• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

All these years I've never played Shenmue. I remember hearing about it from my Sega fanatic friend when I was in Primary School.

Watching GB play it...WOW. It is an amazing, incredible game. It's up there with MGS, FF etc. in the feels and vibe it is giving me. Proper classic late 90s/early 00s Japanese quirkiness.

I'm tempted to stop watching just so I can play it for myself, but I don't really have any avenues with which to do it (no computers good enough for Dreamcast emulation). Getting them up on PSN would be nice...

Zaph

I love the east crew, but MAN, they're so down on this game. I thought I wanted this ER but their complete lack of any enthusiasm and down beat attitude is starting to make this a drag to watch.

Well, previously, official Endurance Run's have been a bit of a misnomer because they played two very highly regarded games, and a not-so-good one with lots of heart and charm. This is the first genuinely bad game and it's clearly coming across in their attitude and the game's inability to hold their attention.

I'm tempted to stop watching just so I can play it for myself, but I don't really have any avenues with which to do it (no computers good enough for Dreamcast emulation). Getting them up on PSN would be nice...
What kind of phone do you have? Works with Reicast :)

Though of course, I'm still game for a remaster / tweaked revision (largely controls, widescreen, and some balancing or whatnot)

Really tho, who the fuck is Ine-San?
Housekeeper that lives there and basically the only real adult at the place.

Really tho, who the fuck is Ine-San?

She's their housekeeper.

Also the biggest superfans are going to tear their hair out when Alex says that he's played the game before and is sure that there was more interaction with Nozomi but doesn't know what else they could have done this time

Almost to the point where we can watch the mind numbing and ball crushing week of forklift bullshit.

You thought Shenmue was exciting before - well just you wait. It's about to ramp up a notch by moving crates all fucking day long.

Curufinwe

Ine-San is super confusing because I have never encountered a fictional story where a young man from a wealthy family loses both his parents and ends up living in a large house with the hired help as his guardian.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Curufinwe

Old PC DirectInput controllers did have that setup for a while before the X360 controller protocol became standard.
134225_logitech_precision_gamepad.jpg

26-127-207-01.jpg

The DirectInput protocol uses numbers for everything but the dpad/analog sticks.

I think that would have worked well for the Xbox, although maybe this would have been better given that the bottom button usually seems to be the most used one.

4-2

I always loved how Fuku's room is totally different from every other martial artists room in the series. Ryo's room is a simple one with a gi hung up. Reminds me of mine. My gi hanging up to dry now! Then you've got Iwao's which has books upon books and you can tell this dude was the analytical type who researched different kinds of arts, made obvious by the fact his art has different martial art influences all over it. Xiuying's room is full of manuals and scrolls and move application. She's a master but she continues to train regularly and strives for perfection. Guixang's place is clean and fits a Tai Chi practioner. Jiamin practically lives in the park but it suits his tai chi and peacefulness. The Shaolin live in a big school. Then there's the Kung fu places in Kowloon.

Every martial artist in the series is taken seriously in terms of their art and practice.

And then there's Fuku. The live in student who can't do the basics but has lived there doing it for ten years, has video game posters hanging up at 26, and uses Akira Yuki move set as guidance. At least he's got that move scroll going for him.

orient

Neo Member
Ahhh, disc 2 is so good. I actually get the impression that the game is growing on Alex, even if he still finds some of it ridiculous. He seems to get what they were going for.

Alex also seems to be the one who remembers where to go and the world layout, which is good for my sanity while watching these :p

Ahhh, disc 2 is so good. I actually get the impression that the game is growing on Alex, even if he still finds some of it ridiculous. He seems to get what they were going for.

Alex also seems to be the one who remembers where to go and the world layout, which is good for my sanity while watching these :p

I'm growing on Alex. At first when I started watching I thought he was Jeff. He sounds like Jeff. I was confused because I like Jeff and wasn't sure about Alex.

Spaghetti

How does he even know bout Virtua Fighter in 1986 lol

Same reason Sonic and the SEGA Saturn do.
Basically.

Point is that basically Fuku-san is kind of a giant fuck up. They didn't show it in the endurance run, but there's a scene early on where you realise he fails at even at the basics of martial arts.

He's been Iwao's live-in student for like a decade and still sucks. You have to wonder if Iwao was running a scam to keep Fuku-san paying tuition. No wonder the Hazuki family are rich!

dlauv

Yu Suzuki stated in a twitter Q&A that Fuku-san's IQ is 86.

He's kind of tragic in that way. He does his best to help Ryo and Ryo walks all over him and even gets angry with him.

Spaghetti

He's kind of tragic in that way. He does his best to help Ryo and Ryo walks all over him and even gets angry with him.
The ultimate Fuku-san burn is in Shenmue II when
Shenhua asks Ryo if he has any family left, and a prompt comes up to say either "Fuku-san" or "Nobody"

Another episode of Progress! Fuku-san might be a useless dweeb but at least he's trying to help. Giving all his money was a pretty big gesture, and went some way to making back what he lost for blabbing to Ine-san within seconds.

I never got this far in my original playthrough of the game, so am too looking forward to many hours of fork-lifiting. I watched my way through Endless Eight so this should be a breeze, at least it'll have entertaining commentary.

dlauv

I mean the IQ being 86 thing means Ryo is stealing money from someone with a learning difficulty. Quality writing for your hero character.

Seeing as how Fuku-san is a whipping boy, it could be culturally accepted.

But also, Ryo isn't exactly smart. I don't suspect he has much of an EQ considering how he treats Nozomi. He's also a drop-out, meatheaded teenager.

Kiske

He's sheltered.

I'm half kidding, but the sheltered angle is really played up in Shenmue II.

I read somewhere, Ryo is kind of "emotionless" because Yu Suzuki wanted the players to project their own personality in the main character. What do you think?

Zafir

I read somewhere, Ryo is kind of "emotionless" because Yu Suzuki wanted the players to project their own personality in the main character. What do you think?
I'm sure I read somewhere that something happened to him as a kid which caused him to keep his emotions in. Like he had a crush or something got rejected and got picked on.

Can't remember where I read that. Maybe ShenmueDojo. Dunno the source though. Maybe it's all just theories.. lol

pizzacat

Banned

finally the answers are coming

its like trying to help someone play a game but its already been recorded

Spaghetti

Hm... I think that may be true of the first game, but you get a bit more meat on Ryo's character in II. That may be because he's
coupled with foils like Xiuying, Ren, and Shenhua though.

Ryo's father about Fuku-san: "He's an idiot. We purposefully trained him wrong. As a joke!"
This is a good summary of the situation.

God, I wonder how long the forklift section is gonna take them.
Disk 3 is basically on rails compared to the rest of the game, so I'd be surprised if there are any holdups that stops them from completing the disk in over the minimum five days of work.

I'm sure I read somewhere that something happened to him as a kid which caused him to keep his emotions in. Like he had a crush or something got rejected and got picked on.

Can't remember where I read that. Maybe ShenmueDojo. Dunno the source though. Maybe it's all just theories.. lol
Yeah, that's a thing I've read too in the character bios somewhere.

I mean the IQ being 86 thing means Ryo is stealing money from someone with a learning difficulty. Quality writing for your hero character.

Shenmue sure does offend you.

He wasn't rejected. He liked a girl and was picked on for it. Probably Ichirou. They got in a fight. You can see the flashback of it earlier in the game. After that, Ryo is withdrawn towards women so they don't know his feelings.

Also, Ryo is supposed to be stoic. He's a martial arts dude from a samurai family. Bushido and all that. Nozomi flat out says Ryo has changed since his fathers murder. Apparently he used to be far more amicable. And now he's socially withdrawn. There's even a part you can miss (highly missable) where Ichirou and Naoyuki come over to check on Ryo because now he's getting into fights, coming home late, and just not being very Ryo-like.

Zafir

He wasn't rejected. He liked a girl and was picked on for it. Probably Ichirou. They got in a fight. You can see the flashback of it earlier in the game. After that, Ryo is withdrawn towards women so they don't know his feelings.

There's a flashback? I don't recall that?

How do you get it?

All these years I've never played Shenmue. I remember hearing about it from my Sega fanatic friend when I was in Primary School.

Watching GB play it...WOW. It is an amazing, incredible game. It's up there with MGS, FF etc. in the feels and vibe it is giving me. Proper classic late 90s/early 00s Japanese quirkiness.

Buy a dreamcast dude. You can get them really cheap 40~60 bucks on amazon or ebay.

openrob

Just to say, I've really enjoyed this episode. I know Shenmue gets a lot of flack, but the latter parts of the game have a good pace (though less explorables/hidden stuff).

Either way, I thought everyone here would appreciate this video:

https://youtu.be/rccW9Tig6_Y

BOTEC

Just to say, I've really enjoyed this episode. I know Shenmue gets a lot of flack, but the latter parts of the game have a good pace (though less explorables/hidden stuff).

Either way, I thought everyone here would appreciate this video:

https://youtu.be/rccW9Tig6_Y

I remembered watching that a long time ago (pre YouTube days) and searched for it yesterday. I thought about posting it here but assumed someone already had. Funny stuff.

Edit: This is the original creators upload, with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70kc2odblU

Top Bottom