• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

That's cool that it does have some extra little story lines/quests. Don't remember running into any of that when I played sadly.

This episode is the best because of Vinny and his guitar. The singing is so good ; ;

For the most part, Shenmue 1 isn't really the type of game you rush. It's a game you play at a relaxed pace. This kind makes it both the best and the worst choice for an ER. It's the best choice because we get episodes like today's, but it's also the worst choice because it's a game about sitting back and just enjoying yourself and this is an endurance run.

This was the BEST episode. It's funny how much better Dan sounded when he was doing an impersonation. Also, he was definitely exaggerating with his ignorance of Frozen much like I do with Dragonball Z. Like I have never seen that show ever and would never want to watch it, but you really can't completely get away from it with pop culture.

I'll be honest and say I like the waiting sections of Shenmue 1, and although I have the option to skip ahead time in II, I never do (besides the one occasion where you're forced to). I like the fact you can't skip ahead in I not only because it forces you to start interacting with the game world, but also because it takes power out of the players hands. The majority of games are all about giving the player power of control. It's interesting to have a game where the player is forced around the games own set of rules. The result is that you feel kinda powerless in Shenmue and I enjoy that feeling because it's such a rare one in video games. For that reason, I understand why it's not for everyone and as said earlier, this is one of the main features that factors into Shenmue's philosophy of being anti-game. This is why Shenmue rarely has middle ground and you either love it or hate it. We will not find any middle ground on this topic but it's interesting to view peoples varying reactions to it.

I personally love it, but I tend to love games that take control away from the player (such as Animal Crossing, assuming you don't change the system clock to warp through time, or Dead Rising or Majora's Mask). I'm also very big on games that require patience. I dunno, Shenmue just ticks all my boxes. I can totally understand why people don't like it though.

BOTEC

I haven't watched the episode yet, but from reading the comments it sounds like they flip out about having to wait for the next day? Why is this a problem? In-game time flows quickly, and there is other shit to do. If you can't see the benefit of wasting an entire day in the arcade, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call your "gamer" cred into question fellas.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but from reading the comments it sounds like they flip out about having to wait for the next day? Why is this a problem? In-game time flows quickly, and there is other shit to do. If you can't see the benefit of wasting an entire day in the arcade, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call your "gamer" cred into question fellas.

Players don't want to wait. They want all of the control. Shenmue is in a way, a personality test. It's fascinating.

BOTEC

Players don't want to wait. They want all of the control. Shenmue is in a way, a personality test. It's fascinating.

Yeah. It's a damn shame that that also informs so much modern game design. No one has the balls to make games that take control away from the player anymore. They don't make 'em like they used to. I never thought I'd be the old man pining for games of yore, but here we are.

Yeah. It's a damn shame that that also informs so much modern game design. No one has the balls to make games that take control away from the player anymore. They don't make 'em like they used to. I never thought I'd be the old man pining for games of yore, but here we are.

You have a Neo Geo avatar, friend.

And yeah, I don't like modern games. I think they're trash with rare exceptions. I genuinely think this generation is terrible but opinions and everything. Haha.

Strax

Taking away control is worst thing a game can do imo.

I don't think they flipped out because they had to wait, I think they were annoyed because it meant little to no new content for a 50 minute episode.

I thought it was fucking hilarious though lol

Taking away control is worst thing a game can do imo.

This is why we have such a schism. I think taking control away is a great thing and makes a better game.

It'd be interesting if we rounded up Shenmue fans and Shenmue haters and polled whether or not they find taking control away from the player makes a better or worse game. I think you'll find a lot of Shenmue fans will agree that it makes a better game, while people who hate Shenmue thinks it makes a worse game.

We have completely different philosophies on game design. I already know my tastes are niche though. There's a reason why games I love like Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter never took off. I love a great game where the player has to work with the game and can't control every tiny aspect.

I think Deadly Premonition was the last game I played like that? I'm not sure. It's been a long time.

Lijik

I dont have time right now to type out the long response I want to, but I do want to suggest to Cindi to check out else.heartbreak() and Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor

They've had some bad breaks with the run that's caused them to have to spend more time waiting than I think most playing the game will encounter. I really feel like the travel agency should have been open until 10 to miminize this sort of thing should it happen. But they're almost to disc 3 where the game is really streamlined.

Zafir

I think if you're going to do that kind of world where everyone has a schedule, you do need to put some kind of waiting system in. At least give people the choice of waiting or moving on.

I mean I do like some of the side stuff in the game, but I'm not a fan of the idea of having to wait. I like being able to do things when I want to do things. If I want to progress with the story, then I should be able to do that. First and foremost it's a game for entertainment. Not a life simulator.

I'm glad they did rectify it in the sequel.
This is why we have such a schism. I think taking control away is a great thing and makes a better game.

It'd be interesting if we rounded up Shenmue fans and Shenmue haters and polled whether or not they find taking control away from the player makes a better or worse game. I think you'll find a lot of Shenmue fans will agree that it makes a better game, while people who hate Shenmue thinks it makes a worse game.
Well, I already broke the mold of that, lol.

Well, I already broke the mold of that, lol.

Don't mistake me saying this would fit for every Shenmue fan. I just think that a lot of them would agree.

I dont have time right now to type out the long response I want to, but I do want to suggest to Cindi to check out else.heartbreak() and Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor

Make a longer response later. I'd like to read it and thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think a waiting system is the right answer either. I think a good balance between schedule and having player agency is what's needed here. I personally have no problem waiting and 'smelling the roses' in Shenmue, I do however see it as a problem from a pacing perspective.

Dead Rising is a good example of a game that adheres to a waiting schedule and giving you lots of relevant things to do at the same time.

I love the original Shenmue, but I think more side quests would have mitigated a lot of the issues people have with the schedule stuff.

I don't think a waiting system is the right answer either. I think a good balance between schedule and having player agency is what's needed here. I personally have no problem waiting and 'smelling the roses' in Shenmue, I do however see it as a problem from a pacing perspective.

Dead Rising is a good example of a game that adheres to a waiting schedule and giving you lots of relevant things to do at the same time.

I love the original Shenmue, but I think more side quests would have mitigated a lot of the issues people have with the schedule stuff.

The only time I think the pacing is bad in I is on disc 1 when looking for Charlie. Having to wait for the tattoo parlor to open depending on when you do it, is a bit bothersome. Other than that, it's smooth sailing to me.

Dead Rising has a better balance because beyond the survival gameplay motif it's ultimately a hack and slash. In Shenmue you can't start random fights with people because that's not Ryo's personality. Shenmue II is the better comparison because it offers so much more stuff to do and see while waiting. 1 is a lot more tight but I find it fun.

I don't think more side stuff would have mitigated much. The GB crew are barely interacting with the side stuff as is.

I think the main crux is that they don't find the stuff interesting. I'm sure that III with its fishing job, will be a lot more enticing for a lot of people. Hopefully. Maybe.

BOTEC

The only time I think the pacing is bad in I is on disc 1 when looking for Charlie. Having to wait for the tattoo parlor to open depending on when you do it, is a bit bothersome. Other than that, it's smooth sailing to me.

Dead Rising has a better balance because beyond the survival gameplay motif it's ultimately a hack and slash. In Shenmue you can't start random fights with people because that's not Ryo's personality. Shenmue II is the better comparison because it offers so much more stuff to do and see while waiting. 1 is a lot more tight but I find it fun.

I don't think more side stuff would have mitigated much. The GB crew are barely interacting with the side stuff as is.

I think the main crux is that they don't find the stuff interesting. I'm sure that III with its fishing job, will be a lot more enticing for a lot of people. Hopefully. Maybe.

Funny thing happened to me when I was looking for the Tattoo parlor in my play through. I made a bee line for it since I had already found it by randomly exploring the town, and the guy told me to come back the next day. I came back the next day the cut scene with the sailors happened like usual, the guy even asked me "can I help you?" even though he told me the day before that if I wanted the meat Charlie I needed to come back the next day. It's like I was too fast for the game, and they needed time to set the scene up.

It turns out Giant Bomb is a time paradox.

Vinny is actually Jeff from the past.

The Shenmue ER is the origin story of why Jeff hates video games and especially hates Shenmue.

At some point in the future Vinny is going to discover time travel.

HeeHo

I'm a bit sour the way this episode ended. Feels like a dick move by leaving a static screen for 15-20 mins and then saving once they reach the next day and ending the episode.

I'm all for ERs though.

Vinny has played the arcade games before and bought a lot of capsules. Feeding the cat and playing the slot machine wouldn't really kill much time. Vinny got Sonic 1 and it was funny at the time and now its time to move on.

Lets be real for a moment, this is on youtube and even though you might like to play Space harrier for hours, and do another load of capsules, I nor the viewers or GBeast want part 16 to be mostly Vinny playing Space Harrier again. It was neat to see them play excite qte hang on and space harrier for a while in previous episodes but please don't start saying "hell couldn't they play slot machine, fed the cat, talk to some NPCs or play some more space harrier. Just about every NPC says "not now". You have to accept some of the games issues.

LiK

I'm a bit sour the way this episode ended. Feels like a dick move by leaving a static screen for 15-20 mins and then saving once they reach the next day and ending the episode.

I'm all for ERs though.

Did you skip Dan's performance?

I'm all for ERs though.

What, did you have it muted or something? The last half of today's installment was better than anything the game itself has given us thus far!

Vinny has played the arcade games before and bought a lot of capsules. Feeding the cat and playing the slot machine wouldn't really kill much time. Vinny got Sonic 1 and it was funny at the time and now its time to move on.

Lets be real for a moment, this is on youtube and even though you might like to play Space harrier for hours, and do another load of capsules, I nor the viewers or GBeast want part 16 to be mostly Vinny playing Space Harrier again. It was neat to see them play excite qte hang on and space harrier for a while in previous episodes but please don't start saying "hell couldn't they play slot machine, fed the cat, talk to some NPCs or play some more space harrier. Just about every NPC says "not now". You have to accept some of the games issues.

The appeal of capsule toys isn't just getting one. It's getting an entire set. It's not different from furniture in Animal Crossing. The game has an random variable on what you can get and it's fun to collect them. It's fun to go out every day and use the sling shot to see what you'll get. Will it finally be what you need to complete your set? Capsule toys work similarly. Just buying a capsule toy isn't fun. Obsessively completely a set though? The funnest. This is why there are multiple toy machines. There are multiple sets to complete. When I play Shenmue, I can sit at a single toy machine for an entire in game day trying to get that one single toy. There are some toys are really, really rare and the only way or best way to get them is through the raffle at stores. That shit is fun as fuck. To me at least. The appeal of toys isn't getting a single Sonic toy. The appeal is getting every single Sonic toy in the game. In II, this has actual utility because you can sell sets for cash.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Taking control away from the player is fine if it has a reason. Just saying "come back in X hours" for no goddamn reason at all is just plain bad design. It's not like the game has been chasing them around so they needed a slower section to catch their breath. There is, simply, no reason why the game demands you to wait. Because you can already explore and feed cats and hit A in front of capsule machines whenever you want.

patapuf

Taking control away from the player is fine if it has a reason. Just saying "come back in X hours" for no goddamn reason at all is just plain bad design. It's not like the game has been chasing them around so they needed a slower section to catch their breath. There is, simply, no reason why the game demands you to wait. Because you can already explore and feed cats and hit A in front of capsule machines whenever you want.

Fixed schedules can be fun, but the player has to have interesting to do aside from the main objective, and imo, shenmue is lacking that.

It also works better if a game is less linear and more sandboxy. Having to wait 15 minutes because that's the only way you can progress.... isn't great. Or for something more linear, i thought Majora's Mask did a decent job with fixed schedules.

openrob

"......She is such a nice girl......."
I'M GOING TO HONK KONG

Ahhh...I know that the way things worked out they had to 'waste' a day, but two things.

Firstly, this video made me realise how well this game evokes an ACTUAL role play. These guys FELT that frustration. Ryo, meh, he is a blank canvas, but damn, these guys were frustrated to hell, and that was funnier to watch, than a scripted amination of Ryo getting pissed.

Secondly, there is stuff to find and explore, I mean the moment that they left the room they triggered a cut scene, things are just not obvious in the game.

kiguel182

They didn't do anything else because they don't like doing those things. Because they aren't that interesting. They bought a bunch of capsules already, maybe they don't care for collecting them all.

Making you wait wouldn't be bad if the game had interesting stuff to do or had ways to skip it. It doesn't.

Playing guitar was definitely better than wasting time at the arcade.

Even as a huge Shenmue fan I can't defend the waiting lengths. Shenmue 2 does away with it and it doesn't hurt the experience in the least.

When I played it again last year, initially I went and trained with the fighting system or played Space Harrier. Soon after I moved onto playing a iPhone game as the game ran.

Phu

Banned
The capsule machines are just a slots variant which is the most boring form of gambling for people who are already not big on gambling.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
With proper time-management you don't have to wait (that is, stand still). The Asia Travel Company told you that you have to come back at a certain time. What do you do until then? Here's a possible routine:
  • Have conversations with people at the town and ask them what they think about that travel agency; most of them will share with you some anecdotes about their experience with it and/or the bad rumours they have heard about it.
  • Buy food and go feed the kitty, which you/Ryo care about (it will recover faster, and you'll be happy to see it getting well).
  • Go buy scroll moves from the Bunkado Antique shop. Open them to learn new moves.
  • Go to a park/parking-lot to train and advance your (new) moves.
  • Go to the You Arcade to have fun by playing a game of your choice.
  • Finally, around 19:45, go home; Save the game, and then Sleep (you can sleep after 20:00).
(a lot of other activities have been omitted)

The time will fly by as you patiently immerse-yourself/invest-your-attention in this world.

These things are not interesting? Then stop playing this game; it's not for you. It's based on real-world-standards and it's a new/different kind of entertainment for certain people (but certainly not few).

Read more...
ygk3_Vvx.png

Top Bottom