• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Kiske

Nah.

You can beat the game without training. You can beat the game without utilizing most of the fighting mechanics too. It's only really
Chai
that can be a bit of a pain.

Well okay, you can beat the game with "buttons smashing" technique, but it's much more rewarding and fun to use the moves you've learned and mastered.

Bruv, that's bad design. Most bad games are built with good intentions.

I understand why people hate this "realistic" waiting thing, but I actually liked it. Not that I like to do boring things... it just did make sense to me the first time I played Shenmue.

I did not have fun in every part of Shenmue like I don't have fun during every moment of a movie I like. This doesn't mean I don't get emotions from those moments and it doesn't mean I don't appreciate the experience of the whole game.

So how far are they from the end? If Shenmue really is just the prologue part, it seems like they're pretty close to the end.

I don't know about that, they haven't even gotten into a fork-lift yet, and I get the impression that's a not-insignificant amount of play time.

Curufinwe

Nope. Instead they did something more amazing than any side thing in Shenmue.

Is there any way to make money during downtime?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh boy ...

I'd like to thank all of you for whom this will be your last episode with us. We truly understand and wish you the best.

Can't wait to see what this is all about ..

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
whaaaat the fuuuuckkk lol

Vinny is singing let it go in a shenmue endurance run .. oh man I'm crying and laughing at the same time .. this is too good to be true.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maybe the best part about this episode are the youtube comments. Some dude wrote an entire master's thesis. The most fun I've ever had reading Youtube comments.

Maybe the best part about this episode are the youtube comments. Some dude wrote an entire master's thesis. The most fun I've ever had reading Youtube comments.

I know they are great

"These guys suck theres so much stuff to do"

"Like what?"

"Insert huge list of utterly uninteresting shit to do"

Im so glad i was never tempted to buy this game back when i had a dreamcast. It looked uninteresting to me then as well.

Anyway, vinny singing let it go. Amazing stuff.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh my god, Vinny is singing Let it Go. My girlfriend is going to laugh her ass off when she wakes up. Frozen has permeated so many facets of her life, whether intentionally or not lol

Jintor

i'll be honest i'm sad someone spoiled that this would happen yesterday

BEAST's reaction though... I don't think anyone could ever spoil that

FStop7

Banned
Did this fucking guy fall out of a different game?
I thought Shenmue was supposed to be a serious (if badly acted) revenge story.
Then this fucking cartoon character flies in!

hqdefault.jpg

What? The game literally opens with Lan Di wanting his magic mirror back.

So much stuff to do? In Shenmue? Where? What? How?

Almost all the most interesting side stuff happens organically when you're exploring around the town. Like when
Nozomi defends a kid from bullies and you have to save her in the park
or
When Ryo helps the lunch stand lady with her younger sister who's fallen in with a rough crowd.
Among other unique side events for lack of a better phrase.

Other than that they can train, spar, play arcade games, play slots, do a raffle, call friends, take care of chibi ( about 4 or 5 "events" surrounding the cat as well). Some of those NPCs do say cool things that flesh out the world too. Like the florist by the tobacco shop competing with Nozomi's store, etc.

I get why people think it's bad design & there's gonna be no redemption for it if you're not into the world of the game in general. Because of the stilted VA or otherwise. Being that every hour is ~ 4 min I would kill most my time on Space Harrier & Hang-On alone.

Although, I've never had a run with as many bad breaks as the ED.

Nah.

You can beat the game without training. You can beat the game without utilizing most of the fighting mechanics too. It's only really
Chai
that can be a bit of a pain.

It's gonna be a harder than it should be if you don't at least train your moves at night. This really hindered a friend of mines run. Also you definitely can beat the game without knowing any of the best moves, but its much harder to win fights reliably.

It's an adventure game. If you're willing to explore and talk to NPCs you'll find extra plot lines, items and things to do. They have to be willing to deviate a little from the "main quest".

Is this true or is this dude just talking shit? Because I've played Shenmue and there is seriously nothing else to do in this game except go to the arcade. There are separate quests/plot?

Is this true or is this dude just talking shit? Because I've played Shenmue and there is seriously nothing else to do in this game except go to the arcade. There are separate quests/plot?

There's some minor stuff like feeding the cat and buying capsules and whatnot. Calling them "side quests" would be making too much out of them.

There are definitely "side quests"/ events, yeah. There's no quest giver telling you when and where to fulfill them. They happen organically as you explore the world. I don't think it's possible to play through the entire game without at least seeing some of them.

No, he's right. There's the arcade, but also capsule collecting, the slot house, a lot of npc interaction you wouldn't otherwise know about unless you followed the game, like the romance between Kurita and Yurika. There's a lot of hidden scenes too that you won't see unless you seek them out. They managed to get one yesterday with the mirror. A lot of this stuff fills the game up with a lot of detail and gets you attached to it.

kiguel182

From Dan asking if he could say French fries are his favorite vegetable to the singing this was the best episode so far.

I love GiantBomb.

That's cool that it does have some extra little story lines/quests. Don't remember running into any of that when I played sadly.

This episode is the best because of Vinny and his guitar. The singing is so good ; ;

Does anybody have time stamps for anything that happens after he first looks at his watch? I'd rather not wait for 30 minutes if I don't have to.

Edit: And just as I type that, they come back around the 33 minute mark.

Top Bottom