• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Y to inventory, A on key, A again maybe, then B all the way back. It's weird.
I think sometimes he is pressing the wrong button simply because the Xbox A button is green, B is red, and X is blue while on the Dreamcast the A button is red. B is blue, and X is yellow.

button_layout.jpg

Spaghetti

I think sometimes he is pressing the wrong button simply because the Xbox A button is green, B is red, and X is blue while on the Dreamcast the A button is red. B is blue, and X is yellow.

button_layout.jpg
I dunno. I guess they figured it out because of the thumbnail either way so no biggie.

I dunno. I guess they figured it out because of the thumbnail either way so no biggie.
Yeah I don't really find it an issue. Them fumbling their way through games is entertaining to watch. It's just something that I know has given people trouble back when we transitioned from Dreamcast layout to Xbox, myself included. I've got PS to XB down pat through. X = Square, Y = Triangle, B = Circle, and A = "Cross" button (X :p)

button_layout.jpg

This is almost as bad as trying to go from an Xbox controller to a Nintendo one.

THE A AND B SHOULD NEVER BE SWITCHED.

Zomba13

I might just start watching beastcasts over footage of Shenmue 2 when this ER is done. That's one was to get a Shenmue 2 ER.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Vinny, that's the movie you're thinking of.

Other then that, Dan's Bayonetta comments were pretty funny. Good episode, not much progress in the game but meh who cares about that.

Edgeward

I love how when i wake up to prepare to leave for work that this is the first thing on my YouTube sub page. Great thing to watch as I get ready for the day

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"Haha, in order to keep Lan Di from getting the mirror, I'm going through all this secret stuff, get it out of the super secret box in the secret basement behind the secret wall and put it my pants. Now he will never get it"

Shenmue is by far not the only game that does that but this'll always crack me up

Edit: I haven't watched the Shenmue 3 trailer until now (I think) but I'm glad they decided to keep the same quality VA.

BOTEC

Is the
fortune teller actually useful in this game? I went to see her once, asked about a clue, to which she gave me a non-answer. I never went back.
I got held up looking for the Phoenix mirror myself and thought about trying it again.

Spaghetti

Edit: I haven't watched the Shenmue 3 trailer until now (I think) but I'm glad they decided to keep the same quality VA.
I believe the voices in the KS trailer are people who worked on the campaign. Actually I think the fake Ryo was the same dude who narrated the interviews with Japanese staff.

SMG

Is the
fortune teller actually useful in this game? I went to see her once, asked about a clue, to which she gave me a non-answer. I never went back.
I got held up looking for the Phoenix mirror myself and thought about trying it again.

Not really. Best I ever got was being shown one of the the characters I needed to talk to in order to progress.

Fantastapotamus

I believe the voices in the KS trailer are people who worked on the campaign. Actually I think the fake Ryo was the same dude who narrated the interviews with Japanese staff.

I think I read that. I still thought it's funny (cause boy, those voices sound even worse than the ones in Shenmue 1)

Spaghetti

I think I read that. I still thought it's funny (cause boy, those voices sound even worse than the ones in Shenmue 1)
Yeah, but whaddya gonna do. Those two early "trailers" for the Kickstarter were made as cheaply as possible, for obvious reasons.

I don't think they even announced an English language dub until the KS hit 4/5 million.

Fantastapotamus

Yeah, but whaddya gonna do. Those two early "trailers" for the Kickstarter were made as cheaply as possible, for obvious reasons.

I don't think they even announced an English language dub until the KS hit 4/5 million.

How's Shenmue 3 coming along anyway? Does it have release period yet?

They put out this test footage at Magic Monaco. Things are coming along, and it looks great. We're expecting our first real slice of gameplay in December. It probably doesn't mean much, but that house at the beginning is really big for Shenmue fans. It's the last place you go to before II ends. And its been recreated down to every single detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_ShmP8sLE

They also put out this village hut video:

https://youtu.be/25yKuU-Yw74

And last year, when the KS was going on, this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6GzhjPXaE

BUTT CAM

Is the

Yes, the fortune teller works. Fortune teller is how you get numbers in the slothouse. She will also point out clues on what to do next.

.JayZii

Banned

button_layout.jpg
Are we talking about Vinny?

I don't know. I watched a smattering of their Persona 4 Endurance Run and he seemed to be struggling with remembering the controls from the beginning to the end. He might do it on purpose, though.

BOTEC

They put out this test footage at Magic Monaco. Things are coming along, and it looks great. We're expecting our first real slice of gameplay in December. It probably doesn't mean much, but that house at the beginning is really big for Shenmue fans. It's the last place you go to before II ends. And its been recreated down to every single detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_ShmP8sLE

They also put out this village hut video:

https://youtu.be/25yKuU-Yw74

And last year, when the KS was going on, this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6GzhjPXaE

BUTT CAM

Yes, the fortune teller works. Fortune teller is how you get numbers in the slothouse. She will also point out clues on what to do next.

Ah, the slot house. I've never even set foot in the place. I said that I wasn't going to do it, but thinking about all these things I never messed around or missed with has me wanting to go back and play through again. Damn you Shenmue 1! You've sunk your hooks in me!

Ah, the slot house. I've never even set foot in the place. I said that I wasn't going to do it, but thinking about all these things I never messed around or missed with has me wanting to go back and play through again. Damn you Shenmue 1! You've sunk your hooks in me!

Played at a relaxed pace, Shenmue 1 is a great game. I like playing it during December for obvious reasons. It's relaxing to play Shenmue 1 with a blanket and a nice cup of cocoa, collecting stuff and doing the story now and then.

Spaghetti

Tentatively set for December 2017, but everything gets delayed, Kickstarter game or not, so I expect a slip to 2018.

We've not seen a huge amount of the game, but they've shifted to video updates recently, so they're slowly pulling the curtain back as the game reaches more advanced stages than prototype. It's in a playable state in the traditional sense I believe, judging from comments from the producer. Not end-to-end yet, but it's getting there.

A new update is due to drop next week, but we've been told not to expect anything substantial before December. Yu Suzuki is in LA for a Kickstarter dinner with backers then, but that's also around when PSX happens, so...

button_layout.jpg

Color differences from the Xbox gave me lots of trouble with QTEs replaying it last year. Thankfully they're not randomized.

BOTEC

Makes you wonder why none of these console manufacturers went with 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of using letters.

Because they're all just aping Nintnedo. Sega's own Master System and the PC-Engine had 1 & 2 and II & I labels on their controllers respectively. So if NEC had won the 8-bit generation, we'd all be pressing VII and VIII to play racing games.

Sony tried to disrupt the convention with their symbols, but no one else is playing along.

Because they're all just aping Nintnedo. Sega's own Master System and the PC-Engine had 1 & 2 and II & I labels on their controllers respectively. So if NEC had won the 8-bit generation, we'd all be pressing VII and VIII to play racing games.

Sony tried to disrupt the convention with their symbols, but no one else is playing along.

No one is supposed to. The symbols are theirs, and part of their marketing since the mid 90s. No one else can use it except third-party licensed accessories.

I love the east crew, but MAN, they're so down on this game. I thought I wanted this ER but their complete lack of any enthusiasm and down beat attitude is starting to make this a drag to watch.

This 20+ min episode of movie talking between the occasional passive jab at shenmue totally encapsulated, to me, how they really just didn't care about playing the game.

But, I'll keep watching cuz I love Vinny, Alex and Dan. Just sharing my view.

Makes you wonder why none of these console manufacturers went with 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of using letters.
Old PC DirectInput controllers did have that setup for a while before the X360 controller protocol became standard.
134225_logitech_precision_gamepad.jpg

26-127-207-01.jpg

The DirectInput protocol uses numbers for everything but the dpad/analog sticks.

Old PC DirectInput controllers did have that setup for a while before the X360 controller protocol became standard.

The DirectInput protocol uses numbers for everything but the dpad/analog sticks.
Honestly though, even Microsoft's own Sidewider controllers, joystick, etc. had alphabetic characters for action buttons. Either Logitech took the numeration of inputs on DInput hardware far too literal, or this WAS the intention but Microsoft's hardware team didn't care.

Spaghetti

Those old PC controllers, woof. I think I had one of them, and I haaaaaated it.

Anyway, on-topic-

I hope today's episode runs longer. If they're just doing it day by day, then this one will
be over straight after meeting Master Chen
. Hopefully we get to the
Chai fight and close out Disk 2 by the end of the week
?

Top Bottom