• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh so my interviewer at my
job interview don't tell my boss
brought up my Twitter account

Uhhhhh good thing I've laid off swearing so much

This is a pretty good representation of what my response would have been:

giphy.gif

oti

Banned
PUBG, which is a somewhat more streamlined game born out of unpolished mods, winning GOTY after Nintendo rebooted Zelda and turned into a gigantic and amazing open world game that shames other publishers who've been releasing games in that genre for many years, would certainly be something. It would also trigger a lot of Nintendo fans salt, so maybe I'm all for it?

Zelda >>>>>>> PUBG tho

derFeef

PUBG, which is a somewhat more streamlined game born out of unpolished mods, winning GOTY after Nintendo rebooted Zelda and turned into a gigantic and amazing open world game that shames other publishers who've been releasing games in that genre for many years, would certainly be something. It would also trigger a lot of Nintendo fans salt, so maybe I'm all for it?

Zelda >>>>>>> PUBG tho

It's not even a questiom imo. PUBG is a great game, it's fun and full of moments. But come on, it's a one trick pony that's light on content and if you are even a little bit bored of it (like myself) there is nothing else to do in that game. Custom games might mitigate that, but it's still hard to push against Zelda and other games.

I'm super late to this but the whole "in play racquetball" thing on the Beastcast, coming off of the insane college talk, had me absolutely dying.

The whole episode is pretty incredible really.

oti

Banned
It's not even a questiom imo. PUBG is a great game, it's fun and full of moments. But come on, it's a one trick pony that's light on content and if you are even a little bit bored of it (like myself) there is nothing else to do in that game. Custom games might mitigate that, but it's still hard to push against Zelda and other games.
Hey, I agree. But don't forget, some of the crew wanted DOOM to win. The ultimate one trick pony.

PUBG is someone looking at these mods and cutting off some unneeded fat. Zelda is EVERYTHING. But since we're talking GB here, I somewhat expect them to make the wrong choice. Again.

I've almost completely given up on their GOTY opinions lining up with mine.

"Can I put an in game racket ball in 3rd place"
"Well Dan, you'd have to give an argument"
*Insert speech about how dan always wanted to be an in-game ball since he was a child*

"Well I don't disagree with that. Better than Zelda and Persona 5." - Jeff and Brad.

Tagyhag

While it's fun to predict what will happen during the GOTY talks, at the end of the day, let's not forget that ultimately it's just their opinions, and even they don't get what they want.

Hey, I agree. But don't forget, some of the crew wanted DOOM to win. The ultimate one trick pony.

PUBG is someone looking at these mods and cutting off some unneeded fat. Zelda is EVERYTHING. But since we're talking GB here, I somewhat expect them to make the wrong choice. Again.

When you say everything, do you mean everything?

Like the story and the characters are all masterfully written?

Because as someone who isn't a Zelda fan I really want to pick this up but the more convincing the better lol.

Jintor

nah the story is like 'scenes from a universe where zelda had a good story but it's not this game actually'

i would probably go so far as to say the writing is bad tbh. I don't like anything about the way zelda delivers character dialogue, which sucks because it gives a shittonne of promise

Welp.

Wish I could say I wasn't spoiled by Peter, but still...

Damn, Yoko Taro.

rc8QBlv.gif

We're blessed

All this talk only for Alex to kill it off in the end for NieR Automata.
He's not a meme yet.

pACijQx.png

Uh so my interviewer at my
job interview don't tell my boss
brought up my Twitter account

Uhhhhh good thing I've laid off swearing so much

Dj2qQr8.gif

Zelda does nothing new that open world games haven't done in the past 10 years.

Scratch that. The original bit is marking the map.

That's about it though. That is really it. It's all been done.

oti

Banned
While it's fun to predict what will happen during the GOTY talks, at the end of the day, let's not forget that ultimately it's just their opinions, and even they don't get what they want.

When you say everything, do you mean everything?

Like the story and the characters are all masterfully written?

Because as someone who isn't a Zelda fan I really want to pick this up but the more convincing the better lol.

Oh no. I thought the story was fine and brought a new angle to Zelda's character. But it's still Zelda. Compared to other games the story of this game is laughable. But still, a nice step forward compared to other games.

BOTW just takes open world games and applies Nintendo polish to them. The world has rules and all of them make sense. Cut a tree, light the wood on fire, voilà you made a campfire. But they are 100% consistent with those rules, which some people find limiting. Like rain. When it's raining, climbing gets more difficult. That makes sense, those are the rules of the world, but some people just don't like it.

Because of those rules, exploring the world felt like an achievement in itself. That makes conquering a mountain way more special than any scripted scene I've played in any other game.

Jeff on the other hand just doesn't care about the climbing stuff and wants to got from A to B without having to think about it. Which, in my opinion, would take away a huge chunk of what makes this game so good.

Tagyhag

Yeah this sounds like a Zelda that I can get into, I know some Zelda purists weren't happy but I welcomed the changes.

Sucks about the story but I'll just treat it like a regular open world game.

Zelda BOTW is occupying the same place as MGSV, and that nearly got number one. And there won't be another Mario Maker to top it.

PUBG will be like Rocket League. It could be a contender but nobody will back it as much as other games.

Chumley

Banned
Battlegrounds is winning GOTY for sure. I haven’t played it so I can’t comment on it but from the streams it always seems just like wandering around and then getting shot. But I remember liking DayZ and that was also that.

If it ever comes to consoles or I upgrade my laptop I might play it.

No, it's going to Zelda or Mario, barring some complete surprise like Wolf 2 being a true masterpiece for the crew (which it might be for me, but likely not them).

oti

Banned
Zelda does nothing new that open world games haven't done in the past 10 years.

Scratch that. The original bit is marking the map.

That's about it though. That is really it. It's all been done.

Oh yeah, just let me climb up this thing in Horizon Zero DaOOOOOHH WAIT.

Jintor

the thing is, zelda has, like, hints of a greater story that could have been told. like, the way it's put together, and the way shots are framed; it's all amazing. That Launch Trailer is honestly one of the best put together trailers I've ever seen, just some amazing cinematography.

But the actual writing. My god. Whether a localisation issue, or just the game itself, I'm really not sure. But it's just not very good.

If Zelda had a proper story, good voice acting, real dungeons and 90% less copy and paste shrines it would be one of the best games ever.

As it stands, it's 'just' a great game.

oti

Banned
My biggest gripe with Zelda is the fact that the entire game just shifts 40h to 50h in. It's not challenging anymore. It still motivated me to explore everything though and I finished it after 120. But those first 40h, man, easily best game of the generation for me.

If Zelda had a proper story, good voice acting, real dungeons and 90% less copy and paste shrines it would be one of the best games ever.

As it stands, it's 'just' a great game.

The story is fine.
If "real dungeons" to you mean 15 levels and 9 keys, screw them.
There are 120 shrines in that game, some of them are battle shrines. The rest are all unique. If you're taking about their design, if their design wasn't the same, there wouldn't be 120 shrines. That's project management for you.

Jintor

i should probably replay spirit tracks at some point and see if zelda hanging out with you the entire game was good or not

i remember it being dope

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My biggest gripe with Zelda is the fact that the entire game just shifts 40h to 50h in. It's not challenging anymore. It still motivated me to explore everything though and I finished it after 120. But those first 40h, man, easily best game of the generation for me.

Eh, it became a cakewalk waaay earlier than that lol.

The story is fine.
If "real dungeons" to you mean 15 levels and 9 keys, screw them.
There are 120 shrines in that game, some of them are battle shrines. The rest are all unique. If you're taking about their design, if their design wasn't the same, there wouldn't be 120 shrines. That's project management for you.

The concept of the story is fine, the way it's told and the characters/dialogue isn't.

Real dungeons with unique design, like the 4 beasts or whatever they call them, is preferable every day.

The shrines may have different content but the fact they all look the same and are just scattered around makes it feel like boring filler content which becomes a chore after 20 or so.

Good project management it may be for budget and time, but not for making great content, which is all I care about.

Hasney

I'd hate "real" dungeons in Zelda. I don't want to be taken out of that world for too long. Love the shrines being mostly quick hits, hope that style continues in any sequel because it's one of my favourite games of all time.

For as easy as BotW got, it didn't matter to me because it allowed my mind to just think wildly about how to make use of its systems. The challenge became more about how creative I could push myself to be.

oti

Banned
The concept of the story is fine, the way it's told and the characters/dialogue isn't.

Real dungeons with unique design, like the 4 beasts or whatever they call them, is preferable every day.

The shrines may have different content but the fact they all look the same and are just scattered around makes it feel like boring filler content which becomes a chore after 20 or so.

Good project management it may be for budget and time, but not for making great content, which is all I care about.

I thought the memory system was cool. It was take it or leave it. Part of the world you want to explore.

The beasts could've been more interesting, sure. I don't wish for those giant dungeons to come back though. Hyrule Castle was a great dungeon.

I really don't get your shrines point. They all have the same interior design, yet they all feature different puzzles. They are scattered around the world because it's a open world game. That makes sense. If I understand you correctly you want 20 or so of those shrines glued together to form a "real" dungeon? That sounds awful.

I liked the shrines. Great little rewards for exploring the world.

The shrine concept is very good in execution, and for a first try it works to be more than the sum of its parts, but it also does feel like a proof of concept. The idea can be taken further like lava-themed shrines near Death Mountain or water/ice themed shrines in snow areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom