• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan has never had ketchup on a hotdog? WHAT

Also watching Dan tap the tank to make it move was frustrating to watch. Why couldn't they give the tank regular Kirby controls. Even 2 stars is too much for this game!

But they were MEAN. They didn't say they loved our shitty looking game! MEAN.

Oh the irony.

i hope we get a Vinny quick look of Dragon Ball Xenoverse, if only because there's supposed to be a Yamcha dying pose as an emote and as a special attack

also because it's literally about making your own stupid overpowered dragonball OC you made when you were 10 and beating up every character

I got really excited when I heard that Xenoverse has dumb alternate DB history stuff like Budokai 1, but then I watched a video and it looks like it plays like those horrible Tenkaichi games.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
QL of The Order going up tomorrow morning

96mSpD4.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This post is a good example of the undeserved vitriol The Order brings it out in many gamers for reasons I can't explain.

The game looks terrible, and every positive impression makes me think either "This game sounds absolutely terrible" or "This person didn't even try to mention the gameplay".

I'd be fine with it being terrible in a vacuum if it were easier to ignore the asinine statements they keep making about it. But if they want to keep talking about their awful game, so will I.

It's weird that people are getting stuck on the price thing when that's not even the main reason Dan gave it a low score. It's like there's some residual resentment from the Captain Toad review or something.

people were upset because he thought $40 was too much? i just read his review and i've been eyeing the game for some time now and $40 does seem a tad too steep. even $35 would make it that much more enticing.

Due to attending university my schedule is quite busy and the only job that is flexible enough in regards to hours is one that pays minimum wage. As a result I have to work quite a few hours just to get some spending money for my free time, so I appreciate reviews that factor in price since it's a pretty big consideration for me. I like to hear if a game is worth the asking price at the time of release. If down the line it's discounted it's not that hard to read the review and make a judgement on if the new price sounds good to you.

i feel like price should always be a key factor in determining whether or not something is worth your time (and money).

Definitely. Maybe it's not as large of a consideration for a Wired author, he has a steady paying job, but I have very limited funds, I would like to know if a game is worth the price I would pay for it. I appreciate reviews like Dan's that consider it, it's probably a pretty big deal for him too since he's a pretty frugal guy.

Due to attending university my schedule is quite busy and the only job that is flexible enough in regards to hours is one that pays minimum wage. As a result I have to work quite a few hours just to get some spending money for my free time, so I appreciate reviews that factor in price since it's a pretty big consideration for me. I like to hear if a game is worth the asking price at the time of release. If down the line it's discounted it's not that hard to read the review and make a judgement on if the new price sounds good to you.

i feel like price should always be a key factor in determining whether or not something is worth your time (and money).

Liamc723

The game looks terrible, and every positive impression makes me think either "This game sounds absolutely terrible" or "This person didn't even try to mention the gameplay".

I'd be fine with it being terrible in a vacuum if it were easier to ignore the asinine statements they keep making about it. But if they want to keep talking about their awful game, so will I.

We get it, you don't like The Order: 1886. Move on.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
We get it, you don't like The Order: 1886. Move on.

It's the topic of discussion. You can go elsewhere if you don't want to read it, or put me on ignore, or just skim over posts until you see people exclaiming how great it is that they modeled every individual mustache fiber and how that makes a difference in the game. I've never once started talking about the Order in any thread, including this one.

I think the Order looks awful. I think the developers are upset that everybody doesn't love their game despite how they ignore every single complaint and just waive it off as not valid (Weird how saying NUH UH doesn't actually counter any arguments). And they're over the line by trying to play the victims and say they're being bullied. If these things become the topic of discussion because somebody brought it up, I'll air my feelings about them as is the entire purpose of a discussion thread.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If I have a choice between a 60 hour game and an 8 hour game, I'm taking the 8 hour one every time. Most long games these days are full of filler and useless tasks. The obsession with open world just pushes me away from new games and towards older, focused game.

I never buy games at 60 bones, though.

Massa

I expect a review to tell me how good a game is, what it does well and what it does poorly. From that each person has to decide whether it's worth their time and money. Everyone's values are different so it's impossible to expect a review to satisfactorily answer to everyone in those respects.

I expect a review to tell me how good a game is, what it does well and what it does poorly. From that each person has to decide whether it's worth their time and money. Everyone's values are different so it's impossible to expect a review to satisfactory answer to everyone in those respects.

I expect that as well, but a review is not going to be objective. Every review is subjective, Jeff can say he doesn't think a game is good but I might think it is. How is that any different from Dan saying he doesn't think a game is worth the money? A reviewer is giving their opinion of a product and why they think that, and then we make our own decision based on that. Dan saying that he doesn't think it's worth the money is no different from him saying he doesn't like a mechanic, it's a subjective thing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think my favorite part about the Order threads is people pretending this treatment is unique, when it's the exact same sort of reaction that Titanfall was getting last year leading to release.

I'm sure that's just a complete coincidence that these people are missing the obvious comparisons though.

If I have a choice between a 60 hour game and an 8 hour game, I'm taking the 8 hour one every time. Most long games these days are full of filler and useless tasks. The obsession with open world just pushes me away from new games and towards older, focused game.

I never buy games at 60 bones, though.

If you think you won't be repeating stuff in video games you better sit down because I have some bad news for you... Doubly so if you're referring to The Order.

Liamc723

It's the topic of discussion. You can go elsewhere if you don't want to read it, or put me on ignore, or just skim over posts until you see people exclaiming how great it is that they modeled every individual mustache fiber and how that makes a difference in the game. I've never once started talking about the Order in any thread, including this one.

I think the Order looks awful. I think the developers are upset that everybody doesn't love their game despite how they ignore every single complaint and just waive it off as not valid (Weird how saying NUH UH doesn't actually counter any arguments). And they're over the line by trying to play the victims and say they're being bullied. If these things become the topic of discussion because somebody brought it up, I'll air my feelings about them as is the entire purpose of a discussion thread.

I do agree that the whole bullying thing is pretty stupid, but it's not like I'm 100% positive on the game either, I have problems with the game's length which lead to me reconsidering if I want to buy it at full price or not.

It just seems that with comments such as "every positive impression makes me think either "This game sounds absolutely terrible" or "This person didn't even try to mention the gameplay".", you absolutely will not listen to any other opinion because they have obviously forgotten about every awful problem with the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I do agree that the whole bullying thing is pretty stupid, but it's not like I'm 100% positive on the game either, I have problems with the game's length which lead to me reconsidering if I want to buy it at full price or not.

It just seems that with comments such as "every positive impression makes me think either "This game sounds absolutely terrible" or "This person didn't even try to mention the gameplay".", you absolutely will not listen to any other opinion because they have obviously forgotten about every awful problem with the game.

No, I'm saying that the positive impressions don't give a damn about the gameplay, and care far more than I ever will about the technical graphics quality. If I didn't care about the impressions I wouldn't have bothered looking for positive talking points to see if there might be even a remote reason for me to play the game. The most in-depth compliment I've seen about the gameplay is 'The gameplay is solid, the guns feel stronger than Uncharted".

... Wow. Stronger guns than Uncharted, the home of the weakest guns in fictional firearm history. That sure sells me on a game.They also generally continue to talk about braindead AI and simple encounters. These are the positive opinions.

I think my favorite part about the Order threads is people pretending this treatment is unique, when it's the exact same sort of reaction that Titanfall was getting last year leading to release.

I'm sure that's just a complete coincidence that these people are missing the obvious comparisons though.

It's frankly kinda annoying. People act like console warriors on both sides all the time but then act like a victimized group as soon as it goes the other way. Look in any NPD thread and you'll see Xbox and Wii U being trashed by Playstation fans, but in The Order thread you have people claiming that it's hard being a Playstation fan when they're always being attacked. Happens the other way too, Xbox/Nintendo fans attacking wherever they can and then going "woe is me!" when it's turned around. I don't browse GAF as much as I used to since people seem a lot more vicious this console cycle than the last. Can't people just chill and enjoy the games that come out rather than trashing games/consoles they don't like?

Liamc723

No, I'm saying that the positive impressions don't give a damn about the gameplay, and care far more than I ever will about the technical graphics quality. If I didn't care about the impressions I wouldn't have bothered looking for positive talking points to see if there might be even a remote reason for me to play the game. The most in-depth compliment I've seen about the gameplay is 'The gameplay is solid, the guns feel stronger than Uncharted".

... Wow. Stronger guns than Uncharted, the home of the weakest guns in fictional firearm history. That sure sells me on a game.They also generally continue to talk about braindead AI and simple encounters. These are the positive opinions.

Well The Order is clearly focusing on its presentation, graphics and story so of course that's what people are going to discuss most. If you value gameplay over all of these, then the game doesn't really have much for you.

I won't be able to comment on gameplay until I buy the game on Friday, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into, a cinematic experience.

You could still get that information from the review if it didn't take the cost into account as you can look at the positives and negatives in the review and determine if you believe it to be worth the cost.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you think you won't be repeating stuff in video games you better sit down because I have some bad news for you... Doubly so if you're referring to The Order.

Games in general. I have no real interest in The Order other than as a rental down the line. Lots seem to be morphing into getting Ubisoft'd with useless fetch quests, experience points, and padding to unknown lengths. If the game is fun and keeps my attention the whole way through, that's the most important thing.

You could still get that information from the review if it didn't take the cost into account as you can look at the positives and negatives in the review and determine if you believe it to be worth the cost.

I could, but how does the review mentioning cost hurt? If a reader disagrees with the reviewer he/she can decide differently. Dan knows the cost of the game and has played it and his opinion is that it's not worth the price, someone else might read what he wrote and disagree with him. It's not like he focused just on the price, he explained his thoughts on the game for an entire review and mentioned cost at the end.

I find it funny how two sentences of a review spark a whole conversation like this.

it only did so because of the game it's for, but still

Eh it was more the person on twitter that sparked it.

Aaron

Reviews mainly serve as buyer guides, despite what the intentions of a reviewer might be, and most consumers are very sensitive to price. Dan is serving the will of the people.

I could, but how does the review mentioning cost hurt? If a reader disagrees with the reviewer he/she can decide differently. Dan knows the cost of the game and has played it and his opinion is that it's not worth the price, someone else might read what he wrote and disagree with him. It's not like he focused just on the price, he explained his thoughts on the game for an entire review and mentioned cost at the end.
I don't think it hurts the review but I also don't think it adds much either, we know from the review that Dan doesn't think it's a good game so it's safe to say he would advise against paying full price.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't think it hurts the review but I also don't think it adds much either, we know from the review that Dan doesn't think it's a good game so it's safe to say he would advise against paying full price.

Not necessarily. That they mention it at all means it was a consideration. Reviewers very often have no idea how much a game costs because they didn't have to pay for it. It's nice when they think about the fact that most people actually need to give money to play the games.

Megasoum

Banned
So all that Read Dead Redemption talk in the bombcast really makes me want to do another playthrough of that game....

Thing is, I don't want to dig out and plug back my old white 360 that sounds like a jet engine everytime I boot it...ugh... Why aren't 360s under 100$ by now? It's ridiculous.

Hmmm... How was the PS3 version of the game? I still have a PS3 plugged in so that could be an alternative... Also did they swap any of the controls around compared to the 360 version (swapping the shoulder buttons like they often did). I would play the PS3 game with my 360 controller so when they actually swap the shoulders it becomes a big pain in the ass (I'm looking at you Uncharted 3....sigh)

Edit: Holy shit, that game is still 30$ (or 40$ if you want the dlc too) on PSN? Come on

Edit2: Ok so 20$ for the GOTY edition at EBGames...not as bad even if I would have prefered digital.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So all that Read Dead Redemption talk in the bombcast really makes me want to do another playthrough of that game....

Thing is, I don't want to dig out and plug back my old white 360 that sounds like a jet engine everytime I boot it...ugh... Why aren't 360s under 100$ by now? It's ridiculous.

Hmmm... How was the PS3 version of the game? I still have a PS3 plugged in so that could be an alternative... Also did they swap any of the controls around compared to the 360 version (swapping the shoulder buttons like they often did). I would play the PS3 game with my 360 controller so when they actually swap the shoulders it becomes a big pain in the ass (I'm looking at you Uncharted 3....sigh)

Edit: Holy shit, that game is still 30$ (or 40$ if you want the dlc too) on PSN? Come on

Edit2: Ok so 20$ for the GOTY edition at EBGames...not as bad even if I would have prefered digital.

I haven't heard of this as a widespread problem so it could have just been me, but I played the PS3 version and stopped because my save got glitched and I couldn't finish a mission. Wasn't able to find any way around it and I just stopped playing well before the ending.

Megasoum

Banned
I haven't heard of this as a widespread problem so it could have just been me, but I played the PS3 version and stopped because my save got glitched and I couldn't finish a mission. Wasn't able to find any way around it and I just stopped playing well before the ending.

Ah great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom