• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

i worry that GOTY's going to be stupid this year. Zelda and PUBG are gonna get coronated without meaningful discussions other than to determine which is better and then its going to be a lot of ums and uhs about other, similarly-great games that only one or two people actually played, which deserve good discussions but are going to get shot down by a bunch of "it didnt seem that cool" or "i saw a bunch of randoms saying it sucks on twitter" or "i never learned how to dodge and got really frustrated when i got punished for button mashing"
So every year

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really liked zelda botw, but I really had no expectations for it as it's my first.

If you had expectations for the series I can see how the changes can underwhelm someone.

imBask

Banned
The only problem I see with BOTW is that it has the DayZ/Dark Souls/etc issue where 50% of the game is discovering stuff and sharing it with your friends and/or a community that is also discovering stuff. I had a group chat with like 6 friends who were playing on launch and that's all we did for a couple of weeks

There's nothing like it.

but if you missed the boat and now just have access to everything by googling it and don't have anybody to share stuff with, I can see why you wouldn't "get it"

Curufinwe

The best part of GotY will be when Alex starts talking about how emotionally affecting the endings of Nier Automata were, and Jeff says he looked up the C, D and E endings on wikipedia and they seemed kinda lame.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Jintor

The best part of GotY will be when Alex starts talking about how emotionally affecting the endings of Nier Automata were, and Jeff says he looked up the C, D and E endings on wikipedia and they seemed kinda lame.

I'm getting morphogenetic anger just by reading that post

Curufinwe

I don't currently own any consoles. It was a bit strange to see Brad nod along and agree with Whitta's thought that there's nothing separating the two major consoles, when this year's batch of PS4 exclusives has really been making me consider a console for the first time in years. I truly feel like I'm missing out by not owning a PS4 lately.

Brad's favorite PS4 exclusive is the extra content in Destiny.

Meguro

Banned
Zelda games have been disappointing since Wind Waker so eh. I guess I don't know what "disappointing as a Zelda game" even means anymore.
BOTW is just a really amazing game, Zelda or not, which is something no Zelda title has managed in over a decade. For me it has rekindled the deep love I had for that series since my childhood.

Real Hero

I can't fathom finding Zelda disappointing. I love the the structure of old Zelda games and I would have been fine with another in the same style, but Breath of the Wild is so good I never once thought 'I wish I was playing ocarina right now!!'

oti

Banned
truth bombs

- Zelda BOTW is the FRESHEST open world game in a very long while and will influence game design for years in ways we can't imagine - game of the generation
don't even dare to bring up your cowbooy gta

- Mario Odyssey looks like the next step for 3D sandbox Mario, which is cool, I guess
Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game of all time though

- if you want to hear Nier music type "anime music" into google
this is a joke what I heard from that game's music sounds alright

I feel like this is a safe space so I'll elaborate later on why this Zelda is disappointing. Don't get me wrong it will still deserve to be a top 10 game this year.

imBask

Banned
are we just throwing edgelord hot takes this morning?

The gameplay in The Last of Us made the game go from a 10 to a 6 at best

I already wanna die.

Regarding BOTW: it's a nice 8/10 good game, don't regret playing it. 👍🏿

zelda is the best game i have played in my entire adult life i think, i was having flashbacks of sneaking in sessions of NES legend of zelda before public school with my uncle. a real sense of place and discovery.. certainly not for everyone

Based on trailers? Come on, mehn.

i'm just saying it will win their goty

oti

Banned
oti with his secret punches towards me in every post, I can see it.

punches of love

zelda is the best game i have played in my entire adult life i think, i was having flashbacks of sneaking in sessions of NES legend of zelda before public school with my uncle. a real sense of place and discovery.. certainly not for everyone

i'm just saying it will win their goty

BOTW is very special.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
truth bombs

- Zelda BOTW is the FRESHEST open world game in a very long while and will influence game design for years in ways we can't imagine - game of the generation
don't even dare to bring up your cowbooy gta

- Mario Odyssey looks like the next step for 3D sandbox Mario, which is cool, I guess
Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game of all time though

- if you want to hear Nier music type "anime music" into google
this is a joke what I heard from that game's music sounds alright

Usually when people say "truth bombs" they come up with some garbage but you are spot on

Meguro

Banned
BoTW made running around an open world game fun again. The climbing mechanic is just that much of a gamechanger.
There's no barriers, no mountain too high.
It's a really special thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom