• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

I think Chai's cool. For the minimal role he has & I like his fights. I do hope he's not a major player in III, though. When I first played through the game I was way more creeped out by the Tattoo parlor dude who's obsessed with Ryo's skin. I don't think they got that scene in this run, though.

Catching up on the ED and its been getting better with every ep. Just finished playing through Shen II, again and damn what a game. Although some of the glitches with the 360's emulation are really annoying. I like Shenmue I slightly better because of that small town feel but Shen II has so many great moments. It's crazy how it makes you feel like you actually are a long way from home in a strange new land.

I'd really like to try the dreamcast version and actually carry my save over from 1 but that's quite expensive.

Spaghetti

I think Chai's cool. For the minimal role he has & I like his fights. I do hope he's not a major player in III, though. When I first played through the game I was way more creeped out by the Tattoo parlor dude who's obsessed with Ryo's skin. I don't think they got that scene in this run, though.
He probably won't be a major player in III, there will be enough going on with (possibly MAJOR spoilers for III)
facing down Ziming, possibly Baihu again, and Lan Di
. I do hope they repurpose the idea from the cut Shenmue II content and have a battle with Chai
on the boat to Choubu, complete with the Vega-like claw weapon he has in the mini-manga seen in the Xbox version of II

BOTEC

They're bringing Chai back in 3!? This is the worst news possible! While I could tolerate and even respect Shenmue 1 before, I've always thought he was single handedly the worst part. Like others have pointed out, not only did he suck, he tonally didn't fit in, and therefore broke a lot of the immersion and realism the game was aiming for.

The freak show villains in 2 worked so much better because Hong Kong is a cartoon itself. The craziness blended together. Sleepy Yokosuka didn't need "Gollum."

Spaghetti

They're bringing Chai back in 3!? This is the worst news possible! While I could tolerate and even respect Shenmue 1 before, I've always thought he was single handedly the worst part. Like others have pointed out, not only did he suck, he tonally didn't fit in, and therefore broke a lot of the immersion and realism the game was aiming for.

The freak show villains in 2 worked so much better because Hong Kong is a cartoon itself. The craziness blended together. Sleepy Yokosuka didn't need "Gollum."
Best to keep an open mind for now. We don't really know how Chai fits into III. Given the right execution (which I think about 99% of most people's problems with Chai stem from), it might be an inclusion that makes sense, or at the very least provides a good fight/action sequence.

For design though, they should definitely step back to the original artwork rather than work from the old character model. It's still an eccentric design, but it'll probably work better.

EDIT: Actually, on the subject of the original art, one of the things I'm most excited for in the Kickstarter goodies I pledged for is the art book. There must be tons of the stuff, and nearly none of it ever got released.

Spaghetti

Chai blows. I doubt even the right execution can save anything related to that train wreck of a character.
Calling him a character at all is fairly forgiving, he just kind of exists.

Maybe that's why I'm not totally opposed to a return as some totally nuts force of nature opponent, I guess?

Hmm, I never knew people had such strung opinions about Chai. He's in the game for like 25 minutes total and he never rubbed me the wrong way.

If the GB crew ever plays Shen II I hope someone tells them you can hold down b and turn in place. It alleviates so much of the frustration I see them going through approaching smaller objects. Having to walk away from and back up to maps, etc.

Zafir

Oh for sure, but
Yuan
and
Dou Niu
are on almost the same level of ridiculous as Chai though.

The only serious villains are
Lan Di (obviously)
, and
Baihu
, who are more than just 'villain of the week' like the other two examples.

I'd say they were kind of ridiculous in a good way. They were just amusing, even despite
Yuan's
questionable handling in the dub.

Where as Chai is just meh. I think his lack of appearance is part of the problem really. They don't even develop him, where as with
Dou Niu and Yuan
you can get a lot more story from them.

kiguel182

Vinny doing the whole "travel agent Tom" bit was amazing. And the ending with the agency closing was also great. Really fun episode.

BOTEC

Wait, Vinny doesn't like Skittles? My world just crashed down around me. I thought you was cool Vin...

Skittles > M&M's

This thread is now about arguing about candy.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Started to see and I'm on the third episode. Didn't know that this is kinda like Two Best Friends Play. I'm loving it.

dlauv

I've been playing Shenmue II. I just finished all of my book forklifting and I think it's far worse than Shenmue I so far. Does it pick up?

I've been playing Shenmue II. I just finished all of my book forklifting and I think it's far worse than Shenmue I so far. Does it pick up?

It's better from minute one to be honest. It "picks" up right from the beginning. Unlike I it's far less of a slow burn. If you're not enjoying it now maybe you'll like Kowloon but I think II's entirety is better than I and we won't agree.

Zafir

It depends on what you're disliking about it so far.

You aren't too far off going to the next area, and during that there is a lot more story, and more importantly a lot more action.

dlauv

A lot more running around samey environments, a lot less detail in the environments and less interaction, environments are designed around minimaps rather than engendering memory with setpieces. The book forklifting was hellishly dull. Voice acting is less funny. It seems like more has actually happened with a quicker pacing but it's all a bit of a blur. I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of faceless nobodies instead of getting to know a cast of characters. I don't like that money is less regular and activities such as going to the arcade are just generally harder to do due to map design. It feels like the general differences between open world and smaller, more deliberate game design. Feels lower budget with less meticulous craft put into everything.

The framerate, controls, and fighting are all better tho. Waiting is a good option. Saving anywhere is great. Characters pointing out directly where to go and some even offering Ryo to follow them was a great idea.

Dineren

Banned
I really need to play Shenmue II again soon. I always plan to play them together as a set when I replay them, but end up getting distracted by new games releasing once I finish Shenmue I. I think I'll start it up after I play some FH3 this weekend.

I am one of those weirdos who like Shenmue I more though, so it will be hard to resist starting that up again first.

Zafir

A lot more running around samey environments, a lot less detail in the environments, environments are designed around minimaps rather than engendering memory with setpieces. The book forklifting was hellishly dull. Voice acting is less funny. It seems like more has actually happened with a quicker pacing but it's all a bit of a blur. I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of faceless nobodies instead of getting to know a cast of characters. I don't like that money is less regular and activities such as going to the arcade are just generally harder to do due to map design.

The framerate, controls, and fighting are all better tho.

I mean later on you get to know the main characters more.
Ren, Joy, Wong
etc. You don't ever get that kind of homely feel that Shenmue had though. You can go in most buildings in the next area, even going up a ridiculous amount of floors, so I'd argue it probably is a little more detailed than Wan Chai/Aberdeen in that respect - it doesn't have the same you can pick up loads of random stuff as in Shenmue though.

It really does just focus on different aspects. So I think you'll be disappointed expecting the same level as detail as what the first game did.

dlauv

True. I haven't even gotten to the box art characters. I'm finishing the game regardless but it seems I have a lot more to look forward to.

A lot more running around samey environments, a lot less detail in the environments, environments are designed around minimaps rather than engendering memory with setpieces. The book forklifting was hellishly dull. Voice acting is less funny. It seems like more has actually happened with a quicker pacing but it's all a bit of a blur. I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of faceless nobodies instead of getting to know a cast of characters. I don't like that money is less regular and activities such as going to the arcade are just generally harder to do due to map design. It feels like the general differences between open world and smaller, more deliberate game design.

The framerate, controls, and fighting are all better tho. Waiting is a good option. Saving anywhere is great.

1 is in Ryo's home town. He knows about everyone there in the basic vicinity of his home. 2 is Ryo is another country. Expecting him to know every character doesn't make much sense. It's also in Hong Kong, which is massive. II is detailed like I but in different ways. Not sure why you call airing books fork lifting. I think it serves a better story telling device than fork lifting. You're just airing out books. I'm not sure what characters you're talking to but a lot of the characters in II aren't faceless nobodies. In I, you don't know much about the npcs who refuse to talk to you right? HK is similar. Being a tourist he has no relation. There are plenty of secret characters in II.

II's story is also more interesting. A story about a boy on a martial arts journey in a foreign country is far better than a story about a boy who has to find clues about his fathers murderer and how to track him down. If things like Wude, catching leaves, Xiuying, and all of the martial arts stuff doesn't interest you I don't know what to say. But I find it infinitely more interesting than I, larger city with "less detail" or not. Also, because of its size, I find finding secrets in II more satisfying. In I, a lot of it is on smaller ground. In II you really need to actually explore to find some secrets.

For what it's worth, III takes place in China's countryside and will evoke the small town feel of I most likely, than the action adventure game that is Shenmue II.

dlauv

1 is in Ryo's home town. He knows about everyone there in the basic vicinity of his home. 2 is Ryo is another country. Expecting him to know every character doesn't make much sense.

This is not what I'm talking about. I'm saying the characters don't feel as vibrant or as memorable at all. It's possibly due to shuffling through the cast so quickly so far, or that all of the major players so far are attempting to be portrayed as kung fu mysteries by design, which inhibits personality, or it could be that their voice acting is more dull. The best character so far has been the old man at the park and god can't help me to remember his name.

It's also in Hong Kong, which is massive. II is detailed like I but in different ways. Not sure why you call airing books fork lifting. I think it serves a better story telling device than fork lifting. You're just airing out books.

Because it's a repetitive, menial and boring task that serves a blockade for story progression. In fact their main purpose is to inhibit the story by
trying to quell Ryo's revenge angst
. "Airing out the books" as it were. That could have been portrayed in so many more ways than a 3 minute long QTE done four or five times.

II's story is also more interesting. A story about a boy who on a martial arts journey in a foreign country is far better than a story about a boy who has to find clues about his fathers murderer and how to track him down. If things like Wude, catching leaves, Xiuying, and all of the martial arts stuff doesn't interest you I don't know what to say.

That stuff is fine but it doesn't amount to more than doing some trivial new mini game and run around and talk to people. Old man
tapping a tree
is tropesville. I guess that's the point, but it doesn't mean I have to be mesmerized by it. Shenmue I had more conventional adventure game mechanical aspects to it and far more detective work involved, which I found more interesting, and kind of funny juxtaposed with how mundane a lot of plot points were. Phone dialing was a bitch, but it was cool in how it could advance the plot. In this, everyone basically tells you exactly where you need to go. Follow the bread crumbs, Dyo.

For what it's worth, III takes place in China's countryside and will evoke the small town feel of I most likely, than the action adventure game that is Shenmue II.

Looking forward to it, but didn't everyone say a couple of pages back that it was a 2 hour walk and talk epilogue?

When did you originally play Shenmue I? Maybe you don't find them as memorable because you're playing this sequel to a game you originally played 16 years ago and you have specific expectations?

How aren't they memorable? Especially compared to Fuku or Ine? Xiuying is a master Bajiquan user who runs a Taoist temple. She's also literally the first character in the series (besides Lan Di in the intro) to outclass Ryo's martial arts in every sense. Maybe you're thinking of Chen and Ghuizhang? You barely interact with Chen, and Ghuizhang is cool but he takes a while to get interesting. Fuku is pretty boring/annoying and Ine is an okay character but not exactly the most memorable.

I'm not sure how it's a blur either. You spend almost two whole discs with the Wan Chai cast. You see Xiuying and Fangmei every day, and Jianmin and Guixang pretty frequently too.

The only character I can think of that's not terribly memorable is Joy. And Nozomi wins all the contests there.

So are they not memorable or they are not memorable because of nostalgia towards Shenmue I?

Basically, keep playing I guess.

dlauv

When did you originally play Shenmue I?

I played Shenmue through for the first time in late August of this year. Started the 29th and played for four days. I was hooked and spent seven hours on one session even. The first two discs were great stuff, I felt.

Before I'd played it through then, I'd played it for an hour or so in 2014 and thought very little of it.

I think II definitely has the same cool "overwhelming at first but you get your bearings along the way" deal. You don't really need to use the mini-map in that game. Or at least I personally never relied on it.

I can see why someone would say the cast in II is less memorable just because the shop owners and towns-people have less personality compared to Shen I. The actual major players are more interesting overall, though imo. How it worked out makes sense considering the small town vs big city and how different the games are tonally. Still, there's no town regular that would warrant a send off like Tom or Megumi got for example. Or even stuff like small talk about competing florists or that one girl who's pissed you're always stone-walling Nozomi.

Again, I'd likely give II the edge but I can see how someone would make the argument considering the memorable locales & handful of strong major players. I mean, Goro alone is a heavy hitter. I miss Goro.

I just loaded an old save of Shenmue I to screw around (from an abandoned run a while back) and I never knew you could ask Wang-san to translate Ine's letter for you. I went to Ajiichi and they sent me to find him on delivery. Ryo actually asks him to translate the note after you buy him a soda. Now I know Xiuyu is Wang's Chinese tutor. I swear I see something new every time I play this game.

openrob

A lot more running around samey environments, a lot less detail in the environments and less interaction, environments are designed around minimaps rather than engendering memory with setpieces. The book forklifting was hellishly dull. Voice acting is less funny. It seems like more has actually happened with a quicker pacing but it's all a bit of a blur. I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of faceless nobodies instead of getting to know a cast of characters. I don't like that money is less regular and activities such as going to the arcade are just generally harder to do due to map design. It feels like the general differences between open world and smaller, more deliberate game design. Feels lower budget with less meticulous craft put into everything.

The framerate, controls, and fighting are all better tho. Waiting is a good option. Saving anywhere is great. Characters pointing out directly where to go and some even offering Ryo to follow them was a great idea.

I think the idea is that Hong Kong is just as fast paced and unfamiliar to Ryo as it is for you. Ryo has known the inhabitants of Dobuita his whole like, whereas he doesn't know a soul HK. And Yokosuka is a relatively small place - HK is HK haha. But you WILL begin to familiarise, trust and get to know some characters along the way.

Basically Ryo soon abandons the watchful eye of
Master Tao
which means he has to make his own way and to do so needs to get to know others. (Some are completely optional).

SMG

Nice to see the guys actually understanding the game better and better. Really enjoyed the last couple episodes.

They are getting better at the exploration and investigation, active combat is another story.
No sleep training, no park training, missing lots of move scrolls.
The 70 man fight really will be hell.

Agreed, but it does nullify the whole Job/Money system in the game. 20minutes of save summing with gambling and you'll never need to engage with any of it.

Spaghetti

That's surprising to hear. You may be in the minority (at least, judging from opinion I've gleaned over the years) that appreciates the original's intimacy and mood over II's more streamlined, refined experience. For a long time, I felt the same.

Although, as I kept playing both games over the last 15 years, I found that intimacy is still present in II with core cast and even with irrelevant NPCs.

I'm roughly at the same point in the story as you on my current replay, and I walked into some random store the other day and found the owner had a bunch of Virtua Fighter character photos on a cork board behind her. I asked her a question and she kept going on about taking Ryo's picture because she thought he'd fit in with the ones on the board.

Like, this wasn't any important store that you have to go into for story purposes, but there was still that quirky NPC most players would never even see. There's also the pair of butchers who always slag each other off, the capsule toy collector, the pawn shop owners who warn you against using their competitors, etc. I think Shenmue II has arguably more detail available to players because of this stuff, even if it doesn't evoke the hometown feel of the original.

I can't agree with the samey environments argument though. I always felt the quarters were pretty distinct.

Spaghetti

New episode is live.

The episode caption: "I'd like to thank all of you for whom this will be your last episode with us. We truly understand and wish you the best."

Welp.

It's 51 minutes long, and I have the strong suspicion most of that is waiting.

CtB__W8VMAARIeu.jpg:large

Kiske

To be fair, they were unlucky with timing in episode 15. Had they been at the Asia & Co. Travel agency a few hours sooner, they wouldn't have had to spend a whole day waiting.

Even if personally, I like the fact that sometimes you need to wait for events/meetings in the game, I can totally see why if a remaster of Shenmue eventually comes out, they need to include a wait option.

Killing time singing and playing guitar... those guys are great! :-D

Top Bottom