• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

MMaRsu

Gonna repost my comment from the GB Endurance Run..

I think this is the worst ED because the game just sucks today. I mean.. I had a lot of fun with the other ED's, and not that Deadly Premonition didn't suck but there was a lot of humor in those video's because of how bad it was.

It's almost tangible how much the crew dislikes this game, except for Dan. But yeah that's Dan :p. It's just a very very boring game. I'm kinda sad they chose this for their ED.

Not saying I don't appreciate the ED because damn I do enjoy new GBE content everyday but yea..

Also I'm bummed about Dan joining GBE. I think Dan is allright guy, but I feel like the laid back flow that GBE has will dissapear. Dan is always so hyper :(.
Either way, I'll still watch it to the end like the other ED's I've watched ^_^ I just hope their next ED ( if they decide to do one ) will be a more interesting game!!

Hakkesshu

It all seemed like a good idea at the time... I just wanted to play Shenmue... I didn't know anybody was going to get hurt. We were just kids.

Also, A was pushed but other buttons may have been held down. I vote for a mistrial and that we all try to enjoy what is a very special game... with some patience and a light heart.

I am greatly enjoying the endurance run, it's probably the funniest content you guys have put out this year.

I hope they do Shenmue II if only because the ending of Shenmue II, if nothing else, explains why people want a sequel so badly

(don't talk about it, or use spoiler tags if they end up actually doing it)

Dineren

Banned
I wonder which version they would play if they did go through Shenmue II. US Xbox for English voices or the PAL dreamcast version with Japanese. With a little work they could carry over there save to the next game.

FStop7

Banned
My favorite example was when they kept running out of SP in Persona 4, so the comments were full of people telling them to buy TaP sodas from the vending machine whenever they became available. Eventually they bought some TaPs, but then instead of using a bunch of them between battles to top up their SP, Vinny waited till he was in the middle of a boss battle and was frustrated that it would cost a turn but only restore 10 SP.

They're pretty notorious about refusing to use buffs in games. I know they've talked about that on the Bombcast a few times. They don't like spells or potions that modify stats. They want the shootbang.

I wonder which version they would play if they did go through Shenmue II. US Xbox for English voices or the PAL dreamcast version with Japanese. With a little work they could carry over there save to the next game.

These guys can't even learn the controls, you think they'll figure out how to convert a save file?

They'll probably spend episode 1 figuring out what the import version won't boot.

MMaRsu

I hope they do Shenmue II if only because the ending of Shenmue II, if nothing else, explains why people want a sequel so badly

(don't talk about it or use spoiler tags if they end up actually doing it)

Ugh :( No thx! Gimme some more interesting games where shit actually happens!

Salarians

I still remember walking into an FYE and being flabbergasted at the sight of Shenmue 2. At the time, I honestly thought the game hasn't been released outside of Japan. Had a similar experience with The Document of MGS2 at the same store.

As for the game itself, all I really remember is Lucky Hit, Joy, and a complicated apartment building (?). I hope they get around to playing it.

(don't talk about it or use spoiler tags if they end up actually doing it)

Ideally they don't wait too long to play Shenmue 2. One of those sequels that's a true continuation of where the previous entry left off.

I want Shenmue 3 to begin the same way. No re-acclimating players. Treat it like they finished Shenmue 2 earlier that day.

From what I understand, Shenmue II is a much faster paced game with way more plot, sidequests, and fights than Shenmue 1. Shenmue 1 was basically meant to be the slow introductory "and the hero leaves his home village and starts out on his quest" portion of an RPG, but for an entire game (possibly because it and Shenmue II were supposed to be one game but got cut up, if hearsay is true). The title in Japan for Shenmue 1 is even like, "Shenmue: Chapter One: Yokosuka" like it's just a prologue, while Shenmue 2 is treated as three whole chapters by itself.

Then it ends with
Ryo walking into a cave and seeing a sword float by magic as it's revealed he's the subject of an ancient prophecy to save the world

Spaghetti

The Dreamcast version of II would be ideal. It's really the best version of the game, if only for avoiding the English dub and seeing the console's graphical peak.

The Xbox version is kind of like a less offensive Star Wars Special Edition version, the core experience is there but there are tweaks you wish they didn't make, like the overkill bloom effect.

There's nothing big in their save file right now that's worth the effort to convert the save, unless Vinny is super into his capsule toy collection.

N.A

Banned

People in general seem to be enjoying the ER whether they are fans of Shenmue or hate the game. I'm enjoying it despite the painful moments they overlook something. I think Shenmue 2 is a much more interesting game though and there is a lot of stuff in there I would like to hear their thoughts on.

Zafir

I'm sure they'd just play the Xbox version.

Like I'm not sure it even matters that much anyway. Carrying over data doesn't impact the game that massively.

Which basically just leaves the issue of voices and well, I'm not sure whether it matters that much if they play it with the original Japanese voices. I don't think it does, they're of superior quality but I think the game's still fine with the english dub.
If it's still mostly walking around streets, talking to NPC's with terrible dialogue, I think I'm good.
The English Dub is of the same quality, yeah. :p

The Dreamcast version of II would be ideal. It's really the best version of the game, if only for avoiding the English dub and seeing the console's graphical peak.

The Xbox version is kind of like a less offensive Star Wars Special Edition version, the core experience is there but there are tweaks you wish they didn't make, like the overkill bloom effect.

There's nothing big in their save file right now that's worth the effort to convert the save, unless Vinny is super into his capsule toy collection.

Playing DC version would be annoying because they already don't pay attention to the dialogue being said, and now it's in another language? Doesn't seem optimal. Xbox version would be best.

Salarians

Then it ends with
tumblr_nmxp4sBSxM1qz4zf7o1_250.jpg

MMaRsu

From what I understand, Shenmue II is a much faster paced game with way more plot, sidequests, and fights than Shenmue 1. Shenmue 1 was basically meant to be the slow introductory "and the hero leaves his home village and starts out on his quest" portion of an RPG, but for an entire game (possibly because it and Shenmue II were supposed to be one game but got cut up, if hearsay is true). The title in Japan for Shenmue 1 is even like, "Shenmue: Chapter One: Yokosuka" like it's just a prologue, while Shenmue 2 is treated as three whole chapters by itself.

Then it ends with
Ryo walking into a cave and seeing a sword float by magic as it's revealed he's the subject of an ancient prophecy to save the world

Wow seriously? That's kinda crazy.

Always had a Dreamcast since launch but never played Shenmue. Back when I was a kid I had interest in it but never got around to it. I'm sure I would have loved it back then.. but looking at the first game during this ER, it has really aged badly. But it does have some interesting idea's. And some interesting mechanics :).

I'll gladly keep watching, I just hope for the next ER in however many years, we get a different kinda game ^_^

They'll play Shenmue II because even if they hate the game they'll want to know what happens next. Also these aren't incredibly long games. I honestly think if they understood the controls from the beginning they would've enjoyed it at least a bit.

Edgeward

I never played the original and I am greatly enjoying this run. Makes me wish there was an easy way to play it.

The way they overlook certain things can be a bit frustrating but it's an interesting look to see how people today would play a game like that back then. Other than P4, this is the only ER plan to see every second of

Spaghetti

Playing DC version would be annoying because they already don't pay attention to the dialogue being said, and now it's in another language? Doesn't seem optimal. Xbox version would be best.
I dunno, maybe the Japanese would make them pay more attention? It's kind of a crapshoot, Shenmue II's story and characters are leagues ahead but it still requires engagement from the audience to enjoy. The English dub sucks so much of the atmosphere and emotion away that it might just make it all fall flat on its face.

Then it ends with
Shenmue is the opening hours of an RPG stretched to the length of a full game, for better or worse.

If we're being technical about Shenmue II's ending,
the sword floats through "chi" specifically rather than magic
. It's the tipping point where Shenmue goes full Wuxia.

FStop7

Banned
About Mario the pizza guy.

In the 1940s an American named Nick Zappetti was stationed in Japan during the post-WW2 occupation and reconstruction.

Long story short, he brought over or helped popularize some big things in Japan: pizza, pro wrestling, and the Italian mafia.

I think Shenmue's pizza guy is a bit of a vague reference to Zappetti, who famously opened "Nicola's" in Roppongi, one of the (if not the first) OG Italian restaurants in Japan

There's a good book about Zappetti's life that also breaks down a bit of the history of pro wrestling in Japan and how it became so huge in the aftermath of WW2.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375724893/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dunno, maybe the Japanese would make them pay more attention? It's kind of a crapshoot, Shenmue II's story and characters are leagues ahead but it still requires engagement from the audience to enjoy. The English dub sucks so much of the atmosphere and emotion away that it might just make it all fall flat on its face.

Shenmue is the opening hours of an RPG stretched to the length of a full game, for better or worse.

Specifically
the sword does not float by itself. Shenhua is holding the sword in the air with her chi.

Dineren

Banned
About Mario the pizza guy.

In the 1940s an American named Nick Zappetti was stationed in Japan during the post-WW2 occupation and reconstruction.

Long story short, he brought over or helped popularize some big things in Japan: pizza, pro wrestling, and the Italian mafia.

I think Shenmue's pizza guy is a bit of a vague reference to Zappetti.

There's a good book about Zappetti's life that also breaks down a bit of the history of pro wrestling in Japan and how it became so huge in the aftermath of WW2.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375724893/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Suddenly Mario seems a lot more sinister.

mattp

Out of curiosity, is there a modded Dreamcast version with the English dub?

yes, but none of them are ideal
either the audio quality is SIGNIFICANTLY decreased, or all the minor npc audio files are removed, in order to get it all to fit on cd-r's (real dreamcast discs are ~1GB, and cd-r's are only 700mb)

In addition to the helpful corrections on
why the floating glowing sword is actually just floating by kung fu magic, not normal magic
, you have to understand the game just ends right there. As in dramatic picture of
Ryo and Shenhua, the girl that's in the intro of Shenmue 1 but you don't meet until the final act of Shenmue II, and the floating sword,
and then it just fades to
a black screen with "The story goes on..."
and that's it. That's where the plot has been stuck for 15 years.

Although I dunno, maybe the Shenmue mobile game or the cancelled Shenmue MMO explained more

yes, but none of them are ideal
either the audio quality is SIGNIFICANTLY decreased, or all the minor npc audio files are removed, in order to get it all to fit on cd-r's (real dreamcast discs are ~1GB, and cd-r's are only 700mb)

I see. Although technically they could make it a full size iso for emulators or the sd card mod.

Spaghetti

why the floating glowing sword is actually just floating by kung fu magic, not normal magic
, you have to understand the game just ends right there. As in dramatic picture of
Ryo and Shenhua, the girl that's in the intro of Shenmue 1 but you don't meet until the final act of Shenmue II, and the floating sword,

Although I dunno, maybe the Shenmue mobile game or the cancelled Shenmue MMO explained more
It's also worth saying the entire epilogue section of Shenmue II telegraphs that
something funny is up with Shenhua. Not even counting the fact Ryo starts having weird dreams about her once he gets the Phoenix Mirror.

I don't think the mobile games expanded on any of that, but the MMO apparently leaned into the
"chi" side of things
a lot heavier than the mainline games. I think that ultimately
"chi" will be fairly grounded and not verging too far into the fantastical, or at least Ryo will not be able to make much use of anything relating to it. The direction of Shenmue III implies he'll still be using straight up martial arts prowess to get shit done.

BOTEC

Anything short of this, and I'll want my Kickstarter money back.

Zafir

I don't agree with that at all. The dub's not great but again I think you can see the funny side of it, and I don't think it takes away from the rest of the game.

Maybe that's just me though. I can appreciate games through bad dubs.

Hell I completed Arc Rise Fantasia. Urgh.

Dineren

Banned
It's also worth saying the entire epilogue section of Shenmue II telegraphs that
I think that ultimately
"chi" will be fairly grounded and not verging too far into the fantastical, or at least Ryo will not be able to make much use of anything relating to it. The direction of Shenmue III implies he'll still be using straight up martial arts prowess to get shit done.
I hope this is the case, I would vastly prefer
that magic be rare and used sparingly. I really don't want everyone shooting fireballs
. That said, I trust the team that has been assembled so I think I'll enjoy it regardless of the direction it goes in.

Wow, approaching near-DSP levels of not pressing a button they have been pressing many other times to do the exact same thing, then complaining about it, haha.

At least they made some minor progress again. How many hours in total do you think it took them to get through the first Shenmue?!

that magic be rare and used sparingly. I really don't want everyone shooting fireballs
. That said, I trust the team that has been assembled so I think I'll enjoy it regardless of the direction it goes in.

They said Online was an exception and the game would will still be grounded.

hamchan

Since Vinny reads the thread I'll just throw in my support that this is a really entertaining run and it's up there with the best of giant bomb so far.

Also if you do eventually do Shenmue 2 I'd say pre-record that one too, because it really takes a lot of the sting out of some of the nastier comments when they can't go "We told you to do this last week, why aren't you listening, etc etc". Just imagine this thread but like, worse.

Spaghetti

Anything short of this, and I'll want my Kickstarter money back.
Hah.

I think it'll head that way the more Ryo heads
into mainland China. I believe he may ditch the jacket for a full on martial arts uniform in III, but I think a costume change option is on the cards too...

Nah, I believe Yu Suzuki addressed this last year and again somewhat in February,
and the series shall remain grounded. As far as we're aware Shenhua is the only super chi-sensitive character in the series and will probably remain that way.

I don't agree with that at all. The dub's not great but again I think you can see the funny side of it, and I don't think it takes away from the rest of the game.

Maybe that's just me though. I can appreciate games through bad dubs.

Hell I completed Arc Rise Fantasia. Urgh.
Maybe it's just because I played it in Japanese first. There's definitely better direction going on in the Japanese dub, there's the proper context give to the actors so the emotion flows better. Sometimes in the English dub it feels like line reads are given as flat as possible because there's no motivation. With the exception of Eric Kelso being amazing as
Ren
, there's no real performance I can get behind in there.

Credit to the English VA though, they've stuck by the series for years, and hopefully will be given a better working environment for III.

I'm talking about flying through the air with swords and shit. It's the only way part 3 can live up to the hype.

That will probably never happen. Shenmue is more 36th Chamber of Shaolin combined with Police Story and Project A than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Hero. It has wuxia in it but it's more on the subdued side. But who knows. Maybe you'll get your wish!

Top Bottom