• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

This is all so fucking surreal. I even saw Dan and his wife popped up on my local news yesterday talking about the Taco Bell wedding. That marketing dept is fucking good.

Wunder

what are the good points of zelda besides "you can climb everything"?

from all that i've heard it sounds like theres gripes with almost every other aspect

oti

Banned

from all that i've heard it sounds like theres gripes with almost every other aspect

The elemental system is amazing. And again, the open world has rules and it never breaks those rules.

And when people talk about the "gripes" they have it's mostly because they don't like these rules. Like weapon durability. The game knows it has weapon durability so it throws weapons at you in a rapid pace. It's not a problem at all. It's just that some people can't overcome this hording mentality every other game has taught them over the years.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My problem is more that the loot system doesn't actually make your loot feel... special really. Other than the armour pieces which are actually pretty unique and distinct, but weapons is basically just me keeping one of each elemental type for non-combat stuff and the rest is just a treadmill of stuff I hit things with.

Crashdown

Neo Member
Why are people even considering PUBG? It's Early Access, this entire conversation is moot as is.
Even if it's still in early access at the end of the year, one of these years they are going to give up on distinguishing between "early access" and "released", just like they gave up on "download only" a few years ago.

I wish I got PUBG. From where I'm standing, it really doesn't seem like anything that we haven't seen a million times before, and the way GB have latched onto it honestly baffles me.

It's not like Hitman last year, where the free-form madness and fun of the sandbox made a very compelling case; I simply do not see PUBG's major appeal.

I'm sure it doesn't click for everyone and honestly I would have a hard time recommending it just for the single player mode unless you really like multiplayer/strategy shooters.

However, if you have one to three friends who will play regularly it can be one of the most entertaining games you've probably ever played. It's the idea of "story" popping up through natural gameplay that makes each game stick in your mind and makes it so easy to sit and talk with your pals about how cool something was that happened. "I can't believe that car chase ended with a completely different squad t-boning their car right before they got us"(etc).

I would also say it can be stressful in a positive way. I don't normally get affected this way from video games but when I realized how hard my heart was pounding the first couple times I almost won a game was shocking. Then, when my friends and I did win a game, we were cheering over discord like we just orchestrated the moon landing.

All that aside the game is about a 7/10 on the jank meter, but they are actively improving it with every patch.

I'm not saying it's goty but it is special.

Antiwhippy

Really though, PUBG should implement actual battle royale and make it so only one person can remain alive.

EVEN IN GROUPS.

strafer

o1RkZHz.gif

Telfo

am I the only one who likes the Nier Automata story but find the gameplay pretty boring and repetitive? I just got through ending B and it was tedious replaying everything

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man. Watched this week's Beast in the East followed by the new Murder Island episode.

Holy shit, when it's good .. GB content is ON-FUCKING-POINT.

edit: Also congrats to Dan and Bianca on their big day.

Hasney

Really though, PUBG should implement actual battle royale and make it so only one person can remain alive.

EVEN IN GROUPS.

Yeahhhh. Once you're the last squad, they should teleport members into buildings within the final circle and hunt each other down.

am I the only one who likes the Nier Automata story but find the gameplay pretty boring and repetitive? I just got through ending B and it was tedious replaying everything

Yeah, it was fun at first but then it dragged. Mainlined the final few endings and it was worth it though.

BearPawB

Banned
PUBG has been the best early access experience I have had.

Regular, important updates.
Constant improvements.

For those that don't "Get" PUBG from watching just GB's streams, what the streams fail to convey is the TENSION.

PUBG is a horror game. Your senses turned up to 11, then a shot cracks out and makes you jump in your seat.

The feeling of being in the final 2 and the tension of trying to win the final battle.

It has been a long time since a game has been able to make my body react in such a crazy way

Antiwhippy

It's a pretty common complaint.

There's definitely a few here who dropped it for similar reasons. You know who you are. :mad:
<3

Give C a shot though.

The Mafia III DLC Faster Baby turns into Wiz Khalifas Weed Farm about half way through and it's great. Someone tell Jeff.

I need to cop the season pass while it is on sale. I literally just finished Mafia II, and now I am itching to check out the first. I feel like this series might have gotten worse with each entry, but that does not mean III is bad by any means. I hope we see a fourth entry that is further into the timeline. Maybe 80s.

Hindl

The freeform way that elemental effects stack is also something I've rarely seen in games.

Using electric weapons to cheat puzzles is amazing to me.
Yeah I actually didn't figure out how to beat the Camel beast the right way. I came to it last so I had all the other powers, and was basically able to cheese it using a combo of Rivali's Gale and thorwing all my metal weapons on the ground to create a current. At that point the game was starting to wear thin for me, but then once I did that I fell right back in love with it.
Why are people even considering PUBG? It's Early Access, this entire conversation is moot as is.
It's supposed to be out this year, and on consoles too

I always complain about the flaws of Zelda whenever I talk about it because if I didn't people would just write off my opinion as a gushing fanboy. But basically, Austin summed it up at the end of his review. BotW is pretty much the first game ever for me that has actually felt like it's put me in this mysterious world with secrets hidden around every corner, and it made me feel like I was on an actual adventure. With most other games, I'll go in and yeah, the environments will change, I'll see unexpected enemies and designs that I wasn't expecting, and there are surprising story beats. But you're generally doing the same actions at the beginning of the game vs the end. Your toolbox to do these actions can expand, but you'll generally be following story beats or combat. But around every corner in BotW, I was constantly discovering new mechanics and ideas.
And then there's the open sandbox nature of the game, and the ability to tackle situations in any number of ways. I understand why you would be confused because you kind of have to talk vaguely about the game, since the best part comes from discovering things on your own. And I totally get why some people are not into it, but it's incredible for me
Nope, I'm struggling to get through the game because of it

Ashby

Yeah, it was fun at first but then it dragged. Mainlined the final few endings and it was worth it though.

I'm certainly playing it for the story. In fact, I would love to just mainline it but I've heard how the sidequests really flesh out the story/world but of course doing all the sidequests involves a lot more of the tedious gameplay... don't really know what I should do at this point. Think I'm in danger of falling of so I may just ditch sidequests and rush to finish it

imBask

Banned
Jeff and Alex are on the Kinda Funny Gamescast

can't believe they're on a podcast that used to have Colin as a host, I had no idea they're both republican apologist! Time to drop GIantbomb folks

Meguro

Banned
Jeff and Alex are on the Kinda Funny Gamescast

can't believe they're on a podcast that used to have Colin as a host, I had no idea they're both republican apologist! Time to drop GIantbomb folks

This stupid gag of yours got old the moment you invented it.
Just saying.

Wunder

thanks for the responses

I'm contemplating getting a Switch and will most likely pick up BotW so this was helpful. I also have stayed mostly in the dark, so hopefully I'll still be able to discover cool stuff

Telfo

It's a pretty common complaint.

There's definitely a few here who dropped it for similar reasons. You know who you are. :mad:
<3

Give C a shot though.

Oh I am definitely gonna see it through to the end at this point since i've already made it through the roughest part

bigkrev

If PUBG doesn't make it out of early access by the time they sit down to record the GOTY podcasts, do we think they reassess their policy of not allowing Early Access games on the list?

imBask

Banned
What year had GOTY contenders that had NO issues?

this is the strongest year since 2015 which was the strongest year since forever ago

If PUBG doesn't make it out of early access by the time they sit down to record the GOTY podcasts, do we think they reassess their policy of not allowing Early Access games on the list?

How likely is that? I figured there weren't too far off 1.0 until I heard they want to add more maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom