• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think that's fair criticism, though. They don't really go deep when talking about games and it's not always been like that. That can be fine when you just want to have a certain amount of generic news coverage, but for a several hour long gaming podcast, it's kinda bad.

But even then they dont play the same games? Like Zelda and Horizon theyve gone in on a bit because multiple people played it, otherwise it turns into a "Im gonna talk about a game and nobody will have meaningful input because they havent played it."

Yeah itd be cool if they all played the same games to talk about them in a timely matter and not just for the goty, but..thats I dont go to giant bomb for that

While it's good for what it is, The Surge is such an also ran that it would never hang. You know they'd disqualify it on that basis. It was born in a prison with no hope for escape.
It's my 2ND favorite game this year, heard Brad and Ben talk about it on one bombcast and never brought it up again lol.

Heard there is Holiday DLC coming, that will bring me back in.

Joeku

We're never going to become as gods at this rate

I wonder if the shine of Zelda will have worn off a bit by GotY time and whether or not that second DLC reinforces it or makes it clearer. Cuz that's the only way Nier could possibly make top 3 at this point after pubg and Mario. Assuming Mario really is as amazing as it looks, at least.

Wait wait is The Surge actually good?

While it's not a high bar, it's easily the best non-From Souls game. And it has a couple of interesting mechanics all on its own that make it stand out. A little bland overall to look at, but it generally plays really well.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I can't remember what most of them have finished. Ben and Dan finished Zelda and maybe Brad too? Has anyone finished Horizon apart from Jeff?

Brad reviewed mass effect, and there's destiny 2 this year so that's a safe bet.

I think Rorie is the only other one that finished horizon.

Wereroku

Wait wait is The Surge actually good?

Yep it is actually pretty fun. Between it and Nioh I ended up not bothering with the DS3 dlc.

Oh, damn. Here I was thinking it was just another failed attempt at recreating the Souls magic. Maybe I'll check it out then.

If you like sci-fi the story is good. The actually fighting system is a little different so you will have to get use to it.

Does The Surge have different environments and varying enemies? I've kept away from Nioh for those reasons and Code Vein looks the same but I love the art style :/

It has different environments but being in a factory setting for most of the game gives them a samey sort of feeling but you can tell them apart. The reused environments and enemies of Nioh don't bother me so I might not be a good reference to you though.

Does The Surge have different environments and varying enemies? I've kept away from Nioh for those reasons and Code Vein looks the same but I love the art style :/

Joeku

I'm about halfway through the game, but not really. It's almost entirely factory/industry and guys in robo suits + little drones.

Kind of it's biggest problem for me is that 20 hours into the game looks the same as the very beginning.

Edit: Dark Souls tends to get away with it because it's a bunch of universes sandwiching together so wild swings a la
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
in Dark Souls 3 can be found. Given that The Surge is sci-fi, they could have gone a little more...theme park with it.

It's all set in the company facility that you work for, so the environments are similar but they have different settings. It's a warehouse, so a lot of metal crates, machinery, and hallways and elevators but it works well aesthetically.

This Thread is now SurgeGaf.

200px-Lt_Surge_anime.png

I'll be making the next thread but I'll be posting it abit late (like past 400 pages by 1 or 2 due to shit I have to do tomorrow & after). Unless someone else has a theme all ready and shit because I'm currently making one. What do you guys want the title to be? I kind of want it to be Vinny's CBS rant but as the FISH said, too many words! We may have to shorten it.

To be on topic, I have no interest in the Surge. One Dark Souls like game is enough in one year, which is Nioh for me.

I'll be making the next thread but I'll be posting it abit late (like past 400 pages by 1 or 2 due to shit I have to do tomorrow & after). Unless someone else has a theme all ready and shit because I'm currently making one. What do you guys want the title to be? I kind of want it to be Vinny's CBS rant but as the FISH said, too many words! We may have to shorten it.

To be on topic, I have no interest in the Surge. One Dark Souls like game is enough in one year, which is Nioh for me.

Giant Bomb XXX: We're the turd off Gamespot

It's the equivalent of what plays when you would sit at a campfire in a Souls game.

It's the equivalent of me cutting my ears off BECAUSE COUNTRY IN SPACE

TraBuch

Banned
Hearing Bakalar tell Dan to fondle his third nipple might legit be the most uncomfortable I've ever felt listening to a podcast.

I'm about halfway through the game, but not really. It's almost entirely factory/industry and guys in robo suits + little drones.

Kind of it's biggest problem for me is that 20 hours into the game looks the same as the very beginning.

Edit: Dark Souls tends to get away with it because it's a bunch of universes sandwiching together so wild swings a la
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
in Dark Souls 3 can be found. Given that The Surge is sci-fi, they could have gone a little more...theme park with it.

It's all set in the company facility that you work for, so the environments are similar but they have different settings. It's a warehouse, so a lot of metal crates, machinery, and hallways and elevators but it works well aesthetically.

Thanks!

I'll stay clear :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom