• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

LiK

I'm probably part of the problem, but the Undertale fanbase did sour my experience with the game. I'm sure it's enjoyable and fun and deserves what legitimate praise it gets, but being told that I just don't understand why it's literally the best thing since the creation of life itself is because I hadn't played it in the right order nor have I beaten it the required number of times to truly get it.

That Undertale thread still haunts me. It totally should, but it does. Rabid is too tame a word.

I was lucky. I played and beat it before it became so big. Much thanks to Austin for his QL. I watched the first 5 min and immediately quit the QL to play it. Didn't wanna be spoiled.

I agree about the UT fandom and I adored the game. Some people are just too crazy about it.

I'm probably part of the problem, but the Undertale fanbase did sour my experience with the game. I'm sure it's enjoyable and fun and deserves what legitimate praise it gets, but being told that I just don't understand why it's literally the best thing since the creation of life itself is because I hadn't played it in the right order nor have I beaten it the required number of times to truly get it.

That Undertale thread still haunts me. It totally should, but it does. Rabid is too tame a word.

Same here

Zero315

Banned
Not wanting to watch rick and morty because of the fan base reminds me of when they refused to play Witcher 3 because people kept telling them to. You can easily enjoy something without interacting with it’s fanbase which is probably how the vast majority of Rick and morty viewers do it.
I had someone tell me a few days ago that they don't want to watch Game of Thrones because it's so popular and I rolled my eyes so hard.

I love R&M, but yeah the fan base is insane. Pickle Rick and the McDonald's sauce are two prime examples of them taking a neat joke and running it into the fucking ground. It became even weirder to me once the episode aired and we found out why he turned himself into a pickle.

Edit: The fan base putting you off a game though. That's kinda how I started to feel about BotW and I'm getting there with PUBG.

REZ versus No Man's Sky fight for my money CRITICAL UPDATE!

Just found out my brother bought a RIFT. VR is now a thing I could do at his place

So... REZ? + set up steam sharing?

Zeroro

I played Undertale in December the year it came out. It's a really good game (with an even better soundtrack), but I can understand why the fanbase thing would turn people away.

I was gonna say that it's relatively easy to just ignore it, but then I thought about how I ended up doing the same thing with Rick and Morty, except it goes more towards the creators than the fans in that instance.

Oakinn

Never played Undertale, its out in a few weeks for PS4. Debating playing it. Is it worth the hype that it got? I know little about the game.

LiK

REZ versus No Man's Sky fight for my money CRITICAL UPDATE!

My brother bought a RIFT. VR is now a thing I could do at his place

So... REZ? + set up steam sharing?

Yes. Enjoy euphoria.

Never played Undertale, its out in a few weeks for PS4. Debating playing it. Is it worth the hype that it got? I know little about the game.

YES, make sure to play it completely blind. Don't look up anything about it.

derFeef

Now watching Bradth of the Wild makes me wanting to play BOTW and I wish for more Brad (running) content :(
edit: Colleague made Undertale cosplay for herself.

I can definitely understand being pushed away by a thing's fanbase, simply associating annoying people with a piece of media can quickly erode your desire to check it out, but I've been trying to keep myself from doing that ever since trying Supernatural a few years ago and realizing I really dug it.

Whether or not it lives up to the hype is hard to say, I guess, but I think it's fantastic. (And +1 to playing it as blind as possible.)

BTA

I had someone tell me a few days ago that they don't want to watch Game of Thrones because it's so popular and I rolled my eyes so hard.

I love R&M, but yeah the fan base is insane. Pickle Rick and the McDonald's sauce are two prime examples of them taking a neat joke and running it into the fucking ground. It became even weirder to me once the episode aired and we found out why he turned himself into a pickle.

Edit: The fan base putting you off a game though. That's kinda how I started to feel about BotW and I'm getting there with PUBG.

At this point, I wouldn't roll my eyes at someone making a smart decision even if it's for a bad reason. So many people still think they should watch GoT because popular = good when so much of it has been bad.

also I have no idea what the pickle thing even is beyond Ko Takeuchi making fanart of it the other day

Lari

I can definitely understand being pushed away by a thing's fanbase, simply associating annoying people with a piece of media can quickly erode your desire to check it out, but I've been trying to keep myself from doing that ever since trying Supernatural a few years ago and realizing I really dug it.

Yeah, I avoided watching Amélie Poulain for years because of people who incessantly kept pestering me to watch it.
When I finally did, I actually loved the movie.

daveo42

Banned
More people should realize a thing being popular doesn't necessarily mean it's actually good. The best example I can think of is The Walking Dead.

Oakinn

And so it begins.

I have not watched a single episode despite people telling me it would be "my thing" Nah thanks.

looking for where it was recommended it to you.....

still looking....

....weird. not here.

Well all the same, you just keep on keeping on

Lari

I like GoT even when it's bad.

But also I don't keep telling people to watch it, I only geek out about it among fellow thronies.

I might also buy No Mans Sky because I am a grown up with no self control

Same, been trying to curb gaming purchases recently as there will be a metric fuckton of games in the fall, not to mention some worthless shitbag got my debit card number somehow and sucked almost $1100 out of my bank account, but dammit that new update looked too damn good.

Plus I am bargaining with myself that it comes down between getting this and waiting to get Undertale until sometime in the future, or skipping this and getting Undertale on Tuesday. I think getting NMS is going to win this argument.

More people should realize a thing being popular doesn't necessarily mean it's actually good. The best example I can think of is The Walking Dead.

This was the show that made me tune out the "opinion of the masses" permanently. Watched the first season, thought it was ok and had potential. Forgot about the show when season two happened (recapped by friends and boy did that seem like a bad season), watched all of season three (where every episode spent the majority of the time building up to the next episode and nothing ever really happens), then stopped watching completely. I honestly do not get what people see in that show, who knew they could make a zombie apocalypse so boring?

My entire GOT experience was watching the first episode with my dad when it aired and feeling awkward when all the sex happened.

Never watched episode 2. Good to have a show like that I could watch at any point though.

Zero315

Banned
At this point, I wouldn't roll my eyes at someone making a smart decision even if it's for a bad reason. So many people still think they should watch GoT because popular = good when so much of it has been bad.

also I have no idea what the pickle thing even is beyond Ko Takeuchi making fanart of it the other day
The person I rolled my eyes at watches Basketball Wives and Love & Hip-Hop every week.

I can respect someone saying "it's not my thing" or "I don't think it's good" but something being popular as the sole reason you refuse to watch it is just dumb.

GoT is overall better than Mad Men don't @ me

Lari

Good to have a show like that I could watch at any point though.

That's Westworld to me, saving it for a rainy weekend someday.

GoT used to be that show to me, I didn't watch a minute of it until last year when I decided to give it a shot and ended up marathoning the first 5 seasons in just two weeks.

I feel we're at a point where the people who still feel the need to complain about Undertale fandom are more annoying than the fandom itself. The game's like 20 years old already.

I now own REZ.

I might also buy No Mans Sky because I am a grown up with no self control

Never play a F2P game. I just started playing Path of Exile again and 2 hours then accidentally opened the premium store "Wow! I can make my flaming skulls green for only 10 bucks!" then an hour later "Well, now that I've got this sweet green flaming skull theme going for me I might as well commit and finish it off...."

def sim

I feel we're at a point where the people who still feel the need to complain about Undertale fandom are more annoying than the fandom itself. The game's like 20 years old already.

Back then they said it was all over tumblr and all I could think was, "Who the fuck uses tumblr?"

oti

Banned
Just won 10 matches of Splat Zones (best Ranked Mode) in a row and reached A-. Cool.

Tried For Honor today (the free weekend is going on, go and download it if you're interested). I can see why some people really love it. But not my cup of tea. It looks real pretty though on my PC.

Monster Hunter Stories demo is a bit weird. You can tell that game was not designed for the ancient 3DS hardware. Battle system is kinda boring too. But it's pretty charming and the graphics are really good for a 3DS game. You can also transfer your save game to the full game if you want to.

I also downloaded XCOM 2 on Steam. Maybe I'll start that up this weekend.

PUBG stream was entertaining.

Top Bottom