• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
he said play a game, not look up a youtube playthrough

3013583_o.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
Haven't watched much content in the last week or two, besides the Lucius quick look what else should I check out? (I haven't finished Sons of Drewberty so no MGS3 yet).

Dat MGS3.

Much like Drew, this will be my first time seeing this game. I've never really been one for the Metal Gear series except for Rising. What a start, though.

LiK

Lots of adventure games and visual novels are about story and they're awesome. Please don't be ignorant about it.

Dat MGS3.

Much like Drew, this will be my first time seeing this game. I've never really been one for the Metal Gear series except for Rising. What a start, though.

MGS3 is so fantastic. I love that game to death and it's my favorite metal gear. Seems like minority opinion but I like the big boss timeline more than the present one. Even if I don't like Peacewalker.

Zornack

Lots of adventure games and visual novels are about story and they're awesome. Please don't be ignorant about it.

I've played through 999, VLR, Danganronpa 1 & 2 and some Ace Attorney in the last year and a few of those have become some of my favorite games of all time. What are other good ones? The only thing I have left on my list to check out is Corpse Party.

after watching the chaos and confusion cause by BB in the first video no one here can deny that solid is definitely a clone of that guy. they're both the most murderous "sneaking" operatives in the history of stealth missions.

I've played through 999, VLR, Danganronpa 1 & 2 and some Ace Attorney in the last year and a few of those have become some of my favorite games of all time. What are other good ones? The only thing I have left on my list to check out is Corpse Party.

GHOST TRICK. PLAY GHOST TRICK.

But other than that. Depends how much Ace Attorney you played. I can recommend all the games, but I'm really fond of 3 (Trials and Tribulations) and 5 (Dual Destinies).

Also, Ever17 and Remember11 are visual novels written by the same guy who did 999 and VLR. Ever17 is a much slower grind though and from what I hear Remember11 has some issues, especially with its ending, but they're both pretty damn good. There's also the Steins;Gate VN coming to Vita I think this year as well and I hear awesome things about that.

Zel3

When I go to Giant Bomb, any of the interesting content is locked behind a subscription. Maybe I should become a a member, I've been visitng GB less and less.

daydream

Banned

Ghost Trick and the remaining AAs. The rest can't hang.

When I go to Giant Bomb, any of the interesting content is locked behind a subscription. Maybe I should become a a member, I've been visitng GB less and less.

You will have a huge backlog of awesome content if you haven't gone Premium before. So, so worth it.

Bacon

Honestly, just buy the monthly plan for $5.00 and see if you are interested in what they are providing to subscribers. If you aren't into it then you can cancel and only be out a small sum of money. Or you can sub for a month, download a bunch of old premium stuff that they have done in the past and have a lot of cool content to go back and watch.

Corgi

Banned
@DanRyckert 52m52 minutes ago
After the first episode of Metal Gear Scanlon 3, I think I need to teach @drewscanlon the basics of CQC when I get into the office.

hope they do it irl in the office.

Motosada_Mori_CQC.jpg

Their premium stuff is by far the best. Watching UPF's on Friday after a long day of work makes it so much better.

And don't even get me started on their Mario Party videos.

Zel3

Honestly, just buy the monthly plan for $5.00 and see if you are interested in what they are providing to subscribers. If you aren't into it then you can cancel and only be out a small sum of money. Or you can sub for a month, download a bunch of old premium stuff that they have done in the past and have a lot of cool content to go back and watch.

I might do that. Before they had the Endurance Run and a lot of Office Videos and that wasn't locked behind a paywall. Without a subscription Giant Bomb is kind of pointless. I hear the Mario Party videos are great.

hmmm forgot MGS was a premium thing. were the other Let's Plays free?

No

Also Everybody should subscribe

It is like the wwe network

but better

I might do that. Before they had the Endurance Run and a lot of Office Videos and that wasn't locked behind a paywall. Without a subscription Giant Bomb is kind of pointless. I hear the Mario Party videos are great.

Trust me the backlog is worth the price

Get a month and try things out!

Wh...why did Dan just tell Drew about the time paradox instead of just telling him to kill Ocelot so he could see it himself :(

I still think MGS3 is the worst Metal Gear but it is probably going to suit Drew the most so it should be a fun series.

Corgi

Banned
MGS3... not sure how it ranks gameplay or storywise (hated the lack of story of the bosses, and how all the awesome story bits/reveals pretty much happen after you beat the last boss).

I do think its the best game of the series to play stealth. Crawling around in cameo feels so great here. The jungle setting really helps.

MGS1-2 I felt like im a video game man in a video game world. MGS3 I felt like im actually on a sneaking mission. MGS4 I felt like im playing a 3rd person call of duty 4. PW felt like monster hunter with MGS controls slapped on. GZ felt like a 80's Stallone action movie.

sjack

Banned
idk... did people really play p4 for the garbage story? Played it for the characters and 'living the highschool life' aspect, the story did nothing for me.

Still a monument of storytelling compared to P3's paper thin EVA fanfiction dreck of a story.

LiK

aside from what was suggested already, check out Steins;Gate. AMAZING story but it's a pure VN. you basically read the whole thing with some minor choices that affect alt endings. But it's awesome.

if you're itching for an adventure game, check out the Blackwell series.

Bacon

Man, I tried playing mgs3 on my vita a month ago and I dunno. I felt like everything was so blurry and I couldn't make the guards out from against the background. Then I got to some damn bee boss and that was frustrating as shit and I quit.

Oh and I couldnt use the dpad to sneak on the vita. I kept seeing guides online telling people to use the dpad to sneak but that wasn't working for me. Don't know if I needed to change a setting or something?

Excited to see Drew play it because I'll not be able to finish it.

Seventy70

MGS3... not sure how it ranks gameplay or storywise (hated the lack of story of the bosses, and how all the awesome story bits/reveals pretty much happen after you beat the last boss).

I do think its the best game of the series to play stealth. Crawling around in cameo feels so great here. The jungle setting really helps.

MGS1-2 I felt like im a video game man in a video game world. MGS3 I felt like im actually on a sneaking mission. MGS4 I felt like im playing a 3rd person call of duty 4. PW felt like monster hunter with MGS controls slapped on. GZ felt like a 80's Stallone action movie.

I agree. The thing I really liked about MGS 1 and 2 was that it put you in one setting and let you explore it. Those are the games you can play at night with headphones on and be completely immersed in the atmosphere. You could pick up the games after a year ans still remember where all the items and weapons are. It was pure gameplay. After 2, everything just became too open and they changed it in ways that were just different. I think something was lost when they put the camera behind the player and let them control the camera. I still remember playing and loving MGS 2 and thinking, "I haven't even played the best one yet!", but then I played 3 and it was kind of a disappointment.

MGS 1 and 2 were more "arcadey". MGS 3 and on became too limiting.

My ranking is:
MGS 2
MGS 1
MGS 3
MGS 4

sjack

Banned
Oh and I couldnt use the dpad to sneak on the vita. I kept seeing guides online telling people to use the dpad to sneak but that wasn't working for me. Don't know if I needed to change a setting or something?

You hold down the L button to sneak on the vita. If you're having trouble spotting guards, I recommend using the therm goggles. As for the Pain, I recommend run and gun tactics. Shoot him a couple of times, and once he sicks his bees on you, jump and dive in the water and then climb on another platform. If he uses his hornet shield, just throw a smoke grenade at him.

sjack

Banned
I agree. The thing I really liked about MGS 1 and 2 was that it put you in one setting and let you explore it.

This is a baffling comment considering MGS 3 is one of the most explorable and dense games in the series. Most of the "exploring" in previous entries boiled down to constant backtracking. Big Shell was also extremely sterile, linear and boring to look at.

Drew seemed to be really into all the cold war stuff in MGS3, he was just sitting there watching all the long cutscenes without any commentary. This series is going to be good!
Man, I tried playing mgs3 on my vita a month ago and I dunno. I felt like everything was so blurry and I couldn't make the guards out from against the background. Then I got to some damn bee boss and that was frustrating as shit and I quit.

Excited to see Drew play it because I'll not be able to finish it.

I played through the game on the Vita a while back and seeing the game like this it's like a whole new game. I almost want to play it again on the big screen (but can't with the systems I have).

Seventy70

This is a baffling comment considering MGS 3 is one of the most explorable and dense games in the series. Most of the "exploring" in previous entries boiled down to constant backtracking. Big Shell was also extremely sterile, linear and boring to look at.

That's what I think the problem was. It was just too dense and open. In 1 and 2 you could memorize where everything was and the game rewarded you for it. A certain amount of linearity is needed for a game to be fun. The simplicity of 1 and 2 was gone with 3. The game was bloated with stuff like hunting and camo. 4 went even further and ditched simplicity altogether.

sjack

Banned
That's what I think the problem was. It was just too dense and open. In 1 and 2 you could memorize where everything was and the game rewarded you for it. A certain amount of linearity is needed for a game to be fun. The simplicity of 1 and 2 was gone with 3. The game was bloated with stuff like hunting and camo. 4 went even further and ditched any simplicity altogether.

The openness and ability to approach each area through a different way is when the series really started to appeal to me gameplay wise. It's what made 3 and the first 2 acts of 4 so great. You can approach both those game in a straightforward manner anyways, you don't really need to engage on a lot of the systems (and MGS 4 streamlines a lot of the ones in 3 anyway). Your wounds automatically heal a majority of the time, and you can pretty much just use DPM to carry you throughout the majority of the game. If you carefully arrange your inventory in the beginning, you'll only have to open the backpack on certain moments in the game where it requires you to use a specific item.

MGS 1 and 2 are infiltration missions based around fortresses. they're really maze-like and mostly contained to one area.

MGS3 is basically the stealth-anime version of Heart of Darkness. It makes the previous entries seem like child's play.

Seventy70

The openness and ability to approach each area through a different way is when the series really started to appeal to me gameplay wise. It's what made 3 and the first 2 acts of 4 so great. You can approach both those game in a straightforward manner anyways, you don't really need to engage on a lot of the systems (and MGS 4 streamlines a lot of the ones in 3 anyway). Your wounds automatically heal a majority of the time, and you can pretty much just use DPM to carry you throughout the majority of the game. If you carefully arrange your inventory in the beginning, you'll only have to open the backpack on certain moments in the game where it requires you to use a specific item.

Fair enough, but the main problem I have with most stealth games is when there are too many ways to approach a situation and it can become intimidating. The thing I liked about 1 and 2 is that they kept the encounters simple. There were only a couple of different ways to approach something. When a game throws so many ways to approach enemies at you, I kind of lock up and just try to bruteforce it.
I just really enjoyed the simplicity of 1 and 2. I think they did stealth in the best way. When I went on to 3 I was like, "Oh.....this is just another stealth game."

sjack

Banned
Fair enough, but the main problem I have with most stealth games is when there are too many ways to approach a situation and it can become intimidating. The thing I liked about 1 and 2 is that they kept the encounters simple. There were only a couple of different ways to approach something. When a game throws so many ways to approach enemies at you, I kind of lock up and just try to bruteforce it.

I kind of know what you mean. There's an archaic, old school Konami-style appeal to the first games. They're the kind of games ideal for speed-running.

LiK

I don't remember much issues with the hunting and injuries feature of the game. Camo was fun to mess around with, iirc. it's not that bad. the UI is a bit cumbersome tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom