• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeeeah I'm getting a weird vibe from Dan, like he's simultaneously not taking it serious and taking it too seriously.

I'm starting to think GB D&D games are just boring/awkward in general. Which is a bummer considering how entertaining it can be when it's done well (like the McElroys' podcast).

The Adventure Zone. Same campaign but actually good

Yeah. They have the benefit of recording only audio for 4 hours, and editing out the crap, down to 1 hour.

That said, it's really great.

Anyway, let's be optimistic and constructive. Dan and Brad at least read this, and so the best way to improve what we watch (if that's your goal), is to be cool about it.

Those last 20 mnutes of the stream were fan-fucking-tastic. Dan really turned Heel and just pissed everyone off. Except Danny. He can brood with his ears.

Despite Dan inciting infighting, I'm really excited to see more. They need to move forward though, otherwise they will never finish the game.

The Adventure Zone. Same campaign but actually good

Yeah. They have the benefit of recording only audio for 4 hours, and editing out the crap, down to 1 hour.

Anyway, let's be optimistic and constructive. Dan and Brad at least read this, and so the best way to improve what we watch (if that's your goal), is to be cool about it.

That's great! I really adore those McElroys.

Mr. F

Banned

True. I'm fine with them continuing and optimistic that they might get into the swing of it, but when it doesn't look like they're enjoying being there themselves it makes it less fun to watch. Also, I appreciate Rorie's stepping in as DM again, but I think the game would be better off with a scenario/ruleset he was more familiar with and if he took a more active role in reigning things in when they got off tangent. Drew and Danny were trying, at least.

It's a feature that has potential for great moments, but more often than not it becomes a confused jumble of tangents and messing around with no real progress.

ArjanN

I'm a bit confused.
The Dan/Brad bit was really the only interesting thing that happened.
Do people actually think this would be better if they played it straight?

It's a feature that has potential for great moments, but more often than not it becomes a confused jumble of tangents and messing around with no real progress.

But the weird tangents are the best parts, they're obviously not going to play enough D&D to make 'real' progress anyway.

D&D is all about the random crap you can do that fits your character. Like wrestling a dragon in midair, and pinning its wings in midair.

Pretty much, if you want to play it straight you might as well just play a cRPG like Baldur's Gate 2 and let the computer handle all the boring stuff.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm a bit confused.

The Dan/Brad bit was really the only interesting thing that happened.

Do people actually think this would be better if they played it straight?

Nah, but there's a happy medium between not playing it straight while encouraging forward progress, imo. Or "Vinny," for short.

Kurdel

Banned
That Dan Ryckert death stare was amazing.

vOke20.gif

ArjanN

Nah, but there's a happy medium between not playing it straight while encouraging forward progress,

Eh, sure, ideally Rorie should have just pretended to roll some dice and said "Dan noticed you stealing and cuts off one of your hands as punishment, dexterity -2. On with the quest!".

G-Pink

A few suggestions for Rorie if he ever reads this thread, (after writing this, good god I didn't mean it to be this long).

• You've GOT to read the Player's Handbook, and know it inside and out. It's the minimum a DM can do, to be completely encyclopedic about the rules, especially when it comes to things as basic as death rolls, spell slots, and the specific traits and abilities of the PCs in the campaign.
  • Quash infighting immediately, it leads nowhere in the long run, and contributes very little to character/quest progression. Some of it is ok, but it slows the game down sooo much.
  • Create some specific house rules, and stick to them. A few that would help this campaign specifically include; pool the party gold (it's clear that would solve a lot of issues); no stealing from other players (might have been fun this time, but it can quickly cause animosity with people who aren't used to roleplaying); and stabilization with any healing at all will cause a character to immediately wake up, instead of having to wait 1d4+2 hours to gain HP and wake up.
  • Just keep the game moving. A fast moving campaign will flesh out characters at the exact same rate as a slow moving campaign, without the risk of anyone getting bored. Find a really quick way for you to get through numbers and enemy turns in a battle, and when you run through a couple mock battles that way and get really good at flying through turns, you can add embellishment to it, and at that point, you're not saying things like "The goblin advances, swinging his hammer *rolls, waits* and hitting you forrrrrr *rolls, waits* 5 + 1 is 6 damage.", you're saying things like "The goblin, looking enraged as he approaches, raises his rusty hammer above his head, bringing it down on your breastplate, denting it into your torso for 6 damage.
  • Cheat sheets are your friend. Keeping info like PC: AC, HP, Passive Perception, and Passive Insight in front of you, as well as super quick enemy cheat sheets, like Attack and Damage Bonuses, allow you to get into the groove mentioned earlier.

Frith

Like i said above, they edit out 3 hours worth of dullness.

do they? i thought griffin said they record in 4 hour chunks then chop it up in to episodes.

otherwise its not edited it doesn't sound edited its one continuos conversation they are just pro as fuck and have been running a life long improv class in their house.

do they? i thought griffin said they record in 4 hour chunks then chop it up in to episodes.

otherwise its not edited it doesn't sound edited its one continuos conversation they are just pro as fuck and have been running a life long improv class in there house.

Nah, I remember him saying they edit out all of the rule clarification and stuff. They record in chunks, but a ton is edited out. One of the episodes, (2 or 3 maybe?) has some pretty obvious seams in the audio.

Ugh! I hate that the close the chat down when a stream is done. I had the stream paused so that when my dinner was finally done, i could sit down and watch it, but now that I'm ready, the chat's closed and the paused stream is gone once the page refreshed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom