• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Still, as far as open worlds go, I still would probably take the STALKER games over botw.

I am so fucking excited for the new Metro.

Antiwhippy

That's the weirdest thing I've ever read but I can get behind this.
I'm glad Metro isn't open world tho.

Wait, I thought the new one is?

Also the comparison is more that BotW is very good but it's still not exactly THE GREATEST OPEN WORLD GAME EVER MADE as fans will claim, at least not for me.

hamchan

Hot take:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is annoying with its stamina limits,
annoying with its breakable weapons,
annoying with how easy some of the shrines and dungeon puzzles are,
annoying with how bad the voice acting is,
annoying with how unsatisfying the treasures are when it's just another weapon,
annoying with how cumbersome the inventory is,
annoying with how rain just makes you tedious wait until it's over so you can actually climb something,.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait, I thought the new one is?

I guess I'm not really sure.
Some sites say it is, some say it isn't and some say it's "not open world but sandbox survival" and I have no idea what that#s supposed to mean.
We're not entirely open-world, then, it's more sandbox survival and everything is tied together with an overarching storyline that still carries the player through. They're still feel like they're playing a Metro game.
Like, that does that even mean

daveo42

Banned
I guess it's fitting that the GBGAF thread has a couple of people with terrible taste in games

I have to agree with you on GBGAF's general bad taste in games.

I loved TLoU and never finished a Zelda game, not because I think they are bad but I've never been overly interested in the series.

The gameplay was repetitive, and kinda bad

although it's not the focus of the game so that's why it's still a great game,
just like Witcher 3
pls hire me waypoint

TLoU is 90% a stealth game, so if that isn't your thing or played it like a normal third person shooter, then I could see the problem.
The ladder and palliate "puzzles" were real bad

Antiwhippy

I guess I'm not really sure.
Some sites say it is, some say it isn't and some say it's "not open world but sandbox survival" and I have no idea what that#s supposed to mean.

Like, that does that even mean

The structure seems to be exactly the same as the first STALKER, which is pretty much interconnected sandbox levels with some having a more linear structure than others.

Which is good because SoC is fucking awesome.

oti

Banned
Hot take:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is annoying with its stamina limits, otherwise there's no progression, unless you want experience points and level ups, which: NEIN
annoying with its breakable weapons, you get so many new weapons thrown at you it's a non-issue, all you have to do is get past what all video games have taught you
annoying with how easy some of the shrines and dungeon puzzles are, "some" out of 120
annoying with how bad the voice acting is, sure
annoying with how unsatisfying the treasures are when it's just another weapon, but you need weapons? what else would you want in hundreds of those treasure chests?
annoying with how cumbersome the inventory is, sure
annoying with how rain just makes you tedious wait until it's over so you can actually climb something,. I used that time to do something else when that happened, like light a fire or just walk in a different direction, you just have to roll with it

Correct take.

Oni Jazar

I've been getting into a nostalgia kick and watching a bunch of old GB videos with Dave Snider. Dave I miss you man! Him & Vinny make be best duo. Watching old gems like Crusader: No Remorse (DanceBot: "get funky motherfuckers!") Blade Runner ("Upstairs is where I grow all ma' fans"), and of course Phantasmagoria (too many to mention).

I've been getting into a nostalgia kick and watching a bunch of old GB videos with Dave Snider. Dave I miss you man! Him & Vinny make be best duo. Watching old gems like Crusader: No Remorse (DanceBot: "get funky motherfuckers!") Blade Runner ("Upstairs is where I grow all ma' fans"), and of course Phantasmagoria (too many to mention).
Random PC Game was the best Shit to exist

Fantastapotamus

The structure seems to be exactly the same as the first STALKER, which is pretty much interconnected sandbox levels with some having a more linear structure than others.

Which is good because SoC is fucking awesome.

It really is.
It's so good.

Also, and I will keep repeating this till the end of time, one of the weirdest endings in a game ever (in that it was never foreshadowed even in the slightest)

just how hot can takes get?

i'd watch Colin Moriarty over Waypoint's content

There's a difference between a hot take and a garbage take tho

hamchan

Hot Take:

UPF isn't an actual issue. The real underlying issue is that GBWest's creative juices are spent and they are even more spent now that Dan, the creative man, has gone to GBEast.

ZeroCoin

My personal biggest issue with BotW, apart from the standard annoyances, was that I just wanted it to be over. I really enjoyed the shrines and the dungeons and I was planning on getting more seeds an shrines...and then it just ran out of steam for me. I needed to just finish the game at that point because I was probably never going to put any more time into it again.

Just completed Yakuza 0 last night. What a ride that was. Really looking forward to Kiwami. Also I need to figure out what to do with the series after that. I have 4 and 5 from PS+, but my PS3 is toast. Thinking about trying to find a cheap slim somewhere to play those after Kiwami and also just to have a working PS3 in my console collection.

Hindl

Zelda gotta be in the running for Disappointment of the Year.
You know this won't happen
Based on trailers? Come on, mehn.
If Odyssey reaches its potential Jeff will ram it in to #1
Hot take:

annoying with how rain just makes you tedious wait until it's over so you can actually climb something,.
All of this is true

Fantastapotamus

We already know Nier will take best Story or Moment (or whatever it is called).
I didn't get it but they all love it. Also so far there hasn't really been another game with a great story.

Wait, I forgot to add a hot take:
God of War is stupid and you only liked it because you were a young kid when you played and he was super edgy and killed a lot of people and had sex.
There, how's this?

newjeruse

Oh man at the fuddy duddy overreacting at the beginning of the Bombcast. I'm sure Gary doesn't play games like he used to, but it's a really weird year to complain about not having enough good experiences to play. Give me a break.

Antiwhippy

I was kinda disappointed because I heard GOW4 described as souls-like before E3 but it looks pretty standard during the showing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hot take:

I agree with all of this. Ever single mechanic in the game made it less fun for me to actually play.

Oh man at the fuddy duddy overreacting at the beginning of the Bombcast. I'm sure Gary doesn't play games like he used to, but it's a really weird year to complain about not having enough good experiences to play. Give me a break.

He was completely clueless about what he was talking about yet had no problems voicing his opinions in the most Skip Bayless of fashions. I don't mind when they bring on guests who aren't up to date with games but found this really hard to listen to.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm so looking forward to everyone on East gushing over Yakuza during GOTY and no-one on West having any idea what the fuck they're talking about

daveo42

Banned
for the record I don't watch Colin Moriarty I was just being an edgelord

Doesn't that make you worse somehow?

I'm so looking forward to everyone on East gushing over Yakuza during GOTY and no-one on West having any idea what the fuck they're talking about

Alex and Vinny will defend it for #10 and still have it lose to Shadow of War. Dan will sacrifice it to push BotW into the #1 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom