• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe people are this into PUBG. I guess I need to give it a shot, but to me it just looks like another one of those games. Doesn't seem like there's anything all that special about it.

You'll feel what's special about it. Just came in 3rd a few minutes ago, no other game is nearly as intense as it is, I'm still kinda shaky.

@jeffgerstmann

C9ebi97UAAAmBoI.jpg

Inevitable given how much of a beast Gerstmann is.
tumblr_n7pjyzwYfn1qe4qeqo1_500.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Styx was the game that really drove home to me just how...narrow minded the current design thinking around stealth games is. That was a game with some incredible mechanics, forced into use in a set of largely linear levels in which the objective was to make it from one side of the map to the other. It astounds me that there hasn't actually been a proper spiritual successor to Thief and Thief 2

Meneses

I'll always click on these links, safely knowing that i'm gonna enjoy whatever comes up. I also spend about half an hour every time just re-listening to some of the best themes, so good.

I actually think about the last boss fight a lot, I was so hyped.

Then again, by the time I got to that part I was so pumped that they could have played that fucking Mario Party song instead of the one from the soundtrack and I would have shouted "fuck yeah!"

Jennipeg

So Dan is getting married at Taco Bell, being English I have no idea what Taco Bell is like. Will this event be classy in any way? Or is it like getting married in a Burger King?

Jennipeg

Like that except 2.3x more diarrhea

Well.... that sounds terrible. I have just found this image,

poster_c1161ef6a3824b6081edf47e5fea8a0f_55173153_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

If you take close up pictures, you could maybe crop out the seats. But where will the guests sit? I hope Dan shares pictures, I'm genuinley curious.

I love how Vinny's wife had to ask if Bianca knew about this. Truly Dan's soulmate.

Edit: It looks more acceptable in this picture.

Salarians

Well.... that sounds terrible. I have just found this image,

If you take close up pictures, you could maybe crop out the seats. But where will the guests sit? I hope Dan shares pictures, I'm genuinley curious.

I love how Vinny's wife had to ask if Bianca knew about this. Truly Dan's soulmate.

Edit: It looks more acceptable in this picture.

The two of them had been intending on just a small ceremony anyway, this is nacho cheese on the oreo cake for them.

Giganteus

Styx was the game that really drove home to me just how...narrow minded the current design thinking around stealth games is. That was a game with some incredible mechanics, forced into use in a set of largely linear levels in which the objective was to make it from one side of the map to the other. It astounds me that there hasn't actually been a proper spiritual successor to Thief and Thief 2
I assume you've watched the quick look, so how does the new Styx look to you? As someone who knows very little about these games, I came away thinking the current one looks kind of awful. Was the first one of similar quality?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Geez, those Youtube comments on the Styx video.

Fwiw Styx 1 (and seemingly this too) suffers from a couple of things that made it an extremely hard game to ghost. The controls were pretty awful (I didn't know you could hang from a ledge until I read something about it, you literally have to inch your way towards a ledge, otherwise Styx will just jump down). The enemy vision cones were super wonky and the enemy placement sometimes was just flat out terrible, making it almost impossible to bypass an enemy without somehow tricking the AI into starring at a wall.
Not saying Brad played amazingly or anything but if your not super into stealth games Styx doesn't make it easy to look good on video.

At least Styx 1 was, it doesn't really look like this fixed a lot of my issues, but I haven't played it.

Geez, those Youtube comments on the Styx video.

Fwiw Styx 1 (and seemingly this too) suffers from a couple of things that made it an extremely hard game to ghost. The controls were pretty awful (I didn't know you could hang from a ledge until I read something about it, you literally have to inch your way towards a ledge, otherwise Styx will just jump down). The enemy vision cones were super wonky and the enemy placement sometimes was just flat out terrible, making it almost impossible to bypass an enemy without somehow tricking the AI into starring at a wall.
Not saying Brad played amazingly or anything but if your not super into stealth games Styx doesn't make it easy to look good on video.

At least Styx 1 was, it doesn't really look like this fixed a lot of my issues, but I haven't played it.

I watched the entire QL but even just watching the first 5 minutes, I got the impression that this was a PS2 era stealth game made for current gen platforms.

Hjod

Banned
As the internet has said, Dan's hatred of this game to the extreme that it is is likely because of some self reflection

I don't know really. Sure, Dan can be kind of a mini version of the announcer sometimes but he's really not that extreme and I think Dan is way more self aware than Drawn to Death is.

Yea I don't think thats fair to Dan at all, he may be kind of stubborn with his "Regular Guy" stuff, but he's never crude for no reason, and he's not nearly as immature as that game appears to be, and he's always willing to learn and admit when he doesn't know something

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Drawn to Death is VERY self aware

I just dont think its funny about it. It's what happens when something is too self aware

also mr shifty looks like the guy from super solvers

Listening to the latest Beastcast, I forgot about Dan's categorical rejection of fantasy in video games (that aren't named Metal Gear).

What dark hold does Kojima have on you, Dan?! You must break the spell, and reach out to the truth.
I watched the entire QL but even just watching the first 5 minutes, I got the impression that this was a PS2 era stealth game made for current gen platforms.

So... a Cyanide game. (Ok, to be fair, I haven't seen the QL yet.)

Mr. F

Banned
Just finished UPF, Flinthook looks rad. I really hope it comes to Switch at some point, it's exactly the kind of game I want to have on there vs. PS4 or PC.

TraBuch

Banned
So I take it that the Switch is the new Vita in that every game that's not on the system will get a million "I'd totally buy this if it was on the Vita/Switch" posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom