• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Dineren

Banned
Training with
Jianmin
is the training surrogate, along with the street fights you unlock later on, but you don't really need to train in II because of the frequency of the fights and the XP you win off those.

Ah that's right. Shenmue 2 generally keeps you pretty busy so I've never really thought about it.

You train with Jianmin. It's fun to hit him (very rare). Moves train so much faster in 2 as well. When you get to Kowloon you can go to the
street fights
and haul ass. Training in 1 is actually good when you can spar with Fuku but you can't after a certain point and it sucks.

In III you must have a training partner. If it's a solo thing again I'll tear my hair out. I want daily sparring with a martial artist. What southern Chinese Kung fu style would be good for sparring?

Yeah I remember it now. I really need to play through 2 again, it's been way too long.

I think the dude working two jobs is kinda great; he's got the only bad voice acting that works for the character. Sounds exactly like an exhausted, bored teenager trying to make a wage. But yeah, it's a nice bit of background texture finding out about your co-workers.

But yeah, Yokosuka in Shenmue is like a classic example of Japanese towns that suffered from economic downturn. That's why a lot of stores are shut up, why only the red light district is thriving, etc. I think a poster on here did a good little series about stuff like that around the time of the Kickstarter last year on Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves space.

The guy with the blue jean jacket has the WORST VOICE OMG.

Ree yoh.

Oh my god Yu did you pick this guy off the street or what??

Spaghetti

In III you must have a training partner. If it's a solo thing again I'll tear my hair out. I want daily sparring with a martial artist. What southern Chinese Kung fu style would be good for sparring?
A partner would be nice, but considering the game takes place over three geographical locations that might not be easy.

Then again, III is supposedly taking a more traditional RPG approach to experience and skills, so there will probably be new methods of gaining fighting XP that we've not seen in the series previously.

For example, they could do a QTE training sequence with a wooden dummy.

Kiske

Training sucks in 1. Doing the same move over and over in an empty parking lot is atrocious.

Well, it's still useful and I remember spending more than a reasonable time in a parking lot training my favorite moves. (The XP increasing of the moves was a good incentive, imo)

PS. Always found practising my Karate Katas boring to be honest :p

Spaghetti

The guy with the blue jean jacket has the WORST VOICE OMG.

Ree yoh.

Oh my god Yu did you pick this guy off the street or what??
Japan is a haven for bad English speaking voice actors. If you can speak the language natively you basically become instantly qualified to do English voice acting in Japan.

Which is weird, considering Eric Kelso lives in Japan and gives the best English performance in the series as
Ren

Well, it's still useful and I remember spending more than a reasonable time in a parking lot training my favorite moves. (The RPG like increasing of the moves effectiveness was a good incentive, imo)

PS. Always found practising my Karate Katas boring to be honest :p
The training with Fuku-san is a more entertaining training method, IMO. Shame you can only really do it during a limited period, but I can see why you wouldn't be allowed to do it on Disk 2 and 3 given the stuff with the puzzle solving in the Dojo, and the hours of the forklift job.

Japan is a haven for bad English speaking voice actors. If you can speak the language natively you basically become instantly qualified to do English voice acting in Japan.

Which is weird, considering Eric Kelso lives in Japan and gives the best English performance in the series as
Ren

The training with Fuku-san is a more entertaining training method, IMO. Shame you can only really do it during a limited period, but I can see why you wouldn't be allowed to do it on Disk 2 and 3 given the stuff with the puzzle solving in the Dojo, and the hours of the forklift job.

Can you spar with the old man on Disk 2 & 3? I'm pretty sure he mentions something about being in an abandoned warehouse sometimes.

dlauv

Can you spar with the old man on Disk 2 & 3? I'm pretty sure he mentions something about being in an abandoned warehouse sometimes.

You can train in the warehouse alone. I'm not sure if you can trigger and event or not. Old man teaches you
moves
tho.

Spaghetti

I've never actually found him him in the warehouse at lunch, I'm curious if anyone else has.
I don't think you can. I've never seen him anyway.

It's kind of pointless training of Disk 3, though, because of the frequency of the fights. Even if you've never engaged with the training before, the XP out of the story fights should at least put you up to intermediate on most moves and see players through to the endgame stuff pretty easily.

Spaghetti

Spar? That's a full on death match. Hardest fight in the series.
Damn right.

I was doing that side quest the other night and I got my ass beat so many times. Sarah's moveset in VF is pretty damn hardcore, let alone when applied to high level and aggressive AI like they did with
Izumi
in Shenmue II.

I still had fun though. It was cool that I had to decide between "hit and move" tactics and straight up getting in her face with strategic use of the dodge/counter button, risking the punishing QTE sequence each time. TBH, the QTE method is easier, because the command never changes, and when you know it's coming you can complete it pretty easily. She also totally crumbles against stuff like the Double Storm Kick. Dat Akira moveset.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Poor Vinny dies a little bit more on the inside each time the game asks him to come back the next day ..

its so glorious

Watching the episode and I gotta say going to the harbor just to get a job to find the Mad Angels is fucking stupid and the guys are right. Worst Christmas ever.

You train with Jianmin. It's fun to hit him (very rare). Moves train so much faster in 2 as well. When you get to Kowloon you can go to the
street fights
and haul ass. Training in 1 is actually good when you can spar with Fuku but you can't after a certain point and it sucks.

What? You can HIT him???.?

"Meet me at noon tomorrow -"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Dl0ldHf.gif

ahahahaha

"Don't listen to him."

Guys. The npc at 10:12.

WHO IS THAT.

I've never seen him! His voice is so creepy too! Like he sounds like a serial murderer or something. What the fuck!

I die right with him because fuck this game for making me come back tomorrow for everything. If I were the boss of every douchebag in this game who asked folks to come back tomorrow for the simplest fucking task I'd fire them

Chuck

Still without luck
I love the shenmue defenders that refuse a timeskip idea will go and suggest you instead go and talk to all the people in town to pass time.

The ones that ALL tell you to kindly go fuck yourself.

So I was looking at another Shenmue run, and apparently Goro (pompadour dude) suddenly becoming your pal can actually happen way earlier in the game: GBE got into New Warehouse 8 by pushing a box and sneaking in through a second floor window, but if you spend the day just exploring the harbor and come back the next day, then Goro will appear, start acting all chummy, and will help Ryo by distracting the guards outside so Ryo can slip in.

There's also a bit where if you go to the lunchbox stand, you'll see some squabble between the woman running it and her younger sister. You can talk to the lunchbox woman and offer to help her with her sister running with the wrong crowd. Track them down and you'll find her hanging out with the mean schoolgirls in the blue sailor uniforms. One of them comes at Ryo with a fucking razor blade, and Ryo responds by disarming her and karate chopping her in the fucking neck. Then he tells the sister to be more considerate toward her older sister, and when you go back to the lunchbox stand, the owner will mention she delivers lunches to the old warehouse district, but there's always 12 lunches even though there are 10 guards (the other two are for Chen and Gui Zhang, I guess?) Ryo offers to deliver the lunches and it automatically cuts to a scene of him going to that front gate with the guard in the shack, overhearing the times when he has to come in and do the stealth sequence.

I noted this because apparently both Goro and the sister show up together on Disk 3 so if you're wondering who the random girl is, there you go

(Also wow, they really did miss a bunch of Nozomi scenes)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I love Alex' naivety, thinking they can somehow circumvent waiting another day by searching the foreman.

I assume that's not how it works.

I love the shenmue defenders that refuse a timeskip idea will go and suggest you instead go and talk to all the people in town to pass time.

People also told them to do that raffle thing and look how much fun that turned out to be!

Um.

II already has a time skip feature and pretty much all of us think 1 would be better with it.

Also, no one is saying the game couldn't use a time skip feature. Just that because it doesn't allows an opprtunuty to explore the game. It's definitely a flaw but one you deal with as you play the game. Either you grit your teeth and try to push forward or you accept it, take it slow and allow the games pace to sink in.

So I was looking at another Shenmue run, and apparently Goro (pompadour dude) suddenly becoming your pal can actually happen way earlier in the game: GBE got into New Warehouse 8 by pushing a box and sneaking in through a second floor window, but if you spend the day just exploring the harbor and come back the next day, then Goro will appear, start acting all chummy, and will help Ryo by distracting the guards outside so Ryo can slip in.

Whoa, never knew about that Goro bit. And yeah, they've missed about every Nozomi scene they could.

There's also a bit where if you go to the lunchbox stand, you'll see some squabble between the woman running it and her younger sister. You can talk to the lunchbox woman and offer to help her with her sister running with the wrong crowd. Track them down and you'll find her hanging out with the mean schoolgirls in the blue sailor uniforms. One of them comes at Ryo with a fucking razor blade, and Ryo responds by disarming her and karate chopping her in the fucking neck. Then he tells the sister to be more considerate toward her older sister, and when you go back to the lunchbox stand, the owner will mention she delivers lunches to the old warehouse district, but there's always 12 lunches even though there are 10 guards (the other two are for Chen and Gui Zhang, I guess?) Ryo offers to deliver the lunches and it automatically cuts to a scene of him going to that front gate with the guard in the shack, overhearing the times when he has to come in and do the stealth sequence.

I noted this because apparently both Goro and the sister show up together on Disk 3 so if you're wondering who the random girl is, there you go

I've karate chopped the girls - posted the scene earlier - but never delivered the lunches. Neat.

It's pretty damn outstanding.

Apparently goty edition is already out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K6010FM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Welp.

I'm already busy with a long rpg (DQ7) so I'll get it in December. It better be good!
I'm sure it is.
I really wish CPR would put Witcher 2 on ps4.

I sold my 360 but have a bone zone.

Poetic Justice? Maybe I'll buy the copy from the 360 marketplace and just find a way to play it.

My suggestion?

Psst. Come here so Emcee doesn't see.

Emulate the dreamcast version.

Spaghetti

They got so close to that stuff. Like within touching distance of triggering it. Oh well.

I didn't know the thing about Goro. Actually, I've recently been finding out there are more alternative progression paths/failure states in both games than I'd realised.

Like, the opening quest of Shenmue II. I knew the quest would continue/change dynamically to three paths depending on success or failure in certain parts, but I didn't realise you could fail certain parts within those paths and pick them up again another way. Sounds weird, but this video kind of explains it better.

Top Bottom