• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

If they weren't so dumb at the end of the previous episode they wouldn't have to wait like this.

lpshen_48_47trip.gif

orient

Neo Member
Wow, Chai hate. He's one of the most memorable characters in the series. I think they did a good job of making him creepy and mysterious; he's certainly way more interesting than
Terry
and the baffoons that are the
Mad Angels

There's plenty of mystical undertones, as well as other dumb, cartoony characters, so Chai never felt out of place to me.

Zafir

You know they opened a Five Guys relatively near me. Must have started expanding outside of the US as I'd never seen one before.

Boy is it expensive here though. I just don't see it as an option in comparison to Burger King, KFC or Mcdonalds due to it's pricing.

Spaghetti

not having a wait option is dumb

does shenmue 2 have it?
Yes, when it comes to story specific stuff you need to wait for. You can't just phantom cigar your way through days, however.

I have to wonder if there was a technical reason it couldn't be done in the first game. I was watching a rundown of a late Beta version of the game and the guy explained that advancing time via debug could cause issues.

Either way- I cannot wait to see Vinny's breakdown later tonight.

Zafir

With so much stuff to f*** around they chose to wait it out??

Well I mean if they don't like the side stuff....

I'm surprised they didn't just turn off recording, leave the game running for 40mins and then start up recording again when they can do the event. I guess it goes against the idea of an endurance run but like, I'm not sure many people would begrudge them for doing so lol.

Edit: Just as I said that, it's pretty much what they did, except not cutting the cam, hah.

Zaph

I'm now convinced more than ever that Shenmue isn't actually a game and instead some type of experiment like Cow Clicker.

zelas

Wow, fuck this game. So many "good" ideas except those that would have actually made the act of playing it enjoyable. All this aspiring to be realistic except in some of the most obvious ways.

Kiske

If they weren't so dumb at the end of the previous episode they wouldn't have to wait like this.

It's not fair to say that. How could they know they would have to come back for their ticket?

Ah yes it was the player's fault not bad game design

I would not call it "bad game design".
Yu Suzuki had a very radical vision of Shenmue's world. At the end of the day, it was probably a mistake, but at least he designed the game respecting his vision of a "free" world.
That said, they listened to the players feedbacks with Shenmue 2 including the wait option and the ability to save anywhere at any time in the game.

Man, when they get to the forklift job, it's going to be... glorious :-D

PS. They should use this waiting time to improve their "Karate" moves... they will need them badly later on.

Sakwoff

The best about this might actually be Shenmue zealots getting legitimately upset at this episode. The youtube comments are something.

I love Giant Bomb.

Zafir

PS. They should use this waiting time to improve their "Karate" moves... they will need them badly later on.

Nah.

You can beat the game without training. You can beat the game without utilizing most of the fighting mechanics too. It's only really
Chai
that can be a bit of a pain.

Zaph

I would not call it "bad game design".
Yu Suzuki had a very radical vision of Shenmue's world. At the end of the day, it was probably a mistake, but at least he designed the game respecting his vision of a "free" world.
That said, they listened to the players feedbacks with Shenmue 2 including the wait option and the ability to save anywhere at any time in the game.

Man, when they get to the forklift job it's going to be... glorious :-D

Bruv, that's bad design. Most bad games are built with good intentions.

This is pretty unfair, they were supposed to come back in '3-4 hours' and were right there from three and a half hours forward, but then the damn place closed before enough time could pass to trigger the next event. Unfortunate, but it's entirely a consequence of the game's design, not the players.

Alex: "What the fuck are you doing?"
Vinny: "I think we're opening a portal to hell."

--

Dan "is this oasis" Ryckert
(holy shit Vinny's voice is so far off for Let It Go)

Surta

Yeah, it's RNG though so you may have to buy quite a lot of items at the Tomato or Abe store.

They haven't even been inside Abe store yet, and I doubt they ever will be. They found it on a map and mentioned it in one of the previous episodes, but of course promptly forgot about it again.

Spaghetti

Did they not go to the arcade with what was left of Ryo and Fuku-san's savings?

Man. I have burned hours and hours of real time on Space Harrier alone since it came out on 3DS.

It's an adventure game. If you're willing to explore and talk to NPCs you'll find extra plot lines, items and things to do. They have to be willing to deviate a little from the "main quest".

I've played through both Shenmue games and I'm confused on what constitutes extra plot lines or things to do here. Petting a cat? Talking to the guy at the jeans store? Playing Hang On until you have a brain hemorrhage?

It's an empty experience filled with ridiculously awful characters. They need to bring their guitar with them more often just to make it through.

God help them when they get to forklift week

Surta

Looking at all of Ryo's fighting moves and doing some training would be interesting to me. Or visiting places they haven't been to, like the Abe store or Nagai Industries...

Top Bottom