• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

LMAO

The fucking Destiny jab when they're getting capsules and got the same one but slightly different.

"My daddy makes delicious bread, but I like pizza better"

"YOU ARE A TRASH CHILD"

dan2026

I'm surprised they even have you fight people in real time when the fighting is such jank.
You would assume they would just QTE it like the other action bits.

N.A

Banned
I'm surprised they even have you fight people in real time when the fighting is such jank.
You would assume they would just QTE it like the other action bits.

The fighting is fine for 1999. Shenmue II's battle system I would even say is good. I had a lot of fun with it.

Maligna

Banned
Have they found the Abe store in this run?

I was playing last night and I won the 2nd place prize from the draw there. It's a capsule toy of the Sega President from the "What's Shenmue" disc. He looks way more detailed than the regular capsule toys. I think he'd the actual model they used in the game, which is weird 'cuz it just looks like a little hand held human being.

orient

Neo Member
Just realised they haven't learned any fighting moves from NPCs yet.

I really wanted them to get the cut-scene of Ryo
beating up those bitchy school girls
because it is true insanity and they would lose their shit.

Well there it is folks. The infamous Shenmue raffle that people kept suggesting as a thing they could be doing instead of running around. What a barn burner.

Scratch that off the Shenmue bucket list.

Spaghetti

I assume people wanted them to do the raffle so they could win the Saturn games. Not that it matters all that much.
I don't think people wanted a whole episode of trying to beat the raffle, just some engagement with it during the downtime; which we got, and was an entertaining little diversion.

Admission: I love moving crates in 1 with the forklift. I always make it my goal to get as many crates as I can. I find that fun. Oh my quota is 8 crates? Well I'll deliver 13! Love it.

Spaghetti

Admission: I love moving crates in 1 with the forklift. I always make it my goal to get as many crates as I can. I find that fun. Oh my quota is 8 crates? Well I'll deliver 13! Love it.
Same. It's pretty easy to just switch off and get into it.

It helps that you've got events most afternoon shifts/after work and sometimes at lunch.

First two days of work are like... two fights a day plus a handful of move instructions.

Dineren

Banned
I've always enjoyed that section as well. I wasn't a huge fan of forklift racing though. Having to purposely lose the race to get the different forklift capsule toys always bugged me, even though I still do it every replay.

Not only is the forklift fun but it's the most action packed part of the game. It rocks.

Stop hating. They're my two favorite games. What do you expect of me?!

I expect you to say outlandish shit like claiming that operating a forklift is the most action packed part of a game with the entirety of Space Harrier in it.

daydream

Banned
Not only is the forklift fun but it's the most action packed part of the game. It rocks.

tumblr_mxmn7trwRO1qeuiqyo1_400.gif

Spaghetti

I've always enjoyed that section as well. I wasn't a huge fan of forklift racing though. Having to purposely lose the race to get the different forklift capsule toys always bugged me, even though I still do it every replay.
Ehhhh, I don't think anybody playing it for the first time will win first place right out of the gate, so I'm not that bothered by the decision.

Stop hating. They're my two favorite games. What do you expect of me?!
I wouldn't bother engaging with posts like that. They're only meant to provoke.

Same. It's pretty easy to just switch off and get into it.

It helps that you've got events most afternoon shifts/after work and sometimes at lunch.

First two days of work are like... two fights a day plus a handful of move instructions.

I love lunch break and talking to all the co workers. Like the dude who was fired and has to sustain a job for his family. Or the fact you find out that guy who works at Tomato has two jobs. Dude hustles. Wasn't there talk that the setting of Yokosuka is set up to demonstrate the first signs of Japan's bubble burst? Isn't Yokosuka going through economic downturn then? A lot of shop keepers are struggling to stay in business and a lot of the guys at the docks work there because they really need the money. Haven't gone through and seriously dissected that element of the story. Thoughts?

I expect you to say outlandish shit like claiming that operating a forklift is the most action packed part of a game with the entirety of Space Harrier in it.

I didn't say operating the forklift is the most action packed part of the game. The forklift bits are interspersed with fight after fight after fight. The slow burn of Shenmue 1 climaxes with disc 3. It's great and my favorite disc in the game.

Dineren

Banned
Considering how Chai beat the crap out of Ryo in the Arcades, they should spend some time training...

I always train quite a bit and still feel like I barely beat him. I think he is hard no matter what you do (or I'm just terrible at fighting).

Didn't you say Disc 2 was your favourite?

Anything is better than disc 1 but I love the part in the basement. Disc 2 has a lot of highs for me, between the basement and the world building on the mirror. But disc 3 has the best stretch in the game. Disc 3 is where the game either clicks or....well...it doesn't.

Considering how Chai beat the crap out of Ryo in the Arcades, they should spend some time training...

Training sucks in 1. Doing the same move over and over in an empty parking lot is atrocious.

Spaghetti

I love lunch break and talking to all the co workers. Like the dude who was fired and has to sustain a job for his family. Or the fact you find out that guy who works at Tomato has two jobs. Dude hustles. Wasn't there talk that the setting of Yokosuka is set up to demonstrate the first signs of Japan's bubble burst? Isn't Yokosuka going through economic downturn then? A lot of shop keepers are struggling to stay in business and a lot of the guys at the docks work there because they really need the money. Haven't gone through and seriously dissected that element of the story. Thoughts?
I think the dude working two jobs is kinda great; he's got the only bad voice acting that works for the character. Sounds exactly like an exhausted, bored teenager trying to make a wage. But yeah, it's a nice bit of background texture finding out about your co-workers.

But yeah, Yokosuka in Shenmue is like a classic example of Japanese towns that suffered from economic downturn. That's why a lot of stores are shut up, why only the red light district is thriving, etc. I think a poster on here did a good little series about stuff like that around the time of the Kickstarter last year on Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves space.

Spaghetti

Did they change it in 2? I don't really remember the training in it at all.
Training with
Jianmin
is the training surrogate, along with the street fights you unlock later on, but you don't really need to train in II because of the frequency of the fights and the XP you win off those.

Did they change it in 2? I don't really remember the training in it at all.

You train with Jianmin. It's fun to hit him (very rare). Moves train so much faster in 2 as well. When you get to Kowloon you can go to the
street fights
and haul ass. Training in 1 is actually good when you can spar with Fuku but you can't after a certain point and it sucks.

In III you must have a training partner. If it's a solo thing again I'll tear my hair out. I want daily sparring with a martial artist. What southern Chinese Kung fu style would be good for sparring?

Top Bottom