• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Today I asked 5 co-workers, age 25-35, if they knew what the Switch was. Nobody knew.
Neither did my co-worker 9 year old son.

SNES mini is expensive, but I mean some original SNES carts cost that much alone today, and some even more. I don't really think that's comparable to selling a $20 bottle of whiskey for $600.

Ah this is where price based on feeling comes in.

In a perfect society I would go up to a seller of a rare gold Zelda cartridge, give him $1 for it, which more than enough covers the cost of plastic, and the seller would go "thank you sir for your kindness" and Id be on my way.

But when you take the value of feelings, you can say "that cartridge is worth $500" and some sucker would pay for it. Thankfully most of our spending is not governed by feelings.

mike6467

Ok, so I'm old (32) and trying to find an answer to a stupid internet thing I've been seeing, and I've seen it the most in regards to Giantbomb so fuck it I'm posting it here:

<>

What is that? I saw it a ton when Drew left, and with July 13th coming up I've seen it used when people mention Ryan. Is it just a general sign of respect? Where did it originate?

Ashby

Ok, so I'm old (32) and trying to find an answer to a stupid internet thing I've been seeing, and I've seen it the most in regards to Giantbomb so fuck it I'm posting it here:

<>

What is that? I saw it a ton when Drew left, and with July 13th coming up I've seen it used when people mention Ryan. Is it just a general sign of respect? Where did it originate?

It's from many an E3 night show ago, it's supposed to be the thing above a Sims head. I don't remember how it got brought up.

Zornack

Crash_Sonic_Switcheroo_by_Andrew_th.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It's from many an E3 night show ago, it's supposed to be the thing above a Sims head. I don't remember how it got brought up.

I think EA was popping that "sign" in attempt to make it a thing, like some strange gang sign, and the Giant Bomb Justin.tv-thing broadcast ran with it. Lead to the 775 thing

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
just reminding me how I'd really love to find those old E3 streams, from this one and the years following. Before they left the house. I remember one year it happened during the post Laker championship riots. I remember fridge cams. I remember Dan Ryckert and a blue shirt prank.

Wunder

just reminding me how I'd really love to find those old E3 streams, from this one and the years following. Before they left the house. I remember one year it happened during the post Laker championship riots. I remember fridge cams. I remember Dan Ryckert and a blue shirt prank.

think they're on GB unarchived

jaina

I realized that there's no value in catching up on all the missed pages since before E3 (only checked in occasionally). About to close those tabs.

I didn't say it was bad. Just that it sounds kinda belanglos outside of the game on its own. I think that's a fair thing to say.
I'm listening to the Dustforce soundtrack. I like its... ephemeral-ness.
Nice, we're still allowing differing tastes in here. Same impression but demidar likes it that way.

Now back to the BitE video

For people that don't want to watch, GB was in a small, cramped house with a MUCH more ramshackle setup, lineup of guests, and hosting style. Two of the guests were Paul Barnett (Working at EA at the time) and Leigh Alexander (Had a bit much to drink at the time).

Paul Barnett talked about how the EA booth was giving out hats that put a SIMS-style plumbob above the heads of the wearer.

Leigh Alexander had gotten (seemingly) drunker than Lang/Boyes/JV combined, and in the span of one segment had expressed admiration for Nazi uniform fashion, claimed that the cost to rent the staples center for a night was 775 million dollars, had a slight wardrobe malfunction, was shouting FUCK THE ____ (some sports team) over and over again.

Someone put their thumbs and index fingers together above their heads to imitate the sims plumbob as one of Leigh's excitable moments was happening, as if it were a visual safeword kind of thing. Others did it, including as they signed off for the segment/night, and it became the iconic GBchat signoff.

Noteworthy that this led to a ton of shit being hurled Leigh's way, and she (probably deservedly) held (holds?) a huge grudge against the GB fanbase, and probably has some level of resentment to some members of the staff also. I haven't checked in on that in a while.

Nerokis

Ah this is where price based on feeling comes in.

In a perfect society I would go up to a seller of a rare gold Zelda cartridge, give him $1 for it, which more than enough covers the cost of plastic, and the seller would go "thank you sir for your kindness" and Id be on my way.

But when you take the value of feelings, you can say "that cartridge is worth $500" and some sucker would pay for it. Thankfully most of our spending is not governed by feelings.

I wish I could forget everything I've ever learned about economics.

Then this post wouldn't hurt so much.

Megasoum

Banned
For people that don't want to watch, GB was in a small, cramped house with a MUCH more ramshackle setup, lineup of guests, and hosting style. Two of the guests were Paul Barnett (Working at EA at the time) and Leigh Alexander (Had a bit much to drink at the time).

Paul Barnett talked about how the EA booth was giving out hats that put a SIMS-style plumbob above the heads of the wearer.

Leigh Alexander had gotten (seemingly) drunker than Lang/Boyes/JV combined, and in the span of one segment had expressed admiration for Nazi uniform fashion, claimed that the cost to rent the staples center for a night was 775 million dollars, had a slight wardrobe malfunction, was shouting FUCK THE ____ (some sports team) over and over again.

Someone put their thumbs and index fingers together above their heads to imitate the sims plumbob as one of Leigh's excitable moments was happening, as if it were a visual safeword kind of thing. Others did it, including as they signed off for the segment/night, and it became the iconic GBchat signoff.

Noteworthy that this led to a ton of shit being hurled Leigh's way, and she (probably deservedly) held (holds?) a huge grudge against the GB fanbase, and probably has some level of resentment to some members of the staff also. I haven't checked in on that in a while.

There was also that whole Ryan "accidently" screengrabing an aim conversation about her

Ashby

The Nazi uniform thing was 09, illegal amount of money was '10. In fact she was very mea culpa about 09 (these were just podcasts), saying she drank too much (I thought she was fine in '09, for what it's worth) but then the following year she was way sloppier. Like "this lady seems to have a drinking problem" sloppy.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's so weird how a dumb night with alcohol is never ever forgotten in a community like this. You said it yourself, it was more than 7 and 8 years ago.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

This fucking thread

Why pay for Giant Bomb premium?

Those exclusive videos they post every week? "It's just copied data."

Calling it "copied data" completely ignores the work that was put into the thing initially, before it was copied. It's fucking ridiculous.

That analogy makes no sense. Those Giant Bomb videos didn't exist beforehand. They are being made because of the support from subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom