• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

I'm still not sure why we're talking about this.

220px-Spiegel100531.jpg

Game of the Generation is BOTW it's not even close.

Is the Switch the first next gen console? If so, yes, if not, then... also yes.

SeanR1221

Listening to the crew talk about how indistinguishable the PS4 and Xbox was really strange. Sure, if your optics are entirely on 3rd party AAA, both consoles are basically the same. But if you're looking at mid tier or Japanese games, PS4 and Xbox are night and day.

Given the tastes of people like Jeff and Brad, I can understand them not noticing. But fucking Alex was there and not a single mention from him about Nier Automata, Persona or Yakuza?? I can understand no one on Giant Bomb bringing up more niche PS4 games like Gundam Versus or Grand Kingdom, but those three alone are already huge differentiators between the consoles. Same applies for Xbox's backwards compatibility.

I'm a bit more hesitant to bring this other point up as well since it straddles the line with console warrior bullshit, but saying Sony first party is in a rut just months after a Sony first party released and was awarded five stars on Giant Bomb is really fucking weird.

I took it as for your average consumer it still holds true.

Most of the time when I see a system under someone's tv there is a small stack of games next to it: Madden, FIFA and CoD

oti

Banned
Unless you really like Halo I don't know why you'd want to buy an Xbox over a PS4. They're both really cheap to boot.

oti

Banned
I would argue that especially if you really like Halo you don't have to buy an Xbox One.

Eh, I don't have a horse in the Halo discussion.

Maybe the only reason to get an Xbox S over a PS4 is the 4K Blu-ray drive. But if you're collecting 4K Blu-rays in 2017 you have some other things to go through first.

SeanR1221

unprecedented amount of positivity about Nintendo as a company in this weeks bombast

I'm a huge Nintendo fan so it's really nice to see them hitting (most) marks. They're definitely bringing the games/style/hardware. Now if the operating stuff could catch up it would be nice.

I don't think anyone has a perception of Nintendo taking over the world but it's refreshing to not see them slowly fall apart like they did during the Wii U

I don't currently own any consoles. It was a bit strange to see Brad nod along and agree with Whitta's thought that there's nothing separating the two major consoles, when this year's batch of PS4 exclusives has really been making me consider a console for the first time in years. I truly feel like I'm missing out by not owning a PS4 lately.

he doesn't count p5 yakuza or nier

Nier's on PC, but if you meant Nioh, then yeah, that's another one I'm talking about. Off the top of my head, there's also Horizon of course.

Wunder

I don't currently own any consoles. It was a bit strange to see Brad nod along and agree with Whitta's thought that there's nothing separating the two major consoles, when this year's batch of PS4 exclusives has really been making me consider a console for the first time in years. I truly feel like I'm missing out by not owning a PS4 lately.

he doesn't count p5 yakuza or nier

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Even as somebody who doesn't really care for 90% of Sony's first party titles, there is no denying that they are vastly more successful in making good arguments for the PS4 than Microsoft this gen, even if you ignore the 3rd party stuff.
Nobody really cared for Gears or Halo while people, as far as I can tell, loved Uncharted 4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tbf if i listed out the last guardian, gravity rush 2, yakuza 0, persona 5 and horizon it would sound like an amazing lineup to me but the only game he would maybe play is horizon.

Not enough lootboxes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Tbf if i listed out the last guardian, gravity rush 2, yakuza 0, persona 5 and horizon it would sound like an amazing lineup to me but the only game he would maybe play is horizon.

Not enough lootboxes.

It's still weird to ignore them, even if you aren't interested in them.

Antiwhippy

Look they've been myopic for years now. If it's not in their wheelhouse they ignore it.

They keep saying that the vita has no games when it has better and more games than the 3ds even if the 3ds highs are a little higher.

Zebetite

Banned
i worry that GOTY's going to be stupid this year. Zelda and PUBG are gonna get coronated without meaningful discussions other than to determine which is better and then its going to be a lot of ums and uhs about other, similarly-great games that only one or two people actually played, which deserve good discussions but are going to get shot down by a bunch of "it didnt seem that cool" or "i saw a bunch of randoms saying it sucks on twitter" or "i never learned how to dodge and got really frustrated when i got punished for button mashing"

Jintor

it depends if people play games through so they can have worthwhile discussions or not

i think probably by end of year a bunch more people will at least play nier through.

i don't see persona getting any more hangtime though.

Antiwhippy

Brad will somehow push destiny 2 as goty.

"They have skins for your spaceship now, can you get spaceship skins in pubg?"

oti

Banned
GOTY 2017 Discussions

Horizon or Zelda. You have to pick one, Brad.
But both of those games are so different in what th-
PICK ONE BRAD.
OK FINE. I pick ****.

Everyone hates Brad.

Antiwhippy

I'm pretty sure brad hadn't even gone beyond that starting area of horizon?

It's actually kinda weird how it's only jeff and rorie who really played the game.

Look they've been myopic for years now. If it's not in their wheelhouse they ignore it.

They keep saying that the vita has no games when it has better and more games than the 3ds even if the 3ds highs are a little higher.

Oh gosh don't trigger me further with the treatment of the Vita. Or even the Wii U.

I'm still not sure why we're talking about this.

220px-Spiegel100531.jpg

Game of the Generation is BOTW it's not even close.

What am I looking at here?

i worry that GOTY's going to be stupid this year. Zelda and PUBG are gonna get coronated without meaningful discussions other than to determine which is better and then its going to be a lot of ums and uhs about other, similarly-great games that only one or two people actually played, which deserve good discussions but are going to get shot down by a bunch of "it didnt seem that cool" or "i saw a bunch of randoms saying it sucks on twitter" or "i never learned how to dodge and got really frustrated when i got punished for button mashing"
This is what happens every year.

I'm honestly not sure I've ever seen a community who can read their group of podcasters/personalities so well lmao.

Zebetite

Banned
This is what happens every year.

It's bound to be worse though. The usual 8-10 spots that get filled by a person's pet game that only they played are going to end up being, like, spots 4-10.

There's a lot of year left but I really doubt anybody gets back to the games they missed. They missed them the first time for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom