• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salarians

watching a good "old" video

Snake is Dan's waifu.
4NiWEsS.jpg

Also I saw Fate of the Furious and whew lads, that is a fun ass video game ass movie.

It's like how can we top this shit we've already done? Oh, this movie for sure.

Might be in my top 3.

I wonder what Jeff's strategy was. Having never played it, the tactic that makes the most sense to me is getting a weapon and bolting to the very center of the safe zone, then turtling up and waiting for people to approach you. Like Jeff said, the easiest place to get shot is the big, empty zones.

Like, any equipment shortfalls will be made up the moment you get your first kill. That person will have done all the gathering for you.
Yeah, it comes down to personal tastes... It's just maddening when it's boiled down to its arbitrary core. It sounds so, like, arbitrary.

...Hopefully Kojima's spell on Dan will be released after Death Standing comes out.
Is Morgana meant to be cute? I'm still on the first dungeon but he's already such a shit that I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the true ending final boss.

Can cats be cute? (Or: are they innately cute?)

That is the real question at issue here.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Automata is fascinating. We're told (in the first half hour) that humanity had to flee earth in the year 5000 from alien invaders, and now we're tasked to go take it back. But the ruined architecture of the earth does not look 3000 years advanced from where we are now. Is that because the team behind the game didn't think (or feel they should) update the ruins to look more futuristic, or is it because I've been lied to in the story about this timeline?

Automata is fascinating. We're told (in the first half hour) that humanity had to flee earth in the year 5000 from alien invaders, and now we're tasked to go take it back. But the ruined architecture of the earth does not look 3000 years advanced from where we are now. Is that because the team behind the game didn't think (or feel they should) update the ruins to look more futuristic, or is it because I've been lied to in the story about this timeline?

Its uh

Complicated?
(no major game spoilers)
idk if Nier:A is a sequel to Nier in which case...its complicated.

kvothe

Yo guys, not to start some shit or anything, but Patrick definitely talked some mess about Giant Bomb on the latest Waypoint Radio...

kvothe

What did he say?

Did he reveal what Brad even does all day?

Trying to gain listeners...

Nice try, Patrick.

We fucking made you, Klepek, you better fucking appreciate us...

He said

Patty McKleptok said:
Long form video content is something that just bugs me. Both, like, cause I don't have time and also because the editor in me thinks "Bro..." or "Lady..." like, you don't need fourty five minutes to do what you just did. If we're talking about stuff that isn't like a let's play that you're working your way through a game.

In response to an email about a person not watching much YouTube or twitc content.

SHOTS FIRED.

I'd like to hear him say that after watching that masterful Styx quick look.

TraBuch

Banned
Wow. What a jerk.

Edit. This is the second time in as many days I've doubleposted even though I click post once and you can't make a post within a certain amount of time after another. Wtf.

Edit 2: wtf the other post disappeared.

kvothe

Wow. What a jerk.

Edit. This is the second time in as many days I've doubleposted even though I click post once and you can't make a post within a certain amount of time after another. Wtf.

Edit 2: wtf the other post disappeared.

Happened to me just minutes ago. Glitches in the Gaftrix.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
vinny, it is not scary.
So I take it that the Switch is the new Vita in that every game that's not on the system will get a million "I'd totally buy this if it was on the Vita/Switch" posts?

100%

any time a new game is announced look for 10 or so posts of trying to not so clevelry port beg

Seems to me the last sentence of that Patrick quote means he is specifically NOT talking about gameplay footage, but more shit like Totalbiscuit's "listen to me rant for 78 minutes to say something I probably could've scripted and said in 3 minutes instead"

edit: or maybe shit like this that's 80 fucking minutes long, jesus http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360827

It's no coincidence that the best essayists on youtube (eg Campster, Bunnyhop) don't do this. Brevity is the soul of wit, and good criticism.

Even the best stuff on YouTube is stuff like Noah Caldwell Gervais where every video is two fucking hours long. I like long-form criticism but there's a limit.

Salarians

Seems to me the last sentence of that Patrick quote means he is specifically NOT talking about gameplay footage, but more shit like Totalbiscuit's "listen to me rant for 78 minutes to say something I probably could've scripted and said in 3 minutes instead"

edit: or maybe shit like this that's 80 fucking minutes long, jesus http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360827

It's no coincidence that the best essayists on youtube (eg Campster, Bunnyhop) don't do this. Brevity is the soul of wit, and good criticism.
yeah, basically

this video popped up in my youtube recommendations the other day and while I'm sure there are some very good criticisms in it, it's also two and a half hours long

http://abload.de/img/d20o7y1nzloh.png
oh no

Hindl

I disagree. Deep analysis, especially on pieces of media that can last tens of hours, is appreciated. It's like that question Jeff got on Jar Time about reviews moving from a consumer-centric view to a more abstract, analytic view. Not all games require this amount of depth, and you can certainly express why you like or dislike something in 5-10 minutes. But to really articulate why, you need more time. It's like when I get into discussions with people about why I think Skyrim, Fallout, and the like are bad video games that I don't enjoy. I can describe my issues in about 5 minutes, but then people inevitably ask me questions about it and I expand on my point of view, and it ends up turning into a half hour to an hour long conversation. Good criticism requires deep dives.

As an example, I appreciate the lengthy reviews/critiques Matthewmatosis does on various series, and that wouldn't be possible in a short amount of time

As an example, I appreciate the lengthy reviews/critiques Matthewmatosis does on various series, and that wouldn't be possible in a short amount of time

I don't think matthewmatosis is a good essayist at all, he basically just rambles. His videos are more akin to reviews than essays.

I mean you're right in that you can't discuss every single aspect of a game in great depth in a single ten-minute video, but that's the point. You don't do an essay on every single aspect of a game, or any piece of media. That's why Campster's essays are good: they usually focus on specific themes or design elements, and they're still very holistic.

If you read an essay on a film, or any piece of art, it's got a thesis: it's about deep-diving on limited aspects of a work, rather than trying to cover everything. I think the same applies to video essays.

TraBuch

Banned
Apparently, Jeff is kind of a Kendrick Lamar Stan.

Hot take: Section.80 is still his best album. GKMC is his second best. TPAB is kinda overrated. DAMN is pretty good.

they give the nurse in tender loving care too many passes

shes just as shitty as the dude

She's easily the worst person in the game. Assuming she's doing shit with the wife then she's actively sexually abusing a vulnerable adult she has a responsibility of care over. What she did to the husband isn't much better assuming he's been effected by the events and wasn't just always a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom