchen drawers. Even Ine-San in the altar room suggested that Iwao San may have left them some clues. Anyway, they are progressing and will hopefully find the Phoenix mirror by the end of the next episode... if it doesn't last around 30 minutes only :-s

Fun episode to watch though!

Spaghetti

Hate to bring up the "I figured this out as an 8 year old" thing again, but...

On my first playthrough, once it was clear I needed to find something in the house, I went straight to Iwao's room.

I'm sure they'll get it next episode. One of them has to have the brainwave to go back to Iwao's room.

Spaghetti

Yeah, nothing until Monday.

I cannot fucking wait for the
confrontation with Chai
. There will be a laugh out loud moment, guaranteed.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Dude steps behind Ryo on the street

"No way! YOU are working with Lan Di?"
"If I was?" (totally not working for Lan Di)
*fight ensues*

WHAT? HOW? WHY? WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING

Phu

Banned

*fight ensues*

Because he a bodyguard. Sneaking up on their clients, getting into fights with them, and not keeping an eye out for the creepy man on the roof is exactly what bodyguards do!

You are right, Ryo's immediate assumption that he works for Lan Di is totally justified.

The guy was following him and he's wearing a black suit. On top of that, he's Chinese.

Ryo is also brash and hot headed and does things without thinking through them. Of course he's going to think he probably works for Lan Di. And of course he's going to try to fight him.

It's not hard.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The guy was following him and he's wearing a black suit. On top of that, he's Chinese.

Ryo is also brash and hot headed and does things without thinking through them. Of course he's going to think he probably works for Lan Di. And of course he's going to try to fight him.

It's not hard.

It's PRETTY hard.

*see's vaguely familiar chinese guy behind*
*immediately assume he works for Lan-Di*
YOU WORK FOR LAN - DI TOO ?

Would he say the same thing to the old couple in the chinese restaurant ?

YOU COOK FOR LAN-DI TOO ? :eek:

Also, good short episode. That demon golum guy got me good :p

ArjanN

Alex has spent a lot of time with bad* games, he has an innate appreciation of and attention for things he thinks are garbage.

*I think Shenmue is amazing, but Alex clearly doesn't.

I think it's more that Alex just understands/is better at games period.

It's not hard.

Maybe the guy could have been like no I'm your bodyguard

Maybe the guy could have been like no I'm your bodyguard

Well, as said. Shenmue is inspired by kung fu films and shenmo. If you have ever seen a kung fu film, there's always a part where two people fight like "I challenge you to a duel!" and they end up at an impasse because they're both equally skilled or whatever, and turns out they're allies! This is as tradition in wuxia and shenmo as tea house fights. It's a simple way to show Guizhang is just as capable in his kung fu as Ryo, if not more. Which, in Shenmue, matters.

You just sound silly nitpicking it.

Spaghetti

*fight ensues*

Hm? Because he's tailing him and Ryo notices and finds it suspicious (and to be fair, he's probably got cause to be watching his back these days). He didn't really get along with Guizhang at the warehouse, so it's not a huge leap of logic to think something is up.

GBEast got it in the end that Guizhang is trying to psyche Ryo out and test him in combat.

I'm guessing there's probably a translation goof with the first line and the Japanese iteration of the dialogue might make it sound better.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hm? Because he's tailing him and Ryo notices and finds it suspicious (and to be fair, he's probably got cause to be watching his back these days). He didn't really get along with Guizhang at the warehouse, so it's not a huge leap of logic to think something is up.

GBEast got it in the end that Guizhang is trying to psyche Ryo out and test him in combat.

I'm guessing there's probably a translation goof with the first line and the Japanese iteration of the dialogue might make it sound better.

"Huh? What are you doing here?"
"Get ready to fight"
"What? Wait, are you working for Lan Di?"
"Doesn't matter! Prove yourself"

There. Now Ryo doesn't look like a maniac who just screams "WOW YOU SURELY WORK FOR LAN DI!! Couldn't be that Master Chan sent you to tell me .
something!"

It's really not a big deal, it never was for me. You guys really don't need to defend every single small criticism of the game, seriously. It's alright to call out goofy writting, laugh at it and move on. I certainly laugh at a lot of dumb stuff in Planescape.

Spaghetti

It's really not a big deal, it never was for me. You guys really don't need to defend every single small criticism of the game, seriously. It's alright to call out goofy writting, laugh at it and move on. I certainly laugh at a lot of dumb stuff in Planescape.
I'm "defending" it because it doesn't seem as far fetched as you're making it out to be. Ryo and Guizhang didn't get along in the first place, and he's suspicious as to why he's being followed; so Guizhang decided just to fuck with Ryo's assumptions to test him in combat.

It's not even like GBEast walked away from that confrontation confused, they figured it out too.

EDIT: If we're calling out goofy writing, why did neither of them hear the grating voice of a crazed skinhead laughing to himself on a roof? Or does the suspension of disbelief extend to externalised internal monologues?

Maligna

Banned
My favorite part of the basement sequence (which I just played yesterday but I haven't seen these videos so I don't know if they saw this) is when Ryo picks up the small bottle that reads "Elixir of Eternal Life". Then he basically goes "MEH", and puts it back.

Wiseblood

I suddenly see why games have annoying "PRESS X TO DO THING" pop ups that still appear way past the tutorial period, lmao.

Games that do that now are at least consistent about it.

Shenmue has an A button prompt that shows up when you're next to an interactable object...sometimes.

Parham

Banned
What's the best platform to play Shenmue II on? The first game soured any interest I had in playing the second, but it sounds like Shenmue II addresses my main criticism with the original Shenmue.

What's the best platform to play Shenmue II on? The first game soured any interest I had in playing the second, but it sounds like Shenmue II addresses my main criticism with the original Shenmue.

Dreamcast.

In some cases better graphics. More detail because Xbox version deleted signage and stuff in the seemingly dense Hong Kong. Japanese with English subtitles. Less glitches. Can be played in VGA and just generally looks better.

If you don't want to deal with 1 just watch the dossier in II's menu or on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/C_Co9lMmpvc

The Dreamcast version doesn't have the English dub, and you can import a save from the first which carries some things over (if you're in the U.S. you'll have to do something with the save file to import it, never bothered so I'm not sure what's involved.) Aside from that, the Xbox version looks and runs better.

Parham

Banned
Dreamcast.

In some cases better graphics. More detail because Xbox version deleted signage and stuff in the seemingly dense Hong Kong. Japanese with English subtitles. Less glitches. Can be played in VGA and just generally looks better.

If you don't want to deal with 1 just watch the dossier in II's menu or on YouTube.

http://youtu.be/C_Co9lMmpvc

The Dreamcast version doesn't have the English dub, and you can import a save from the first which carries some things over (if you're in the U.S. you'll have to do something with the save file to import it, never bothered so I'm not sure what's involved.) Aside from that, the Xbox version looks and runs better.

Thanks! That's good to know. I'm leaning towards playing it on Dreamcast. Are there any noticeable benefits to importing a Shenmue 1 save? I still have mine.

Thanks! That's good to know. I'm leaning towards playing it on Dreamcast. Are there any noticeable benefits to importing a Shenmue 1 save? I still have mine.

You keep your moves and items collected including toys. So you'll be able sell your toy collection for cash if you want to.

Spaghetti

Games that do that now are at least consistent about it.

Shenmue has an A button prompt that shows up when you're next to an interactable object...sometimes.
That's true.

Shenmue II addressed that with a constant HUD rather than one that appeared in context sensitive situations.

It's just frustrating that Vinny knew that the prompt didn't always show up, but didn't try A anyway, though.

It's already been said, but Dreamcast if you can. It's the visual peak of what the platform was capable of, and you don't have to deal with the awful English dub.

I started an LP (Which I hope to start up again and finish soon) and I got SO lost trying to find specific points. I've played the game many times over and it's so easy to get lost and do circles.

Spaghetti

I started an LP (Which I hope to start up again and finish soon) and I got SO lost trying to find specific points. I've played the game many times over and it's so easy to get lost and do circles.
Really? Which quarter did you have the most trouble in? Or was it that you just forgot which quarter lead where?

Xbox Version running on 360 is probably the easiest way to play it. You'll get good image quality compared to the original xbox running on an hdtv. There are minor pros and cons to each version, the Dreamcast with a VGA cable is my favourite way to play it, but that's not always easy for people to get a hold of.

Top Bottom