• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant bomb "dot com" official thread 12 - anime + waluigi discussion webzone

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There's no way anyone on his gaming enthusiast site is enjoying this game I don't like. They are clearly being paid off"

I genuinely despise these kinds of people. 9/11 truthers of videos games they are.

Sincerely didn't believe this. Then I found it. "Ellie" is basically a low rent Paige. Tons of piercings. Everywhere. I'm not OK.

On topic, I agree the Evolve QL was strangely positive. Only Drew seemed normal. But I did like the format of getting all of GB involved in one QL.

Brashnir

"There's no way anyone on his gaming enthusiast site is enjoying this game I don't like. They are clearly being paid off"

I genuinely despise these kinds of people. 9/11 truthers of videos games they are.

Sure, it's annoying, but it's nowhere near as nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying as the people who just can't handle that people on a game site don't like a game that they like enough.

Myggen

Sure, it's annoying, but it's nowhere near as nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying as the people who just can't handle that people on a game site don't like the game they like enough.

A lot of people just don't like games journalists, and in many cases they can't win. In "what do you want from games journalism" threads on forums you often see people wanting more honest opinons, less pre release hype and "using the whole scale" when reviewing games. But if you do that, a lot of people will get very angry at you for saying something bad about a game they haven't played yet (the Uncharted 3 review thread is one of the most embarrassing threads on GAF). If you're too positive, people will brand you a shill. Case in point is Justin McElroy's "Skyrim hype" video, which pretty much still gets mentioned every time someone talks about him here on GAF:

untitled-322x4e.gif

You're supposed to at the same time show that you're not cynical and not be too enthusiastic about shit. It's an impossible line to walk. As long as you're being honest about stuff, that's enough for me.

patapuf

Almost any game is fun to play with friends, that's the trick.

Plus Mary just oozes positivity, it's catching.

I'd say that's a tad reductive. Yes, a lot of crap is fun when friends are around, but it's also obvious why team based games that focus on actual teamwork benefit a lot from playing with an actual team.

Not every game lends itself to lone wolfing. That doesn't mean they are "crap games"

I played nine hours of Evolve just as the three monsters and at no point was I ever bored or unchallenged as I found new players who used different tactics. Game is incredibly intense as a monster and it's one of the best gaming feelings in recent memory when you win as you just bested four other people all working together all on your own. Given the diversity in the classes it's something I feel I'll be playing for a while when I finally decided to take a break from being the hunted.

Not sure why people feel a game needs a campaign to be worthwhile, obviously if you dislike multiplayer games stick to such things. There aren't that many games that focus on coop like Evolve and it's always great to have games doing different things.

Edit: And everyone from gamespot outside of Danny talk like soulless PR mouthpieces.

LiK

Went back to watch Costume Quest 2 QL and disappointed Alex didn't get the combo mechanic at that point. It made the combat so much more fun. He would've had better things to say about the combat during it. Oh well. Fun discussions tho.

Xater

I played nine hours of Evolve just as the three monsters and at no point was I ever bored or unchallenged as I found new players who used different tactics. Game is incredibly intense as a monster and it's one of the best gaming feelings in recent memory when you win as you just bested four other people all working together all on your own. Given the diversity in the classes it's something I feel I'll be playing for a while when I finally decided to take a break from being the hunted.

Not sure why people feel a game needs a campaign to be worthwhile, obviously if you dislike multiplayer games stick to such things. There aren't that many games that focus on coop like Evolve and it's always great to have games doing different things.

Edit: And everyone from gamespot outside of Danny talk like soulless PR mouthpieces.

I was bored by the Evolve beta after a little bit of an hour. It all felt too samey from match to match. Not interesting at all.

Oxirane

It's the best cricket game in a long time. Don't see what's weird about people buying it.

Net practice in this game can be really relaxing.

Hopefully the GB dudes take another look at it, mainly to try the first person mode they missed last time as well as for someone to explain the need to appeal for dismissals.

I was bored by the Evolve beta after a little bit of an hour. It all felt too samey from match to match. Not interesting at all.
There's such a huge diversity in the subclasses and monsters themselves that you're constantly having to keep on your feet. For example, one of the medics has a heal gun in addition to a healing burst whereas one has no healing gun but instead brings characters back from the dead entirely! As the monster you have to be able to determine what abilities are being used and who to focus on. Teams with better synergy will have the medic and support shield/heal each other while the assault uses his brief shield ability. Lot to take into account and it's certainly never samey.

Not sure what was in the beta, only played the alpha!

LegoArmo

I'd say that's a tad reductive. Yes, a lot of crap is fun when friends are around, but it's also obvious why team based games that focus on actual teamwork benefit a lot from playing with an actual team.

Not every game lends itself to lone wolfing. That doesn't mean they are "crap games"

Personally, I think Evolve looked really fun, I'd have been positive too. I'm just saying for the people who may think it was over the top, that could be a reason why.

My only issue is with finding a group to play with like that.

Xater

There's such a huge diversity in the subclasses and monsters themselves that you're constantly having to keep on your feet. For example, one of the medics has a heal gun in addition to a healing burst whereas one has no healing gun but instead brings characters back from the dead entirely! As the monster you have to be able to determine what abilities are being used and who to focus on. Teams with better synergy will have the medic and support shield/heal each other while the assault uses his brief shield ability. Lot to take into account and it's certainly never samey.

Not sure what was in the beta, only played the alpha!

I played the bet and had access to a lot of the characters during Gamescom. They didn't switch it up for me enough.

I played the bet and had access to a lot of the characters during Gamescom. They didn't switch it up for me enough.
*shrug*
I've played for 10 hours, 9 of which has been as a monster and I never felt bored or that I wasn't learning new tactics or a trick in which to better hunt. For example, as the wraith using a decoy to send the team off and sneaking around the back and using the teleport latch to steal the medic away and quickly dispatch of them. There's really a lot to the game. It's all good though, different strokes for different folks.

What is up with the video quality of the west crew though? They have such a huge studio in comparison to east that you'd think they'd be able to get it better. Just looks horrid in the evolve quick look.

my guess is that the limited color palette in that game isn't playing well with whatever they use to compress the video. it looks fine in the non-gameplay parts.

Xater

Alright D&D 5E book is on it#s way to me after all. Had to get from the UK because prices here were a bit too much. If people want to play we would still need a DM because I can't do that. I never even played one of these games.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Here is my biggest problem with Evolved: I only have one friend who would play it with me.
Every single time I relied on randoms in team focused games (like Payday 2 ) it ended in disaster. So even if I wanted to play the game I probably wouldn't.

Myggen

Here is my biggest problem with Evolved: I only have one friend who would play it with me.
Every single time I relied on randoms in team focused games (like Payday 2 ) it ended in disaster. So even if I wanted to play the game I probably wouldn't.

Yup, I could play the monster by myself, but the other side seems like it requires so much coordination that having a good experience with randoms will be a rare occurrence. So, since I don't have any friends who'll play the game, I won't buy the game. It's a shame because it looks fun to play with a regular group of friends, just like Left 4 Dead.

Alright D&D 5E book is on it#s way to me after all. Had to get from the UK because prices here were a bit too much. If people want to play we would still need a DM because I can't do that. I never even played one of these games.

Honestly, as my group's DM, it's not that hard. You just need to read the rulebook (or understand at a shallow level most of the concepts) and then embellish. A DM's job is to be a story teller and guide things along. If someone lands a hit don't just say "you attack and do 5 damage", say "Your sword rips into the enemy goblin, drawing blood and dealing 5 damage" or what not. You help the players become immersed in the sandbox. It can be daunting but it becomes easier with practice.

popo

"You know, Ellie, we really are The Last of Us."

Where does that line come from? I saw a topic on here where some guy referenced it and it was just pages of people telling him he made it up. Is that the reference, because it seems to have become a meme?

tchocky

sounds like we might be getting a Dan/Drew indie horror QL at 9 PST today. Well, I'm assuming Drew is involved.

Hope it is Drew, I love watching him and Dan play terrible indie horror games and going by this tweet it's pretty bad.

Dan Ryckert said:
If you want to see us do a Quick Look of a real fucking turd of a game, we've got you covered at 9am Pacific tomorrow.

Where does that line come from? I saw a topic on here where some guy referenced it and it was just pages of people telling him he made it up. Is that the reference, because it seems to have become a meme?

You know popo, we really are the weekend GB GAF.

Xater

Honestly, as my group's DM, it's not that hard. You just need to read the rulebook (or understand at a shallow level most of the concepts) and then embellish. A DM's job is to be a story teller and guide things along. If someone lands a hit don't just say "you attack and do 5 damage", say "Your sword rips into the enemy goblin, drawing blood and dealing 5 damage" or what not. You help the players become immersed in the sandbox. It can be daunting but it becomes easier with practice.

Are the basic DM rules comprehensive enough?

I dunno, Dan's enthusiasm in Evolved did come across as slightly forced to me. Likewise, Mary was stiff and sounded too much like PR, the same way she did when they had her on the couch playing Evolved a few months ago. And honestly, the game doesn't look all that great.

Myggen

I dunno, Dan's enthusiasm in Evolved did come across as slightly forced to me. Likewise, Mary was stiff and sounded too much like PR, the same way she did when they had her on the couch playing Evolved a few months ago. And honestly, the game doesn't look all that great.

I think that's just her being too much in GS mode still (and having the role as a "coach" in a QL will probably make you sound a bit like a PR person, since that's pretty much the role they have when instructing players in videos), but I didn't get the feeling that Dan's enthusiasm was forced at all. Like, why would Dan of all people fake enthusiasm for a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom