• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
He played P3, but probably forgot about it by now.

Vinny never finished it tho and I'm not sure how far he actually got in the game. P3 has a much darker tone but it's because is about
accepting your mortality
rather than P4 which is just a Scooby Doo caper. P5 is probably darker because it deals with very real issues and not just concepts or cartoon villains.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm glad Dan brought up Midnight Club. I thought MC LA did the single player open world racing game much better than Burnout Paradise, and they were both 2008 games.

Agree MCLA is an amazing game.

It gets waaaayyyy too difficult half way through tho which is a bummer because other than that I green that it's way better than Burnout Paradise which I always found dull and overrated.

Phatmac

Vinny never finished it tho and I'm not sure how far he actually got in the game. P3 has a much darker tone but it's because is about
accepting your mortality
rather than P4 which is just a Scooby Doo caper. P5 is probably darker because it deals with very real issues and not just concepts or cartoon villains.
I forgot that he never beat it. That's a shame.

Curufinwe

Oh hey, Alex is the only one other than me who liked ohya.

I liked her storyline more than Fortune and Star which were kind of boring, outside of when Fortune
slipped into her country bumpkin accent.
. But Fortune level 7 has the most important reward. I wouldn't have gotten close to maxing out every confidant without the affinity readings.

I don't think Vinny got very far into P3 or retained much from it. When the gang went to Gekkoukan high school in P4, he didn't seem to recognize it.

hqdefault.jpg

I've actually stalled out on P5 around 55 hours in due to playing a lot of BOTW and Mario Kart. I keep thinking about it and want to get back to it, but easier to pick up that Switch when someone is watching the TV.

Nbz

Anyone else having issues with the Continue Watching page? It seems to only save a max of 3 videos at once (when it first launched I swear it could hold more), and often forgets/overwrites videos if you start playing something new, subsequently erasing progress on the replaced video. Bring your B game Force Unleashed was just removed from the page for me and progress erased, despite me having stopped about an hour in a couple days ago. I love this feature of the site, but man its frustrating me right now

Gandie

It's annoying at first, but over the last year I've replaced accessories/adaptors with USB-C ones and I wouldn't go back. Having a Macbook and PC both with thunderbolt USB-C support makes it a lot easier.

I actually have a USB C port on my PC. Not in the front, but easily accessible. I do all my file transfers via Network anyway.

There are like docks that aren't as cumbersome as that lol.

Just get something like this.
4bJfMVA.jpg

This seems much more reasonable. Having the USB C port on the Switch has been amazing for its versatility while charging.

daveo42

Banned

It's real good. I like 5 more overall despite its faults, but 3 is also a fantastic game.

The Tartarus would break them. Shitty ass dungeon.

It's the worst aspect of 3. That includes Ken, who is a real shitbag most of the game. I think I just ran through the last 20-30 floors or whatever you had to clear to reach the top on the final day. Tartarus is also the reason why I quit The Answer within the first hour. God...fuck Tartarus.

Curufinwe

Agree MCLA is an amazing game.

It gets waaaayyyy too difficult half way through tho which is a bummer because other than that I green that it's way better than Burnout Paradise which I always found dull and overrated.

MC 2 is like that as well. Some of the later races will drive you mad, but it's a great feeling when you finally win.

Phatmac

Yeah, P3 is great. It's a shame that the combat doesn't hold up anymore. The story and how characters progress is great.

Are there any examples of the bad localization Alex mentions. There is a lot of dialogue and none of it stands out too much
The way people talk constantly about "their justice" in that game always stood out to me as really weird and unnatural. I can't precisely describe why but people who've played the game will know what I mean. Like "I need to prove my justice!" "Let's show our justice!" "But sis, what about your justice!"

daveo42

Banned
It's so bad that someone made a website about it. http://www.personaproblems.com/

This actually calls out way more stuff than I noticed during the game. I think the worst bit of just straight bad writing was the "conversation" between two people in late November. I probably have a high tolerance with poor translations or, as the site covers, the human mind is good at pulling out meaning from gibberish.

LiK

This actually calls out way more stuff than I noticed during the game. I think the worst bit of just straight bad writing was the "conversation" between two people in late November. I probably have a high tolerance with poor translations or, as the site covers, the human mind is good at pulling out meaning from gibberish.

That site is picky as shit. I think once you get out of the first 2 opening hours, the localization is fine. People aren't going to talk perfectly which I find more realistic. I understand if the meaning of some conversations were probably changed but I wasn't confused nor did I find a lot of the interactions that bad. Like I said in the P5 thread about it, this issue was way overblown. Maybe people had super high expectations because it was Atlus but calling the localization horrible or poor is just silly, imo.

Phatmac

That site is picky as shit. I think once you get out of the first 2 opening hours, the localization is fine. People aren't going to talk perfectly which I find more realistic. I understand if the meaning of some conversations were probably changed but I wasn't confused nor did I find a lot of the interactions that bad. Like I said in the P5 thread about it, this issue was way overblown. Maybe people had super high expectations because it was Atlus but calling the localization horrible or poor is just silly, imo.
The way people talk is just strange. It feels like a bad anime translation. It's bizarre when P4's translation was great. The game has bad verbiage and is far too wordy for what it wants to say. The game is still amazing, but the translation is still rough in general.

LiK

The way people talk is just strange. It feels like a bad anime translation. It's bizarre when P4's translation was great. The game has bad verbiage and is far too wordy for what it wants to say. The game is still amazing, but the translation is still rough in general.

It's a bit rough in spots but I felt it was fine for the most part among the crew. The text messages were really well written. I think it only stumbles during those more complex political conversations.

Curufinwe

If whoever translated the text messages could have translated the whole game, I don't think there would be any complaints. They were always very well done.

Someone needs to tell Vinny to wait for the PC version of Prey to go on sale.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-prey-now-has-ps4-pro-support-and-ugly-stutter

With the release of patch 1.04, Pro features have finally arrived, but Arkane Austin's attempts to improve the laggy controls have resulted in a massive own goal. Put simply, for PS4 owners, there's a strong argument that the new patch now represents a retrograde step.

Unfortunately, a new problem has been introduced across both PlayStation consoles - a problem that first appeared in version 1.02 and compromises what was one of the game's most impressive aspects, its consistency and fluidity in motion. On the plus side, input latency has been fixed - the game is much more responsive now - but the knock-on effect is that, put simply, the game is a stuttering mess in motion. We've often reported on bad frame-pacing in the past, but nothing could prepare us for the severity of the problem in Prey.

This is, without a doubt, the worst instance of irregular frame delivery we've encountered, giving the illusion of a much lower frame-rate. In addition, as the game uses an adaptive v-sync solution, there is now a plethora of torn frames present in each and every scene along the top portion of the image. Taken as a whole, Prey no longer feels smooth to play. Clearly, the fix for input latency is to blame for this problem. Whichever settings have been adjusted, the results are poor.

I'd generally say that translation was mostly fine for me but had its rough spots. Like a lot of Igor scenes and adult stuff from what I'm remembering is where transliteration seeps in but like the text stuff and most of the Phantom Thieves talking to each other was fine "good anime localization" for me.

I didn't look through that Persona Problems site but one of the actors said that's what Atlus had demanded, right? Don't remember that whole story.

daveo42

Banned
It's a bit rough in spots but I felt it was fine for the most part among the crew. The text messages were really well written. I think it only stumbles during those more complex political conversations.

The text conversations were great, even if some were essentially retreads of conversations you just had with the group. Also, as said on the podcast, the internet comments were real good. I still think the translation has a decent amount of room for improvement and make it sound more natural and less stiff.

I hope Alex and Ben do get to record a more lengthy cast about P5. Some of the game's pacing was off for me (well really I did not enjoy the 5th palace but the rest was me powering through them and wearing myself out) but I generally had a good time. I feel like while maybe the plot narrative is fine I think the game overall touches on some pretty great themes that extend outside Japanese culture and politics. Without getting too political in this thread a lot of what the characters say, even in goofy anime context, resonated with me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like the text messages would have been better if I didn't basically blast through the dungeons in one go.

Because it's mostly just "Is he changing yet? No? Any changes? No?" for like 20 days each dungeon cycle.

Phatmac

You're right. At least the conversation between your team is good. I'm just mad about how bad some parts are when Persona games have generally had a good translation.

I feel like the text messages would have been better if I didn't basically blast through the dungeons in one go.

Because it's mostly just "Is he changing yet? No? Any changes? No?" for like 20 days each dungeon cycle.

Yeah I wish they injected more personality into those conversations. They could have used it as a way to add more slice-of-life type moments without throwing off the pacing of the story, but instead it's just a bunch of dry, circular talk about whatever the current target is.

Phatmac

I was bummed out about this too. I wish they used the email function in Catherine for the texting sections of P5. I wish they used more elements from Catherine for P5.

LiK

You can sorta tell the text messages were written by adults in terms of how they were implemented as mainly plot progress instead of flavoring. Altho it wasn;t too different than P4G where they mainly called each other for story-related progress.

Zaph

I couldn't disagree more, if anything the localisation gets worse as you progress, especially the last act. You can't claim the site is being picky but also say "I understand if the meaning of some conversations were probably changed" - when they literally list examples where the entire meaning of some conversations where changed because of the poor localisation.

People talking informally is realistic, people not making sense at all isn't. That isn't super high expectations.

From what I read of the P5 discussion thread, there seems to be a fairly clear divide between people who watch anime and are simply used to accepting broken English as natural, and those who don't and were expecting a coherent localisation.

LiK

I couldn't disagree more, if anything the localisation gets worse as you progress, especially the last act. You can't claim the site is being picky but also say "I understand if the meaning of some conversations were probably changed" - when they literally list examples where the entire meaning of some conversations where changed because of the poor localisation.

People talking informally is realistic, people not making sense at all isn't. That isn't super high expectations.

From what I read of the P5 discussion thread, there seems to be a fairly clear divide between people who watch anime and are simply used to accepting broken English as natural, and those who don't and were expecting a coherent localisation.

I understand your point but I felt most of the conversations weren't broken especially between the crew. It was pretty straightforward. Some of the complaints were far too critical, imo. I can't change my mind about it. That's just how I feel.

daveo42

Banned
Text messages were real easy to breeze through and still get the gist of what the conversation was about.

P5 has the best persona designs. The second forms are pretty bad for the most part

Milady second form is wtf

All of the evolved personas with the exception of one were bad. Even Futaba's. I'm more glad we have new 3d models for most of the persona going forward for the next SMT game. or if we get a new Persona game in the next decade.

Hindl

Text messages were real easy to breeze through and still get the gist of what the conversation was about.

All of the evolved personas with the exception of one were bad. Even Futaba's. I'm more glad we have new 3d models for most of the persona going forward for the next SMT game. or if we get a new Persona game in the next decade.

Yeah the release of P5 makes me hopeful that the Switch SMT game isn't too far off because they'll already have the art/models

Dany

Banned
Vinny on the latest beastcast: "my daughter had to take antibiotics and that stuff can wipe out an entire colony"

Did he know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom