• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, er... right. I forgot about that.

I've just gotten the impression that their QL output has been weaker than usual--much shorter and less informative than they used to be. But I guess last month had E3, also; so it's not that anomalous.

They've def posted less QLs this year than they have prior. Not sure if that's because there are less games though.

derFeef

And there's not much out on top of that. A remastered collection just came out and a Final Fantasy remaster next week. Unless they want to draw Shu as a riot cop, there's not much to QL until Splatoon 2.

Hm not sure I agree. I miss the smaller games quick looks, DLC quicklooks (yes, sometimes they are worth it), quirky games quicklooks.
I personally am not complaining, I am behind schedule anyway, but options are good :)

They used to QL almost every release, I'm sure Jeff said they are a lot pickier about what they choose to QL now (especially if it's Jeff/Brad driving it) which is probably for the best, even if the odd gem/car crash slips through the cracks.

derFeef

They used to QL almost every release, I'm sure Jeff said they are a lot pickier about what they choose to QL now (especially if it's Jeff/Brad driving it) which is probably for the best, even if the odd gem/car crash slips through the cracks.

I am personally less interested in them quicklooking the big releases, as they give their opinion on them on the podcast anyway. I would like to seea bit more of the trainwreck and funny moments games again.

What if I hate rockets though.

You should love rockets but hate Rocketbeans. What a trash bunch of people.

They've def posted less QLs this year than they have prior. Not sure if that's because there are less games though.
Tokyo Xanadu and Valkyria Revolution just recently came out. I feel like these are something they might have looked at back in the early days. These days I'm not holding my breath, in spite of Jeff having some nostalgia for the (Fa)Xanadu brand.

DId you miss all the 2D pixel art rogue-like quick looks.
Sigh. I'm sort of in a weird place now where I still enjoy GBs content over all, but their taste in games has significantly diverged for mine. The story driven third person shooter was my biggest overlap with them, but that genre has been decimated. And I think Ryan was big driver in digging up Japanese and other dumb mid-tier games, so the loss of him hurt as well. I didn't really care if they didn't like the games, listening to them rip on them was entertaining. A lot of these minimalistic/simplistic indies just make for boring QLs.

Some of the most memorable Quick Looks (Roller Coaster Rampage, for example) are from those car crash games that the duders don't seem to have time for anymore.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You really have to stand out as an indie now, I feel the same. "2D indie game" is almost a negative by now. Better look especially amazing or innovate in another area, or I probably won't even look at it again. And I used to play like one a month of these until pretty recently.

I did buy Hollow Knight in the Steam sale, though.

edit: I want them to do a QL of that Valkyria game. I need to know why it sucks so much.

gogosox82

Tokyo Xanadu and Valkyria Revolution just recently came out. I feel like these are something they might have looked at back in the early days. These days I'm not holding my breath, in spite of Jeff having some nostalgia for the (Fa)Xanadu brand.

Sigh. I'm sort of in a weird place now where I still enjoy GBs content over all, but their taste in games has significantly diverged for mine. The story driven third person shooter was my biggest overlap with them, but that genre has been decimated. And I think Ryan was big driver in digging up Japanese and other dumb mid-tier games, so the loss of him hurt as well. I didn't really care if they didn't like the games, listening to them rip on them was entertaining. A lot of these minimalistic/simplistic indies just make for boring QLs.

Patrick was also good about playing games outside of his comfort zone. Some he liked, some he didn't but he seemed to give games he usually wouldn't care about a chance. Austin also did a lot of ql for games you wouldn't normally see. Not sure if they have anyone like that on the site now.

Alienfan

I was pretty skeptical at first, but Abby ended up being a great choice for the east coast, especially on the podcast, her improv and Vinny's wit are a good match. Ben too. But God damn do they need an "academic" like Patrick or Austin to drive out the in depth discussions on all things games. Beastcast is a good fun time, it's more or less a comedy podcast, but I do find myself (literally sometimes) falling asleep during the bombcast. It's just a bunch of "it's a cool thing" or "it's garbage" mixed with some news, the email section is the only part worth listening to.

Teddified

I have been watching a lot of Giant Bomb quick looks lately, is there another site or youtube channel that does something similar?

Game Informer has Replay where they look at older games. Also they do test chamber where they look at newer games, I don't really watch the test chamber but Replay's are pretty good imo.

derFeef

Watching the Megadate, can someone explain the Jackbox games to me? How is it so contextual? Like the Answer being "Dan Ryckert" or "Alex Navarro" ?

Watching the Megadate, can someone explain the Jackbox games to me? How is it so contextual? Like the Answer being "Dan Ryckert" or "Alex Navarro" ?

I haven't watched all of the Megadate but if you are talking about Quiplash, it's basically like Cards Against Humanity but voted on by multiple people and the two answers pitted against each other are written by the players on their devices.

It is a lot of fun.

derFeef

I haven't watched all of the Megadate but if you are talking about Quiplash, it's basically like Cards Against Humanity but voted on by multiple people and the two answers pitted against each other are written by the players on their devices.

It is a lot of fun.

Ahh, so that's what the prewarming phase is, them writing the answers for later in the game. Thanks!

oti

Banned
zPGscaaJQI6PRMGsQ1f5tg.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAoYNV5O78

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Weird thing I noticed...why do they sometimes talk like UK means Europe? Latest Beastcast was another one, happened a few times before. They were comparing the different SNES and Abby called it "the UK on". No one would call it "the Spanish one", for example. I hope they know the difference!?

FluxWaveZ

Weird thing I noticed...why do they sometimes talk like UK means Europe? Latest Beastcast was another one, happened a few times before. They were comparing the different SNES and Abby called it "the UK on". No one would call it "the Spanish one", for example. I hope they know the difference!?

Sometimes people say "USA" like it means "North America."

It definitely is weird that they omitted some big games from Quick Looks. Dawn of War III, which ended up pretty mediocre, never got a QL, and Full Throttle Remaster, of which there are big Full Throttle fans on the team, didn't get a QL either.

oti

Banned

Let me repeat myself:

The GB crew doesn't know anything about Europe.
We need a European at GB.
They could judge Dan.
24/7.
That's the content I want.

imBask

Banned
no please, no Yuropeen on GiantBomb... they're going to mess up the schedule and post stuff at like 4 AM for no reasons

GET A REAL CLOCK, GOSH

oti

Banned
no please, no Yuropeen on GiantBomb... they're going to mess up the schedule and post stuff at like 4 AM for no reasons

GET A REAL CLOCK, GOSH

Imagine waking up in the morning in Trumpland and you have fresh new #EuropeContent waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom