• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Zafir

Since Vinny reads the thread I'll just throw in my support that this is a really entertaining run and it's up there with the best of giant bomb so far.

Also if you do eventually do Shenmue 2 I'd say pre-record that one too, because it really takes a lot of the sting out of some of the nastier comments when they can't go "We told you to do this last week, why aren't you listening, etc etc". Just imagine this thread but like, worse.

I don't agree with that. I'd say the pre-recording amplified the issues.

If you watch the Persona 4 ER, Vinny and Jeff were great at taking on board comments and I think it eased a lot of everyones frustrations, both viewer and probably them playing it.

Imagine if people had mentioned the controls after Week 1's episode, and they'd taken it on board?

Suddenly a lot of the complaints go away, half the complaints in this thread was about them not really understanding the zoom function all that well. They wouldn't have missed stuff making their experience a bit of a pain, and viewers don't have to see the same mistakes being made over and over causing even more frustration.
Maybe it's just because I played it in Japanese first. There's definitely better direction going on in the Japanese dub, there's the proper context give to the actors so the emotion flows better. Sometimes in the English dub it feels like line reads are given as flat as possible because there's no motivation. With the exception of Eric Kelso being amazing as
Ren
, there's no real performance I can get behind in there.

Credit to the English VA though, they've stuck by the series for years, and hopefully will be given a better working environment for III.

Oh, I'm European, I played Shenmue back when it first came out here on Dreamcast. So I also played it in Japanese first also.

I dunno I just don't think it detracts that much. Most of the experience is still there. Plus they're in Hong Kong for the most part, I'd say it's more believable they're speaking English than Japanese. Furthermore most people don't understand Japanese anyway, so you can't really fully appreciate the audio regardless.

Spaghetti

Also if you do eventually do Shenmue 2 I'd say pre-record that one too, because it really takes a lot of the sting out of some of the nastier comments when they can't go "We told you to do this last week, why aren't you listening, etc etc". Just imagine this thread but like, worse.
I'd be okay with another pre-recorded one too. There's something oddly reassuring about knowing there's nothing you can do. Provided one compulsory glance is made at the manual, that is. I think area jump is enabled by default in II, as well, and for good reason.

But the english dub work is by far my favorite part of this series so far :(
Believe me, the dub in II just doesn't cut it even for hilarity reasons outside of very minor exceptions.

openrob

I really want to see them get through the 3rd disc. The last fights and ending scene are so good. I can't wait to see them get there.

Also want to know if they find and use any move scrolls XD

Meneses

The english dub is the "best" in the sense that it's really the worst to an extremely comical effect. It definitely detracts a lot from the overall thing.

I was in europe when this came out and thankfully played with the japanese audio (actually, now I don't remember if the first game was in japanese - Shenmue II definitely was.)

Zafir

The english dub is the "best" in the sense that it's really the worst to an extremely comical effect. It definitely detracts a lot from the overall thing.

I was in europe when this came out and thankfully played with the japanese audio (actually, now I don't remember if the first game was in japanese - Shenmue II definitely was.)

No Europe got the dub for Shenmue I. It was just II they released with subs.

I hope they play Shenmue 2 for Xbox. The dub is funny.

I'm baffled as to why they are not a pro at picking up items now. At least they found the key!

I swear, reading the comments on these videos is always far more insufferable than anything going on during them.

When people sent them tips for Persona 4, I don't remember it ever being quite this hostile, and both Vinny and Jeff seemed grateful for the small QOL things that they didn't pick up on. This seems less like people giving tips and more people shitting on them for not playing the game "correctly".

Agreed completely, can't believe the past few pages arguing about whether Vinny hit A or not (even after he confirmed he did hit A). Some super defensive Shenmue fans in here, the hostility is ridiculous. Not sure if the other ER were like this when they were going or not but if so I can definitely see why its been so long since they have done one. GB is about entertainment, not speed runs/playing the game "correctly". There's no use in getting mad about stuff when its all been recorded and you can't change any of it. Not sure why you would watch if it just makes you angry.

This has been a very entertaining run, I am really glad GBeast did this (especially that they prerecorded it)! There has been a lot of hilarious moments. Definitely a highlight of the day

Spaghetti

Yeah, II was in Japanese on Dreamcast, and the first was in English.

The English dub in the first game is endearing, I guess? I've played it a few times in Japanese and it felt... too competent. Whereas the Japanese in II brought the game alive for me waaaaay more than the English dub did.

I have no idea what to expect from III as a result. I don't blame the actors given the working conditions, so I don't think they're the problem. Better translation (8-4 might be on that?) and better voice direction (Ryan Payton could be sitting in, at least) could turn out a fairly reasonable English dub.

Crossing my fingers for dual language tracks at the end of the day, though.

Oh, I'm European, I played Shenmue back when it first came out here on Dreamcast. So I also played it in Japanese first also.

I dunno I just don't think it detracts that much. Most of the experience is still there. Plus they're in Hong Kong for the most part, I'd say it's more believable they're speaking English than Japanese. Furthermore most people don't understand Japanese anyway, so you can't really fully appreciate the audio regardless.
That's fair enough. There are some... bad choice of takes in the English dub though.
The pithy little grunt Ryo does when he counter elbow assaults Dou Niu just doesn't compare to the more forceful Japanese one. Silly thing to point out, I know, but I thought the louder one worked better.

Vinny how does it feel to be the catalyst that tears us all apart?
Or maybe, he brings us together.

Legitimately though, I'm expecting good things in the next few episodes. It's all pretty straightforward, even in
the basement
. It's going to be heaven to see the reaction to
more Chai.

Spaghetti

Haha, and here we were all thinking it would be Dan! ... if I remember correctly there are some moments coming where I might just have to hide in a bunker and wait it out.
It'll be fine. If today taught me anything, it's that we should all just enjoy the ride however we can.

[48 Hours Later]

*is self immolating in a parking lot*

Is it a brawling section? Button mashing only gets you so far. Without learning how to fight a later section will be getting tossed into the deep end.

Haha, and here we were all thinking it would be Dan! ... if I remember correctly there are some moments coming where I might just have to hide in a bunker and wait it out.

BIAndsO.jpg

We're coming and know where to find you, Vinny! VINNY!

sbkodama

yes, but none of them are ideal
either the audio quality is SIGNIFICANTLY decreased, or all the minor npc audio files are removed, in order to get it all to fit on cd-r's (real dreamcast discs are ~1GB, and cd-r's are only 700mb)
I don't know if it has some missing files but it exist a version at around 900 Mo.

About shenmue 2 I would like it pre-record again to not be influenced by comments.

Spaghetti

Is it a brawling section? Button mashing only gets you so far. Without learning how to fight a later section will be getting tossed into the deep end.
I wouldn't think so, I think the game is kind of designed that you can button mash your way through, even the final one. Still, the counter system is the best friend you've got in the fighting sections.

The biggest dilemma of Shenmue II's combat is that they nerfed the combat but seriously boosted the general dodge capabilities. I guess having both would be over the top, especially in the
one on one Virtua Fighter-lite sections.

MMaRsu

Agreed completely, can't believe the past few pages arguing about whether Vinny hit A or not (even after he confirmed he did hit A). Some super defensive Shenmue fans in here, the hostility is ridiculous. Not sure if the other ER were like this when they were going or not but if so I can definitely see why its been so long since they have done one. GB is about entertainment, not speed runs/playing the game "correctly". There's no use in getting mad about stuff when its all been recorded and you can't change any of it. Not sure why you would watch if it just makes you angry.

This has been a very entertaining run, I am really glad GBeast did this (especially that they prerecorded it)! There has been a lot of hilarious moments. Definitely a highlight of the day

I do agree 100% with this post. I'm not a fan of telling the GBE crew what to do, how to play the game or anything like that.

Maybe some people don't know that it has been pre-recorded? I dunno, some comments on GB make it seem that way.

I'll continue to be amazed at this game, and see what the crew thinks of it at the end.

I do hope another ER will come with time, it doesnt have to be Shenmue. Any content from GB is good content ^_^. But I do think Shenmue is a boring f'ing game :p.

Don't think pre-recording is always the best way to go about it, I do like it if there is some interaction with the fans, but in this case ( especially with Dan not being there now ) it works out. But I'm sure if they didn't pre-record they could have gotten some tips. The way they are playing it though, requires no inside knowledge :p.

Also since Vinny is reading this I just wanna say that I am LOVING the Symphony of the Night playthrough. Now there's a game :D.

Salarians

Hardcore Gaming 101 said:
(Tom) doesn't serve any purpose more important than any of the rest of the NPCs - he just dances in the middle of Dobuita and tries to sell hot dogs - but at a certain point of the game, he leaves Japan to go back home. And there's this completely absurd cutscene with Ryo looking up at airplane and saying something like "We'll miss you, Tom."
I really hope this isn't a missable event.

I really hope this isn't a missable event.

It's even better because
he teaches Ryo how to do a martial arts move where he plays this Japanese-ass Japanese funky rap music and does a roundhouse kick on ketchup bottles. Then he turns off the music and sadly goes "I'm going back to America tomorrow" out of nowhere.

Salarians

It's even better because
he teaches Ryo how to do a martial arts move where he plays this Japanese-ass Japanese funky rap music and does a roundhouse kick on ketchup bottles. Then he turns off the music and sadly goes "I'm going back to America tomorrow" out of nowhere.
what's shenmue

BOTEC

That part made me laugh hard because
Tom gets a more emotional goodbye scene than Nozomi.
Ryo, you knucklehead.

Spaghetti

It's even better because
It's easily missed but he actually
tells you he's flat out broke when searching for sailors, and will tell you other times that he dances to attract customers. If you watch them, you'll see NPCs buy lunch from the bento stands and the Tomato Mart, but nobody buys from Tom in the harbour or Dobuita. The leaving event in isolation is sudden as hell, but the game does give you context if you look for it. That's the most Shenmue ass thing in the whole game. "See this plot point? If it didn't make sense, it's because you didn't pay attention to flavour dialogue fifteen hours ago, SUCKER". But still, I appreciate the context actually being there. Deepest hotdog lore.

That part made me laugh hard because
Tom gets a more emotional goodbye scene than Nozomi.
Ryo, you knucklehead.
Shenmue II makes it very clear Ryo is an asexual murderbot. I can't wait to see if that proposed Shenmue III feature where
if you call Nozomi up internationally and you have a good relationship with Shenhua she gets mad
makes it in.

Ladekabel

It's even better because

This is........ amazing!

I hope they get this if it is missable.

gelf

Pretty sure it's not missable as I've had it happen on every single playthrough and I sure as hell miss a lot of other stuff each time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've played Shenmue multiple times. More than I can count. And I've never caught that Tom subplot.

I clearly remember him teaching me moves, but don't remember the part
where he left. It must have been too traumatic for me.

Also thankfully we seem to have moved on, but I love Shenmue and am also having a blast with this endurance run regardless of how many times the A button may or may not have been pressed.

I clearly remember him teaching me moves, but don't remember the part
where he left. It must have been too traumatic for me.

Also thankfully we seem to have moved on, but I love Shenmue and am also having a blast with this endurance run regardless of how many times the A button may or may not have been pressed.

I know the part about
him leaving but him not making money and struggling is new to me. Never knew that's why he moved to the harbor. I know Komine's business was down but not Tom's.

Zafir

I know the part about
him leaving but him not making money and struggling is new to me. Never knew that's why he moved to the harbor. I know Komine's business was down but not Tom's.

I know he mentions hes broke when you're asking about bars.

I can't remember much past that.

Worth noting I've not done a playthrough of Shenmue in a good number of years though.

Wow, Spaghetti made this thread unreadable for page after page.

Hang in there Vinny, I'm loving the ER. I dabbled in Shenmue when it was new and had a harder time than you, and tried it again last year and still couldn't make any headway without just moving on.

Top Bottom