• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

I really hope this isn't a missable event.

It's even better because
he teaches Ryo how to do a martial arts move where he plays this Japanese-ass Japanese funky rap music and does a roundhouse kick on ketchup bottles. Then he turns off the music and sadly goes "I'm going back to America tomorrow" out of nowhere.

If you Shenmue defenders had just prefaced your argument with this we wouldn't even be fighting right now

Man, there's no reason interactable objects should be the A button again after you have committed the right level of zoom and its also the same button for closing the drawer/doors. It should simply be X or Y if it's interactable. Unless the devs wanted the illusion that many more things were interactable instead of a clear black/white of what's interactable.

Zafir

Man, there's no reason interactable objects should be the A button again after you have committed the right level of zoom and its also the same button for closing the drawer/doors. It should simply be X or Y if it's interactable. Unless the devs wanted the illusion that many more things were interactable instead of a clear black/white of what's interactable.

?

It's B to shut the drawer I thought?

The problem seemed to be that nothing happens if you press A while fully zoomed in, thus they missed it the first time because of that. Between that being an annoying problem. I think the bigger issue is they should have probably just displayed the A button on anything that is intractable when zoomed in on.

Alas I'm not that mad about it personally, because well, it's a 99 game and there's lots of game jank from around then.

I'm confused.

danm999

Haha, and here we were all thinking it would be Dan! ... if I remember correctly there are some moments coming where I might just have to hide in a bunker and wait it out.

089277d740.png

I was too about the controls lol

I mean, A is confirm. B is cancel.

?

Doesn't matter if you're talking to someone or examining items.

Asking the game to use X or Y makes very little sense. For one thing, X bring up the notepad and Y brings up the menu. This is useful for certain things. For example if you forget a phone number while on the phone all you have to do is hit X and the notepad will come up for you to check the number, press B to cancel, and you're back at the phone. When you want to light a candle, you lock on. Hit Y to go to menu, click matches, and confirm the matches.

What you're asking is like requesting a turn based rpg make A the talk or confirm button but when battling you press X for whatever reason. It's really simple and Shenmue is very consistent with its controls. A means yes, confirm, pick up item, talk. I'm not sure how this is confusing.

I mean, A is confirm. B is cancel.

?

Doesn't matter if you're talking to someone or examining items.

Asking the game to use X or Y makes very little sense. For one thing, X bring up the notepad and Y brings up the menu. This is useful for certain things. For example if you forget a phone number while on the phone all you have to do is hit X and the notepad will come up for you to check the number, press B to cancel, and you're back at the phone.

What you're asking is like requesting a turn based rpg make A the talk or confirm button but when battling you press X for whatever reason. It's really simple and Shenmue is very consistent with its controls. A means yes, confirm, pick up item, talk. I'm not sure how this is confusing.

I mean I was confused as to what the controls were as I never played the game not that the controls itself was confusing. I thought Vinny was pressing A to both open and close the drawers since he opened that drawer before and nothing happened. I was already told that B was close so I was confused before as to what it actually was.

I mean I was confused as to what the controls were as I never played the game not that the controls itself was confusing. I thought Vinny was pressing A to both open and close the drawers since he opened that drawer before and nothing happened. I was already told that B was close so I was confused before as to what it actually was.

Ah. For reference;

A - confirm
B - cancel
X - notebook
Y - menu
LT - run
RT - zoom
Analog - camera pan
D-pad - move

Speaking of which. Vinny when you guys get to Shenmue II the first thing you should do is go to settings and change the controls so you move with analog stick rather than dpad. You can thank me later.

This episode almost broke me. It drove me crazy to see Vinny pass over things like the letter on Iwao's desk a half dozen times but never pick it up. Or the photos. I had the Hazuki residence looted by the second in-game day the first time I played it.

RPGam3r

I don't understand a lot of the nonsense in this thread. I can watch people play a game I know well and not get pissy when it doesn't play out for them the way it does when I play.

Some advice for some of you, don't play games with your kids with this attitude. It will ruin gaming for them, and make you look pretty shitty.

Jintor

I'll say this about Shenmue: It makes me really want to get/make some calligraphy that says "Heaven Dragon Earth Comrades" (in kanji obvs)

This episode almost broke me. It drove me crazy to see Vinny pass over things like the letter on Iwao's desk a half dozen times but never pick it up. Or the photos. I had the Hazuki residence looted by the second in-game day the first time I played it.
Motion to name every time Vinny passes by an obvious thing "Fireboying"

Spaghetti

I've played Shenmue multiple times. More than I can count. And I've never caught that Tom subplot.
It's all told through flavour text and environmental clues.

I think it's written somewhere in his character bio that people avoid Tom because of his broken Japanese too, which might explain why nobody wants to buy the hot dogs? I dunno. It's another one of those things in Shenmue where you can't be sure if it's deliberate, or just there for the sake of it.

Watched today's episode.

Gotta say, this ER is...I think, maybe, I'm not going to say it conclusively but, PROBABLY, making me a fan of Giant Bomb... it makes me want to check their other content. Why am I so tsundere about Giant Bomb?

It's all told through flavour text and environmental clues.

I think it's written somewhere in his character bio that people avoid Tom because of his broken Japanese too, which might explain why nobody wants to buy the hot dogs? I dunno. It's another one of those things in Shenmue where you can't be sure if it's deliberate, or just there for the sake of it.

I read it in his bio but never saw it in-game.

orient

Neo Member
I want to reiterate that, when I said the last episode was frustrating, I meant it only as someone who's intimately familiar with the game and knows where everything is. I don't for 1 second blame Vinny for not understanding that you can't zoom in and press A at the same time. If they're going to disable the "examine" button while zooming, they should really show the prompt then hide it when you zoom in/out -- basic UI design, but forgivable in a 16 year old game. I still thoroughly enjoyed the episode and look forward to watching this ER every night.

I would love for them to do Shenmue II like, more than anything. I only really listen to GB podcasts and watch a Quick Look every now and again, but this is on another level.

I have a feeling they'll go with the Xbox version of Shenmue II due to the English dub -- not because it would be funnier, but because it's simply harder for people to follow along at home if they have to read subtitles the entire time -- although Dan loves being a stickler for the "authentic experience" so who knows.

oti

Banned
I love this ER.

I love the videos themselves.
I love the super dumb video game they chose.
I love the ridiculous reactions they get from fans.

I love it.

Just to reiterate how I feel about this ER - it's bloody great.
I put it on while I cook & eat dinner after work, it's absolutely great to have it every week day.

I particularly enjoy listening to Alex, he has a perspective and tone that really appeals.

Right now this ER is tied for me with the DP VJ run. It's really great. I don't think anything can overthrow the Persona 4 ER for me though.

Hardcore Gaming 101 said:
Shenmue: The Movie (シェンムー・ザ・ムービー) - (1999)

Sega had so much confidence in the presentation of their supposed system seller that they released Shenmue as a movie in theatres. Not a movie based on Shenmue, mind you, but literally scenes from the game cut into a feature-length film. Mostly it consists of the game's cinematic scenes, but even fight sequences are shown in-engine, sans the life meter. A desaturating color filter has been applied to all scenes to make the coloring look more realistic, but other than that it's the exact same thing.

While the film only made it into cinemas in Japan, for whatever reason it used the terrible English dub with Japanese subtitles, like US Shenmue. But the later DVD releases (it was bundled with the Xbox version of Shenmue II) contained optional Japanese audio, as well. Even though there's not that much substance to the plot of Shenmue, the narrative had to be shortened siginificantly to fit into a 1 1/2 hour movie. The whole
ticket scam
subplot and the scenes about Ryo rescuing a bum from a gang, who then teaches him martial arts, had to go, alongside a number of smaller scenes like most of the training flashbacks with Ryo's father or of
Ryo borrowing the motorcycle from a friend before riding it to rescue Nozomi.

ha ha what

ha ha what

It comes with Shenmue IIX.

It's terrible and why I would shake my head any time someone suggested they just make a Shenmue movie or whatever to complete the story. I feel like Shenmue is terrible if you took the cutscenes and made it a movie. As a game though, it works as a unique, relaxing experience.

Spaghetti

+1 to hating Shenmue The Movie that came with the Xbox version of II.

The digest movie in Shenmue II's menu is a better recap of the first game and only lasts fifteen minutes.

Funny thing is back when Shenmue 2 on Xbox released, you couldn't watch Shenmue the Movie on the system without buying the DVD remote. Had to watch it on my PS2 back then.

I love the ER. The different personalities and types of humour between Vinny, Alex and Dan makes it really memorable.
Also, Shenmue is a great choice for that because it is so quirky.

Funny thing is back when Shenmue 2 on Xbox released, you couldn't watch Shenmue the Movie on the system without buying the DVD remote. Had to watch it on my PS2 back then.
Oh man, the dvd remote.
It was licensing fees right? That they covered with the expense of having it locked behind the remote?

kiguel182

I love that this is pre recorded so they don't feel obliged to follow the instructions of the fans of the game. They are playing it like they want to without interferences. And it has been great.

Them getting self conscious because people get super defensive and hostile about the way they play the game would probably affect the ER in a negative way.

I'm loving this ER.

Also, that "I was staring at a candle recently" line was a really Dan way of starting a question.

Ah. For reference;

A - confirm
B - cancel
X - notebook
Y - menu
LT - run
RT - zoom
Analog - camera pan
D-pad - move

Speaking of which. Vinny when you guys get to Shenmue II the first thing you should do is go to settings and change the controls so you move with analog stick rather than dpad. You can thank me later.
Speaking of which, there are modes in both games (if I remember correctly) that allow you to move at different speeds with the analog trigger and look around at the same time to reveal the names of places in text form (without having to zoom in on them).

Actually rather than a mode it might literally just be the "run" button not fully pressed that allows you to do this.

ArjanN

I don't agree with that. I'd say the pre-recording amplified the issues.

If you watch the Persona 4 ER, Vinny and Jeff were great at taking on board comments and I think it eased a lot of everyones frustrations, both viewer and probably them playing it.

I have to agree with this. Same with the Castlevania and other play date stuff that usually goes a lot smoother with people giving them hints.

Kiske

Press A, no Y, No B...

It's starting again :DDD

"KeyGate"

Could somebody pleeeeease describe how you actually use the key with the box? >_<

Top Bottom